Escrow??

Status
Not open for further replies.

trahans99

Apr 7, 2004
Home of the 2005 Memorial Cup
This may be a dumb question but if the players salaries exceed the 54% threshold, does every player give back the same %?

Example:

If league revenues are 1.6Billion
league salaries are 1.0billion = 62.5% does every player have to return 8.5% of their salary to the league or their teams?

Captain Ron

Jun 9, 2003
Gardnerville, NV
Visit site
trahans99 said:
This may be a dumb question but if the players salaries exceed the 54% threshold, does every player give back the same %?

Example:

If league revenues are 1.6Billion
league salaries are 1.0billion = 62.5% does every player have to return 8.5% of their salary to the league or their teams?

From what I have heard a player has to make a certain salary (higher than league minimum) before escrow is withheld from their salary. That being said it would mean the big money players would stand to lose quite a bit depending on the escrow %.

NotJT

Jun 28, 2005
Check out the latest Kevin Allen article, it suggests that though the cap is calculated on the previous years revenue the escrow / 54% number is based on the current years number.

Kevin Allen said:
Paying into escrow doesn't mean players will lose that money. If revenues are higher than expected, players will get some or all back. If salaries fall below 54% of revenues, they would get additional money from owners

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/hockey/nhl/2005-09-01-cap-update_x.htm

Read "Escrow Accounts to fill up" section

braincramp

Mar 10, 2004
My understanding is that the escrow exists only as a hedge against the possibility that 54% of total league revenues will not be high enough to cover the already-contracted player salaries for that year. If league revenues are sufficient, the escrow will be paid out on a pro-rated basis to all players subject to the escrow. Any escrow monies not paid out are returned to teams, but not equally; there are revenue-sharing provisions.

Captain Ron

Jun 9, 2003
Gardnerville, NV
Visit site
braincramp said:
My understanding is that the escrow exists only as a hedge against the possibility that 54% of total league revenues will not be high enough to cover the already-contracted player salaries for that year. If league revenues are sufficient, the escrow will be paid out on a pro-rated basis to all players subject to the escrow. Any escrow monies not paid out are returned to teams, but not equally; there are revenue-sharing provisions.

That is the way I understand it to be as well.

Captain Ron

Jun 9, 2003
Gardnerville, NV
Visit site
Sonic Reducer said:
So the Revenue sharing comes off the Top, of the escrow dollars?

A portion of the revenue sharing comes from the escrow money, yes. I think this is an attempt by the league to prevent the large market teams from collectively spending to the cap limit. Only to receive a good portion of it back in escrow refunds. The have-nots (small market teams) will have first dibs on the escrow money.

kdb209

Jan 26, 2005
Sonic Reducer said:
So the Revenue sharing comes off the Top, of the escrow dollars?

There are two rounds of revenue sharing. The first comes from playoff revenues, TV money, and escrow funds and is designed to enable low revenue teams to spend to within $4M of the league wide 54% salary midpoint ($28.6M). The second comes from just escrow dollars and is designed to enable low revenue teams to spend up to the midpoint, however teams with a payroll over the midpoint are not eligible for this second round of revenue sharing. After revenue sharing, any excess escrow dollars are split 30 ways and an equal share is returned to all teams regardless of actual payroll.

garry1221

Mar 13, 2003
Walled Lake, Mi
Visit site
the way i remember hearing about it, players are only GUARANTEED 85% of their salary. the other 15% goes into escrow. should the league's revenues surpass last year's ammount then the money is given to the players... should league revenues fall, the money is given to the owners. might be off on a couple things or my wording might not quite be right, but i believe that's the basics

Captain Ron

Jun 9, 2003
Gardnerville, NV
Visit site
garry1221 said:
the way i remember hearing about it, players are only GUARANTEED 85% of their salary. the other 15% goes into escrow. should the league's revenues surpass last year's ammount then the money is given to the players... should league revenues fall, the money is given to the owners. might be off on a couple things or my wording might not quite be right, but i believe that's the basics

That was actually speculation before the actual CBA came out. The escrow percentage has no limits. The league is suppose to update the actual percentage of escrow at 4 points during the season based on how much revenue is being collected.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad