Player Discussion Erik Karlsson Discussion Thread | Part IV | Foot Surgery Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Masked

(Super/star)
Apr 16, 2017
Parts unknown
I am actually just starting to think its because Karlsson plays for Ottawa and most of the media resides in Toronto. Its not a Karlsson thing or a Canadian thing or a Swedish thing. They just cant stand giving Ottawa credit for anything, last years playoff reporting was obvious enough. The negativity about the attendance comes from Toronto, the anti Sens this season based on advanced stats came from Toronto media outlets.

It's not even a Toronto thing. It's a Leafs thing. The same companies that own the Leafs own TSN and Sportsnet. Bashing the Sens makes business sense for them. Either by drawing fans away to the Leafs (or even the Habs who are partially owned by the same company that owns TSN) or, in the remotest of possibilities, having the Sens leave town.

PatrikBerglund

May 29, 2017
It was scary to read that Karlsson said that his foot would never be the same again and that he didn't know how well he would be able to perform in the future.

Then again, Swedish media is notorious for lies and sensetionalism, so I hope that it wasn't all true.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
It was scary to read that Karlsson said that his foot would never be the same again and that he didn't know how well he would be able to perform in the future.

Then again, Swedish media is notorious for lies and sensetionalism, so I hope that it wasn't all true.

That's all true.

I don't doubt his foot will never be the same again. Part of it was removed.

We don't really know about how he'll perform, except he's been practicing and the media has been watching and no one has been pressing panic buttons yet.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Talk about paying the price though.... I am sure he'll be fine. As with anyone injuries can slow you down. He has lots of tools. My worry is he could be more susceptible to a serious injury as compare to a previously uninjured player .. taking a slap shot there for example. I am sure he is aware of any risks and I am sure he wants to take those risks.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Talk about paying the price though.... I am sure he'll be fine. As with anyone injuries can slow you down. He has lots of tools. My worry is he could be more susceptible to a serious injury as compare to a previously uninjured player .. taking a slap shot there for example. I am sure he is aware of any risks and I am sure he wants to take those risks.

I think it's a concern over the long-term. We can't pretend all of his foot/leg shenanigans haven't taken a toll.

Will they ultimately impact his performance or reduce the length of his career?

No way of knowing.

I do know that, if we're not prepared to gamble on Erik Karlsson over the long-term, there are plenty of teams who will.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
I think it's a concern over the long-term. We can't pretend all of his foot/leg shenanigans haven't taken a toll.

Will they ultimately impact his performance or reduce the length of his career?

No way of knowing.

I do know that, if we're not prepared to gamble on Erik Karlsson over the long-term, there are plenty of teams who will.

I was speaking more from his sake vs the team's .. no issues gambling on Karlsson

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
I am actually just starting to think its because Karlsson plays for Ottawa and most of the media resides in Toronto. Its not a Karlsson thing or a Canadian thing or a Swedish thing. They just cant stand giving Ottawa credit for anything, last years playoff reporting was obvious enough. The negativity about the attendance comes from Toronto, the anti Sens this season based on advanced stats came from Toronto media outlets.

And guys like Due Doughty also grew up and played in the GTA. You see a ton of bias for people connected in the GTHL and roots with specific teams (Whitby, Markham, Tor Young Nats, etc).

Reactions: Sens of Anarchy

Filatov2Kovalev2Bonk

Effortless sexy.
Jul 13, 2006
Cumberland
It's not even a Toronto thing. It's a Leafs thing. The same companies that own the Leafs own TSN and Sportsnet. Bashing the Sens makes business sense for them. Either by drawing fans away to the Leafs (or even the Habs who are partially owned by the same company that owns TSN) or, in the remotest of possibilities, having the Sens leave town.

The Sens don't get bashed at all. On Saturday's broadcast Hughson and Simpson were jovial when we were scoring, and Karlsson gets tons of credit from MacKenzie, TSN1050, Ferraro, LeBrun, everyone. Toronto and Montréal fans don't really care about the Senators other than coming here to see games, so there is not any benefit in being negative toward them.

$12M x 8 minimum. Lockout proof. $10M signing bonus min. Just like Eichel. Expansion fee straight into is pocket.

This. He's the most important player in franchise history and he needs to get whatever he asks for. Damn the torpedoes, it's about Karlsson, it's his team now.

Reactions: Marcus
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad