ESPN will NOT carry NHL next season

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bruwinz37

Feb 27, 2002
kmad said:
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/8011208/

As a Canadian, this doesn't affect me directly, but I feel sorry for the American hockey fans

I dont understand why any hockey fan doesnt get Center Ice anyway. I barely watched ESPN games so it didnt really effect me......besides playoffs and someone will pick that up anyway.

Drrocket9

Sep 29, 2004
CNBC or MSNBC might not be the worst place to show games

they couldnt do any worse with their ratings.

CNBC dropped many of the entertainment shows and seem to want to go back to more news and business. it couldnt hurt for them to show 2 games a week at 5 pm. they have the deal with NBC so why not put games on those channels, which are available to nearly 100% of the US cable audience.

im seriously not as bothered by this as long as im assured that our local Fox Sports Bay Area would show a majority of Sharks game this upcoming season.

they even added a plus channel that they were going to utilize this season so if there were conflicts with Warriors basketball, and other college sports that they could show games on each channel. im hopeful that if the NHL returns in October that Fox will show 60-70 Sharks games.

oil slick

Feb 6, 2004
StanJohns said:
they couldnt do any worse with their ratings.

CNBC dropped many of the entertainment shows and seem to want to go back to more news and business. it couldnt hurt for them to show 2 games a week at 5 pm. they have the deal with NBC so why not put games on those channels, which are available to nearly 100% of the US cable audience.

im seriously not as bothered by this as long as im assured that our local Fox Sports Bay Area would show a majority of Sharks game this upcoming season.

they even added a plus channel that they were going to utilize this season so if there were conflicts with Warriors basketball, and other college sports that they could show games on each channel. im hopeful that if the NHL returns in October that Fox will show 60-70 Sharks games.
I heard the regional fox broadcasts were not doing too badly... so I suspect that you'll be safe.

Bruwinz37

Feb 27, 2002
What about a channel like FX? They are an up and coming station and are affiliated with Fox (Fox Sports carries regionally). I think the NHL would be a good fit for them as they capture the demographic they are looking for and fill their schedule with programming that arent 5 year old movies.

Pavel

Mar 1, 2004
Houston
Center Ice is the answer anyway. I watch ESPN less and less every day. I don't see how any hockey fan in the States could live without the Center Ice package. This doesn't affect me one bit.

salty justice

May 25, 2004
Los Angeles
F ESPN. I really hope I never see them ruin another hockey game. This will undoubtedly hurt the NHL financially, but I think it will be better for the American hockey fan. Someone else will pick them up and cover more games, even if the NHL doesnt make as much money off of it. So I really could care less.

Sixty Six

Feb 28, 2003
Pittsburgh, PA
Visit site
Pavel said:
Center Ice is the answer anyway. I watch ESPN less and less every day. I don't see how any hockey fan in the States could live without the Center Ice package. This doesn't affect me one bit.

I don't get the Center Ice package because i'm in college and as long as i can follow the pens i'm happy, plus all the playoffs were on anyway so i was quite content. You dont' need to see every game to follow the NHL

Brazilian Avs Fan

That's AMAZING news for me :D
I mean, I'm live in Latin America, we barely have hockey on tv here in Brazil. We've got 1 (or maximum of 2) games per week.

So....... it means the NHL is going to transmit all games on the INTERNET! :handclap: Can you imagine? I'm gonna be able to buy the games I'd like to watch LIVE from my computer?
That would be great.

salty justice

May 25, 2004
Los Angeles
Brazilian Avs Fan said:
That's AMAZING news for me :D
I mean, I'm live in Latin America, we barely have hockey on tv here in Brazil. We've got 1 (or maximum of 2) games per week.

So....... it means the NHL is going to transmit all games on the INTERNET! :handclap: Can you imagine? I'm gonna be able to buy the games I'd like to watch LIVE from my computer?
That would be great.

Im not going to expect it, but they really should have started doing this years ago. You can stream MLB games for free even though they have plenty of fans and TV time. I cant wait til hockey does this too.

Bruwinz37

Feb 27, 2002
theBob said:
Im not going to expect it, but they really should have started doing this years ago. You can stream MLB games for free even though they have plenty of fans and TV time. I cant wait til hockey does this too.

MLB streaming is not free.

Brazilian Avs Fan

It would be even SWEETER if the NHL could set it free, in order to apologize to the fans, everything because of this long lockout. :handclap: Maaan.. can you imagine streaming NHL games for free??

Could you listen to me Bettman? BETTMAN?? :jump: take a look at this idea!! lol!

ColoradoHockeyFan

Feb 17, 2005
Denver area
From the article:
Updated: 9:10 a.m. ET June 1, 2005
When I saw the thread title, I thought this was a new development, but this appears to be a report from the same news about ESPN early this week, no? So I don't think we're any less likely to see ESPN and the NHL get back together (and likely negotiate a lower rights fee) than we were several days ago. Or am I reading this wrong?

txomisc

Mar 18, 2002
California
Visit site
Bruwinz37 said:
I dont understand why any hockey fan doesnt get Center Ice anyway. I barely watched ESPN games so it didnt really effect me......besides playoffs and someone will pick that up anyway.
Not that I really want to, but I'd gladly pay twice as much for Center Ice.

NYR2

Feb 19, 2004
New York
ESPN sucks anyway. The only time I watch them is for Around The Horn and PTI, and if a Yankee or Ranger game is on. Other than that I have no reason to watch because I hate that station with a passion. I plan on getting Center Ice when hockey comes back, I'm so psyched I can't wait.

NJD Jester

Nov 14, 2003
DC
www.njdevilsbook.com
It's interesting how these boards break when it comes to ESPN.

There are plenty of fans who feel ESPN has done more harm to hockey than good, in the way the games were presented and in the way the sport was pushed aside of other ventures (the NBA and ESPN original programming, for example).

Then there's the other side of the fans, who feel not being on ESPN brings the NHL down to Arena Football status -- marginalized because the WORLDWIDE LEADER IN SPORTS is no longer saving a seat for it at the table.

I find truth in both viewpoints. ESPN did a piss poor job selling the sport, from in-game promotion to its choice of announcers. (Brian Engblom, anyone? Steve Levy, for christsake?)

But the last time a "major" league tried to go it alone without any ESPN hands in its cookie jar was a few years ago, with something called the "XFL." And by Week 2, their highlights were about 33 seconds of airtime on SportsCenter.

HF2002

Aug 20, 2003
Ottawa
Visit site
Yesterday on the FAN590 they talked about broadcasting games and touched on what the NFL and NBC has done and what MLB is now doing - broadcasting the regional game to great success. The NHL wasn't doing this with the deals they had because they were so focussed on the larger national broadcast.

I was thinking about it and realized that I would really rather watch my favourite team than watch two other, better teams play each other. Fortunately for me, and like some other wise people, I'm a Sens fan. We always get to watch the best team play.

And then the playoffs start... (insert any joke relating to abject failure right here)

Sixty Six

Feb 28, 2003
Pittsburgh, PA
Visit site
NJD Jester said:
It's interesting how these boards break when it comes to ESPN.

There are plenty of fans who feel ESPN has done more harm to hockey than good, in the way the games were presented and in the way the sport was pushed aside of other ventures (the NBA and ESPN original programming, for example).

Then there's the other side of the fans, who feel not being on ESPN brings the NHL down to Arena Football status -- marginalized because the WORLDWIDE LEADER IN SPORTS is no longer saving a seat for it at the table.

I find truth in both viewpoints. ESPN did a piss poor job selling the sport, from in-game promotion to its choice of announcers. (Brian Engblom, anyone? Steve Levy, for christsake?)

But the last time a "major" league tried to go it alone without any ESPN hands in its cookie jar was a few years ago, with something called the "XFL." And by Week 2, their highlights were about 33 seconds of airtime on SportsCenter.

yeah but i'd compare the XFL to if the WHA ever started up again because its a new league w/ no history... the NHL is a league full of history, it'll still get its highlight spots

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
kmad said:
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/8011208/

As a Canadian, this doesn't affect me directly, but I feel sorry for the American hockey fans
They discussed this on the Fan 590 last week ..

That leaves NBC deal only that the NHL gets no money for, unless there are profits and then they sahre

The NBC national contract deal commitment is to televise 11 regular season games and 11 playoff games only .. Thats it ..thats all and that is PATHETIC ..

19nazzy

Jul 14, 2003
The Messenger said:
They discussed this on the Fan 590 last week ..

That leaves NBC deal only that the NHL gets no money for, unless there are profits and then they sahre

The NBC national contract deal commitment is to televise 11 regular season games and 11 playoff games only .. Thats it ..thats all and that is PATHETIC ..
Well...they aren't even paying for it so.......

dulzhok

Feb 20, 2003
Visit site
I think ESPN was responsible for keeping the NHL in the "big four" category the past few years. Yes, their coverage was spotty, and their marketing was questionable, but they did one thing-- they always had hockey highlights on Sportscenter on a daily basis. As many know, sportscenter is the "the" show for sports fans. If ESPN deems the NHL not worthy of sportscenter highlights, I think that is when you can officially say that the NHL is not a "big four" sport. Sportcenter has that kind of power.

Last edited:

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
19nazzy said:
Well...they aren't even paying for it so.......
Is that the Great Bettman's grow the game plan in the States giving away for free a national TV contract and broadcasting 11 regular season games a year?.

Wow the man is a genius .. Anyone in real life that produced those results would be fired so fast its not funny.

That is just pathetic .. Then he goes into CBA talks with the only option making the players accountable and partners in the business that shows such lofty creativity.

Remind me again how much a FREE national TV deal adds to total league revenue to bump that Hard Cap figure up ??

19nazzy

Jul 14, 2003
The Messenger said:
Is that the Great Bettman's grow the game plan in the States giving away for free a national TV contract and broadcasting 11 regular season games a year?.

Wow the man is a genius .. Anyone in real life that produced those results would be fired so fast its not funny.

That is just pathetic .. Then he goes into CBA talks with the only option making the players accountable and partners in the business that shows such lofty creativity.

Remind me again how much a FREE national TV deal adds to total league revenue to bump that Hard Cap figure up ??
$0 and 0 cents.
Then again, having no season this year adds no revenue either...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad