ESPN sucks

Status
Not open for further replies.

ALF AmericanLionsFan

Dec 19, 2002
Cleveland, Ohio USA
Visit site
:mad: How can they not be showing the Russia Canada game? My god this is the only hockey we will be able to see this year. And to top it off there are no other games all weekend either!! Or the first European quarterfinal Monday. That's as big a joke as tomorrow's Rus Can game. If you make a commitment to show a tourney show all the games or at least all major ones. I just don't understand it after all the games they showed this week. I'll be bumming all weekend. Any link that I can listen to the Russia Canada game via internet? :mad:

Darth Vitale

Dark Matter
Aug 21, 2003
Darkness
ESPN is blatantly excluding a lot of Americans from seeing these games, even though they have the ability to remedy that condition. They are trying to promote this broadband thing, but the problem is the configuration required by their site is excludes anyone on a Mac, and anyone who does not have access from one of their partner providers. It's total bull ****.

Why on earth wouldn't they broadcast it BOTH WAYS, so the people who don't meet their dumbass (non-standardized) web requirements can enjoy the games too this weekend?

**** ESPN (and Barry Melrose with his grease-ball mullet too).

:banghead: :banghead: :mad:

Last edited by a moderator:

Breck Av

Jan 11, 2003
Denver, CO
Visit site
ESPN would be stupid to show two hockey games on Saturday instead of the first full day of the college football season, even if one of them is Russia vs. Canada.

ESPN isn't in business to make hockey fans happy. If Finland vs. Sweden made them more money than Central Florida vs. Wisconsin or Cal vs. Air Force then they would show it.

They're showing 16 of the 20 games on TV and 4 games on broadband. Life isn't going to end :shakehead .

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA
Personally I'm just happy they're showing anything, I wasn't expecting to see anything other than maybe the medal games...

Saturday is the start of college football season for most teams, and the audience for college football dwarfs that of hockey, so it's not really up to debate what goes on.

Personally I'll be sitting on my couch watching football from noon till midnight tomorrow...

Tucker316*

I never understood the big deal about college sports. It's like big deal? They havent done **** anyways till they are in the NFL or NBA. **** school pride too. I never had any, and certainly not for a college football team. NCAA bores me.

Jazz

On a different twist..

Anyone hear what the ratings are for the World Cup games thus far??

I'm hoping they'd be good enough to warrant ESPN to carry events like this (and follow the US team in the World Juniors and World Championships..).

Thanks in advance...

High flyin' Habs*

I know it and I always knew it, espn are just idiotic hockey haters, they rather show some dumb american colleg football game than the world cup, not to mention the olympics, espn sucks.

High flyin' Habs*

Tucker316 said:
I never understood the big deal about college sports. It's like big deal? They havent done **** anyways till they are in the NFL or NBA. **** school pride too. I never had any, and certainly not for a college football team. NCAA bores me.
Exactly! I dont get Americans, what's so good about colleg sports?? Why would a stupid ncaa basketball game get more ratings than the stanley cup playoffs???

Feb 24, 2004
smoothskater said:
Exactly! I dont get Americans, what's so good about colleg sports?? Why would a stupid ncaa basketball game get more ratings than the stanley cup playoffs???

College is so popular in the states because the players are playing for pride, and their futures. In the pros, players already have guaranteed contracts, so the games aren't as intense. More people like college than hockey, I can tell you that. By a lot.

Sotnos

Jul 8, 2002
Not here
www.boltprospects.com
Breck Av said:
ESPN would be stupid to show two hockey games on Saturday instead of the first full day of the college football season, even if one of them is Russia vs. Canada.

ESPN isn't in business to make hockey fans happy. If Finland vs. Sweden made them more money than Central Florida vs. Wisconsin or Cal vs. Air Force then they would show it.

They're showing 16 of the 20 games on TV and 4 games on broadband. Life isn't going to end :shakehead .
Thank you. I don't see why this is so hard to understand for some people. :shakehead

Hockeyfan02

Oct 10, 2002
Pistivity
Visit site
smoothskater said:
I know it and I always knew it, espn are just idiotic hockey haters, they rather show some dumb american colleg football game than the world cup, not to mention the olympics, espn sucks.

Yep theyd rather make more money in advertising on a college football game than a hockey game. Boy are they dumb! The olympics? Its not their fault NBC shells out a ton to get that. And ESPN would only show the olympics if ABC had the rights. They should show the olympics without having their rights though. :shakehead Frankly, ESPN is showing 16 of 20 games. I'm happy with that. They could be real hockey haters and show 0. Guess its impossible to please some people though.

Dont rip on our traditions of college sports when you guys have curling. I know I'd rather watch a college football game than shuffleboard on ice. :p:

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
"ESPN sucks...how could they show college football instead of the world cup?"

Its called a contract. Its very basic. ABC/ESPN has a contract to show a previously agreed to number of football games on this day. That contract was signed long before the World Cup of Hockey was scheduled to be played. Frankly, if it was important to get those game on ESPN they would not have scheduled them for Saturday. In this case Canada's tradition of Saturday night hockey is more important to the NHL than US TV exposure. Its that simple.

As for the Canadian yahoo that took a shot at Americans for the popularity of college sports, its like this. US Universities were where organized sports began in general in late 19th and early 20th centuries. College football was popular LONG before professional football. Same with basketball and even hockey. The frozen 4 is a very popular event with tv ratings that rival NHL games.

