Erik Karlsson Discussion Thread: He mad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wallet Inspector

Jan 19, 2013
Would like us to build a contender soon, so we don't waste EK in his prime.

I see his ceiling as 70-80 point, 2 way monster who can get the puck out of the zone faster than you can say "Norris".

MiscBrah

Mar 16, 2012
I think he can get better, but I don't know how much.

What I think will happen is that as the team gets better EK will 'look better' because he's scoring more points and the team is winning more games.

He's won two norris trophies and the highest we've ever placed in the East was 5th in his rookie year. He's basically been on a rebuilding team for the last 5 years and still managed to win two norris'. Imagine what he'll look like when we are actually contending!?

6stringmofo

Mar 12, 2015
Ottawa

What I think will happen is that as the team gets better EK will 'look better' because he's scoring more points and the team is winning more games.

He's won two norris trophies and the highest we've ever placed in the East was 5th in his rookie year. He's basically been on a rebuilding team for the last 5 years and still managed to win two norris'. Imagine what he'll look like when we are actually contending!?

This is what my thoughts are. The time is now, I'm excited to see what the kids do this year. The rebuild is over, now it's about seasoning IMO.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004

I actually think the opposite is possible, that as the team & specifically the defence gets better his ice time could go down & others could have their ice time increase. It's hard right now for another right shot defencemen on this team to get any PP time because EK plays almost the whole two mins of the PP. What if Wideman, for example, turns out to be a pretty good PP quarterback, does he split the PP with Karlsson or does Karlsson continue to play the whole two minutes which he likes to do? Sure they could play on the PP together but one would be on his off side & DC tends to play guys in their natural positions. Plus that may also give Wiercioch & maybe Ceci some much needed PP time.

If the rest of the team is playing well including the defence I would think that the coach would want to spread the ice time around to keep all of the players a little fresher for the entire game including overtime. Less minutes for Karlsson especially on the PP could mean less pts but the team would be better all around which is what I would prefer. A better team that can go further in the playoffs & challenge for the cup.

Last edited:

J0sh

Jul 12, 2015
In the playoffs this year Karlsson somehow played even better then normal. Isn't he staying in Ottawa this summer too instead of going back to sweden? I wouldn't be surprised if the team gets better so does karlsson even if they cut his minutes.

Samsquanch

Raging Bull Squatch
Nov 28, 2008
Sudbury
Why stop at the Norris, he's got a mvp level season or two ahead of him if I had a guess.

I honestly believe that if he can play like he did in the second half of the year (ie a full year with Methot and with DC as coach) then he is easily in the conversation for MVP of the league.

One way or another, his next 5 or so years should be pretty epic to watch as a Sens fan.

BigBush*

His ceiling? Best player in the world. He often looks hes the best, just needs to be more consistent IMO

Rufio65*

His ceiling is 2nd best player in the NHL, second only to McDavid

Rufio65*

I wouldn't trade Karlsson for Mcdavid, Eberle and RNH combined

I really like karlsson, could argue he's the best player in the league, but if you are offered Mcdavid, Eberle and RNH you have to take it. Instantly.

DrunkUncleDenis

Condra Fan
Mar 27, 2012
His ceiling? Best player in the world. He often looks hes the best, just needs to be more consistent IMO

I agree, but I think it is his position (defence) that demands said consistency. We've seen, for example, Stamkos and Crosby "disappear" for stretches, as scoring forwards often do, however many still consider them top 5 or tops in the game.

Pretty sick that we can say a player on our team has the potential to be the best player in the world. Legit superstar and all that.

This thread makes me jazzed for the start of the season.

Last edited:

Sun God Nika

Palestine <3.
Apr 22, 2013
100 points elite at both ends of the ice 30 min a night monster, but he can't reach that on the sens.

Blarginator

Mar 24, 2010
It's hard to tell really. Like many have already said, I think it depends on the team. If the young guys all pan out the way we expect them to and we build a contender, I don't think there's a limit to how good he can be. I think he'll win a few more Norris and maybe a Hart isn't out of the question if we go all the way.

IMO, a realistic expectation that should be reachable is PPG +/- 5 points. That's almost what he is right now but he's yet to reach PPG. 75-85 points could be his top end with an excellent defensive game.

But if you want to dream a bit, why not 90 points? No forwards even got 90 points this year but if absolutely everything goes right for him during a season maybe we could witness something truly magical.

As long as scoring is down like it is right now, I think that's the absolute top. 95-100 points is too high unless we get a year like 2005 where everyone is scoring like crazy.

Anyway, even if this year is his top end, we are so lucky to have him on the team. There's a very good chance he'll be the best player in franchise history (if he isn't already).

Ttracer*

His disappearing act in the playoffs is wearing thin. He proved he has great stamina, and scoring abilities. Currently he's a top 10 player imo if he wins something other than "highest scoring D" that will put him over the top

DrunkUncleDenis

Condra Fan
Mar 27, 2012
His disappearing act in the playoffs is wearing thin. He proved he has great stamina, and scoring abilities. Currently he's a top 10 player imo if he wins something other than "highest scoring D" that will put him over the top

Pssst... Just to let you know, Karlsson had some of his best all-around games of his career this year vs the habs in the playoffs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad