ESPN Reports change of heart from PA

Status
Not open for further replies.

Old Hickory

Foppa_Rules said:
Well, it seems to me that the NHL started out with a softer view of the necessary salary cap but has gotten more and more hardened as the negotiations have been going on. So in that sense it could be called a breakthrough that they are willing (maybe) to go back to the softer view of it. Now the NHLPA may be willing to take that deal given the alternatives.
That is typical for negotiations. Ask for the world and at crunch time slowly ease down to your actual target

Trottier

Very Random
Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
Visit site
Foppa_Rules said:
...maybe that has something to do with the fact that the fans are being totally ignored while the NHL and NHLPA walk out of 9-hour meetings with NO progress time and time again.

"Ignored"?

Another poor persecuted fan? Sorry, your post reads like self-pity and an enlarged, unrealistic view of one's role in this CBA. (Here's a clue: its virtually nonexistent.)

The objective of both sides in this CBA is to find an agreement that is acceptable to them, on their timetable, for it is their money, their careers, their businesses.

Of course, they want to appease their customers (fans), but that does not take priority over striking an equitable deal. Not by a longshot.

Last edited:

Foppa_Rules

Nov 1, 2003
Earth...how about you?
Trottier said:
"Ignored"?

Another poor persecuted fan? Sorry, your post reads like self-pity and an enlarged, unrealistic view of one's role in this CBA. (Here's a clue: its virtually nonexistent.)

Exactly. That's the problem.

Last edited:

eye

Feb 17, 2003
around the 49th para
Visit site
Scugs said:
The NHL said that they absolutely NEED linkage. But here we are with Daly saying that the NHL is willing to negotiate a cap without linkage.

Alot of things were said during this lockout. Some quotes have merit, some serve no other purpose than a PR move.

To quote Bill Daily correctly he said "linkage is not a non starter for negotiations but that it will be much more difficult now than it was several months ago due to the unknown amount of damage done to the NHL during this work stoppage".

Scoogs

Jan 31, 2005
Toronto, Ontario
What ever.. I started listening to the FAN590's 20/20 update, and its basically the same thing. The players are very mad and feel that they are being mislead.

SChan*

I hope they solve it for next season. I don't want a NHL season to have 10 games in it. It wouldn't be fair to single out playoffs teams in that limited time.

Foppa_Rules

Nov 1, 2003
Earth...how about you?
...or what if they made an adjustment for this year's playoffs such as letting all the teams into the playoffs and playing an extended playoffs without even bothering with a shortened season?

Scoogs

Jan 31, 2005
Toronto, Ontario
SectionX said:
I hope they solve it for next season. I don't want a NHL season to have 10 games in it. It wouldn't be fair to single out playoffs teams in that limited time.

How about 28-games and a full 4 rounds of playoffs? Anyone here that says they wouldnt watch it is either not a passionate hockey fan, or is a huge liar.

Scoogs

Jan 31, 2005
Toronto, Ontario
Foppa_Rules said:
...or what if they made an adjustment for this year's playoffs such as letting all the teams into the playoffs and playing an extended playoffs without even bothering with and extended season?

The League has already said that they have a 28 game schedule ready if a deal is struck. With no changes to the playoff format.

SChan*

Foppa_Rules said:
...or what if they made an adjustment for this year's playoffs such as letting all the teams into the playoffs and playing an extended playoffs without even bothering with and extended season?

Skip the regular season totally? I don't like the idea at all. I rather want the NHL stars to stay in Europe this season. My local tweam even has NHL players in it :yo:

SChan*

Scugs said:
How about 28-games and a full 4 rounds of playoffs? Anyone here that says they wouldnt watch it is either not a passionate hockey fan, or is a huge liar.

the truth is that I want my local team's NHL players to stay :D

Vomiting Kermit*

I miss hockey so badly. Not sure if I would want to see a shortened season rather than the NHL prepare for next season. Either way, I hope to God a deal is worked out by the end of tomorrow.

Jarqui

Jul 8, 2003
Visit site
Crazy Lunatic said:
Ted Saskin is under the impression that you are wrong.

I suggest that Ted re-read the July NHL proposal. If he can produce a different document from the NHL that was published by NHL.com and the media at the time, I'll sit up and take his "surprise" more seriously. Until then, it's merely more smoke from Saskin.

Foppa_Rules

Nov 1, 2003
Earth...how about you?
cleduc said:
I suggest that Ted re-read the July NHL proposal. If he can produce a different document from the NHL that was published by NHL.com and the media at the time, I'll sit up and take his "surprise" more seriously. Until then, it's merely more smoke from Saskin.

And the NHL has been giving off smoke from the very beginning so what's your point?

Old Hickory

Crazy Lunatic said:
Anything new said? Its flat out not working for me. I've tried 20 times by now.
Nothing new said. Same meaning with different words.

Sinurgy

Approaching infinity
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2004
AZ
Scugs said:
That sounds good except I'm of mind that the Stanley Cup should not be awarded this year. It's a mockery to the winners of the past that someone could get their name on it not to mention I don't think any player this year deserves to have his name etched on the cup considering the way hockey has been treated!!!!

I say have a short season and a tournament but no cup! Maybe play for draft positioning or something like that. Certainly the winner of the playoffs shouldn't get number one but perhaps the winner could get #8, second gets #9 or something like that.

Scoogs

Jan 31, 2005
Toronto, Ontario
Sinurgy said:
That sounds good except I'm of mind that the Stanley Cup should not be awarded this year. It's a mockery to the winners of the past that someone could get their name on it not to mention I don't think any player this year deserves to have his name etched on the cup considering the way hockey has been treated!!!!

I say have a short season and a tournament but no cup! Maybe play for draft positioning or something like that. Certainly the winner of the playoffs shouldn't get number one but perhaps the winner could get #8, second gets #9 or something like that.

Meh, I tend to look at it as:

The winner of the Stanley Cup goes to the best contender of that certain year. Not so much "The best out of 82 games and 4 rounds for that year."

It's sad that the lockout has killed over half the season, but I would not like to see a big blank spot on the cup where the 2004/2005 champs were going to be.

Plus you could make the arguement that the first generation of cup winners didnt go through what the players do today, but they are still on there. :dunno:

Strangelove

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Saprykin Fan said:
I just seen it on the Score!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! daly said they can deal without linkage, and when told that Saskin seemed shocked and suprised in his interview afterwards.

cleduc said:
From NHL.com - July NHL proposal (one of six options presented):
http://nhlcbanews.com/dalymail/daly_mailbag111504.html
A Hard Individual Team Salary Cap, which would be similar in concept to the system employed in the National Football League. Under this system, each team's payroll would not be permitted to exceed 1/30th of the League-wide amount negotiated with the Union and designated for player compensation. Cap administration rules, would, however, be negotiated to suit the particular and unique circumstances of the National Hockey League, and to minimize potential competitive advantages attributable to differences in financial resources among various Clubs.

Under a Hard Salary Cap System, player contracts could continue to be "guaranteed;" player agents would continue to perform their current function and role; and any concern about salary stratification between high-salaried star players and lower-salaried role players could be addressed by the League and the Union in collective bargaining.

There's no linkage mentioned in that hard cap system. I don't understand why this is "news". If it is, it is OLD news.

shadoz19 said:
Thats linkage. Its tied to a portion of revenue and then divided by 30. NFL is linkage.

cleduc said:
Nope. "each team's payroll would not be permitted to exceed 1/30th of the League-wide amount negotiated with the Union"

Revenue is not mentioned. The cap is negotiated as is the administration of it.

Foppa_Rules said:
But in the NHL's proposal before the "compromise proposal", they mentioned a minimum payroll of 32 million and a maximum payroll of 42 million. I don't remember if that was linked to revenues, but it was supposed to be a floating cap.

cleduc said:
That has nothing to do with this July proposal/concept. An issue raised in this thread is that somehow, the concept of negotiating a hard cap without linkage is new to this processs and somehow a possible break through. It isn't. It is old news and was rejected by the NHLPA last July.

Crazy Lunatic said:
Ted Saskin is under the impression that you are wrong.

cleduc said:

Foppa_Rules said:
And the NHL has been giving off smoke from the very beginning so what's your point?

If I may.....

Cleduc’s very plainly stated point from the beginning has been that the concept of negotiating a hard cap without linkage is *NOT* new, and that Saskin was merely feigning surprise. You were arguing against Cleduc’s “point†from the beginning, but you seem to have forgotten his point somewhere along the way.

Or is there more “feigning†going on here than we know of?

As an aside, is Peter (the glass man) Forsberg ever going to play in the NHL again?

Just wondering.....

Chayos

Mar 6, 2003
Winnipeg
eye said:
Personally even if there is a solution I will never pay to see Bryan McCabe, Sean Avery, Chris Chelios or Chris Pronger ever play again.

Actually or Modano and his DOG!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad