Speculation: Erik Karlsson

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
Dorion given a 3 year extension, Tom Anselmi vacated the team president position and former team executive alluding to Melnyk being difficult to work with

I don't see Erik Karlsson sticking around with this stuff going on.

We'd be one of another 30 teams if he hits UFA or the trade block but would love to try to land him if an extension can put into place. Just figured it's somewhat relevant as we still have a big hole at RD.

nobody

Aug 8, 2017
Karlsson already said he's looking to get his $$$. And deservingly so. I don't think we have that type of money for that type of a player. We grill Gardiner for his stupidity half the times, Karlsson is an embarrassment in his own zone and would get eaten alive by fans and media. Plus we dont really need more offense. If I was shelling out big money I'd rather spend it on a guy like doughty or even OEL/ McDonagh not EK.

Reactions: OddyOh

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
It's going to be super freaking tough to get him to go from the Sens to the Leafs no matter what.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
Karlsson already said he's looking to get his $$$. And deservingly so. I don't think we have that type of money for that type of a player. We grill Gardiner for his stupidity half the times, Karlsson is an embarrassment in his own zone and would get eaten alive by fans and media. Plus we dont really need more offense. If I was shelling out big money I'd rather spend it on a guy like doughty or even OEL/ McDonagh not EK.

You're insane.

It's going to be super freaking tough to get him to go from the Sens to the Leafs no matter what.

I feel like his game would work real well in Babcock's system. I also think that Dermott's game would really mix well with him. That being said, Karlsson would look great on a lot of teams.

rent free

Apr 6, 2015
no to karlsson. the contract he'd get would look bad when he signs it and get worse and worse and worse every minute

shortfuze

Apr 23, 2007
toronto
Would be a great player to have but I would much rather go after doughty if he hits the market. Can’t see karlsson coming here.

horner

May 22, 2007
Dorion given a 3 year extension, Tom Anselmi vacated the team president position and former team executive alluding to Melnyk being difficult to work with

I don't see Erik Karlsson sticking around with this stuff going on.

We'd be one of another 30 teams if he hits UFA or the trade block but would love to try to land him if an extension can put into place. Just figured it's somewhat relevant as we still have a big hole at RD.

Don't need him

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015
Ryan and Phaneuf long-term happenings aside, it'd be really tough for them to let Karlsson go. Unless the idea is rebuild and we pony up the best trade offer though, they ideally won't want him to end up here. Not sure what our chances would be in UFA, but absolutely worth a shot in the event he gets there.

BlueBaron

May 29, 2006
Sarnia, On
Never say never but....we'd be one of their last choices to trade him to.

I'd be happy with him, Doughty or OEL but I don't see how we can afford much more than an 8-9 mil guy. 12-13 is just too much.

If Ontario really is his new home though he may surprise and consider Toronto.

Not my first choice.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
I’m as wary as the next guy about big money vet contracts, but if one of the best DMen in the world becomes available like Karlsson, you drive a dump truck full of money up to his house.

The Leafs seem like a fairly Euro-friendly team too, wonder if that could be a selling points. Would prefer him to the other bigger named D men who may hit free agency.

Drew311

Makes The Pass
Oct 29, 2010

Karlsson was a two-way beast last season. He's been an embarrassment this season because he's been playing hurt. When healthy he's the best and most dynamic defenseman in the league.

That being said, I think the Leafs should avoid paying any free agent the kind of money Karlsson will be getting (11 - 12M). We've seen what having two highly paid players on the same team can do to roster depth (Edmonton, Chicago). Matthews will be the first to get paid and the Leafs job will be to build around him with productive, cost-controlled players.

Randy Randerson

Jul 28, 2016
Hamilton
if there were a way to get him for a number that we could budget for, you would have to think that's a cup favourite type lineup. Probably too much money but its nice to dream

Superstar

"Be water, my friend."
Jun 25, 2008
Let another team sign him to a massive contract that they'll regret...Shea Weber has 9 years left on his contract...how does that one look? It's a genius move that Poile unloaded him for PK Subban, or maybe Bergevin is just stupid, LOL.

And what kind of nonsense is this comment? "In the best sense" my a55...there were some missing a55es on those empty seats with Ottawa during the playoffs last year...writer blowing smoke up someone's a55.

Sorry to see more upheaval in Ottawa @Senators - the fans and city are terrific hockey supporters- in the best sense.

Clark4Ever

What we do in hockey echoes in eternity...
Oct 10, 2010
T.O.
He's not the same player since his ankle injury. Although he's still a top pairing guy, he's definitely not worth the money or term he'll command as a UFA.

Given our pending cap situation, our money could be spent more wisely.

Last edited:

Advanced stats

May 26, 2010
Karlsson is more of a luxury than a necessity at this point.

And it's impossible to justify spending $10,000,000 on a luxury.

darrylsittler27

Oct 21, 2002
In today's cap world to sign a guy like Karlsson means eventually you lose Gardiner and Reilly because you can't resign them. Is Karlsson worth $10M based on this year? No !

Jun 27, 2005
A sign and trade for EK would cost Matthews, so that's not happening.
A trade for 1.5 years of EK will cost a ton of young talent and futures so that's not happening.
Signing EK as a UFA will cost $12M*8 so that's not happening either.

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts
If we couldn't have him when he was at his best; we certainly do not "need" him at his worst.

Can't afford this guy anyway; I think his best years are behind him; will demand too many dollars; and cut into MNMDL fund (D is for Dermott; L is for Liljegren)

Thanks but no thanks.

Bodybr3ak

Nov 19, 2010

Not at all.

Karlsson is having a bit of an off season right now (36 pts in 48 gms) but is still one of the best defensemen in the game with his best years still ahead of him. Building a team around Mathews, Karlsson, and Anderson for the next 5-10 years would be insane.

I'd move mountains to get him if I were the leafs.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad