ESPN to keep hockey

Status
Not open for further replies.

kerrly

May 16, 2004
Regina
FLYLine4LIFE said:
More realistic then yours was.

The argument wasn't about which outcome was more realistic, it was about that there are more things that are incorporated into making these decisions than a simple opinion. The reality of them pulling the plug was as close as them accepting this option year. Which of course I never stated that they were going to pull the plug, but just that there was a real possibility that it could have happened, and how that is unrealistic might explain your ability to make posts with little substance 99.9% of the time.

Schlep Rock

Feb 28, 2002
USA
Just want to point something out...

ESPN did not come right out and say they're going to keep hockey, just that they want to.

I fully expect them to but just the title is a little mis-leading.

Street Hawk

Feb 18, 2003
Visit site
Nameless guys....

ColoradoHockeyFan said:
If it's part of an overall effort to replicate the HNIC quality of broadcast, bring it on. What ESPN2 (and some regional broadcast outlets) do with hockey is pathetic. It's painful to try and watch a game with no quality audio, announcers who lack sufficient emotion, and cameras that appear to be positioned about a quarter-mile from the ice.

One thing that bothers me about ESPN is the fact they hire nameless former NHLers as their "Hockey Analysts". Outside of the regular hockey fan, what casual fan is going to know who the heck Ray Ferarro, Darren Pang, and Brian Engbloom are?

Compare this to ESPN's crew that does football, and at least they have Steve Young and Michael Irving.

Having hockey analysts that the casual fan can recognize adds to the overall package of the viewing experience. During the game or in the intermissions, when they tell the audience what the players are going through and what they need to do to win, it would mean more if it came from elite level players who won. What ESPN needs to do is dump the likes of Pang, Ferarro, Engbloom and bring in the star calibre of a Ray Bourque, Paul Coffey, Mike Richter. These are guys the casual fan can recognize and they've won championships.

Who would you listen to about what it takes to win in the playoffs from a goalie's point of view? Pang or Richter?

Unfortunately, it appears that most of the elite level hockey players do not or will not be going into television after they finish their careers. Some guys, good guys like Yzerman, Francis, Bourque are probably too quiet and mild manner to bring that punch to tv.

McDonald19

Sep 9, 2003
California
Street Hawk said:
One thing that bothers me about ESPN is the fact they hire nameless former NHLers as their "Hockey Analysts". Outside of the regular hockey fan, what casual fan is going to know who the heck Ray Ferarro, Darren Pang, and Brian Engbloom are?

Compare this to ESPN's crew that does football, and at least they have Steve Young and Michael Irving.

Having hockey analysts that the casual fan can recognize adds to the overall package of the viewing experience. During the game or in the intermissions, when they tell the audience what the players are going through and what they need to do to win, it would mean more if it came from elite level players who won. What ESPN needs to do is dump the likes of Pang, Ferarro, Engbloom and bring in the star calibre of a Ray Bourque, Paul Coffey, Mike Richter. These are guys the casual fan can recognize and they've won championships.

Who would you listen to about what it takes to win in the playoffs from a goalie's point of view? Pang or Richter?

Unfortunately, it appears that most of the elite level hockey players do not or will not be going into television after they finish their careers. Some guys, good guys like Yzerman, Francis, Bourque are probably too quiet and mild manner to bring that punch to tv.

Personality and ability to speak well is more important than how good of a player they were.

Yzerman, Francis and Bourque as you said are too quiet and would be boring. Panger may have been a bad goalie but at least he has a TV personality.

Street Hawk

Feb 18, 2003
Visit site
I know..

McDonald19 said:
Personality and ability to speak well is more important than how good of a player they were.

Yzerman, Francis and Bourque as you said are too quiet and would be boring. Panger may have been a bad goalie but at least he has a TV personality.

You're right, these guys are too quiet for tv. That's one of the things that is hurting hockey is the fact that their elite stars don't have the personality to be good on tv.

There doesn't appear to be an NHL equivalent to the NFL's Terry Bradshaw, Howie Long, Jimmy Johnson, Steve Young, Dan Marino, etc. Recognizable names to the casual fan, and were great players who lead their teams in the playoffs and onto champsionships (except Marino).

In the next few years are there many NHLers who would be good on tv?

Hasbro

Family Friend
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2004
South Rectangle
McDonald19 said:

Bourque was on NHL2Night during the early 2002 playoffs and was rather colorless. It's not a unique phenomena to hockey, Joe Montana's one year stint on NFL Today was absolutely painful. I also think Mike Irvin is terrible, just slaps jocks backs, and has an awful grunty voice.

However, I don't want the to pick whatever loadmouth they can get their hands on (I liked JR at the WC). Worst example of this has to be Jabba the Rush on Gameday.

Anyone else wish they'd hire Generette?

McDonald19

Sep 9, 2003
California
PecaFan said:
Roenick and Hull are two obvious choices for broadcasting in a couple of years.

Roenick definetly would be a good one for ESPN to hire after his playing career ends.

One of best American players ever, lots of personality, perfect for ESPN!

Hoek

Legendary Poster A
May 12, 2003
Tampa, FL
And before saying "Oh I hate so-and-so I hope they never become a broadcaster" note that that's often what drives the ratings. People want to see what that jerk is gonna say next. The closest thing we've got to that is Barry Melrose and nobody knows who the heck he is besides us.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad