ESPN Polls

Status
Not open for further replies.

shadoz19

May 21, 2004
Espn has a bunch of polls on their website. Some of them are pretty interesting.

Do you care the NHL season has been canceled? (106,864 votes)
68.4% No
31.5% Yes

Would you watch/attend/follow NHL games if the league started next season with replacement players? (40,105 votes)
62.1% No
37.9% Yes

Just thought those two were kind of interesting. Especially coming from U.S. fans.

EDIT: Forgot to add link
http://sports.espn.go.com/chat/sportsnation/story?page=thepulse050216

Luc Labelle

Lucius 895 Injuries
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2005
Winnipeg
The replacement player question does not give us any indication of whether their would be a significant lack of fans for games with replacement players. 68.4% don't care that the NHL was cancelled, probably most that answered the scab question, also answered this one. If the second question was would you watch/attend/follow NHL games with NHL players we might see a similar 62.1% no total... or maybe even worse.

KallioWeHardlyKnewYe

Hey! We won!
May 30, 2003
shadoz19 said:
Espn has a bunch of polls on their website. Some of them are pretty interesting.

Just thought those two were kind of interesting. Especially coming from U.S. fans.

I know fans are upset. Justifiably.
But, I never put too much credence in polls like this regarding hockey. I'm a firm believer that many of the voters in that poll and other similar ones are people that don't follow hockey anyway.
The fact that a majority of people in the US claim they won't follow hockey after the lockout isn't a story to me because, fact is, a majority of people in the US didn't follow hockey before the lockout.
Its a niche sport.

dem

Mar 17, 2002
huh?
The espn poll that says "Do you care that the NHL season has been canceled?" is actually at

Yes: 67%
No 32%

Atleast when I go there :dunno:

dem

Mar 17, 2002
Nevermind... I found the one youre looking at.

Which goes to show how stupid polls are :p:

KallioWeHardlyKnewYe

Hey! We won!
May 30, 2003
Look at these two questions from the poll:

Do you care the NHL season has been canceled? 68% no. 31% yes.

Do you consider yourself a hockey fan? 63% yes. 32% no.

Now -- look at the vote totals for those questions...

106,864 voted on the first.
40,105 voted on the second.

It burns me that ESPN (and others) will use this to hammer hockey. "Oh, look, people don't care about hockey!!!!"
More than 60,000 people who answered the question do not consider themselves fans. THEY DON'T MATTER.

Enoch

This is my boomstick
Jul 2, 2003
Cookeville TN
dem said:
huh?
The espn poll that says "Do you care that the NHL season has been canceled?" is actually at

No 32%

Same here - People actually do care the season was cancelled.

Brewleaguer

Jan 31, 2005
KallioWeHardlyKnewYe said:
I know fans are upset. Justifiably.
But, I never put too much credence in polls like this regarding hockey. I'm a firm believer that many of the voters in that poll and other similar ones are people that don't follow hockey anyway.......

According to this they do: Do you consider yourself a hockey fan? (40,105 votes)
63.0% Yes
37.0% No

Brewleaguer

Jan 31, 2005
Enoch said:
Same here - People actually do care the season was cancelled.
Wondering how two of you are seeing something differant.
I am seeing: Do you care the NHL season has been canceled? (106,864 votes)
68.4% No
31.5% Yes

KallioWeHardlyKnewYe

Hey! We won!
May 30, 2003
Brewleaguer said:
According to this they do: Do you consider yourself a hockey fan? (40,105 votes)
63.0% Yes
37.0% No

Did you notice my second post? The one that points out the more than 60,000 vote difference between the "do you care" and "are you a fan" questions?
The "do you care" question is polling a population that wouldn't give a damn if hockey was in the midst of its greatest season ever.

Enoch

This is my boomstick
Jul 2, 2003
Cookeville TN
Brewleaguer said:
Wondering how two of you are seeing something differant.
I am seeing: Do you care the NHL season has been canceled? (106,864 votes)
68.4% No
31.5% Yes

Found the poll on the NHL page - maybe we are seeing polls at different places, hence the difference.

shadoz19

May 21, 2004
dem said:
huh?

No 32%

I believe some of the questions were posed to all visitors of ESPN's website while others were only given to those visiting the hockey section.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad