Player Discussion Erik Karlsson Discussion Thread | Part IV | Foot Surgery Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
Karlsson is like a quarterback hitting a receiver at full speed on a fly pattern.

Mingus Dew

Microphone Assassin
Oct 7, 2013
There's no way you're wrong - you can see it in his face.

He's definitely added mass in the last 3 years.

I used to work at Tommy and Lefebvre way back and he came in. I remember thinking how small he was in person.

Looks so different now. Dude is jacked and imposing as hell. Really coming into his prime as an athlete.

danielpalfredsson

youtube dot com /watch?v=CdqMZ_s7Y6k
Aug 14, 2013
I used to work at Tommy and Lefebvre way back and he came in. I remember thinking how small he was in person.

Looks so different now. Dude is jacked and imposing as hell. Really coming into his prime as an athlete.

He was listed as under 170 around the time he was drafted. It's hard to know his weight year by year since that stuff isn't updated frequently and isn't always accurate, but a few years ago he was listed at 180, now is listed at 190. It's entirely conceivable that the guy has put on 10+ pounds since the Achilles injury. Obviously it'd be stupid to say the achilles injury hasn't effected him, but I would guess the main reason he looks different on the ice is his difference in size rather than the achilles injury. With the added size it is a give or take thing. He has been a better player since getting bigger and stronger even if he was a more effective skater when he was smaller.

coladin

Sep 18, 2009
I agree with you but the blame falls entirely on the Sens marketing department for failing to market around how special of a superstar Karlsson is. Maybe after this playoffs and the type of things now being said about him on national TV they'll realize what direction their marketing efforts should go in.

He was already a two time Norris winner, we all know that. WE all knew that. He is the captain and is on all their marketing as the captain.

He deserves better instead of more excuses. This team deserves our support and hopefully moving forward they will get it.

operasen

Apr 27, 2004
TSN speculating Tavares would be an 8 year X 10M/per contract.

Would Eric's ask be any less? Melnyk will be pushed to make a decision,

Going to need to really plan to get him extended and re-signed.

Stone, Turris, lots of planning coming. Starts with 65.

HavlatMach9

streamable 3rah1
Mar 17, 2011
Ottawa
I think sometimes people bring up the Achilles injury as a factor in a change in his speed or acceleration, but I think the more likely factor is Karlsson has put on considerable size since 2012 when he got hurt. Maybe I'm wrong, but it seems like he's put on 10+ pounds since then.
i think by 2013 he reached a good balance judging by

When I watch clips from that time, his first steps are just so insane compared to now.

Karl Prime

Feb 13, 2017
i think by 2013 he reached a good balance judging by

When I watch clips from that time, his first steps are just so insane compared to now.

He was so good at that time that he was already being thought of as perhaps the best player in the world. It's amazing at how much he controlled the game with puck possession in 12-13 before the injury.

LoveRealHockey

Sep 13, 2010
Safe to say Karlsson should be viewed as a generational dman

This coming from a leaf fan that hates the Senators. I'm simply amazed at his hockey IQ and leadership. Get ready to pony up some big bucks....

Wondercarrot

By The Power of Canadian Tire Centre
Jul 2, 2002
Very true about his passing. I remember during a game this series when one of his cross ice passes was not tape to tape, and thought to myself "wtf was that EK?!" and then realized how ridiculous it was to think that. Literally one single pass missed and my first thought was what's wrong Karlsson?

LOL! YES THIS!!
Ive though the exact same thing.

FrozenJagrt

Dec 16, 2009
Greetings. I am a Leafs fan who has hated Ottawa since they came to the league. Just wanted to say, I hate your team even more now. Being all good and stuff. Not cool. And I am absolutely pissed that Karlsson has become as good as he is. Unreal player. Simply dominant.

Best of luck to you all with the remainder of the playoffs. I won't say I'm rooting for you, but I suppose I'm slightly less opposed to the idea of an Ottawa victory than I usually am.

