News Article: ESPN: Why the Jets should be the envy of the NHL

AlphaLackey

Mar 21, 2013
Winnipeg, MB
Best thing I’ve read about the Jets in awhile.

Anyone know which coffee shop they’re talking about? I got a few ideas I wanna share with Chevy...

Don't know about a coffee shop, but I've seen him at this little Italian eatery on Corydon called "It's-a Process!". He didn't order anything himself, but he did put in a wire claim on my leftover fettucini carbI HAVE NO FRIGGIN' IDEA WHERE I'M GOING WITH THIS ANYMORE

one other person

Tripping thru time and space
Feb 19, 2018
Sunny St. Somewhere
Don't know about a coffee shop, but I've seen him at this little Italian eatery on Corydon called "It's-a Process!". He didn't order anything himself, but he did put in a wire claim on my leftover fettucini carbI HAVE NO FRIGGIN' IDEA WHERE I'M GOING WITH THIS ANYMORE
And no doubt there was a plate of warmer and better Pasta Primavera leftover at another table that he could have claimed, but didn't because he's a terrible judge of Italian food...

Reactions: AlphaLackey

DudeWhereIsMakar

Bergevin sent me an offer sheet
Apr 25, 2014
Winnipeg
It sounds like the rebuilding phase in Chicago was Chevy's idea. But out of all the teams in the NHL, the Jets look the healthiest and freshest.

Jets 31

This Dude loves the Jets and GIF's
Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg
The fact a player of Stasthy's caliber waved his no movement clause to come to Winnipeg basically tells you alot about how good this franchise is getting . And it wasn't like St. Louis was right out of the playoff picture and he wanted to get off a sinking ship . Good times , good times . :nod:

Reactions: Jaska

Howard Chuck

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 24, 2012
Winnipeg
Well the quotes in that article confirm what we all thought over the past few years. Patiently playing the young guys, the vets buying in, maybe even a few home-town discounts to keep the gang together.

Everyone from top to bottom was involved in this and it's great to see. That's kind of how the team plays now as well, top to bottom everyone is involved.

It certainly sounds like Chevy's process worked!

mcpw

WPG
Jan 13, 2015
Of course this article completely ignores that PauMau wanted absolutely nothing to do with a youth movement early 2015-16 and tried to win with the veterans on a poorly assembled roster, only playing the young guys as much as he absolutely had to. Man, what a frustrating time that was. But we did get Laine out of that mess. And I think PauMau learned a thing or two during that time. I wonder how often Chevy had to sit down and talk to him...

Last edited:

YWGinYYZ

Jul 3, 2011
Toronto
Of course this article completely ignores that PauMau wanted absolutely nothing to do with a youth movement early 2015-16 and tried to win with the veterans on a poorly assembled roster, only playing the young guys as much as he absolutely had to. Man, what a frustrating time that was. But we did get Laine out of that mess. And I think PauMau learned a thing or two during that time. I wonder how often Chevy had to sit down and talk to him...

Probably once. Do it this way, or there's the door.

It's quite possible it was a shared goal, but I think it would have had to originate from someone who's looking at the franchise from a long term perspective. Coaches don't get that luxury.

Weezeric

Jan 27, 2015

Couldn't disagree more.

Giving young players opportunity and developing them isn't the same as just giving them everything right away. Just look at how the thrashers "developed" burmi and bogosian compared to Ehlers and morrisey for example. You can't argue with the results .

mcpw

WPG
Jan 13, 2015
Couldn't disagree more.

Giving young players opportunity and developing them isn't the same as just giving them everything right away. Just look at how the thrashers "developed" burmi and bogosian compared to Ehlers and morrisey for example. You can't argue with the results .

2015-16, lineup in games 20-31 with average TOI (I took a break from this board during that exact time):

Ladd (20:37) - Little (20:38) - Wheeler (20:03)
Perreault (17:40) - Scheifele (18:01) - Stafford (18:31)
Ehlers (13:38) - Burmistrov (14:12) - Thorburn (11:15)
Lowry (9:59) - Copp (6:39) - Peluso (6:57)

Enstrom (19:24) - Myers (22:36)
Stuart (15:53) - Trouba (21:09)
Chiarot (13:40) / Pardy (13:40) - Byfuglien (24:15)

note:
- Scheifele's icetime down from his 14-15 average 18:35
- Trouba's icetime down from his 14-15 average 23:18
- Lowry's icetime down from his 14-15 average 13:45

This is not what development looks like. That's what it looks like when the coach thinks he has to win, and the only way to achieve that is by playing the few veterans his GM provided him with. I mean he even cut the minutes of Scheifele and Trouba ffs. Things started to change in January.

Imcanadianeh

Nov 1, 2015
All I can say is I’m certainly happy that the young guys weren’t developed “properly” according to many posters on here.

Clearly the way they were developed worked out great cause Scheifele, Ehlers, Connor, Laine, Trouba, Morrissey, Lowry all look great.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->