Erie Otters 2018-19 Season Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

NOA

Apr 17, 2015
Just saw Drysdales' interview on the priority selection show. Really got me pumped for next season.
What a kid. Sounds so humble. Erie has a way with picking great character, especially early in drafts.
Probably looking at a future captain of this team.
And no surprise he cited that game vs Windsor as a turning point for him in helping him pick Erie. The Erie fans always create good environment but there are those games where you say “yep Erie fans are into this one” or “we are feeling it tonight” and those are the best atmospheres.. and when it’s like that, EIA is the best crowd in the league with energy. Just so happened that the Windsor game was one of those crowds. And Drysdale was there. Certainly helped us pull him towards this team

NOA

Apr 17, 2015
Love the Alexander pick. Drysdale teammates and Erie has tons of success with Marlboro picks.

ZinErie

Nov 12, 2013
Otters just drafted 3 US kids late in the draft. A D out of Michigan, a G from Pittsburgh and a F from Tennessee. I was just talking to someone about kids coming to the OHL from southern states because of youth programs related to NHL expansion in the south. There may have been some I missed, but I don't recall a Tennessee kid getting drafted into the league before. I've paid attention to this over the past few years. We've had kids from Florida, North Carolina and St. Louis in the league. Will be interesting to see if this increases over the years and if the Otters will be more involved.

NOA

Apr 17, 2015
Seems like Erie did a solid job in the draft. I’m loving the Drysdale pick even more. You can tell the kid really wanted to come here. Doesn’t sound like fake talk either. He’s grinning from ear to ear and constantly mentioning the thrill of being selected here even when the question isn’t related to that. Kid is happy. And the more I read about him and watch some highlights, the more I think he has a chance to be one of the more special defenders to recently come through this league.

If Alexander shows up then we are in good shape with this draft. Wish we have taken more college players but all you need is one to show up. The fact that Alexander has been best buds with Drysdale since kindergarten will give erie a decent start in trying to sway him here

Sounds like Carogioiello could be a steal. Virtually everything I’ve heard about him relates to his tremendous skill level and IQ. Unfortunately he’s probably too small right now and will need to get bigger. But if he can get bigger and develop those skills with size, he has a higher ceiling for later pick.

Other names I like: Elias Cohen, Aidan Campbell, and Ethan Ritchie. All appear to be good value picks for Erie. Watch out for Ritchie in particular. Erie has a big time knack for developing their defensemen. Hell it might be tops in the league when it comes to developing later round picks on the backend. I know Fergus for instance isn’t necessarily a star but when you draft him in the 8th round, that’s tremendous value.

EON

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 31, 2013
Raleigh, NC
I noticed Erie seemed to take a lot of undersized players yesterday. Could be an interesting strategy as their scouts may have seen some untapped skill and IQ that will come to the forefront if these players get bigger, stronger, and faster.

I'm excited about the Drysdale pick. I could see Alexander making a push for next season's roster as well. The rest will likely develop in lower leagues. Excited for next season already.

Reactions: ottersguy

NOA

Apr 17, 2015
I noticed Erie seemed to take a lot of undersized players yesterday. Could be an interesting strategy as their scouts may have seen some untapped skill and IQ that will come to the forefront if these players get bigger, stronger, and faster.

I'm excited about the Drysdale pick. I could see Alexander making a push for next season's roster as well. The rest will likely develop in lower leagues. Excited for next season already.
I would rather take a small guy with good skills and stats over a 6’2 guy with similar stats. Those bigger guys seem to fizzle out more because they are just dominating vs small kids in MM. the smaller kids eventually grow though. Love the strategy.

ZinErie

Nov 12, 2013

This is a league wide trend.

NOA

Apr 17, 2015
Erie announces the signing of Brendan Hoffman (7th rounder, 2017)

Rare to see a player a previous draft year player signed at this time of year.

Hoffman, an American, had a great OHL cup back in 2017. He’s listed at 6’2 and 185lbs so gives Erie some size upfront. He’s also a true right winger which Erie could use.
Can find much more on him with stats, etc. do remember many scouts saying it was tremendous value in 7th rounder. Good size, really competes on the boards, and has good hands/finish ability.

Hopefully this is a steal for Erie! Now let’s keep working on Schroeder and Alexander

Edit:
Some stats from playing without Jr. Canadians this year - 33g and 70pts in 42 games

buzzworthy

Jan 14, 2014
Good deal! When you say "let's keep working on Schroeder and Alexander" does that mean they aren't 100% committed? Thanks!

NOA

Apr 17, 2015
Good deal! When you say "let's keep working on Schroeder and Alexander" does that mean they aren't 100% committed? Thanks!
Neither are signed. Schroeder is an American that was drafted in the USHL. He has the chance to play there and go college. So he’s far from committed. He is part of the 2017 draft

Alexander is currently an Arizona St commit. He just committed to them in March. Brown has said he is going to push hard to sign him before 2018-19 season starts. Alexander has been best friends with Drysdale since 4/5 years old as they live just a few blocks away from each other. So that could help. But he’s committed to university. Schroeder isn’t but has USHL in front of him as an option.

NOA

Apr 17, 2015
Otters owner JW was at the Drysdale home for dinner with the Alexanders - JW doesn't live too far from either Drysdale or Alexander
Do you think Alexander wore the Erie jersey he was presented by JW?
I did not hear about this so don’t know if it is true.
And if it is true when it happened

Would be a big signing for Erie though. Huge signing. Without a 2nd rounder for 2 straight years, we need this type of signing.

NOA

Apr 17, 2015
Tough decision for Alexander's - even school route as its a distance. Rumor is another NCAA school closer is also in discussion

Drydale trying to persuade Alexander too
Drysdale immediately after Ryan was picked called him. Then his first interview with Erie media he said “priority number 1 is getting Ryan”
No doubt he will push for him to sign. And Dave Brown spoke on draft day saying they were in contact with him before the draft. Then he spoke again this week about their willingness to go “all in” on trying to get him here before the season starts. It’s clear Erie wants him and by using a 3rd rounder on him (especially given their draft situation in recent years) they feel like they have a good shot.
If the owner is visiting him at his home and Drysdale is pushing him, then there is at least some “interest” from Ryan. Brown said he planned on having Ryan visit Erie soon to get a better feel for the organization. Sounds like Erie is really pushing for it though.

NOA

Apr 17, 2015
What are your thoughts on the subsequent Otters picks after Alexander?
What type of players where the Otters targeting and eventually selected?

I like the Ethan Ritchie pick. Think he has a real good shot to be here next season. Erie got good value there.

Elias Cohen and Frankie Carogioiello are two smaller forwards to watch. Especially Frankie. From what I heard, he has all the skating/speed and skills you want but he will need to get bigger. He’s all over the ice though and a puck hog. Another guy that if he had those skills and was 2 inches taller, he would have been a top 30 pick. Erie has found a special skill with developing these guys. Whether it be Maxim Golod, Connor Brown, Kyle Maksmovich, Brett Neumann, Mike Cazzola. There is a long list of smaller forwards they draft later in the draft and seem to get the most out of. Frankie might be next on the list. The fact that they spent a 3rd on Frankie shows how much they value him going forward.

Overall a good draft if Alexander were to sign. Drysdale/Alexander and 1/2 other guys who would eventually make the team. Sounds solid to me. Alexander the wild card though

NOA

Apr 17, 2015
Nice signing. Getting Alexander and Schroeder to commit would be an A+ offseason.
Totally agree! So much more work to do to get both of those guys. Not sure which would be harder to get but would be nice to snag them

Would give Erie a 2001-2002 core as good as team in the league

Fowler
Sproule
Hoffman
Schroeder
Alexander
Import?

Drysdale
Kischnick

Include Duff, Timmermans, Henry, Beamish, Murphy, Golod, Gritz from the 2000s. Wow if they have that going into to this year then the future is verryyyy bright

EON

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 31, 2013
Raleigh, NC
Totally agree! So much more work to do to get both of those guys. Not sure which would be harder to get but would be nice to snag them

Would give Erie a 2001-2002 core as good as team in the league

Fowler
Sproule
Hoffman
Schroeder
Alexander
Import?

Drysdale
Kischnick

Include Duff, Timmermans, Henry, Beamish, Murphy, Golod, Gritz from the 2000s. Wow if they have that going into to this year then the future is verryyyy bright

Agreed, looks really nice. I hope they can snag a high end import as well. Their forwards could be pretty good next season.

Maksimovich-Fowler-Lodnia
Import-Gritz-Golod
Sproule-Patry-Yetman
Schroeder-Alexander-Hoffman
Mack

Would be fun to watch, even after they eventually move Lodnia.

On a side note, I'm all aboard the Jackson Bernard train. I think he's going to take Oberoi's spot next season as backup and Erie goes with Murphy as the starter. He had a terrific season despite being undersized (5'10" 161).

His stats:

GP - 39
32-2-1-4
Avg - 1.44
SP - 92.2%
11 Shutouts

He has connections to Erie as well, his father Mark Bernard once played in Erie with the Panthers and is now the GM of the Rockford Icehogs (AHL) where Raddysh plays and Maksimovich got an ATO.

Last edited:

NOA

Apr 17, 2015
Agreed, looks really nice. I hope they can snag a high end import as well. Their forwards could be pretty good next season.

Maksimovich-Fowler-Lodnia
Import-Gritz-Golod
Sproule-Patry-Yetman
Schroeder-Alexander-Hoffman
Mack

Would be fun to watch, even after they eventually move Lodnia.

On a side note, I'm all aboard the Jackson Bernard train. I think he's going to take Oberoi's spot next season as backup and Erie goes with Murphy as the starter. He had a terrific season despite being undersized (5'10" 161).

His stats:

GP - 39
32-2-1-4
Avg - 1.44
SP - 92.2%
11 Shutouts

He has connections to Erie as well, his father Mark Bernard once played in Erie with the Panthers and is now the GM of the Rockford Icehogs (AHL) where Raddysh plays and Maksimovich got an ATO.
If Erie signs import and even 1 of Schroeder/Alexander.. we are starting to get crowded with youth. And that’s a good thing. You still have Brendan Sellan who might be ready to compete for roster spot. And by next year Carogioiello, Cohen and Ritchie or others might be as well. It’s a good problem to have and few teams ever have it. But this is getting London territory if we were to sign all of Schroeder/Alexander/Import (still possible) and if Bernard signs. That’s a lot of 2000-2002 players and most seem to have good potential. I love it

OU812

Sep 11, 2017
Erie announces the signing of Brendan Hoffman (7th rounder, 2017)

Rare to see a player a previous draft year player signed at this time of year.

Hoffman, an American, had a great OHL cup back in 2017. He’s listed at 6’2 and 185lbs so gives Erie some size upfront. He’s also a true right winger which Erie could use.
Can find much more on him with stats, etc. do remember many scouts saying it was tremendous value in 7th rounder. Good size, really competes on the boards, and has good hands/finish ability.

Hopefully this is a steal for Erie! Now let’s keep working on Schroeder and Alexander

Edit:
Some stats from playing without Jr. Canadians this year - 33g and 70pts in 42 games

Interesting signing...because sorry, he was not even close to those numbers.

NOA

Apr 17, 2015
Interesting signing...because sorry, he was not even close to those numbers.
Those are the numbers posted on Erie’s website. So they are likely going to be accurate. Sorry to offend

OU812

Sep 11, 2017
Those are the numbers posted on Erie’s website. So they are likely going to be accurate. Sorry to offend

Not offended. They may be posted but they’re just not accurate. For instance team played 55 games. He missed a couple to injury, not 13.
He prob was leading points, just not those numbers.

NOA

Apr 17, 2015
Not offended. They may be posted but they’re just not accurate. For instance team played 55 games. He missed a couple to injury, not 13.
He prob was leading points, just not those numbers.
Does it really matter? I just posted what they had. I don’t personally read into stats too much anyways. It could have combined his numbers for other leagues. Not sure. But does it matter?
Still think it’s a good signing. The kid was highly regarded in his draft year. So at the very least it’s a solid signing

Reactions: barclayplager

OHL4Life

Sep 6, 2017
Does it really matter? I just posted what they had. I don’t personally read into stats too much anyways. It could have combined his numbers for other leagues. Not sure. But does it matter?
Still think it’s a good signing. The kid was highly regarded in his draft year. So at the very least it’s a solid signing

probably a dad of a kid on his team that is unhappy or bitter that his kid didnt get the same treatment. i doubt its worth your efforts

OU812

Sep 11, 2017
probably a dad of a kid on his team that is unhappy or bitter that his kid didnt get the same treatment. i doubt its worth your efforts

No. I always question stats when they get posted. They are too easy to fudge when My Hockey Rankings has games listed but the league does not post stats....and they are entered on elite prospects, but no one else from the team has stats listed

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->