Canada doesnt have that. Kids basically turn pro at 16 when they play junior hockey. That is not really socially acceptable in the USA. High School sports then college before pro.

I wonder...what are the tv ratings in Canada for the memorial cup?? i would imagine they are pretty good. particularly when many of the teams competing are not in NHL cities. much like college sports. the teams that often win are teams that come from none major league areas.

High flyin' Habs*

leafs4thecup said:
College is so popular in the states because the players are playing for pride, and their futures. In the pros, players already have guaranteed contracts, so the games aren't as intense. More people like college than hockey, I can tell you that. By a lot.

Ok so they love watching players that play for pride, then explain why would americans rather watch a preseason footbal game that has no meaning at all and where players do get paid and dont give a rats a** about the fans than the olympics for example?

High flyin' Habs*

Hockeyfan02 said:
Yep theyd rather make more money in advertising on a college football game than a hockey game. Boy are they dumb! The olympics? Its not their fault NBC shells out a ton to get that. And ESPN would only show the olympics if ABC had the rights. They should show the olympics without having their rights though. :shakehead Frankly, ESPN is showing 16 of 20 games. I'm happy with that. They could be real hockey haters and show 0. Guess its impossible to please some people though.

Dont rip on our traditions of college sports when you guys have curling. I know I'd rather watch a college football game than shuffleboard on ice. :p:

Who's talking about curling?? I hate curling. So watching 18 year olds playing for fun is a tradition?? Nice tradition.

Enoch

This is my boomstick
Jul 2, 2003
Cookeville TN
txpd said:
Its called a contract. Its very basic. ABC/ESPN has a contract to show a previously agreed to number of football games on this day. That contract was signed long before the World Cup of Hockey was scheduled to be played. Frankly, if it was important to get those game on ESPN they would not have scheduled them for Saturday. In this case Canada's tradition of Saturday night hockey is more important to the NHL than US TV exposure. Its that simple.

Bingo! And for anyone that thinks different, try catching the scheduling for the NBA playoffs......

Breck Av

Jan 11, 2003
Denver, CO
Visit site
smoothskater said:
Who's talking about curling?? I hate curling. So watching 18 year olds playing for fun is a tradition?? Nice tradition.
If you ever went to a Miami/Florida State, Michigan/Ohio State, Auburn/Alabama, Oklahoma/Nebraska, Florida/Tennessee, USC/UCLA, etc etc etc game you wouldn't scoff at college football's popularity. There's not much better than a fall Saturday on campus on the day of a football game.

User571

Apr 5, 2004
Between the Pipes
Dan Galvin said:
:mad: How can they not be showing the Russia Canada game? My god this is the only hockey we will be able to see this year. And to top it off there are no other games all weekend either!! Or the first European quarterfinal Monday. That's as big a joke as tomorrow's Rus Can game. If you make a commitment to show a tourney show all the games or at least all major ones. I just don't understand it after all the games they showed this week. I'll be bumming all weekend. Any link that I can listen to the Russia Canada game via internet? :mad:
I cant beleive its not on-I was really looking forward to that Europeon Quarterfinal too. Noone make watch ESPN tonight. If we get enough people to not watch whatever sad excuse for a sport they have on, maybe we can make even the slightest dent in the ratings! Well show them not to piss off the hockey fans!!! :banana:

guinness

Not Ingrid for now
Mar 11, 2002
Missoula, Montana
www.missoulian.com
College football makes money, hockey doesn't do squat for ESPN's bottom line. If hockey was on the level of football in the US, it probably wouldn't be having some of the problems it does have.

On the other hand, I am happy I live close enough to Windsor to get the CBC feed on Comcast.

The True Blue Crew

Jun 11, 2004
steps to the ACC
there is fun watching college football, no doubt, college bb, hell yeah
though i've noticed here there is not much of school pride concept and all.
canadians just don't really have it as much, or maybe i haven't witnessed it.
it's probably on the same private school narrow circle level.

i HAVE school pride. but maybe b/c at the school i went to it was quite developed.
we had other schools come in and play them and it was like pretty intense.
it was fun. something along catcher in the rye thing where he, though cynical about the whole thing, skips the football game in the beginning of the book.
we also went to visit other schools and it didn't matter if we won or lost,
memories are there for the rest of the life as well as the feelings.

anyway, whoever said it in this topic of pride, future and all is totally right.
the professionals got their contracts, whereas these kids are securing theirs.

Hockeyfan02 said:

RI Canuck

Aug 23, 2003
Rhode Island
Visit site
Breck Av said:

I understand they only care about money but they are constantly screwing hockey
fans. They said that they were definitely going to show every game when they announced that they would carry the World Cup last summer. It's like the World Championship and Heritage Classic all over again for those of us who can't get Centre Ice. We get screwed.

Breck Av

Jan 11, 2003
Denver, CO
Visit site
RI Canuck said:
I understand they only care about money but they are constantly screwing hockey
fans. They said that they were definitely going to show every game when they announced that they would carry the World Cup last summer. It's like the World Championship and Heritage Classic all over again for those of us who can't get Centre Ice. We get screwed.
I don't remember them definitely saying they would show 'every' game. As it is they are showing 16 out of 20 and the other 4 are on the 'net. I'm watching ESPN broadband and saw Finland score. Things could be a lot worse.

edit- in fact, my cable is out due to Hurricane Francis so this game being on ESPN broadband is absolutely awesome :handclap: . I just hope the power stays on until after the Canada/Russia game.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->