ESPN Dumps NHL

Status
Not open for further replies.

Weary

Jul 1, 2003
WC Handy said:
As for the networks. Yes, there is a chance that many networks would be interested in the NHL. The rights to broadcast the games will be cheap, the games have a specific demographic that advertisers target, and it would provide an entry to sports for any network considering such a thing.
If ESPN isn't just trying to use the lockout as leverage, this is most likely what will happen. But history will might make networks skittish.

Fox used the NHL as a entry into sports. They promoted the NHL and put a lot of effort into the broadcasts. But then the NHL turned its back on Fox when ABC offered a few more million dollars. That may make some networks uneasy.

Roger's Pancreas*

Smart move by ESPN.

This makes Bettman a lock as the worst thing to ever happen to this sport. Twelve months ago they should have been working on a cba because they new what was at stake. All I can say is that this better be worth it.

hockeytown9321

Jun 18, 2004
Newsguyone said:
This isn't just about $60Million. That's a pittance. This is about exposure on America's sports channel. So now there is no ESPN. Probably not any ESPN II. Of course, that means ESPN will have ZERO interest in publicizing the game. Hockey highlights will fall deeper into the sportscasts. We won't see NHL Tongiht, or NHL teams featured on the season.

And with a salary cap, some of the most exciting and most marketable players in the world have no incentive to play in the NHL. Pavel Datsyuk already signed a deal for next year in Russia with no out clause. His goal against Turco last year was probably the most positive exposure the NHL got on ESPN all year. He's just going to be the first of many. If these guys can make comparable amounts at home, thats where they're going to play.

mooseOAK*

I'm waiting for official word on this, the article wasn't the least bit specific and came from a TSN competitor.

Steve L*

Jan 13, 2003
Southampton, England
Visit site
Panasonic Youth said:
Smart move by ESPN.

This makes Bettman a lock as the worst thing to ever happen to this sport. Twelve months ago they should have been working on a cba because they new what was at stake. All I can say is that this better be worth it.
12 months? He tried over 2 years ago but deadline Bob was having none of it. :shakehead

Dr Love

Mar 22, 2002
Location, Location!
Donnie D said:
I never can figure out the people on this board. This is, just like the CBA, a business decision - and only that. ESPN might have been willing to take a loss on hockey when it was without the NBA, but now, why bother? They have more college basketball games to pick from during much of the same period as they could possibly need. Add to it the NBA and MLB and ESPN has about as much live programming as they need. At one time they broadcast Australian Rules Football. They no longer need that to fill their time, and they don't need the NHL either. In fact the Australian Rules just might get better ratings.

Who would take the league? Well no one with the stature of ESPN. Face it, the league needed the name ESPN more than ESPN needs the NHL. This should once again prove to everyone that, in the lower 48, hockey is a minor sport. I know that's hard to believe for those of us who live and breathe hockey.

No this isn't a grand plan by Bettman and ESPN. This is ESPN saying, "we don't need you anymore." The problem for the sport is that Bob hasn't figured out that no one, ok only a tiny few, even care if they settle. He is looking for major league compensation for a minor sport.
Excellent post. This is an indirect message to the NHL, the NHLPA, and to those of you who don't realize that hockey is very, very low on the totum pole of sports in the US. It is the 8th most popular regularly televised seasonal sports. And there are only 8 that anyone gives a hoot about. The ratings stunk on FOX. Well, that was FOX's fault. The ratings stunk on ESPN. Oh, that's ESPN's fault. No... it's because it's just not as popular of a sport in America as we think it is.

nyrmessier011

Feb 9, 2005
Charlotte/NYC
Revenue wise it's just $60 million so everybody pull up your pants and relax. It sucks for exposure though. ESPN2 will hopefully have some games. There's only like one game a week on regular ESPN anyway. Hopefully they will negotiate a new deal even if it's for free because they need ESPN exposure. I'm sure they will negotiate some type of a deal. Everyone has to calm down, this isn't that big of a deal.

hockeytown9321

Jun 18, 2004
WC Handy said:
And what meetings between the NHL and potential networks were you a part of?

I follow the TV business very closely, and I know what Spike TV's plans are. Those plans don't include the NHL. They've already spent their money on other programming.

skellart

Jan 24, 2005
Chattown
WC Handy said:
Exactly why this isn't the end of the world that many fans and especially the media will make it out to be.

It, btw, represents a cap decrease of slightly over $1M if 54% ends up being the percentage.

No, you're right this isn't the end of the world for the NHL but it is another brick out of the wall that holds up the bridge. When it all crashes down, all we can hope is that Bettman and Goodenow are underneath looking up trying to figure out which bricks can be considered revenue. :shakehead

hockeytown9321

Jun 18, 2004
Steve L said:
12 months? He tried over 2 years ago but deadline Bob was having none of it. :shakehead

Of course Bettman could have not re-upped the CBA(which he knew wasn't working) 6 years ago, but because of greed, he did.

