Esche to start vs. Russia

Status
Not open for further replies.

John Flyers Fan

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
I've seen it in two different places today in Philly.

First by Tim Pannaccio, local Flyers beat writer for the Philly Inquirer, and recently on the local NBC sports report.

I'd imagine that DiPietro will still get the start on Wednesday vs. Finland ... but what do they do if Esche makes 35 saves and the US beats the Russians 3-1 ? :dunno:

shawn_kemp*

You have to take into account what's at stake here : nothing.

We will have to watch the game and see if both teams are playing 100%. I'm sure the US will, and I think Russia will 1. rest Nabokov and start Sokolov 2. avoid injuries and fatigue.

But we'll see, it might be the other way around.

Chimpradamus

Feb 16, 2006
Northern Sweden
Just about every team will play their backup I think. The Olympics starts on wednesday, less than 24 hours after the tuesday game. Every team want a fresh first goaltender.

I suspect tuesdays games will be a sleeping pill. And in "our" group, everybody will obviously think the 3rd place in the group is the best spot.

I will be VERY surprised if Tellqvist doesn't start against Slovakia.

The Mars Volchenkov

Mar 31, 2002
Colorado
John Flyers Fan said:

First by Tim Pannaccio, local Flyers beat writer for the Philly Inquirer, and recently on the local NBC sports report.

I'd imagine that DiPietro will still get the start on Wednesday vs. Finland ... but what do they do if Esche makes 35 saves and the US beats the Russians 3-1 ? :dunno:
Probably just to get him in there in case they need him later on. DiPietro fully deserves to be playing come quarterfinal time.

If he has a great game, who knows what will happen.

shawn_kemp*

IMO there's no doubt that Dipietro is USA's no. 1 goalie. He's been very good so far.

John Flyers Fan

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
I think Esche certainly deserves a start, but before he went to Italy he was basically told that he won't be playing at all.

I'm a bit surprised that if they're doing this just to rest DiPietro that they didn't go back to Grahme.

dok101

Jan 2, 2006
New York
I hope he does get the start. Grahame played, DiPietro has played and Esche is more than capable to leading us to a win against the Russians. We just need to score more than one freaking goal!

gobolt7

Sep 24, 2003
Florida.
John Flyers Fan said:
I'm a bit surprised that if they're doing this just to rest DiPietro that they didn't go back to Grahme.

I am still wondering what Grahame did to lose the starting job? He ad a team that was sleepwalking in front of him.

NJ_Devil_Boy

Feb 27, 2002
Toronto, CANADA
Chimp said:
Just about every team will play their backup I think. The Olympics starts on wednesday, less than 24 hours after the tuesday game. Every team want a fresh first goaltender.

Not Canada...unless Brodeur is considered the G. Backup. At this point, it really doesn't matter who is in net if Team Canada doesn't find a way to put the puck in the net. :shakehead

CREW99AW

Mar 12, 2002
John Flyers Fan said:

I read that little blurb.

Pannaccio implied Esche was getting the start,because the US wanted to rest DiPietro.Have him fresh for Weds. quarterfinal game.

If Esche has a big game against the Russians,Lavy and Waddell will have two goalies playing well to choose from.

blitzkriegs

May 26, 2003
Beach & Mtn & Island
Visit site
NYI.com

http://www.newyorkislanders.com/pressbox/archive.asp?id=731

"Still, Team USA's inability to finish in the offensive end means the spotlight continues on DiPietro, expected to start his fourth straight when Team USA plays Russia on Tuesday in its final regulation round game."

Of course, there is some self interest with the source of the article.

With the way the Russians are playing, I think USA doesn't want to rattle their most likely quarter final starter in DP if Russia puts on a shooting clinic and once again the USA shoots blanks like Tom Cruise...

CREW99AW

Mar 12, 2002
blitzkriegs said:
With the way the Russians are playing, I think USA doesn't want to rattle their most likely quarter final starter in DP if Russia puts on a shooting clinic and once again the USA shoots blanks like Tom Cruise...

The US defense is considerably better then Latvia's.I don't see the Russians blowing out the US, like they did Latvia.

The US will play 2 games in less then 24 hrs.The first game is basically meaningless.
The US would have to lose by about 9 goals,while Latvia wins by about 9 goals for Latvia to get the 4th seed away from the US.

It'd be nice to win Tues.game,go into the medal round feeling good,but the important game is Weds.

nomorekids

The original, baby
Feb 28, 2003
Nashville, TN
www.twitter.com
gobolt7 said:
I am still wondering what Grahame did to lose the starting job? He ad a team that was sleepwalking in front of him.

I don't think it's so much what he did as what DiPietro did. DP came in and played two excellent games back to back. It's tough to say, "well, maybe Grahame didn't get a good enough look, and maybe he could play even better than DP is playing now, so let's just take one more look." You can't afford that in a short tournament. You ride the hot hand. Likely, tomorrow, a mostly meaningless game, is just Esche's one stab at the backup role. In my eyes, and in the eyes of most American fans, DiPietro has earned the starting job and barring something unforeseen, should keep it.

Yureeka47*

What time is this game at? (eastern) and will it be televised?

Snap Wilson

Sep 14, 2003
I would have been surprised if Esche wasn't in there. Hey, he'll get to play in the Olympics, which is cool.

blitzkriegs

May 26, 2003
Beach & Mtn & Island
Visit site
CREW99AW said:
The US defense is considerably better then Latvia's.I don't see the Russians blowing out the US, like they did Latvia.

The US will play 2 games in less then 24 hrs.The first game is basically meaningless.
The US would have to lose by about 9 goals,while Latvia wins by about 9 goals for Latvia to get the 4th seed away from the US.

It'd be nice to win Tues.game,go into the medal round feeling good,but the important game is Weds.

All true.

Brad Tolliver

Terror Goes Into
Feb 17, 2004
Overtime
gobolt7 said:
I am still wondering what Grahame did to make the team in the first place. That's even if Ryan Miller wasn't healthy enough to play.

As of right now DiPietro gives the US the best chance of pulling the upset in the QF.

sabresrat

Jan 30, 2006
Destiny
Grahame let in 3 goals against an awful team, that's why he didn't "earn" another start.

This is just to stop Esche from *****ing and moaning and give their top two goalies a rest.

Dig Out Your Soul

Ex Storm...
Aug 8, 2005
sabresrat said:
Grahame let in 3 goals against an awful team, that's why he didn't "earn" another start.

This is just to stop Esche from *****ing and moaning and give their top two goalies a rest.

Esche already *****ed and moaned, this isn't stopping anything. And I'm sorry, Grahame doesn't need any rest, he's been on his *** since last Wednesday. It's to rest DP and that's it. If Esche has a good game, he'll be keeping the bench warm on this Wednesday, not Grahame.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad