ESPN Dumps NHL

Status
Not open for further replies.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Dr Love said:
I haven't a clue. But they've got some kind of lease. Every team in every sport has one. And they're long term leases too.

Yeah, but if the owner of the team and the owner of the arena is the same person, it won't take much to get out of the lease.

hockeytown9321

Jun 18, 2004
RangerBoy said:
And the NHL wanted NHL players to participate in the 2002 Olympics.The NHLPA wanted that also.The NHLPA wants to participate in the 2006 Olympics

The 2002 Olympics had no bearing on the NHL in 1999. Gary could've cancelled the 99-00 season and they still could have gone to Utah.

And, wouldn't it have been terribly irresponsible for Gary to extend a CBA that he knew was driving the NHL out of business just so they could go to the Olympics?

Dr Love

Mar 22, 2002
Location, Location!
go kim johnsson said:
Yeah, but if the owner of the team and the owner of the arena is the same person, it won't take much to get out of the lease.
Ah, but there's little reason to let the team you own not play in the arena you own.

zeppelin97

Mar 7, 2003
Visit site
CarlRacki said:
I can't believe some people think this is a good thing and are under the woefully misguided impression that the NHL would be better served by the likes of Spike TV.
Hello? Nobody watches Spike TV except for wrestling fans!

And CSI fans. Theres no way that spike would actually WANT to air NHL games in place of CSI (re-runs by the way) during primetime. Unless of course making less money was a goal.

Sotnos

Jul 8, 2002
Not here
www.boltprospects.com
hockeytown9321 said:
And, wouldn't it have been terribly irresponsible for Gary to extend a CBA that he knew was driving the NHL out of business just so they could go to the Olympics?
"Gary" works at the behest of the owners. Some people seem to forget that. The last CBA was extended against his wishes as far as I know.

X-SHARKIE

This might give the NHLPA and NHL a major wake up call and spring forward more agressive negotiations, because the NHL looks awfully ugly to the casual fan now, more then ever.

Every single NHL player out there, especially in touch American players, like JR, who read this will be outraged that the NHLPA and Owners let it come to this, and will put even more pressure on Goodenow to get a deal done IMO.

This is just ESPN saying hey! enough, get a deal done or were pulling the plug on you.

I still think the NHL will be on ESPN if there is a season this fall when it's all said and done, but why would any company put in $60 million into a sinking ship? They will likely get the same deal NBC has, in which they split the reveneu from the broadcasts.

The NHLPA can wake up and finally smell the roses now that this league is in serious need of a new economic system and on ice product, and hopefully they quit the side games and get down to business and start negotiating with the owners.

This could prove to be beneficial in terms of getting a deal done, and then getting a new contract from ESPN in which both sides share the risk, not just ESPN.

Last edited:

cbjrocks

Dec 4, 2003
Visit site
RangerBoy said:
Will USA Network get better ratings for hockey or SVU/Law In Order?At 8:00,
Special Victims Unit is a staple on USA Network

During the playoffs,will USA Network pay for the production costs associated with putting on two playoff games at the same time?Does USA Network have the technology to split the country?Example:The Devils are playing the Flyers on USA Network.The game will be blacked out in the New York,New Jersey and Philly areas.ESPN would show another game to those blacked out viewers.Is USA able to show another game?ESPN would show those fans Boston-Montreal.

I think NBC knows a little about regional sports broadcasting...I mean, they did carry AFC games for 30 years.

There is plenty of room for the networks of NBC to carry the NHL if they want to. And to make the 2006 Olympics more successful, they need the NHL.

hockeytown9321

Jun 18, 2004
zeppelin97 said:
And CSI fans. Theres no way that spike would actually WANT to air NHL games in place of CSI (re-runs by the way) during primetime. Unless of course making less money was a goal.

Especially when you realize how much money Spike paid CBS(even though its really only from one pocket into another) for CSI syndication rights. I think its the most expensive syndication deal ever.

kN3eLb4Z0d

May 27, 2005
This might give the NHLPA and NHL a major wake up call and spring forward more agressive negotiations, because the NHL looks awfully ugly to the casual fan now, more then ever.

Does that mean... negotiations with a lightsaber? Sorry, just had to.

GSC2k2*

go kim johnsson said:
RAW is 2 hours on Monday, then they have Velocity (1 hour) on Saturday Night, and then 'Experience' (a show about when the wrestlers do other projects, sign autographs, etc) on Sunday Morning for an hour, and Heat every Sunday Night from 7-8. Raw is the only show that brings in any ratings.

USA is not taking all of those ancillary shows, I believe. If memory serves, it is only RAW, Heat and a few saturday night specials that will air on NBC.

X-SHARKIE

kN3eLb4Z0d said:

Does that mean... negotiations with a lightsaber? Sorry, just had to.

lol, never thought of that, After seeing Episode 3 last Thursday, and buying the Original trilogy on DVD this Tuesday, you would think I would've noticed what I said my self.

But no, no Lightsaber negotiations haha...If only though eh? ;) We would be watching NHL playoffs as we speek.

kN3eLb4Z0d

May 27, 2005
X-SHARKIE said:
lol, never thought of that, After seeing Episode 3 last Thursday, and buying the Original trilogy on DVD this Tuesday, you would think I would've noticed what I said my self.

But no, no Lightsaber negotiations haha...If only though eh? ;) We would be watching NHL playoffs as we speek.

Yeah, but we can dream. Since we're dreaming, I'm sure the Jackets would be cruising their way into the finals just about now.
:yo:

SedinFan*

Newsguyone said:
I checked Spike TV's corporate website and checked their advertising demographic studies.

Apparently, companies that sell hygienic products will not advertise with that audience.
However, one dental floss company does advertise with Spike. Strange, though. The floss is three inches thick.

Spike tv is a failure.
The NHL needs the credibility of a real sports network.
ESPECIALLY after this amatuer hour lockout.

I do somewhat agree with how you sum up Spike TV, however would it be a bad thing to have the NHL on another channel in the US?

Hasbro

Family Friend
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2004
South Rectangle
triggrman said:
Now ESPN is ragging on basketball ratings. Funny ESPN sounds like the problem to me.
Truth be told ESPN has been in decline for sometime, it's turning into MTV when it decided to get rid of music.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->