WHARF1940

Jan 2, 2005
down in a hole
WC Handy said:
I think the best solution is to put the games on more than one cable network like the NBA does.

so, if the NBA is on the "drama" channel, TNT, i guess the nhl should be on the "comedy" channel, TBS, cuz this is a freakin joke already............

Dave is a killer

Dave's a Mess
Oct 17, 2002
Cumming GA
I really hope Fox gets NHL now, after the way they cover the EPL, and other soccer leagues worldwide, it would be a great move for the NHL to knock on Fox's door, (FSW is the ****) ... along with NBC (Spike, MSNBC, NBC) and just eliminate ESPN from the equation altogether

mackdogs*

Panasonic Youth said:
Smart move by ESPN.

All I can say is - what? The NHL has been trying to get a new CBA for about 5 years, this is common knowledge. Who are you referring to when you say they?

This better be worth it? What it this?

Anyways, to answer the question in this thread I think this does nothing but stall the process. One less deadline for BG to use.

SChan*

clou2.JPG

SPARTAKUS*

It doesn't matter much. A deal will still get done by June 15th.

No big deal.

sk84fun_dc

Nov 4, 2004
The thread title is very mis-leading as it does not say the same as the linked news. Choosing not to renew an option, does not mean ESPN is not considering showing NHL games if there ever is a season.

If they can get a new CBA by June, I think there is a chance ESPN will enter into a contract for less money/fewer games, but I think there is also a good chance that ESPN decided they can live just fine without any NHL hockey.

In addition, if there had been an 04-05 season, it was my understanding that ESPN would have shown fewer games.

While I do believe sponsors and television contract money factor into the discussions and the strategies of both the NHL and NHLPA, I think ESPN's decision not to pick up the option is expected.

hockeytown9321

Jun 18, 2004
Joe_Strummer said:
I really hope Fox gets NHL now, after the way they cover the EPL, and other soccer leagues worldwide, it would be a great move for the NHL to knock on Fox's door, (FSW is the ****) ... along with NBC (Spike, MSNBC, NBC) and just eliminate ESPN from the equation altogether

The major problem is that Fox Sports is not national and it would be impossible for them to show prime time natioanl games.

Spike is not going to happen.

MSNBC would have no interest, the only NBC cable outlet that might is USA, and they've just spent millions on the WWE shows.

Everest

Apr 19, 2005
go kim johnsson said:
It's worth it anyways. Cost me $150 last year but it was worth it. I am a die hard hockey fan who gets to watch CBC on Saturday nights is like watching God at work.

I don't even like the Maple Leafs but I usually watch all their home games just because of the atmosphere it brings to my television.
Yes,this is the post I was looking for...IMO CBC should negotiate a way to link with an American Network and allow for the American Network to fund/pick up on CBC broadcasting of the NHL...FULL TIME...CBC is unsurpassed and by pooling their strength/experience with an American Network...they could assemble a unique and traditional package together. I'm ignorant to the legal ramifications/red tape of CBC going on American TV...doing All American broadcasts...but I think it could work...(wouldn't the FTA be of assistance?)
If Americans were able to watch something like what we see on Saturday Nights in Canada(and throughout the playoffs) they would tune in.But too many of their local feeds are lame/amateurish and without energy/buzz/emotion...

WC Handy*

hockeytown9321 said:
The major problem is that Fox Sports is not national and it would be impossible for them to show prime time natioanl games.

Spike is not going to happen.

MSNBC would have no interest, the only NBC cable outlet that might is USA, and they've just spent millions on the WWE shows.

Just like everyone else here, you have no clue what network would be interested in what, so please quit pretending to. Thanks.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
hockeytown9321 said:
I follow the TV business very closely, and I know what Spike TV's plans are. Those plans don't include the NHL. They've already spent their money on other programming.

They're about to lose WWE which is their main cash cow. They might bring over Smackdown, but I don't think it will happen. Vince McMahon is about ready to move back to USA.

I know everyone wants the NHL to go to Spike, but I don't understand why the NHL fits into Spike's plan. TNT, fine. FX, maybe, UPN you have a chance. TBS, doubt it. I don't think the NHL fits on a station that includes Slamball, Ride with the Funkmaster, and Mythbusters.

Someone tell me who is going to be lining up for the NHL's services...

Jarqui

Jul 8, 2003
Visit site
Jacobv2 said:
Rock bottom?

I wish. If you want ugly, imagine what happens if they hold out until Sept 2007.

The good news is that stuff like this hammers home the money equation. Arena ad revenue will also drop with the ESPN deal, so it is rouhly around a $200 mil drop on 2003-4 revenues.

If the owners are supposed to make 10% of revenues, they lost about $20 mil collectively or $667,000 per owner. Roughly 54% of that $200 mil goes to the players, so the players dropped about $108 mil today or $148,000 per player.

Presumbly, they'll salvage something in broadcast revenue but it will probably be for a fraction of the ESPN deal.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad