Erik Karlsson Megathread (All Proposals, Discussion, Speculation, and Rumors) [MOD 3470]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Number1RedWingsFan52

Mar 17, 2013
Winter Haven Florida
Listening to Karlsson, sounds like he wants to stay. If I'm this team I lock him up long-term. Whatever you get in a trade for Karlsson won't equal the value he brings to the team.
Of course he's going to say that he wants to stay in Ottawa, What else do you expect him to say. But at the same time he wants to get paid handsomely as well. And that's not going to happen as long as Eugene Melnyk is owner.

Reactions: CupsOverCash

KPower

Jan 17, 2012
Of course he's going to say that he wants to stay in Ottawa, What else do you expect him to say. But at the same time he wants to get paid handsomely as well. And that's not going to happen as long as Eugene Melnyk is owner.
And even if the sens do pay him market value Karlsson knows that nobody else will get paid and they will suck for years.

Reactions: CupsOverCash

ColdSteel2

Aug 27, 2010
:laugh: Hawks don't even have the pieces, Too entertain acquiring Erik Karlsson. Stan Bowman let Ryan Hartman go for a reason.

And that reason was to acquire another asset to use in trade or to draft another young player. That offer you quoted includes a top 10 pick, who else is offering one of those for Karlsson?

GoldiFox

Apr 21, 2014
And that reason was to acquire another asset to use in trade or to draft another young player. That offer you quoted includes a top 10 pick, who else is offering one of those for Karlsson?

I could see the Canes offering at Draft:

2018 Top-10 1st + Justin Faulk (signed through 2020) + one of Jake Bean, Julien Gauthier, Nic Roy, Janne Kuokkanen, etc.
for
Karlsson (signed to 8-year, $10-12 million per extension - handshake deal to go down July 1) + Bobby Ryan

Reactions: philb613

ColdSteel2

Aug 27, 2010
I could see the Canes offering at Draft:

2018 Top-10 1st + Justin Faulk (signed through 2020) + one of Jake Bean, Julien Gauthier, Nic Roy, Janne Kuokkanen, etc.
for
Karlsson (signed to 8-year, $10-12 million per extension - handshake deal to go down July 1) + Bobby Ryan

Well, I don’t think anyone is going to beat that. The problem is Ryan. Hawks can afford Karlsson but not Ryan in addition. Our hope would have to be that Karlsson tailors his NTC to only include big market teams that can’t afford Ryan.

GoldiFox

Apr 21, 2014
Well, I don’t think anyone is going to beat that. The problem is Ryan. Hawks can afford Karlsson but not Ryan in addition. Our hope would have to be that Karlsson tailors his NTC to only include big market teams that can’t afford Ryan.

You can rest easy knowing that the chances of Karlsson agreeing to any extension with the Canes are right around 0%.

Boxscore

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 22, 2007
Man, after watching the Avs tonight, it sure would've been fun to see Karlsson end up there for the Sens 1st back and a couple of stud prospects like Jost and Girard. A core of Karlsson, MacKinnon, Landeskog, Rantanen, Barrie, Kerfoot (and eventually Makar) would be dangerous and fun to watch.

member 290103

Ottawa could probably pry Juoleve, Virtanen and a 2nd out of Vancouver for Erik K.

Boxscore

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 22, 2007
Ottawa could probably pry Juoleve, Virtanen and a 2nd out of Vancouver for Erik K.

I'm thinking their 1st back from COL (possible top 10 overall), Jost and Girard is a better package, no?

I definitely like Jost better than Virtanen and Girard is close to Joulevi. The high 1st rounder is way better than a 2nd.

tony d

Jun 23, 2007
Behind A Tree
Chicago doesn't have the pieces I would want from them to acquire Erik Karlsson. Karlsson's going to cost a team a top 4 defenseman, an excellent prospect, decent forward and a 2018 1st.

Number1RedWingsFan52

Mar 17, 2013
Winter Haven Florida
Hawks are in cap hell with both Kane and Toews making $10.5 million per each and Seabrook making close to $7 million per for the foreseeable future. Chicago is the very last team that can afford to give Karlsson $12 million to $13 million per that he will be seeking.

ColdSteel2

Aug 27, 2010
Hawks are in cap hell with both Kane and Toews making $10.5 million per each and Seabrook making close to $7 million per for the foreseeable future. Chicago is the very last team that can afford to give Karlsson $12 million to $13 million per that he will be seeking.

They don’t have anyone on the team getting a raise this offseason and the cap is supposedly going up 4-8M. If it ends up being closer to 8M, that pretty much covers it. They could also move Anisimov (4.5M) or Murphy (3.8M) to free up even more space. The only teams in “cap hell” are the ones that have a bunch of upcoming free agents who will all want big raises given the cap increase.

Ivan13

Not posting anymore
May 3, 2011
Zagreb, Croatia
Man, after watching the Avs tonight, it sure would've been fun to see Karlsson end up there for the Sens 1st back and a couple of stud prospects like Jost and Girard. A core of Karlsson, MacKinnon, Landeskog, Rantanen, Barrie, Kerfoot (and eventually Makar) would be dangerous and fun to watch.
Not interested in that in the slightest as an Avs fan. If he is open to coming to Colorado he is welcomed as a UFA, but the Avs shouldn't spend assets at the moment. Plus, Sammy's going nowhere, kid is a gem at 19.

Boxscore

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 22, 2007
Not interested in that in the slightest as an Avs fan. If he is open to coming to Colorado he is welcomed as a UFA, but the Avs shouldn't spend assets at the moment. Plus, Sammy's going nowhere, kid is a gem at 19.

"Sammy" as in Girard? We're talking about Erik Karlsson and you're worried about trading Samuel Girard? Karlsson is 27, scores 75-80 points a year and have 2 Norris Trophies. He's going to the Hall of Fame after he plays another 10 years or so.

WadeRedden

Feb 24, 2016
I'm thinking their 1st back from COL (possible top 10 overall), Jost and Girard is a better package, no?

I definitely like Jost better than Virtanen and Girard is close to Joulevi. The high 1st rounder is way better than a 2nd.

They're both awful. Even though the 1st from COL has plenty of value, the optics of trading the most talented player in franchise history to recoup a draft pick they traded like 9 months ago is too hard to spin. Jost and Girard are good young players but again, it's complicated by the fact that they literally traded Turris for Girard to flip him to COL six months ago.

If Ottawa allowed COL to discuss an extension with Karlsson in the summer, a sign-and-trade would have to look something like:

Ottawa:
(D) Erik Karlsson

Colorado:
(D) Cale Makar
(F) Miko Rantanan
Maybe a pick?

Frankly, I think that would be a huge win for Colorado. Makar is an excellent prospect but he'll never be Karlsson and, obviously, you don't have to worry about losing him anyway since you just immediately upgraded that spot on the back end. Miko is obviously an excellent player but you have to give something to get something in this league and you're not getting a two-time Norris Trophy winner for Tyson Jost or Samuel Girard lol.

ToastrStutzle

Feb 1, 2016
Ottawa
Wouldn't trade Girard for Karlsson :laugh::laugh::laugh:

Never change HFBoards, never change.

SoulDynasty

Jan 25, 2017
Ottawa
They're both awful. Even though the 1st from COL has plenty of value, the optics of trading the most talented player in franchise history to recoup a draft pick they traded like 9 months ago is too hard to spin. Jost and Girard are good young players but again, it's complicated by the fact that they literally traded Turris for Girard to flip him to COL six months ago.

If Ottawa allowed COL to discuss an extension with Karlsson in the summer, a sign-and-trade would have to look something like:

Ottawa:
(D) Erik Karlsson

Colorado:
(D) Cale Makar
(F) Miko Rantanan
Maybe a pick?

Frankly, I think that would be a huge win for Colorado. Makar is an excellent prospect but he'll never be Karlsson and, obviously, you don't have to worry about losing him anyway since you just immediately upgraded that spot on the back end. Miko is obviously an excellent player but you have to give something to get something in this league and you're not getting a two-time Norris Trophy winner for Tyson Jost or Samuel Girard lol.

Ottawa would have to throw in a first line winger.

We know it’s not fair, but we have to build a team here. Can’t give up an extremely valuable player in Rantanen for someone who may not fit in with the team. Don’t forget that MacKinnon is where he is right now because of his chemistry with Rantanen, so not only would we be losing our “potential Karlsson” in Makar (don’t take this too seriously guys), but we’d also be losing our top line, which is the only reason why we are where we are right now.

PensandCaps

Beddy Tlueger
May 22, 2015

Ottawa:
(D) Erik Karlsson

Colorado:
(D) Cale Makar
(F) Miko Rantanan
Maybe a pick?

I wouldn't do that if I were Colorado. They should stick to the young route. Not trade their two best peices aside from Mack for a UFA.

WadeRedden

Feb 24, 2016
One thing that's really interesting about the whole situation though: Karlsson's comment about "getting paid what he's worth, and no less" has really spooked some people. Everyone outside of Ottawa seems to think this guy is hellbent on going to UFA and becoming the highest paid player in the history of the game. I just don't think that's true. He said he wanted to be "paid what he's worth"--that's it. Nothing about wanting to top McDavid or Crosby; he just isn't interested in getting stiffed by Eugene.

Is it possible Karlsson goes to UFA no matter who trades for him? Sure. But, this is a guy who's already had two major surgeries on his lower body. Do you honestly think if a team trades for him and offers him an 8 year/$84M (signing-bonus laden) deal, he turns it down? That'd be an extraordinary gamble for a player with his history. I just don't see it happening. I mean, sure, if the Hurricanes or Coyotes trade for him--yeah, he's going to UFA. But, if a good organization with cap room trades for him and makes him a compelling offer, I think he takes it like 80% of the time.

People really need to stop perceiving him as a rental. He's a guy you build around for the next decade.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad