Erik Johnson vs Jack Johnson

Anthony Mauro

DraftBuzz Hockey
Oct 3, 2004
www.draftbuzzhockey.com
Caniacforever said:
And that is probably the biggest overreaction to a benign post that i've seen in a while.

I honestly don't see why you reacted the way you did about that statement. It was only meant to show that "upside" is an extremely overrated quality when it's about as atainable as jumping and grabbing the moon.

I didn't compare Erik Johnson to Pavel Brendl in terms of development, I simply stated that talent in the hand is worth double the talent in the bush, depending upon your outlook. Whereas some would prefer a player like Pavel Brendl at the start of his career over a player like Andrew Ladd at the start of his career. In hindsight, it appears that Ladd is going to be a more solid bet to play NHL hockey for a living than is Brendl, who probably has double the offensive talent of Ladd.

Slow it down. The one in the hand hasn't even cleared your palm yet. Playing well for Michigan of the NCAA is light years away from producing at the pro's. He's not established yet. As far as I'm concerned there's minor difference between EJ playing for NTDP and JJ playing for D-1. Who's to say he doesn't end up like Mike Mottau?

As far as your argument on upside being overrated, let me ask: would you have chosen Jarrett Stoll first overall in the 2002 draft over Rick Nash because Stoll was further along in his development?

Vagrant

The Czech Condor
Feb 27, 2002
North Carolina
Visit site
Balej's Dance said:
Slow it down. The one in the hand hasn't even cleared your palm yet. Playing well for Michigan of the NCAA is light years away from producing at the pro's. He's not established yet. As far as I'm concerned there's minor difference between EJ playing for NTDP and JJ playing for D-1. Who's to say he doesn't end up like Mike Mottau?

As far as your argument on upside being overrated, let me ask: would you have chosen Jarrett Stoll first overall in the 2002 draft over Rick Nash because Stoll was further along in his development?

Well my whole beef with the Jack Johnson vs. Erik Johnson thing is that i've seen too many rough edges on Erik Johnson to consider him at the current level that Jack Johnson is on. That could be because of his relative age, which is a year behind in development, or it could be because he has untapped upside that may or may not be reached. His positional play is not at the level that i'd like to see, and he doesn't seem to have as good of a grasp of the defensive zone that Jack has. His offensive skills are undeniable, but his *forgive me for this HF* puck poise isn't quite as prevailent.

As for the minor differance between playing D1 and NTDP, i'm going to have to call a little exaggeration on that. D1, especially playing in the conference that Michigan plays in, is quite the step up for any player. Johnson now has to defend some of the best forwards in D1 hockey, and is doing it on a nightly basis and putting up over a point a game. That's simply impressive. This is really the first time, the WJC's, that Erik Johnson has had to face world class talent night in and night out. Not to scoff at the NTDP, which is no cake walk by any stretch.

My basic point is that I see the ability for Jack Johnson to step into an NHL lineup right now and produce on that level. Perhaps not tear it up yet, but he has the tools and the toolbox at this point, IMO. Erik has the tools, but has yet to complete the toolbox. That's why I said talent in the hand is worth double in the bush, because completing that toolbox is harder than having that talent, ask Pavel Brendl. That sums up my initial statement. That's not to say Erik won't complete the package, because i'm pretty sure he will. It's just that his upside is so exciting that people have a hard time grasping the fact that he may not continue to improve exponetially as he's done over the past 12 months. Size is a major factor in this. The fact that Erik is so big has scouts drooling already. Size = upside for most scouts, just take a look at all the below average talent that has been taken in the first round of the past few drafts that had "power forward" potential, and look at where they are now.

As for the Stoll vs. Nash thing, I didn't consider Stoll at "elite" talent coming into the draft. Of course there are limits to the talent vs. upside arguement. I'm simply saying that if the players are comperable in talent, one is farther ahead in development which is already at a star level, but his counterpart has more potential to be a superstar as opposed to star but is already at the level of an average player, then i'm taking the player that is already a star considering he's a safer pick. If you followed all that, then congrats.

Letang fan 58

No More Fleury
May 12, 2004
Canada
RangerBoy said:
Erik Johnson-------->Rob Blake

Jack Johnson------->Chris Chelios

Johnson,Johnson and Suter on defense for the USA over the next 12-15years:PRICELESS :)

What I am reading on these boards equates Jack Johnson closer to a Paul Coffey Mathieu Schneider with a little toughness player.

Where Erik Johnson is being equated a little more to a player like chelios.

While I still dont think either will end up as good as Dion Phaneuf, I do think that both will end up being better players than Ryan Suter.

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
phaneuf_fan_3 said:
What I am reading on these boards equates Jack Johnson closer to a Paul Coffey Mathieu Schneider with a little toughness player.

Where Erik Johnson is being equated a little more to a player like chelios.

While I still dont think either will end up as good as Dion Phaneuf, I do think that both will end up being better players than Ryan Suter.

If JJ is Paul Coffey or Mathieu Schneider with toughness, then he'd be Chelios (in his prime, obviously).

Erik isn't as mean as Jack so I don't like the Chelios comparison. More like a Scott Neidermeyer or a Nik Lidstrom.

And I would put both of them on an even as hell level with Phaneuf, who I am also EXTREMELY impressed with.

Letang fan 58

No More Fleury
May 12, 2004
Canada
Jon Prescription said:
If JJ is Paul Coffey or Mathieu Schneider with toughness, then he'd be Chelios (in his prime, obviously).

Erik isn't as mean as Jack so I don't like the Chelios comparison. More like a Scott Neidermeyer or a Nik Lidstrom.

And I would put both of them on an even as hell level with Phaneuf, who I am also EXTREMELY impressed with.

Well I know that Jack has been recognized as a player who is someone who can be goated into taking bad penalties that cost his team, from what I have heard this is a big part of why he didnt make the junior team last year, Is Erik Johnson prone to taking penalties as well?

So far ive only seen Erik in the game vs Canada tonight, though he did take a cple penalties they didnt seem to be bad.
I was extremely impressed with the game Jack Johnson had, until the end. I dont want this thread turning into one that has to be closed so please dont make comments on how bad you may or may not think the hit tonight was.

Thanks.

AgentNaslund*

after tonights game, jack easily. Canadian speed made Eric look like a big slug tonight.

Dec 30, 2003
Visit site
phaneuf_fan_3 said:
Well I know that Jack has been recognized as a player who is someone who can be goated into taking bad penalties that cost his team, from what I have heard this is a big part of why he didnt make the junior team last year, Is Erik Johnson prone to taking penalties as well?

So far ive only seen Erik in the game vs Canada tonight, though he did take a cple penalties they didnt seem to be bad.
I was extremely impressed with the game Jack Johnson had, until the end. I dont want this thread turning into one that has to be closed so please dont make comments on how bad you may or may not think the hit tonight was.

Thanks.
IMO its better to see a kid that needs to calm down than a kid that needs to be waken up in a big game. He also runs around alot and needs to be a little bit better positionally. He's still very young though and those things are very correctable.

Pipeandin

Dec 7, 2004
A big slug? Cogliano came down on him a few times and EJ stoppoed him cold in his tracks. Him and JJ logged a bunch of ice time and they definately looked tired. They both looked good though but Jack is better right now.

Transported Upstater

Balej's Dance said:
Thats gotta be the most nonsensical, sensitive because he's your own prospect garbage I've seen in a while.
You completely missed his point.

Anthony Mauro

DraftBuzz Hockey
Oct 3, 2004
www.draftbuzzhockey.com
TransportedUpstater said:
You completely missed his point.

If he didnt offer up a well thought out explanation AFTER, the continuation which you must have missed, I would say you're agreeing with a point that isn't even true. Oh my I can't believe I completely missed his point...but Brendl doesn't have more upside than Staal.

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
Pipeandin said:
A big slug? Cogliano came down on him a few times and EJ stoppoed him cold in his tracks. Him and JJ logged a bunch of ice time and they definately looked tired. They both looked good though but Jack is better right now.

Bingo. The Canadians didn't even really "win" that game. The US pulled the goalie. That's the only reason they got the win. Not like the US was outplayed much or anything. Just that Kyle would only settle for a win at that point.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
I'm a big Jack Johnson fan, but I think it would be foolish to downplay Erik's potential. Jack's alot more piss and vinegar, but Erik's right there when it comes to skill. Erik's also considerably bigger. I'd take Jack now, but IMO Erik could be better down the road. He could play at Sasha Pokoluk's size while being ten times the overall player. That is scary.

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
Rabid Ranger said:
I'm a big Jack Johnson fan, but I think it would be foolish to downplay Erik's potential. Jack's alot more piss and vinegar, but Erik's right there when it comes to skill. Erik's also considerably bigger. I'd take Jack now, but IMO Erik could be better down the road. He could play at Sasha Pokoluk's size while being ten times the overall player. That is scary.

I'm 10x the player that big ol' Pot Luck is.

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
Pot Luck is one of the biggest dissapointments of a college player I have ever witnessed. HUGE kid, good offensive skills, and a 1st round pick. I mean, you'd think he'd be something more than awful, but he's played like absolute crap. I can't believe he was picked higher than mid 2nd to late 2nd round and the Caps, right now, look like idiots for taking him that high. Who knows? Maybe he will become the next Niedermeyer or something like that in the future but he looks like the next David Wilke (just without the edge ;)) right now.

Letang fan 58

No More Fleury
May 12, 2004
Canada
Rabid Ranger said:

I was totally impressed with Jack Johnson the other night he had a great game, played a ton, has a great shot, seems to have a good first pass as well, Erik on the other hand didnt blow me away, I have only seen him once at this point, will see him again tomorrow night and likley again at least once more in the juniors after that.

I had heard friends of mine saying he reminded them of Phaneuf, I didnt see that, I get that Erik has the size, he didnt seem to have the speed, shot, or toughness that I recall Phaneuf having 2 years ago...who knows maybe he will change my mind over the nxt few games.

Atlas

Sep 7, 2004
guzzy said:
I think Jack Johnson is a much better singer/songwriter - at this point anyways :sarcasm:

I dunno, EJ did win a Grammy back in 1990 or so: http://www.ericjohnson.com

Erik sounds like a nice fit for the Caps. I expect free agent forwards to be lining up to play with Ovechkin so maybe it'd best to take EJ over Kessel if we get the chance.

Sinurgy

Approaching infinity
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2004
AZ
Balej's Dance said:
Thats gotta be the most nonsensical, sensitive because he's your own prospect garbage I've seen in a while.
Actually Brendl is now a Coyote prospect. Woo...umm...hoo

Daily Special

Oct 4, 2005
San Francisco
phaneuf_fan_3 said:

Thanks.

So you missed EJ's skating clinics vs Norway and Finland? He had an end to end with a one on one move even. The guy is 17, 6'4 220 can skate like the wind, pass like Blake and deliver crippling hits. One shift on a PP, he faked a slap shot, which opened the lanes and faked the goalie, then delivered a tape to tape bullet pass for a one timer down low. Scary talent from EJ.

Defensively on one play, he caught up with an opposing breakaway forward and calmly took his stick out of the play while leaning on him to take him off the puck killing the chance. He doesn't look undiciplined. He just looks like a moose with great wheels, a booming point shot and great instincts. He''s unquestionably the US answer to Chris Pronger in a few years.

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
Rush5Collapse5 said:
So you missed EJ's skating clinics vs Norway and Finland? He had an end to end with a one on one move even. The guy is 17, 6'4 220 can skate like the wind, pass like Blake and deliver crippling hits. One shift on a PP, he faked a slap shot, which opened the lanes and faked the goalie, then delivered a tape to tape bullet pass for a one timer down low. Scary talent from EJ.

Defensively on one play, he caught up with an opposing breakaway forward and calmly took his stick out of the play while leaning on him to take him off the puck killing the chance. He doesn't look undiciplined. He just looks like a moose with great wheels, a booming point shot and great instincts. He''s unquestionably the US answer to Chris Pronger in a few years.

Great post.

:bow:

Transported Upstater

Jon Prescription said:
Pot Luck is one of the biggest dissapointments of a college player I have ever witnessed. HUGE kid, good offensive skills, and a 1st round pick. I mean, you'd think he'd be something more than awful, but he's played like absolute crap. I can't believe he was picked higher than mid 2nd to late 2nd round and the Caps, right now, look like idiots for taking him that high. Who knows? Maybe he will become the next Niedermeyer or something like that in the future but he looks like the next David Wilke (just without the edge ;)) right now.
I'm a Cornell homer, and I laughed when Team Canada selected Pokulok.

HughJass*

Balej's Dance said:
If he didnt offer up a well thought out explanation AFTER, the continuation which you must have missed, I would say you're agreeing with a point that isn't even true. Oh my I can't believe I completely missed his point...but Brendl doesn't have more upside than Staal.

You are still missing the point. I didn't need the explanation when I read that statement the first time. Maybe you were just trying to find something to argue about, no?

:shakehead

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->