As an aside, my birthday is in July, think you guys could give Karlsson to Toronto as a gift to me? That'd be pretty cool.

trobby

Aug 23, 2007
Ottawa
Time to stop creating threads on this guy.
He's just amazing. And getting better.

Eugene, don't mess this one up.
MAX YEARS - MAX TERM.

BLANK CHEQUE. YOU SMILE AND NOD.

Jan 19, 2006
Calgary
I just find it stupid that the media is claiming this is the best Karlsson has ever been.

I'd argue he has been below average for Karlsson, just because he can't really skate backwards, and has painfully slow acceleration by his standards because of his foot.

He's still dominating, because he's the best player in the world, but by his standards, these playoffs are just okay for the guy.

Karl Prime

Feb 13, 2017
I just find it stupid that the media is claiming this is the best Karlsson has ever been.

I'd argue he has been below average for Karlsson, just because he can't really skate backwards, and has painfully slow acceleration by his standards because of his foot.

He's still dominating, because he's the best player in the world, but by his standards, these playoffs are just okay for the guy.

His overall play may not be average Karlsson, but the playmaking has been peak Karlsson, no doubt.

TB1299

Apr 13, 2016

For sure. He is being Erik Karlsson except he is doing it when the pressure is really on.

He really is just being Erik Kalrsson with less acceleration and speed. Basically we have 37 year old EK out there which is still the best.

I am so happy he got.to play with Spezza and Alfie for those years. Real talents who excalled under pressure. That was so big for his development.

Here I Pageau Again

Jul 4, 2012

The big thing is no one pays attention to ottawa. Without any long playoff runs, we've had very little focus. And I can't imagine any media personnel focus on Sens games over any other Canadian team.

So this is the first time many are actually watching him for more than clips.

McCullogh

Feb 4, 2006
Paris
Do you guys and gals think Erik has elevated his game these playoffs?
It is nice that the playoff exposure makes the rest of the hockey world realize what a special player he is. But hasn't even he stepped a bit more during the postseason? Or is that just my wrongful perception for not being able to watch the Sens as much as I would like to during the regular season.

For me he and Crosby are the best players in the world and I find it hard to rank one over the other considering they play in diffrent positions.

Sens Rule

Sep 22, 2005

I disagree. Karlsson is just balls. Leader, warrior. And he trusts his team so he can play ninja assassin and not run at opponents spraying with a machine gun as he has done at times in the past and how Alfredsson acted when he just tried to do everything all the time in the playoffs when the rest of the team was against the wall. This Karlsson has a sharpened knife that he can just wait and stab the other team at opportune moments.

Physically he is not at his best. Mentally and well spiritually and emotionally he is definitely at a peak. And that matters more probably.

Here I Pageau Again

Jul 4, 2012
Do you guys and gals think Erik has elevated his game these playoffs?
It is nice that the playoff exposure makes the rest of the hockey world realize what a special player he is. But hasn't even he stepped a bit more during the postseason? Or is that just my wrongful perception for not being able to watch the Sens as much as I would like to during the regular season.

For me he and Crosby are the best players in the world and I find it hard to rank one over the other considering they play in diffrent positions.

For me he plays like this more often than not. He isn't like this every single game, but he controls the game on a regular basis and you see him step up like mad in any important game. So for me, this is nothing all that surprising.

Just look at the stats over the last 2 years of karlsson on the ice vs karlsson off the ice and the number of goals he plays a role in. It's all pretty indicative that this playoff play is nothing new.

(At least in my opinion)

Mar 20, 2006
Ottawa
I disagree. Karlsson is just balls. Leader, warrior. And he trusts his team so he can play ninja assassin and not run at opponents spraying with a machine gun as he has done at times in the past and how Alfredsson acted when he just tried to do everything all the time in the playoffs when the rest of the team was against the wall. This Karlsson has a sharpened knife that he can just wait and stab the other team at opportune moments.

Physically he is not at his best. Mentally and well spiritually and emotionally he is definitely at a peak. And that matters more probably.

That's very well put. Scary to think about that spirit and emotionally toughness when he is healthy. He is a man on a mission.

Sens Rule

Sep 22, 2005
That's very well put. Scary to think about that spirit and emotionally toughness when he is healthy. He is a man on a mission.

Gretzky, Roy, Messier, Yzerman, Sakic, Stevens... all of greatest playoff players had the fire Karlsson has inside of him. Always Karlsson has been at his best in the biggest moments. WJC, Olympics, Playoffs... especially these playoffs. Hamburger run.

Karlsson is not just a really great player. He is and has always been the kind of elite athlete that plays better and bigger the larger the stakes. And being injured has also helped him to play smarter.

I love Gretzky but he is not the greatest because of getting a zillion points. He was just an assassin. He was the most competitive player in the league. Which sounds crazy because he never hit anyone really. But he was always sharpening his knife to inflict pain at ever possible opportunity. To score.

Karlsson truly has that fire. And he knows how to channel it and never panic. Alfie clearly had that fire but he was very prone to panic.

Being down 3 goals in the third or one goal with 2 minutes left is a huge test. Will you trust the rest of the team and wait to strike when there is a real and good opportunity or panic and force things that probably are not going to work?

Karlsson has become brilliant at waiting and then creating his own opportunities like the beauty 120 foot pass to Hoffman.

I am too old to have watched Orr... butbI watched Gretzky plenty and Karlsson does Gretzky stuff. Like shooting from the goal line off the goalies back. And passing from behind his own goal line to spring Hoffman.

Karlsson has learned to harness his huge natural talent and wait to strike like a snake. Younger he took big risks especially when the team was behind in a game. Now behind in a game he takes more calculated risks and has better results and rarely costs his team when he takes the risks.

saskriders

Can't Hold Leads
Sep 11, 2010
Calgary
Gretzky, Roy, Messier, Yzerman, Sakic, Stevens... all of greatest playoff players had the fire Karlsson has inside of him. Always Karlsson has been at his best in the biggest moments. WJC, Olympics, Playoffs... especially these playoffs. Hamburger run.

Karlsson is not just a really great player. He is and has always been the kind of elite athlete that plays better and bigger the larger the stakes. And being injured has also helped him to play smarter.

I love Gretzky but he is not the greatest because of getting a zillion points. He was just an assassin. He was the most competitive player in the league. Which sounds crazy because he never hit anyone really. But he was always sharpening his knife to inflict pain at ever possible opportunity. To score.

Karlsson truly has that fire. And he knows how to channel it and never panic. Alfie clearly had that fire but he was very prone to panic.

Being down 3 goals in the third or one goal with 2 minutes left is a huge test. Will you trust the rest of the team and wait to strike when there is a real and good opportunity or panic and force things that probably are not going to work?

Karlsson has become brilliant at waiting and then creating his own opportunities like the beauty 120 foot pass to Hoffman.

I am too old to have watched Orr... butbI watched Gretzky plenty and Karlsson does Gretzky stuff. Like shooting from the goal line off the goalies back. And passing from behind his own goal line to spring Hoffman.

Karlsson has learned to harness his huge natural talent and wait to strike like a snake. Younger he took big risks especially when the team was behind in a game. Now behind in a game he takes more calculated risks and has better results and rarely costs his team when he takes the risks.

We gotta get a high end forward for Karlsson. Every legend had a number 2 who was a star in their own right. You can argue that they were made a star by playing with a legend, but Stone is not near the level of Esposito, Jagr, Messier, Malkin etc. If we could land that guy this summer I would​ be so stocked​. Especially if we did it without trading Chabot.

tstracuzza

Jan 18, 2017
Karlsson's passing, playmaking and vision is at it's peak, his speed, skating are worse than pre-cooke. (this also is because of his foot injury)

His defense is definitely at it's peak as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad