Eternal Seasons

WingsFan95

Mar 22, 2008
Kanata
Single season performances that will stand for all time, alone.

Due to several reasons, rule changes, style of play, number of teams/ quality of opponents etc

First thing that comes to mind is George Hainsworth's 28/29 season, that's never gonna be touched, not only did he get a shutout in half of the games he played, all his 22 wins came with a shutout.

Another season I think is impossible to ever really outdo is The Rocket's 50 in 50.

Orr's two Art Ross seasons will probably never be done again, I mean when the NHL was offensively in the gutter, from the late 90s until the lockout, that was the best chance for a D-Man to lead the league in scoring.

pitseleh

Jul 30, 2005
Vancouver
Hainsworth's season was great no doubt, but it's a little bit misleading because it came during a ridiculously low scoring season. Most goalies were posting GAA of slightly more than 1.0 and many had between 10 and 15 shutouts that year.

Richard's 50 in 50 came in a season where the league was severely depleted due to the war.

Tough not to mention Gretzky's 200+ point seasons. Bobby Hull's goal scoring seasons where he was hitting 50 and the rest of the league struggled to break 30 were really something. Gordie Howe's prime seasons were all incredible as well.

WingsFan95

Mar 22, 2008
Kanata
How about Gretzky's 50 in 39?

You could argue Gretzky played in the offensively explosive era, but I think the NHL's coming back so I expect a player to do something similair to that, and plus Cam Neeley came pretty close to matching that in his mega season.

tazzy19

Mar 27, 2008
You could argue Gretzky played in the offensively explosive era, but I think the NHL's coming back so I expect a player to do something similair to that, and plus Cam Neeley came pretty close to matching that in his mega season.
But even if a player does it, will he do it in such convincing fashion (dominating the rest of the league)? Gretzky had 50 goals before anyone else had 30. And unlike Cam Neely's impressive season, he did it without missing any games. Gretzky also holds the record for 2nd fastest to 50 goals.

Passchendaele

Dec 11, 2006
In today's NHL, a defensemen wouldn't be allowed to be in the offensive zone often enough to win a scoring championship.

the_speedster

Jul 7, 2007
another thread started in a pathetic attempt to take swipes at wayne....:shakehead Sorry pud, the greatest seasons belond to the great one... breaking the 200pt barrier multiple times... walking away with every meaningful offensive award.... stanley cups, accolades from your felow players/hall of famers... give it up man, give it up

Sens Rule

Sep 22, 2005
another thread started in a pathetic attempt to take swipes at wayne....:shakehead Sorry pud, the greatest seasons belond to the great one... breaking the 200pt barrier multiple times... walking away with every meaningful offensive award.... stanley cups, accolades from your felow players/hall of famers... give it up man, give it up

I'd like to see a ban from the History of Hockey board personally. For these 2 one trick ponies that suddenly popped up and pollute this entire board with solely anti-Gretzky rhetoric. I mean hundreds of posts in a few weeks with nothing at all usefull to say on only one subject.

But hey what do I know.

norrisnick

The best...
Apr 14, 2005
Single season performances that will stand for all time, alone.

Due to several reasons, rule changes, style of play, number of teams/ quality of opponents etc

First thing that comes to mind is George Hainsworth's 28/29 season, that's never gonna be touched, not only did he get a shutout in half of the games he played, all his 22 wins came with a shutout.

Another season I think is impossible to ever really outdo is The Rocket's 50 in 50.

Orr's two Art Ross seasons will probably never be done again, I mean when the NHL was offensively in the gutter, from the late 90s until the lockout, that was the best chance for a D-Man to lead the league in scoring.

Scoreless ties existed back in the day.

the_speedster

Jul 7, 2007
In today's NHL, a defensemen wouldn't be allowed to be in the offensive zone often enough to win a scoring championship.

you are really really young.... bobby orr was NOT allowed into the offensive zone.. they just couldn't catch him. This includes bobby hull who was more than a match for the fastest nhl players of today... okay you can go back to rubbing yourself against the ovechkin bobble head...:yo:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad