Player Discussion Erik Karlsson Discussion Thread | Part IV | Foot Surgery Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheBradyBunch

Dec 17, 2008
9.25 isnt a very serious offer

It’s a very fair first offer. Makes him the highest paid DMan and the only one within even 1.25m is Subban. If he goes to UFA he’d need to sign a 10.7m contract to make the same amount of guaranteed money.

It’s probably less than he’ll get but it’s a very fair first offer. He’s not young anymore and he has a history of injuries. He won’t get much more guaranteed money on the open market.

L'Aveuglette

つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Jan 8, 2007
Montreal
It’s a very fair first offer. Makes him the highest paid DMan and the only one within even 1.25m is Subban. If he goes to UFA he’d need to sign a 10.7m contract to make the same amount of guaranteed money.

It’s probably less than he’ll get but it’s a very fair first offer. He’s not young anymore and he has a history of injuries. He won’t get much more guaranteed money on the open market.

It's a joke if they start with that offer. You can twist this any way you want but everyone knows he's gonna get at minimum $10 million and if they really want him to stick around, they won't screw around with lowball numbers.

Reactions: bert and BritishSen

Agent Zub

Jan 2, 2015

a fair offer is the market value. I can guarantee that tons of teams would sign Karlsson for 10.7. I mean 8 players in the league don't deserve to be paid more than him.

If Karlsson took this offer it would be a huge hometown discount.

TheBradyBunch

Dec 17, 2008
I think you guys are seriously under-estimating the negotiation process. The team will offer to make him the highest paid DMan in the league and go from there. That's not a low-ball, that's negotiation.

I would be devastated if EK is not a career Senator but if he feels slighted by a first offer that would, with zero negotiation, make him the highest paid DMan in the league, he's the one who isn't doing enough to make things work.

I mean, seriously - how much do you all think Doughty will get? 10.5-12m? I seriously doubt it

Agent Zub

Jan 2, 2015
I think you guys are seriously under-estimating the negotiation process. The team will offer to make him the highest paid DMan in the league and go from there. That's not a low-ball, that's negotiation.

I would be devastated if EK is not a career Senator but if he feels slighted by a first offer that would, with zero negotiation, make him the highest paid DMan in the league, he's the one who isn't doing enough to make things work.

I mean, seriously - how much do you all think Doughty will get? 10.5-12m? I seriously doubt it

9.25 is basically doing due diligence. not really a serious offer. Karlsson is a top 3 player in the world, not just the best defenceman.

Reactions: bert

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
Anything under 10 mil a year is a hometown discount. We have to accept that he is going to get double-digit annual numbers from someone.

Personally, I've started to move on. Erik is my favorite player to watch in the league, but even with him, owner Scrooge McDuck isn't going to build a contender on a budget. NHL is a pay to win league now, and we ain't payin'.

Reactions: topshelf15 and bert

BonAppleTea

May 16, 2013

His "history of injuries" is two freak injuries and between those an ironman streak of played games. The first injury still allowed him to be perhaps the best player in the NHL right before and during last years playoffs. There is no reason to believe he wont be back to dominating games in the near future and I hardly think Ottawa or Eriks camp doesnt know that. He will be one expensive defenseman

Upgrayedd

Earn'em and Burn'em
Oct 14, 2010
Ottawa
Anything under 10 mil a year is a hometown discount. We have to accept that he is going to get double-digit annual numbers from someone.

Personally, I've started to move on. Erik is my favorite player to watch in the league, but even with him, owner Scrooge McDuck isn't going to build a contender on a budget. NHL is a pay to win league now, and we ain't payin'.

I think most have hit this stage and it can and will be scary for the team....the dreaded general malaise, we all know the owner is using the team as a personal ATM and winning will not be the goal here on out, hard to get passionate one way or another as I assume like you, even if we sign EK the proper pieces will assuredly not be acquired to truly compete.

You see it here and see it on twitter and other social media platforms, anytime anything Sens related comes up or we are linked to a story immediately the owner's budget is referenced by fans of the team and then general fans of the league in general, we all have a laugh at our current misfortunes whilst crying on the inside and accept that it ain't going to change anytime soon, welcome to sports fans hell folks! We will not be in on any high end to even middle of the pack players, coaches, scouts or anything of that matter due to first and foremost our budget and antics/control of the owner, hard to get enthused about that as a fan after a few years of daily reminders. A good example of this yesterday was when Simmer from TSN tweeted out that Mark Hunter would look good on the Sens staff, the replies speak for themselves imo about the state of the current general Sens fan.

Wondercarrot

By The Power of Canadian Tire Centre
Jul 2, 2002

id say the structure of the contract is going to be as much or more of a show stopper for our barrel and suspenders owner,
like the other stars he's going to want most of that salary in the form of yearly up front bonuses and more money up front.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
id say the structure of the contract is going to be as much or more of a show stopper for our barrel and suspenders owner,
like the other stars he's going to want most of that salary in the form of yearly up front bonuses and more money up front.

I am confident he will want 15 million in each of his first 3 years, I mean I would, wouldnt you? Anyone thinking he is going to sign for anything less than 11 million a season is going to be dissapointed.

People are aware that in the last 7 seasons that defensemen have only eclipsed 70 points 7 times. Karlsson was 4 of them and was one of two that played at a 70 point pace last season he also mixed in a 21 goal 66 point season amidst that run. When I see people saying 9.75 is market value I really dont think you are lookint at the situation objectively. His skating was also fine the last 15 games of the season it takes a while to come back from these types of injuries.

Filatov2Kovalev2Bonk

Effortless sexy.
Jul 13, 2006
Cumberland

Doughty will 100% get 10+ if he goes to market. Toronto is desperate for a stabilizer and a bunch of other teams would love to have him, and have the money to spare. Now is now the time to lowball Erik. We got a massive hometown discount on his last contract so now it's time to thank him for seasons of Norris-level play and ensure his and his wife's security down the road. Do NOT f*** this up and low-ball another captain, for pity's sake.

Reactions: Smeddy

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
Us resigning EK ,for 10 mil plus means... There will be even less money in the budget to surround him with the support he deserves....With our current ownership ,and its forced poverty we are boned either way

BatherSeason

Jun 16, 2009
Gatineau
Us resigning EK ,for 10 mil plus means... There will be even less money in the budget to surround him with the support he deserves....With our current ownership ,and its forced poverty we are boned either way

Pretty simple, ship out Smith, buyout Gaborik and Burrows, trade Ceci yesterday and voilà, lots of money saved for EK's contract and he is still surrounded by Stone, Duchene, Hoff, Dzingel, Chabot with money to spare...seems pretty good to me.

Heck, if you only ship out Smith and Ceci you are saving close to 8 mill.

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
Pretty simple, ship out Smith, buyout Gaborik and Burrows, trade Ceci yesterday and voilà, lots of money saved for EK's contract and he is still surrounded by Stone, Duchene, Hoff, Dzingel, Chabot with money to spare...seems pretty good to me.

You seem to be forgetting who is our owner

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010

Well, except that you need warm bodies at minimum to replace them in the lineup which will cost you at least ~2 mil, but realistically, you probably need to replace Ceci with a better Dman than the absolute bare minimum unless you think Sieloff is a great option...

Reactions: topshelf15

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
My personal take, it will take about 80 mil (cap hit, not including MacArthur, and including a buyout of Gaborik) to keep the team's core as assembled until Ryan's contract is up, that's signing Karlsson at 11 mil, Duchene and Stone at 8.5, Hoffman at 7 mil, and Ceci 4-5. Guys like Smith and Pageau are expendable, Dzingel depending on what he wants. I don't think this team is willing to spend that much, particularly when doing so doesn't really make us a contender unless the kids exceed expectations.

Reactions: Sens of Anarchy

armani

High Jacques
Apr 8, 2005
Uranus
My personal take, it will take about 80 mil (cap hit, not including MacArthur, and including a buyout of Gaborik) to keep the team's core as assembled until Ryan's contract is up, that's signing Karlsson at 11 mil, Duchene and Stone at 8.5, Hoffman at 7 mil, and Ceci 4-5. Guys like Smith and Pageau are expendable, Dzingel depending on what he wants. I don't think this team is willing to spend that much, particularly when doing so doesn't really make us a contender unless the kids exceed expectations.

I guess I am an optimist (I am a fan after all), but I don't really see the team being worse next year with status quo core + young uns (White et. al.). You get a healthy EK65 and a full season of Duchene. With some luck better goaltending (can it be worse?).

They need to get rid of the bloat where they can (i.e. Burrows, Smith, et. al.) and maybe land a defenceman with top-4 potential (if not pedigree which costs more). With some shrewd GM moves, it's possible.

Keep: Karlsson, Chabot, Duchene, Stone, Dzingel, Hoffman (great winger for Duchene), and top-4 pick

Deal with the rest, be creative, spend some dough (i.e. much more in the form of an investment than the internal Melnyk cap that needs to go away).

Ryan and/or Gaborik will be cheaper to buy out in 2019 - lesser cap hits as EK and Duchene's new contracts kick in. MacArthur's contract disappears the year after.

Reactions: Silencio

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
I guess I am an optimist (I am a fan after all), but I don't really see the team being worse next year with status quo core + young uns (White et. al.). You get a healthy EK65 and a full season of Duchene. With some luck better goaltending (can it be worse?).

They need to get rid of the bloat where they can (i.e. Burrows, Smith, et. al.) and maybe land a defenceman with top-4 potential (if not pedigree which costs more). With some shrewd GM moves, it's possible.

Keep: Karlsson, Chabot, Duchene, Stone, Dzingel, Hoffman (great winger for Duchene), and top-4 pick

Deal with the rest, be creative, spend some dough (i.e. much more in the form of an investment than the internal Melnyk cap that needs to go away).

Ryan and/or Gaborik will be cheaper to buy out in 2019 - lesser cap hits as EK and Duchene's new contracts kick in. MacArthur's contract disappears the year after.
We can be better next year if we don't trade off karlsson and or Hoffman, but we won't likely be More than a bubble team. 80 large is a lot to pay for maybe reaching the playoffs, and you relying on goaltending turning things around

armani

High Jacques
Apr 8, 2005
Uranus
We can be better next year if we don't trade off karlsson and or Hoffman, but we won't likely be More than a bubble team. 80 large is a lot to pay for maybe reaching the playoffs, and you relying on goaltending turning things around

$80 large to keep Karlsson, Stone, and Duchene is an investment worth making, with the budget the team will never be any better with or without them. I know I am preaching to the choir, but they need to keep the core and shed elsewhere is my point.

JD1

Sep 12, 2005

I think your numbers are a bit inflated.

the first 3 by .5 or more. maybe by 1 with Stone and Duchene

I'll make a bet with you that Hoffman never signs a contract in ottawa again so he's not an issue. you pick the betting terms.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
I think your numbers are a bit inflated.

the first 3 by .5 or more. maybe by 1 with Stone and Duchene

I'll make a bet with you that Hoffman never signs a contract in ottawa again so he's not an issue. you pick the betting terms.
I intentionally estimated high based on the Kane contract.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad