ESPN radio reporting

Status
Not open for further replies.

HF2002

Aug 20, 2003
Ottawa
Visit site
txomisc said:
The microphone thing is actually a good idea. It's just that what tends to be played is the "we're gonna kill em", "you can't stop me" b.s. trashtalk. It has certainly been tried in Hockey but it has not worked as well. We tend to hear things like "we can do this, boys" and "100% every shift, boys". Not nearly as attractive to your casual fans.
I'm not sure if many would agree with me, but I think it would be interesting to hear what's being said on the ice. I"m not suggesting that it should be live, but use it on replays or to listen in on the coach describe how to set up a draw in the last 10 seconds as they try to tie it up.

vanlady

Nov 3, 2004
mooseOAK said:
Who do they have to market on a league-wide basis? All the NBA has to do is say Lebron James will be on TV this weekend and instant ratings increase. Doing that doesn't take some kind of marketing genius.

Bettman has never had a dominant, interesting to watch team in any of the top 3 markets since the '94 Rangers. The Devils despite their success have been painful to watch. In order to market the NHL he needs something to work with and that hasn't been happening. He can't take the Hawks away form Wirtz or solve the Rangers' problems or keep the Kings from getting injured.

Putting NHL teams in non-traditional markets is marketing despite all the whining about it.

In general, Stern's job is a lot easier that Bettman's in terms of promoting the league.

Really, according to the US statistics branch hockey has a 48% female audience between the ages of 19-50. Do you realize women between the ages of 18-50 control 75% of the disposable income in the US and Canada. The really sad and insulting thing is when Harley Hotchkiss says that they are marketing to women, they gave us our own line of jerseys didn't they. What a crock.

txomisc

Mar 18, 2002
California
Visit site
vanlady said:
Really, according to the US statistics branch hockey has a 48% female audience between the ages of 19-50. Do you realize women between the ages of 18-50 control 75% of the disposable income in the US and Canada. The really sad and insulting thing is when Harley Hotchkiss says that they are marketing to women, they gave us our own line of jerseys didn't they. What a crock.
What do you suppose would be a good way to market the NHL to women?

vanlady

Nov 3, 2004
txomisc said:
What do you suppose would be a good way to market the NHL to women?

There are 2 ways to effectively market to most women, hearth and home or sex. Wanna get the NHL out of financial trouble, put together a fire fighter style calendar with guys like Lecavalier, Luango and others. Remember the most popular hockey picture of all time in Vancouver, Pavel Bure half naked. I know sad but true.

CarlRacki

Feb 9, 2004
vanlady said:
There are 2 ways to effectively market to most women, hearth and home or sex. Wanna get the NHL out of financial trouble, put together a fire fighter style calendar with guys like Lecavalier, Luango and others. Remember the most popular hockey picture of all time in Vancouver, Pavel Bure half naked. I know sad but true.

If only Gary Bettman were smart enough to realize a beefcake calendar would solve all the NHL's problems.
Gee, and for a second there I almost took you seriously as a poster. :dunno:

vanlady

Nov 3, 2004
CarlRacki said:
If only Gary Bettman were smart enough to realize a beefcake calendar would solve all the NHL's problems.
Gee, and for a second there I almost took you seriously as a poster. :dunno:

Like it or not Women and teenage girls drive marketing, ask my husband. My teen daughter wants to go see our local hockey team simply because the top line center is "hot". My poor husband hates hockey, but he goes to just about every one of there games because my daughter wants too. My husband also gets Canucks season tickets not because he wants to go but because I do. Like it or leave it if a teen girl sees a good looking guy she will get her parents to buy the jersey, buy tickets and line up for hours to go to events. Look no further than the puck bunnies in Vancouver chasing Cloutier.

Morbo

The Annihilator
Jan 14, 2003
Toronto
vanlady said:

Jesus H. Christ...

:shakehead

:help:

vanlady

Nov 3, 2004
PepNCheese said:
Jesus H. Christ...

:shakehead

:help:

Never said I liked the idea, but it sure worked in baseball (actually baseball players posed in Playgirl) and in the NBA

Go Flames Go*

My Sister thought Iginla was hot, I almost turned off the tv because of thoose remarks.

Marketing does not mean to pimp the players and whore them around like cheap sluts. There are more male fans and I hope they don't wanna see thoose Pavel Bure type pictures. There is no need for that crap, the game needs to be marketed not how sexy the players look.

Reilly311

Bettman doens't run the marketing of the NHL. There's a whole other department for that.

vanlady

Nov 3, 2004
Go Flames Go said:
My Sister thought Iginla was hot, I almost turned off the tv because of thoose remarks.

Marketing does not mean to pimp the players and whore them around like cheap sluts. There are more male fans and I hope they don't wanna see thoose Pavel Bure type pictures. There is no need for that crap, the game needs to be marketed not how sexy the players look.

Unfortunately in the US you have to look at what ever works to drive up sales. This is one way. Personally I will never watch hockey with my teen daughter because I can't handle it, but for teams that are struggling anything that will get butts in the seats, I am all for. At least here I only propose them half naked in baseball they were naked. You should have seen that Playgirl "Boys of Summer" spread.

By the way think of it this way. If you get 20 teen girls to drag there dads to 5 games and Dad gets hooked. Is dad now more likely to drag mom and his business associates? That translates into 100 new season ticket holders. In Vancouver and Toronto that isn't a big deal, in Nashville it is.

Wondercarrot

By The Power of Canadian Tire Centre
Jul 2, 2002

that is absolutely hilarious. funniest post of the year.

Go Flames Go*

vanlady said:
Unfortunately in the US you have to look at what ever works to drive up sales. This is one way. Personally I will never watch hockey with my teen daughter because I can't handle it, but for teams that are struggling anything that will get butts in the seats, I am all for. At least here I only propose them half naked in baseball they were naked. You should have seen that Playgirl "Boys of Summer" spread.

By the way think of it this way. If you get 20 teen girls to drag there dads to 5 games and Dad gets hooked. Is dad now more likely to drag mom and his business associates? That translates into 100 new season ticket holders. In Vancouver and Toronto that isn't a big deal, in Nashville it is.

Its gonna be hard to sell teethless wonders with mullets to horny teenage girls.

Are you people serious about baseball players posing naked?

vanlady

Nov 3, 2004
Go Flames Go said:
Its gonna be hard to sell teethless wonders with mullets to horny teenage girls.

Are you people serious about baseball players posing naked?

Sorry but true, all the clerks and paralegals in my office that were old enough to buy Playgirl and not have a heart attack bought the magazine, I almost threw up.

Sad to say but there are some guys in this league who could do it. Vinny Lecavlier is one of my examples simply because my daughters girlfreinds all think he's cute.

Go Flames Go*

vanlady said:
Sorry but true, all the clerks and paralegals in my office that were old enough to buy Playgirl and not have a heart attack bought the magazine, I almost threw up.

Sad to say but there are some guys in this league who could do it. Vinny Lecavlier is one of my examples simply because my daughters girlfreinds all think he's cute.

Did thoose players get suspended for what they did?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->