2023 LTIR Loophole* Cup Champions
Oct 17, 2007
San Jose
>1. Auston Matthews

WHAT.jpg

Super Hans

Stats Evangelist
Oct 9, 2016
On the topic of ESPN idiocy, I've been watching the 6pm Sportscenter which is the lead-in program for the NHL doubleheader they're broadcasting tonight and not a single mention of the NHL 45 minutes into the show and 15 minute before the game.

Beau Knows

Mar 4, 2013
Canada
Normally I see the reactions to these lists as over the top, since these lists are often projections for a season or post-season, and people will lose their minds based on what players did in the past.

But nothing in the article seems to suggest that that's how this list is meant to be taken. It seems to just be ranking the 50 best players going into the playoffs. In which case, the rankings are basically indefensible.

Just at #1 - Matthews is neither the best player in the world, had the best season or is the best playoff performer of his era. So him at #1 doesn't seem to have any rationale. If it was a prediction that he was going to best the best player this spring...it would be a bold one, but at least it would make some sense.

This line in the article is interesting though:
Dozens of voters participated, choosing one winner in a series of head-to-head voting matchups of the players on the 16 postseason qualifiers.". I've never ran these kinds of list
That sounds like a poor methodology to begin with, and probably explains the bizarre rankings on the list.

tyhee

Feb 5, 2015
What the f*** has Matthews done to get ranked #1 for the playoffs?
He's an American, which makes rating him high likely to be liked by American readers of ESPN, and he plays for the Leafs, which is likely to make the largest hockey audience in the world happy when he is rated highly. Putting him #1 also serves the useful purpose of announcing to the world that the list isn't serious nor based on proven playoff performance, 2023-24 regular season performance nor generally on merit.

Coffey

☠️not a homer☠️
Sponsor
Sep 27, 2017
Phase 4 HMV
Speaking of ESPN, why don’t they have a shot clock beside the score during the game? Is that just a Canadian thing? Or cause ESPN sucks balls?

lionsDen

Hated And Proud
Jan 26, 2022
This guy went on HFboards and said how can i make this list get as many rage clicks as possible with my top two picks.
makar won a com smythe?

The writer must be an Avs fan, he has the Avs all over the top of this list. 3 of the top 11 are from the Avs.
makar and mackinnon deserve the love they get especially in the post season and have won a cup

lionsDen

Hated And Proud
Jan 26, 2022
Yes I get it. And it’s probably the right answer. But the main boards were at war about him this season.
Both had stellar seasons. Tight race for the Norris. Mack and makar are different beasts come post season. And I am not trying to slight anyone here.

Do people actually believe Matthews is better than Mcdavid or is this just a troll thread? Mcdavid is atleast two tiers above him.
As a goal scorer absolutely. AM ain’t no slouch. Mcdavid fans come off as so insecure

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad