Erie Otters 2018-19 Season Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

OHL4Life

Sep 6, 2017
No. I always question stats when they get posted. They are too easy to fudge when My Hockey Rankings has games listed but the league does not post stats....and they are entered on elite prospects, but no one else from the team has stats listed

but no one cares...they signed the kid because they think he is a good player, not because of his stats. only parents care that much about stats that they come on a message board to correct them. relax, breathe lol

Reactions: ottersguy

OU812

Sep 11, 2017
but no one cares...they signed the kid because they think he is a good player, not because of his stats. only parents care that much about stats that they come on a message board to correct them. relax, breathe lol

No. I agree. He’s a very good player. After the rookie camp last year, I thought he should have made the team over some others who did. He gets his shot now! Good!

NOA

Apr 17, 2015
No. I agree. He’s a very good player. After the rookie camp last year, I thought he should have made the team over some others who did. He gets his shot now! Good!
I don’t think it was that simple with him making the team. From what I gathered at his press conference.. Hoffman still was considering options. Hoffman stated that it wasn’t until recently that he decided Erie is what he wanted. So if he didn’t want to sign to leave college route open, not much Erie could have done.

NOA

Apr 17, 2015
Anyone attend prospect camp today?
Unfortunately I could not. Would like to hear how Drysdale, Kischnick, and Hoffman looked. All expected to be on roster next year. Campbell/Bernard in net are also intriguing. And Sellan, Cohen, Carogioiello, Ritchie are other guys to be looking at

Awesome to see Alexander came to orientation. Lots of work to still sign the ASU commit but him coming here is a good sign that Erie actually has a decent shot to land him. If we land him, this draft would already be a success.

buzzworthy

Jan 14, 2014
I saw on that Alexander was interviewed on the goerie website. He seemed very impressed with the camp, the coaches, and Erie in general. Drysdale also stated that he was trying to convince him to sign. I am optimistic about this.

EON

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 31, 2013
Raleigh, NC
One year ago yesterday, Cirelli scored in OT to give Erie an OT title. Good memories.

Very good news that Alexander was at prospect camp. If he signs it's a great start to the 2018 draft. The 2016 draft is looking great, the 2017 draft could be good if Sproule continues to improve and Kischnick/Hoffman make an impact this season. Here is a brief interview with Alexander:

Drysdale officially signed, also good news. I am a little disappointed Schroeder or Miele weren't at camp though.

And Taylor Raddysh set the OHL record for most playoff games played, pretty cool. Hopefully he and SSM can come back.

Duke Guy

Sep 10, 2013
Just running down the Q rep at the Memorial Cup, Acadie, and noticed their back-up goalie is Joe Murdaca.

It's a small world afterall.

buzzworthy

Jan 14, 2014
Had Murdaca played the final game last season and won, and then Acadie wins it this year, he would be in rare territory.

Puckit97

Apr 8, 2017
Unfortunately I could not. Would like to hear how Drysdale, Kischnick, and Hoffman looked. All expected to be on roster next year. Campbell/Bernard in net are also intriguing. And Sellan, Cohen, Carogioiello, Ritchie are other guys to be looking at

Awesome to see Alexander came to orientation. Lots of work to still sign the ASU commit but him coming here is a good sign that Erie actually has a decent shot to land him. If we land him, this draft would already be a success.

I was able to attend the scrimmage on Sunday but have not had a chance to comment yet.

Drysdale as expected was far and wide the best player on the ice, dominant at times. His skating for a dman is some of the best I have seen at this age group. (season ticket holder since 1997). The few mistakes he made he was able to recover and regain possession by such fluidity in his skating. He displayed great speed, puck moving ability, and hockey IQ. He will be a top dman in this league for sure. Maybe not at 16 but in the years to come after. I would say he had the best performance in camp at 16 since McDavid.

Hoffman although older than some at the scrimmage was the best forward in my opinion. He was the biggest forward and used his size and strength to his advantage. Did a great job pressuring the opposing dmen on the forecheck and made a few nice plays offensively that lead to goals. Would think he has a good chance to make the team this year in a bottom 6 role.

Kischnick to be honest I did not notice him out there to much but for a dman that is not always a bad thing.

Alexander has the potential to be a great top 6 forward in this league if he decides to play in the OHL. His game seemed a bit raw but he also displayed much skill. In time he will get bigger, stronger, and faster. I can see the Strome comparisons but those are some big shoes to fill. Makes the team without question if he chooses Erie.

Reactions: ottersguy

NOA

Apr 17, 2015
I was able to attend the scrimmage on Sunday but have not had a chance to comment yet.
Drysdale as expected was far and wide the best player on the ice, dominant at times. His skating for a dman is some of the best I have seen at this age group. (season ticket holder since 1997). The few mistakes he made he was able to recover and regain possession by such fluidity in his skating. He displayed great speed, puck moving ability, and hockey IQ. He will be a top dman in this league for sure. Maybe not at 16 but in the years to come after. I would say he had the best performance in camp at 16 since McDavid.
Hoffman although older than some at the scrimmage was the best forward in my opinion. He was the biggest forward and used his size and strength to his advantage. Did a great job pressuring the opposing dmen on the forecheck and made a few nice plays offensively that lead to goals. Would think he has a good chance to make the team this year in a bottom 6 role.
Kischnick to be honest I did not notice him out there to much but for a dman that is not always a bad thing.
Alexander has the potential to be a great top 6 forward in this league if he decides to play in the OHL. His game seemed a bit raw but he also displayed much skill. In time he will get bigger, stronger, and faster. I can see the Strome comparisons but those are some big shoes to fill. Makes the team without question if he chooses Erie.
Super glad you could make it and comment. I heard that Drysdale looked special. Similar comments I’m hearing about him too. Elite skating and elite IQ. Essentially if the kid gets stronger and works hard, he is guaranteed to be a good 1-2 defender and of course has a chance to be elite/special. Dave Brown said it was the best skating he has seen on in some time. That’s high praise. And from him interviews, he sounds very humble. Probably looking at a future stud and leader/captain of this team.

Hoffman will probably make the team since he signed. Essentially he just needs to prove he is a top 14 forward and he will be here. And he surely is that. I am intrigued with his size and hope he uses it.
Gosh really hope they get Alexander. If he picks Erie he will turn heads. Erie’s style will fit what I’ve read about him. No doubt it would be one of the bigger surprise signings in Otter history. And would make this team back to good to great by 2019-20

BarberPole9

Nov 3, 2013
Ottawa
Hey guys, 67's fan coming here in peace. Sasha Chmelevski and Ivan Lodnia are old friends and Ottawa is looking to make a big run this year. What do you think would be a realistic trade for Ivan?

NOA

Apr 17, 2015
Hey guys, 67's fan coming here in peace. Sasha Chmelevski and Ivan Lodnia are old friends and Ottawa is looking to make a big run this year. What do you think would be a realistic trade for Ivan?
If Erie were to sign Alexander and/or an Import forward, I personally think we have too many bodies up front so lodnia could be had for just picks. Especially because Erie needs picks more at this point

Probably looking at 2 seconds and 1 third. Maybe some conditionals and some mid round picks like 4-5 round. He will be an average price unless he explodes this year which is maybe possible. Imo he has 40 goal scorer talent and maybe he reaches that potential this year with an older Erie team.

Puckit97

Apr 8, 2017

Depends on when he would be traded. There are some rumblings a trade could be made prior to the season starting.
If that’s the case and it is Lodnia the asking price would be a bit higher. Would like them to get an 2018 first rounder back but that likely won’t happen.
I would say before the season starts 3 2nds and a 3rd should do it. Maybe not even that much.

Puckit97

Apr 8, 2017
Looking at the draft and I highly doubt Ottawa would trade Tolnai for Lodnia straight up. If Tolnai is traded Ottawa would look to be landing an elite player. Lodnia is a great player but not elite talent compared to some that will go at the deadline.

NOA

Apr 17, 2015
Looking at the draft and I highly doubt Ottawa would trade Tolnai for Lodnia straight up. If Tolnai is traded Ottawa would look to be landing an elite player. Lodnia is a great player but not elite talent compared to some that will go at the deadline.
Erie getting a 1st round 2018 pick for lodnia wont happen and it’s an unrealistic thought.

It’s rare 1st rounders are even moved. I know 3 were moved this past year but let’s consider who they were for
Logan Brown - mem cup winner, 1st round NHL pick, big centerman, played on WJ team USA

Robert Thomas - top skilled centerman, OHL title and mem cup winner, first round NHL pick, played on WJ Canada

Raddysh- big winger who can score, OHL title winner, 2nd round nhl pick, 2 time WJ Canada member, and coming into the year 54 career playoff games (he ends up breaking OHL history record for most playoff games by individual player as he finishes with 78 games)

I was confident last year .. guaranteed it even when some obnoxious fans from across the league tried to say its far from a guarantee or too rare for it to happen ... that Raddysh would DEFINITELY get erie a 2017 first rounder. I was right. Plus I knew Erie would push for it after moving McShane. This year.. I’m just as confident in saying that there is no chance lodnia will get a 2018 first rounder

If you want a glimmer of hope for Lodnia, there must be hope that Erie as a team improves and we sign a top import. This opens the door for lodnia to play with more skilled teammates. And then lodnia has an impressive first half of the year, I’m talking 30 games played, 25-30 goals and 25-30 assists. And as a result he goes to the world juniors for USA and has some success. Then yes maybe. But I don’t see it, largely because I don’t know if Fowler/Golod and Others will improve enough to give Lodnia the linemates needed to do such a thing.

My prediction is we field offers early in the year.. maybe even before the season starts. Especially if we add that import player. Erie will try for 2 seconds and 2 thirds or around there. If we get that type of offer in September, I think we move him. If not, we might just hold off and let him help the team get some wins until December. It might be worth it for Erie to try to get some wins and see what lodnia does. If he has a strong camp and looks due for a breakout and chance to make WJ team, then I certainly take the risk in keeping him because at the very least we might get a strong 2001 player

EON

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 31, 2013
Raleigh, NC
The only way Lodnia lands a 2018 first rounder is if he explodes this season. Otherwise I'd think he gets maybe 3 2nds, or a good 2001 born player and pick or two.

It will be interesting to see what Erie does at the import draft, that will give us a better idea of where they are taking the team.

Puckit97

Apr 8, 2017
I agree a first rounder from this past draft is not going to happen. If he is traded prior to the season I think 2 or 3 2nds and a 3rd is fair. Most likely will see some conditional picks in the deal though. If he would happen to return for an OA year Erie needs to be compensated. Probably some late round picks that become 2nd, 3rd, or 4ths if he plays his OA year which is unlikely but you never know.
I would rather they get an 01 and less picks in return. Similar to London getting Dunkely last season. Doubt Lodnia nets an 01 first rounder just using that as an example.

NOA

Apr 17, 2015
I agree a first rounder from this past draft is not going to happen. If he is traded prior to the season I think 2 or 3 2nds and a 3rd is fair. Most likely will see some conditional picks in the deal though. If he would happen to return for an OA year Erie needs to be compensated. Probably some late round picks that become 2nd, 3rd, or 4ths if he plays his OA year which is unlikely but you never know.
I would rather they get an 01 and less picks in return. Similar to London getting Dunkely last season. Doubt Lodnia nets an 01 first rounder just using that as an example.
I see your point with compensation picks. But he won’t be back as an OA. As a signed 3rd round nhl pick, he’s gone after this coming season. Plus he’s a better all around player than most around the league know. He plays a pretty steady 200ft game so he will be AHL ready by next year.

I imagine Erie doesn’t know what they are doing yet. They will likely field offers for him early but if the right deal isn’t there, no problem with waiting and keeping him around a bit to help get some wins

Puckit97

Apr 8, 2017
I see your point with compensation picks. But he won’t be back as an OA. As a signed 3rd round nhl pick, he’s gone after this coming season. Plus he’s a better all around player than most around the league know. He plays a pretty steady 200ft game so he will be AHL ready by next year.

I imagine Erie doesn’t know what they are doing yet. They will likely field offers for him early but if the right deal isn’t there, no problem with waiting and keeping him around a bit to help get some wins

I agree he is likely not back but Warren Foegle played an OA season and IMO he is a better player than Lodnia. Just saying I would hope Brown considers that and gets a conditional pick or two.

On an unrelated note, I see the Red Wings have 10 days to sign Jordan Sambrook. I will have to look up the trade but I don't recall any conditional picks if he plays his OA season which at this point appears 50/50.

NOA

Apr 17, 2015
I agree he is likely not back but Warren Foegle played an OA season and IMO he is a better player than Lodnia. Just saying I would hope Brown considers that and gets a conditional pick or two.

On an unrelated note, I see the Red Wings have 10 days to sign Jordan Sambrook. I will have to look up the trade but I don't recall any conditional picks if he plays his OA season which at this point appears 50/50.
There are some rare cases but Warren was unique. He was a high school draft pick. Carolina took a gamble on his rare skills. He ultimately played college hockey for a bit before signing with Kingston during the middle of his fourth season of OHL eligibility.

He is more like Jordan Sambrook because Carolina never signed him until March 2017 (already while he was in Erie and towards the end of his OA season). Also nearly 3 years after being initially drafted. Though I agree that Foegele “was” a better player, Lodnia is still 3 years younger. We are basing these opinions on Warren’s performance during 30 games and the playoffs with an elite all star team and when he was 21 years of age. Compared to Lodnia who was 17 years old that year and this past year at only 18 years old on a rebuilding young team. Who is to say that Lodnia at 21 years old in this league as an OA wouldn’t be a stud? I think he would be and if he was on an elite team as an OA you are looking at a 45-50 goal scorer and 100 point player... something Foegele wasn’t

Lodnia also signed during the middle of his 3rd year of OHL eligibility. And just 6 months after drafted in NHL. That’s a sign that the Wild already see good things from him. He will be in pro hockey by next year because of it. I see like a 2% chance of him playing an OA season

NOA

Apr 17, 2015
I don’t believe there are conditionals
The trade was this:
-2nd (2019, 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023)
-3rd (2018, 2023)
-6th (2018, 2021)
-Fowler

Raddysh has already admitted that he forced his way to SSM. Why? He said he told Dave Brown he wanted to go to whoever the best team was. Didn’t matter who it was, just whoever had the best record essentially. He thought they were a lock to win a mem cup or at least get there. I don’t blame him for wanting that chance but it hurt Erie’s chances to have any bidding on him. Actually because of his “forcing” to SSM, Erie is lucky they got a great deal. Fowler looks like a potential top star in this league. And we got 7 high end picks.. mostly 2nds which we needed

If we look at Thomas to Hamilton (Thomas a year younger and high draft pick) we see that Thomas required
-2nd round (2021, 2019/20*, 2023*)
-McMichael

From what I read about the conditions, it’s one of the 2019 or 2020 seconds if/when they acquire one. And 2023 for winning the OHL title. He would get London 2 more seconds in 2025, 2026 IF he returned next season.

We can also look at what Windsor received for a true half season of Brown and McEnery. They got:
-2nd round (2018, 2019)
-3rd round (2018)
-5th round (2019)
-Grayson Ladd

Lastly, let’s look at Kingston trade for Vilardi and Day. They traded
-2nd round (2020, 2022, 2024, 2025)
-3rd round (2020)
-Cody Morgan
3 Conditional picks based on Vilardi returning*

Summary:
Vilardi/Day got 4 seconds, 1 third and 2018 first round player.
Thomas got 3 seconds, and 2018 first round player.
Brown/McEnery got 2 seconds, 1 third, and 2018 first round player
Raddysh/Sambrook got 5 seconds, 2 thirds, and 2018 first round player.

If we look at Brown/McEnery deal, we see that Erie essentially got 3 more seconds and 1 more third. So that would more than make up for sambrook OA season.
Let’s assume that Raddysh went for 3 seconds and 1 third + Fowler. That’s a really good pay up by SSM and would be more than the Thomas trade (after conditionals and if he didn’t return next season). And it would then leave the Sambrook part of the deal as 2 seconds, 1 third, 2 sixth rounds. Not bad imo. You could maybe argue that one of those 6th rounders could have turned into a 2nd or 3rd if he returned for OA season but I argue that the initial trade already accounted for him possibly returning.. thus no conditionals. Erie still made out very very good.

Puckit97

Apr 8, 2017
There are some rare cases but Warren was unique. He was a high school draft pick. Carolina took a gamble on his rare skills. He ultimately played college hockey for a bit before signing with Kingston during the middle of his fourth season of OHL eligibility.

He is more like Jordan Sambrook because Carolina never signed him until March 2017 (already while he was in Erie and towards the end of his OA season). Also nearly 3 years after being initially drafted. Though I agree that Foegele “was” a better player, Lodnia is still 3 years younger. We are basing these opinions on Warren’s performance during 30 games and the playoffs with an elite all star team and when he was 21 years of age. Compared to Lodnia who was 17 years old that year and this past year at only 18 years old on a rebuilding young team. Who is to say that Lodnia at 21 years old in this league as an OA wouldn’t be a stud? I think he would be and if he was on an elite team as an OA you are looking at a 45-50 goal scorer and 100 point player... something Foegele wasn’t

Lodnia also signed during the middle of his 3rd year of OHL eligibility. And just 6 months after drafted in NHL. That’s a sign that the Wild already see good things from him. He will be in pro hockey by next year because of it. I see like a 2% chance of him playing an OA season

I know Foegle's situation was a different than most but just an example of how a team should always factor that in. Honestly I do not see Lodnia ever developing into a player of Foegle's caliber. Foegle had that drive on every shift that you do not always see from players. His stats from this past season with Charlotte are impressive for someone who played an OA year and he earned a call up to Carolina for two games. I wish Lodnia the best if he is moved but IMO he has not developed to his full potential from what we saw in his rookie year.

Puckit97

Apr 8, 2017
I don’t believe there are conditionals
The trade was this:
-2nd (2019, 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023)
-3rd (2018, 2023)
-6th (2018, 2021)
-Fowler

Raddysh has already admitted that he forced his way to SSM. Why? He said he told Dave Brown he wanted to go to whoever the best team was. Didn’t matter who it was, just whoever had the best record essentially. He thought they were a lock to win a mem cup or at least get there. I don’t blame him for wanting that chance but it hurt Erie’s chances to have any bidding on him. Actually because of his “forcing” to SSM, Erie is lucky they got a great deal. Fowler looks like a potential top star in this league. And we got 7 high end picks.. mostly 2nds which we needed

If we look at Thomas to Hamilton (Thomas a year younger and high draft pick) we see that Thomas required
-2nd round (2021, 2019/20*, 2023*)
-McMichael

From what I read about the conditions, it’s one of the 2019 or 2020 seconds if/when they acquire one. And 2023 for winning the OHL title. He would get London 2 more seconds in 2025, 2026 IF he returned next season.

We can also look at what Windsor received for a true half season of Brown and McEnery. They got:
-2nd round (2018, 2019)
-3rd round (2018)
-5th round (2019)
-Grayson Ladd

Lastly, let’s look at Kingston trade for Vilardi and Day. They traded
-2nd round (2020, 2022, 2024, 2025)
-3rd round (2020)
-Cody Morgan
3 Conditional picks based on Vilardi returning*

Summary:
Vilardi/Day got 4 seconds, 1 third and 2018 first round player.
Thomas got 3 seconds, and 2018 first round player.
Brown/McEnery got 2 seconds, 1 third, and 2018 first round player
Raddysh/Sambrook got 5 seconds, 2 thirds, and 2018 first round player.

If we look at Brown/McEnery deal, we see that Erie essentially got 3 more seconds and 1 more third. So that would more than make up for sambrook OA season.
Let’s assume that Raddysh went for 3 seconds and 1 third + Fowler. That’s a really good pay up by SSM and would be more than the Thomas trade (after conditionals and if he didn’t return next season). And it would then leave the Sambrook part of the deal as 2 seconds, 1 third, 2 sixth rounds. Not bad imo. You could maybe argue that one of those 6th rounders could have turned into a 2nd or 3rd if he returned for OA season but I argue that the initial trade already accounted for him possibly returning.. thus no conditionals. Erie still made out very very good.

I agree Erie got a great deal but those conditional picks in the Vilardi trade if returned would net them a total of 6 2nds and 2 3rds. Does Vilardi return next year? I doubt it but it has happened in the past a player of his caliber returned for a 19 year old season. I'd say there is 25% chance he gets sent back at some point. Strome is an example just from Erie. Now is Sambrook a player like Vilardi (I know Vilardi would not be an OA but no chance he plays an OA season) No, not even close. but Erie gave up 3 2nds and a 3rd for Kurtis Macdermid. IMO Sambrook is a more reliable dman than Macdermid. I tip my cap to Dave Brown as he has done a near perfect job as the GM since taking over. I just wish a conditional 2nd or 3rd was in that deal and he may have tried to include that for all we know and got shut down.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad