Espo on Tretiak

DaaaaB's

Apr 24, 2004
That's is not true sir. Canadians care about the WHC. I am pretty damn sure when the WHC comes to Canada in 2008 the building will be jammed packed to the rafters. So please don't speak for all Canadians, a lot of us care about the WHC.
A lot of us fans do care about it but no where near to the extent we care about the Stanley Cup, World Cup or Olympics. The players for the most part don't care about the WHC. That's why so many turn down the opportunity to play in it.

DaaaaB's

Apr 24, 2004
On paper we sent the best team in the tournament. We were outplayed in the finals and we lost...it happens. Why do you have such a hard time giving respect to other countries?
Maybe he does because they don't give us respect.

Tretiak

Jun 19, 2003
www.russianhockey.net
Phil Esposito riled the Russians with comments he made to Sovetsky Sport in 2004, regarding Vladislav Tretiak.

"No, I didn't think Tretiak was a great player; he was okay, not great," Espo says. "My brother, Tony, would have had a hundred shutouts — if he played with that team."

Bob Clarke also had hard words for Soviet goalie Vladislav Tretiak, who carved his name into the Canadian psyche with his play in the series (1972).

"I thought Tretiak was getting -- and continues to get -- far too much respect for the way he was playing," Clarke said. "As the series wore on and our shots got harder and more accurate, we started to pick him apart. As far as I'm concerned, Tretiak is in the Hall of Fame based on success he had in the Olympics and world championships when the Soviets were playing inferior opposition most of the time."

:sarcasm:

Ol' Jase

Steaming bowls of rich, creamy justice.
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2005
BC
Martin St. Louis, Joe Sakic, Brad Richards, Alex Tanguay, Jarome Iginla, Chris Pronger, Scott Niedermayer, Vincent Lecavalier...

I know those players are insignificant to you but, I would put them on the team ahead of the Hannans and Walkers of the world. Jamie Heward? LOL

Face it. The World Championships is pretty much meaningless to Canadians. Why are you trying to convince us that we care? We don't. It is a hollow victory because it has NEVER been a best on best tournament. It is no more important than the Spengler Cup to us. Capiche?

I know I'd appriciate if you would speak for yourself and not for all Canadians, thanks.

Ol' Jase

Steaming bowls of rich, creamy justice.
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2005
BC
A lot of us fans do care about it but no where near to the extent we care about the Stanley Cup, World Cup or Olympics. The players for the most part don't care about the WHC. That's why so many turn down the opportunity to play in it.

So many turn it down because of when the tournament takes place, not because of some 'lack of interest'.

Ogopogo*

So many turn it down because of when the tournament takes place, not because of some 'lack of interest'.

LOL.

Would you turn down Charlize Theron for a night of bedroom fun because you are tired after work. "Sorry Charlize, it isn't a lack of interest, you just picked a bad time"

People always do what is important to them. The World Championships isn't that important to Canadians.

notmynhl

Jan 30, 2007
Vancouver
It would be hard to argue that for Canada and Canadians privledged enough to watch, the '72 Summit Series was the ultimate hockey event in the last 50 years, probably of all time. It is hard to describe the feeling at the time, but suffice it to say our national identity hung in the balance.

So, for me, based on that series alone, Tretiak goes to the HHOF. Hopefully Paul Henderson also gets in. Game winning goals in Games 6, 7, and 8. Talk about clutch!

RorschachWJK

Dec 28, 2004
LOL.

Would you turn down Charlize Theron for a night of bedroom fun because you are tired after work. "Sorry Charlize, it isn't a lack of interest, you just picked a bad time"

People always do what is important to them. The World Championships isn't that important to Canadians.

Numerous Canadians here have asked you to speak only for yourself and not as if you're the face of Canada or something. I'd suggest you follow that advice in that matter.

VanIslander

A 19-year ATDer on HfBoards
Sep 4, 2004
I thought it was well known that Canadians overrate Tretiak.

I recall Russians in the early '80s saying Tretiak was waaaay overrated.

The mystique of the Russians. French Canadians still hold it.

I think Khabibulin, from the early days of the Bulin Wall onward, has been the best Russian goalie I've ever seen. Though Russian goalies of any era can't hold a candle to the talent in the nets of Finland these days.

Ogopogo*

Numerous Canadians here have asked you to speak only for yourself and not as if you're the face of Canada or something. I'd suggest you follow that advice in that matter.

If the World Championships was important, our best would always go. As soon as a team is eliminated from the playoffs, their top Canadains would join the team. That doesn't happen. A lot of Canadian players choose to stay home.

These are facts. People can ask me to not share them but, that doesn't make them any less true.

I listed 8 top Canadians that did not participate in the 2005 World Championships. What else did they have to do during that time?

People always do what is important to them.

Last edited by a moderator:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->