Esa Tikkanen HOF bound?

VanIslander

A 19-year ATDer on HfBoards
Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
Tikkanen has that special thing in him. Something that makes fans and peers remember him. In a vacuum, Lehtinen might have been the better defensive winger and Tikkanen the better offensive winger. But Tikkanen is the kind of player who's story is not told by looking at the numbers and voting records. There was just something about him. Something that sticks on you. Character.

Not that Lehtinen didn't have soul and fire, he did. He gave 110% every time he stepped on the ice and he was applauded for it. Deservedly so. But he is not as memorable as Tikkanen is. Is it because playoffs? Because of being a pest? Because of Tiki-Talk? I don't know. But he had something very rare players have. If we're talking about the Hall of Fame, I'd much rather see Tikkanen in than Lehtinen and it's based purely on his character as a player.
Well put.

Plus Lehtinen has three Selke trophies that hockey history will not forget. So, he's gotten his due, in terms of lasting recognition of his special talent. Tikkanen's four Selke finalist nominations will be nothing more than a footnote buried somewhere. There's a sense that Tikki hasn't quite gotten his due in terms of lasting recognition of his talents that hockey history ought not forget.

That said, don't cry for him Argentina, as "Esa Tikkanen" is five times on the rings of the Stanley Cup, which will be displayed at the HHOF forever.

Reactions: Plural and Sentinel

David Bruce Banner

Nude Cabdriver Ban
Mar 25, 2008
Streets Ahead
He should make the HOF if only for the story about the time during a Kings/Oilers series where Tikk was assigned to shadow Gretzky.

He really managed to get under the Great One's skin, sticking to him like glue everywhere he went... culminating early one morning in LA where he showed up at Gretzky's house, got let in by Janet, and was found having coffee in the kitchen when Wayne came downstairs for breakfast.

VanIslander

A 19-year ATDer on HfBoards
Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
... he showed up at Gretzky's house, got let in by Janet, and was found having coffee in the kitchen when Wayne came downstairs for breakfast.
latest

Jim MacDonald

Oct 7, 2017
Good grief! Tikkanen was a far better player than Kevin Slow.

Neither should be allowed anywhere near the Hall of Fame, however.

*laughing at Kevin Slow...not realizing there was a typo on the back of his jersey when he played all these years! :laugh::laugh:*

HawkNut

Jun 12, 2017
I don't see it. He has neither the numbers nor the postseason accolades. I've always believed with the Hall of Fame, with any sport, there are multiple avenues and no one size fits all. I don't see any with Tikkanen.

Albatros

Aug 19, 2017
Ostsee
Holmström was an elite role player without a doubt, but I would say that Tikkanen as one of the greatests pests in the history of the game has a somewhat higher fame factor which is ultimately what makes him deserving.

People have the tendency to rate players purely by skill or achievements, but that's not exactly what a hall of fame is all about.

Reactions: Killion

Killion

Feb 19, 2010
People have the tendency to rate players purely by skill or achievements, but that's not exactly what a hall of fame is all about.

Precisely.... and one of the reasons I for one dont rail against some of the players who have been inducted yet who seem to illicit a considerable amount of venom from people who seem to believe that their contributions to team, off-ice etc ignored, but as their careers & stats fall short of the mark (according to them) have no business being in there.

Last edited:

HawkNut

Jun 12, 2017
Holmström was an elite role player without a doubt, but I would say that Tikkanen as one of the greatests pests in the history of the game has a somewhat higher fame factor which is ultimately what makes him deserving.

Lots of people in a given sport have the fame aspect, but it doesn't make them Hall of Fame worthy just because they have the fame. There needs to be merit.

Even though I'm not a campaigner for him, would induct Carbonneau before I'd induct Tikkanen. Achievements matter.

Jim MacDonald

Oct 7, 2017
Esa Tikkanen has 5 rings from 2 famous teams. He had good playoff numbers and he is perhaps best known for being the only shadow to have ever succesfully dampened prime Gretzky. His play has been described selke worthy by many, but just like Jari Kurri, he never got any nods.
He is not Hall of Very Good bound, ever. He makes the big hall on his legend or does not, simply as that. I think he is more deserving than Claude Lemieux.

Boy this is a tough one to me....right on the fringe....ya know.....he had a few playoffs where his stats were very very solid....and he has 2 more playoff goals than Stevie Y! Yeah....I put him in.....the OT goal to eliminate the Flames in 91, on the ice when Matteau scored in 94, and someone in a different thread told me in the 96-97 playoffs he was a stud, and looking at the stats backs that up. On regular season I wouldn't put him in.....but those playoff performances put it over the top *thumbs up*

RorschachWJK

Dec 28, 2004
Wasn't there that legendary playoff game where his team was trailing, playing lacklustre hockey and where he yelled and absolutely raved at everybody on the bench, including the coach :laugh: Then promptly went on the ice and scored a couple goals to win the game and turn the series. If you talk the talk, you'd better walk the walk...

The Panther

Mar 25, 2014
Tokyo, Japan
Wasn't there that legendary playoff game where his team was trailing, playing lacklustre hockey and where he yelled and absolutely raved at everybody on the bench, including the coach :laugh: Then promptly went on the ice and scored a couple goals to win the game and turn the series.
You're probably referring to game 7, Edmonton at Calgary 1991. Check Tik's body-language after he scores a weak one against Vernon to make it 3-1 Calgary (skip to sequence at 1:30):

Reactions: RorschachWJK

The Panther

Mar 25, 2014
Tokyo, Japan
Even though I'm not a campaigner for him, would induct Carbonneau before I'd induct Tikkanen. Achievements matter.
Love Carbonneau, but I don't think he had the sort-of of offensive contribution (esp. in the playoffs) that Tikkanen had.

In the three springs 1988 to 1991, Tikkanen is third in playoff point scoring behind only Messier and Gretzky, and ahead (in comparable games played) of players like Kurri, Neely, and Bourque.

In fact, from 1988 to 1997, Tikkanen is 5th in playoff scoring (albeit, he played a lot of games therein).

Having said this, neither Carbonneau nor Tikkanen should be in the Hall of Fame.

HawkNut

Jun 12, 2017
Love Carbonneau, but I don't think he had the sort-of of offensive contribution (esp. in the playoffs) that Tikkanen had.

In the three springs 1988 to 1991, Tikkanen is third in playoff point scoring behind only Messier and Gretzky, and ahead (in comparable games played) of players like Kurri, Neely, and Bourque.

In fact, from 1988 to 1997, Tikkanen is 5th in playoff scoring (albeit, he played a lot of games therein).

Having said this, neither Carbonneau nor Tikkanen should be in the Hall of Fame.

I'm with you on that last part, but Carbonneau at least has the Selke trophies and captained a Cup winner, that's more than I could say about Tikkanen.

frisco

Some people claim that there's a woman to blame...
Sep 14, 2017
Northern Hemisphere
Tikkanen has an absolutely glittering post season record. 72 goals, 186 games, five Cups all while taking on the heaviest defensive responsibilities. He's borderline as a HOF candidate but of Carbonneau, Lehtinen, Lemieux and himself I'd put Tikkanen at the top of that list.

My Best-Carey

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad