Player Discussion Erik Karlsson Discussion Thread | Part IV | Foot Surgery Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
CBA requires the team to set aside 2 complimentary tickets and 2 available for purchase for each player on the home team. Tickets are supposed to be in the "next to the highest price" and in no event be "located above the lowest bowl in the arena"

So, yeah, I imagine they all sit together on most teams.

back in the day when I was sitting in a corporate box 20 games a year they sat right below us in the 2nd level.

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
Idk man, I'm just quoting the CBA. It may have changed over the years with new CBA.

I'm talking years back....many CBAs since then. we had a 2nd level box and they sat directly beneath us in the 2nd level. Carol Alt was a fav in those days.

Reactions: Micklebot

harrisb

Oct 6, 2009
I have a fair bit more knowledge of accounting than 101 and don't agree at all with your assessment.

it is indisputably true that NHL teams except for the elite few were bleeding cash. 2 strikes later and a massive TV deal from Rogers seems to have changed that. But this team, a small market team, with revenue in Cdn dollars was losing money. Not just the team...all of it...Winnipeg and Quebec losing teams didn't happen because of a lack of accounting tricks. Bryden losing the "team" didn't happen because of a lack of accounting tricks.

Before we go any further....do you agree that this was true across the NHL up to a few years ago? if we can't agree on this then there's no point in any further discussion

Lastly, yes it's a league wide problem for the bottom teams but it isn't stopping those teams for investing in success. We're cutting to the bone and likely have the lowest executive, scouting, minor league expenses in the league. If Melnyk isn't willing to absorb that from the other ventures he received when buying the team then frankly he needs to sell, it's really that simple.

His ego won't let him sell as he can't say "I own an NHL franchise", his pocketbook won't let him sell as it's the only profitable venture he has right now. Meanwhile he has zero intentions of ever attempting to ice a contending team unless we strike lighting in a bottle and somehow go on a run with bottom 5 payroll in the league (fat chance).

What happened to investing when the core was ready? I'd say Karlsson, Duchene, Stone, Hoffman, etc are all pretty much in that sweet spot right now. Oh, I guess your argument here is that the entire team needs to be in that sweet spot, gotcha, gotta rework our drafting and trading so all our ELC players are top 6/4 right out of the gate. That's the only way our payroll allows for competition.

Last edited:

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
Lastly, yes it's a league wide problem for the bottom teams but it isn't stopping those teams for investing in success. We're cutting to the bone and likely have the lowest executive, scouting, minor league expenses in the league. If Melnyk isn't willing to absorb that from the other ventures he received when buying the team then frankly he needs to sell, it's really that simple.

His ego won't let him sell as he can't say "I own an NHL franchise", his pocketbook won't let him sell as it's the only profitable venture he has right now. Meanwhile he has zero intentions of ever attempting to ice a contending team unless we strike lighting in a bottle and somehow go on a run with bottom 5 payroll in the league (fat chance).

What happened to investing when the core was ready? I'd say Karlsson, Duchene, Stone, Hoffman, etc are all pretty much in that sweet spot right now. Oh, I guess your argument here is that the entire team needs to be in that sweet spot, gotcha, gotta rework our drafting and trading so all our ELC players are top 6/4 right out of the gate. That's the only way our payroll allows for competition.

I'm not making any argument here about investing

curious why one needs to be a multi billionaire to own a team

why Bryden, if he had the money to acquire the team, went bankrupt owning it

those don't add up to making money do they

you used a lot if words in your last two posts but it was evident you don' understand in tge first two sentences

as I said if you cannot recognize that owning an NHL franchise was a cash flow negative situation any further discussion is moot

hope you have a nice day

Gil Gunderson

May 2, 2007
Ottawa, ON

Can I like this post multiple times?

harrisb

Oct 6, 2009
I'm not making any argument here about investing

curious why one needs to be a multi billionaire to own a team

why Bryden, if he had the money to acquire the team, went bankrupt owning it

those don't add up to making money do they

you used a lot if words in your last two posts but it was evident you don' understand in tge first two sentences

as I said if you cannot recognize that owning an NHL franchise was a cash flow negative situation any further discussion is moot

hope you have a nice day
You obviously are unable to read the very first sentence of my reply that you quoted. Can you also please name these non billionaire NHL owners other than Mr Melnyk? Also, you neglected to answer a single question of mine yet I answered all of yours, deflect and spin...

Bryden went bankrupt because he HAD to financially leverage the team to afford it, history tends to be a strong indicator of the future and Melnyk is doing the exact same thing.

Why you say? If you read my posts his finances have changed, significantly at that. If you can't identify a single 9 figure transaction of profit he has made but can identify several losses in that category easily it's fairly simple to see what is going on.

Last edited:

coladin

Sep 18, 2009
I'm talking years back....many CBAs since then. we had a 2nd level box and they sat directly beneath us in the 2nd level. Carol Alt was a fav in those days.

I remember I was with my son one game and we had little Ryan Shannon at the time, and i went into a Mickey Mouse voice and said " Hi, I am Ryan Shannon, pass me the puck guys!". My son laughed, and this lady in front of me gave me the dirtiest stare, and umm, yeah, it was Shannon's significant other lol

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Let me in Erik , I have a contract offer for you
less-is-moo-the-genius-of-gary-larson-image_fvmowt

jk - we know he's smart

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
The atmosphere around the team itself doesn't seem to be an issue when listening to the players talk. It was a bad season, but I don't think the players in the room are affected by much supposedly going on around them, nor do I think 'things' were as much an issue within the team as HFboards would have us think.

It looks like it will come down to whether EK wants to stay for the retool, or if he'd rather take his chances elsewhere, and/or are we able/willing to offer a contract to EK that he will accept.

The other two stars on the team are happy to stay, so I don't believe that EK is looking around the locker room and arena and wanting out of the 'grand Sens shitshow', I think that's mostly media and rabid fan driven nonsense.

The team is treating it's players well, taking care of them as it's always done, and making guys feel loyal and welcome. we're a good organization, we're just not rich, and the guy at the top, who doesn't control the team day-to-day, has a big mouth. I don't think we have much to worry about team culture, and more to worry about how soon EK wants to win/how much money he wants.

Interestingly, it's a tough choice to make because any good team is going to have to take a big hit to get him, no one is simply adding him to their existing awesome squad. Is the new team really going to be better? Man, the summer hockey soap opera days are almost here and this year we're right smack dab in the middle of all of the drama.

Personally I think EK will stay, but I'm a hopeful man. If he goes I expect a fair return that should make it easier for us all to swallow that bitter pill.

Reactions: IWantMyParade

Larionov

Feb 9, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Coyotes discussing 8-year extension with Oliver Ekman-Larsson

Very interesting. I wonder how this will affect Karlsson’s negotiation if he wants to stay here. What gets me is how can they start negotiating a contract before July 1st? Pierre Dorian must be dancing with glee somewhere....

If OEL gets 8x8, it sets the market somewhat. EK65 is clearly a better player, but not so much better that he gets a wildly better deal. At that point 8x10 to 8x11 probably gets it done to keep Karlsson here.

The Lewler

GOAT BUDGET AINEC
Jul 2, 2013
Eastern Ontario Badlands
If OEL signs for 8 x 8 ... yeah that's going to mess with comparables pretty good.

I can't see him doing that, Subban puts up comparable numbers and hes at 9 million, so I always figured that's where OEL would end up.

TheBradyBunch

Dec 17, 2008
Ddp9QPPUwAUM1WD.jpg:large

As usual, new information but we have no clue what it means :)

PS I don't think 8 x 9.25 is a weak starting offer at all.

Burns just got 8m x 8yrs. Hedman just got 7.875m x 8 yrs. If OEL gets 8m x 8yrs.... a contract that is 1.25m higher per year than any of those guys, more than any DMan in the league and all but 9 players in the league... that's absolutely a fair place to start.

Sun God Nika

Palestine <3.
Apr 22, 2013
If OEL signs for 8 x 8 ... yeah that's going to mess with comparables pretty good.

I can't see him doing that, Subban puts up comparable numbers and hes at 9 million, so I always figured that's where OEL would end up.

Subban also makes playoffs consistently, I know thats a team metric but when we are talking about players making 8M+ they alone count as more than 10% of that team.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010

Can you elaborate on puts up comparable numbers? OEL has one 50+ point season in his career while Subban has 4 in the last 5 seasons, and the one he missed was pacing at 50.

Reactions: JungleBeat

Agent Zub

Jan 2, 2015
Ddp9QPPUwAUM1WD.jpg:large

As usual, new information but we have no clue what it means :)

PS I don't think 8 x 9.25 is a weak starting offer at all.

Burns just got 8m x 8yrs. Hedman just got 7.875m x 8 yrs. If OEL gets 8m x 8yrs.... a contract that is 1.25m higher per year than any of those guys, more than any DMan in the league and all but 9 players in the league... that's absolutely a fair place to start.

9.25 isnt a very serious offer

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad