ESPN may soon have company

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tra La La

Feb 13, 2003
Buffalo, New York
http://www.boston.com/sports/other_sports/articles/2005/07/31/espn_may_soon_have_company/?page=1

That's why rumblings that Comcast is poised to mount an all-sports challenge to ESPN, perhaps using Outdoor Life Network (OLN) as the platform, have created such a stir. Comcast isn't a start-up, and, more important, it has deep pockets

The first piece of the puzzle to achieve all-sports legitimacy would be to acquire the NHL's national rights. Indications are that such a deal is in place and waiting to be announced this week, once the NHL finishes anointing Sidney Crosby as its savior during this weekend's draft festivities in Ottawa.

Several TV consultants said, ''If OLN gets the NHL, it won't increase their distribution." OLN is in 63 million homes, compared with 89.3 million for ESPN2. But the NHL would provide a lot of potential programming,

i am dave

Mar 9, 2004
Corner of 1st & 1st
If Comcast were to get the NHL and put it on OLN, I think we'd see OLN almost immediately become available on basic cable systems nationwide. In fact, as I've said previously, I wouldn't be surprised if it were a stipulation of the contract.

Also, Comcast already broadcasts CSN in HD, so I don't know if it would really be that difficult for an OLN-HD broadcast.

SuperUnknown

Mar 14, 2002
Visit site
Unholy Diver said:
OLN is not on basic or extended cable in a lot of places, I get it with the extra digital package but asking people to pay more might be asking too much

I think they'll also add NFL games, that might get the channel in more homes.

bcrt2000

Feb 17, 2005
remember when CBC put Curling on some extra digital channel? there was a total outcry, so the deal with CBC got nixed and they went back to TSN

Tekneek

Nov 28, 2004
How is Comcast going to get the rights to any NFL games? The new NFL contracts have already been decided.

Original6

I read an article on this board that said that they are negotiating with the NFL (look around for it). Also they will change the name of the channel from OLN to something else.

NJD Jester

Nov 14, 2003
DC
www.njdevilsbook.com
I said it before, I'll say it again: No matter who picks up the NHL on cable, STAY AWAY from recycling the same announcing talent we've had for the last 15 years. (Save for Mike Emrick).

No more Pang! No more Pang! No more Pang!

London Knights

Jun 1, 2004
I could be interesting. If Comcast sets things up right they could really boost the NHL, and their chances of bringing the NHL back to life. While the NHL needs to do a lot of things to lure in the casual non-traditional hockey fan, a lot of the job rests on the networks shoulders. A crappy broadcast can kill a great playoff game for the fan who isn't a diehard.

kdb209

Jan 26, 2005
PitkanenPower said:
If Comcast were to get the NHL and put it on OLN, I think we'd see OLN almost immediately become available on basic cable systems nationwide. In fact, as I've said previously, I wouldn't be surprised if it were a stipulation of the contract.

Also, Comcast already broadcasts CSN in HD, so I don't know if it would really be that difficult for an OLN-HD broadcast.

I also commented on the other OLN thread.

Just because a cable channel is available to all cable syetms, it doesn't mean they all will choose to carry it - many cable systems are maxed out on channels or just choose not to pay Comcast the fee's it asks for for OLN.

There are many cable systems which do not carry OLN (63M homes vs 89M for ESPN) or only carry it on non-basic, higher (more expensive) tier digital cable packages. Whay would those non-Comcast systems suddenly decide to carry OLN just because of the NHL. If OLN gets the Thurs/Sat night NFL deal, that would be another story.

As for HD, Comcast may have OLN-HD or CSN-HD available, but again very few non-Comcast cable or satellite providers will carry it unless there is a high demand. Sad, but true - the NHL will not generate that demand.

Guy Legend

Jun 2, 2005
St. Louis
Here in the midwest (Mediacom), we don't get the OLN either. Heck, we just got ESPN 2 as part of non-digital cable last year.

As long as Fox Sports net carries games, I'll be able to watch my Blues and be happy.

LazRNN

Dec 17, 2003
If the NHL was on a Comcast owned channel, would that channel be available to Satellite subscribers?

Limey FK

Feb 25, 2004
Philadelphia, PA
SSJTOM said:
I'm feeling overly optimistic. I bet they sign on the dotted line today!

I crap my pants everytime I read this..

This is still absolutely hillarious..

(I love the random contexts in which it pops up.. keep up the good work)

Neil

kdb209

Jan 26, 2005
darkboy said:
If the NHL was on a Comcast owned channel, would that channel be available to Satellite subscribers?

Almost certainly.

OLN is currently available on DirecTV as part of their basic Total Choice package.

But Comcast does have a history of animosity towards Satellite. For several years they refused to allow DirecTV carry Comcast Sports Net channels. They viewed satellite as a direct competitor to their cable business and wanted to keep the CSNs as a cable exclusive, but now three of four CSNs (Chicago, Mid Atlantic (DC), West (Sacramento)) are available on DirecTV. Comcast's CSN Philly is still not available.

But it is very unlikely that if Comcast's intention is to launch a nation wide sports channel as a competitor to ESPN they would keep it off satellite.

bcrt2000

Feb 17, 2005
Limey FK said:
I crap my pants everytime I read this..

This is still absolutely hillarious..

(I love the random contexts in which it pops up.. keep up the good work)

Neil

its funny though that the one and only time bob mckenzie said it was the day they got the deal in principle :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->