Erie Otters 2018-19 Season Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

EON

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 31, 2013
Raleigh, NC
Looking forward to next season, it's a little hard to predict where Erie will be. It certainly won't be a contending season with very little left in the cupboard as far as draft picks goes. If I had to guess, I think this team will be middle of the pack for most of the season, then fall down into the 6-8 region after selling off at the deadline to recoup some assets. My best look at the roster right now:

Maksimovich-Lodnia-Raddysh
Girhiny-Poddubnyi-Fellows(OA)
Edwardson-2017 Import-Robinson
????-Sproule-????

Looking at 3 or 4 open forward spots. Possible options: LW Brenden Selland (2017 5th), RC Brendan Hoffman (2017 7th), RW Matthew Giannini (2017 U18 1st), LW Anthony Carraretto (2017 U18 2nd), LW Jayden Vaughan (2017 U18 4th), LC Evan Miller (2017 U18 5th), RC Joe Mack (2016 8th), RW Chad Yetman (2016 10th), LC Matthew Bazarin (2016 12th), LW Max Golod (2016 13th)

Fergus(OA)-Sambrook
Byrne-Headrick(OA)
Martin-Wainman
Duff-Timmermans

Murdaca
Oberoi

Traded/Released: Haydn Hopkins, Cameron Lizotte, Troy Timpano.

Another big question mark is the coaching staff. I expect Knoblauch gets an AHL head coaching job somewhere and Erie promotes BJ Adams to head coach, Wes Wolfe to associate, and hires a new assistant coach.

gensfan2k2

Dec 3, 2014
Congrats Erie on an amazing year! This Generals fan was cheering for you guys last night. The slight problem with the tournament was exposed in the interviews after the game when the Windsor captain said we were able to get everybody 100% healthy. Obviously when they hand out host cities they expect those teams to at the very least hit the third round of their league playoffs. I give Windsor full credit for playing to their full potential for the 4 Memorial Cup games but when you are playing against teams that have had to slug it out for league championships and play over 20 more games than Windsor then of course Windsor will be fresher.
Windsor isn't at fault for winning with the hand that was dealt them but it puts a lot of what ifs in the back of fans of London. Owen Sound for example minds.

Generally it doesnt play out like that in the Memorial cup though with most times the host team being strong enough to play for their league championship.

It just kinda sucks as Erie has been right there for a few years and this looked like their time. Display that OHL Championship Banner proudly as that reflects your season and playoff success. I was so hoping Cirelli could bang that big goal in again late.

Again congrats Erie, enjoyed watching your Great team.

Beast Mowed

Apr 18, 2015
Erie, Pa
Thoughts on Knoblauch returning?

I'm thinking he more than likely moves on but without a Memorial Cup, how is his legacy in Junior viewed? They were saying Florida or Buffalo are possibilities but after reading another thread it looks like Florida might be out. Hate to lose him but It's not like he can't "move up" & possibly come back.

Beast Mowed

Apr 18, 2015
Erie, Pa
After the last 4 years, with or without Knoblauch players from the states may look at Erie a little better & actually report.

7D442

Apr 27, 2015
ERIE PA
After the last 4 years, with or without Knoblauch players from the states may look at Erie a little better & actually report.

There should be no question that ERIE should be-would be- and IS the top US based OHL designation IMO, and one of the better league destinations for young and upcoming US born and raised talent...I base this on current ownership of the team, recent / past success, coaching, top ranked schooling programs,geographic location, and current/past players to play here-such as but not limited too- McDavid,Strome, Cerelli, Boyes,Rupp,Burakovsky,Brown-etc..Those are big time players to have played here and come through this program...And is far enough away , yet close enough for States such Min-Michigan-Ny-Ill-MASS-etc to have your family support and still be in the States.. Also look at the developement of Bura,Cernak, and the player PODDUBNYI is becoming w import success as well...

buzzworthy

Jan 14, 2014
Gens fan, you hit the nail on the head. In a 7 game series against Windsor one can only guess how Erie would have done, having been fresh and rested. Certainly, London and OS were better teams than Windsor, based on standings and playoff results. And, to me and other Erie fans, winning the OHL title on home ice, and the thrilling over time win against the Knights far outweighed a short tournament that is overrated and under attended. I would have loved to play the Spits in the 2nd round, but it was not to happen. And so it goes. I don't think it will affect Knoblauch or the Otters one bit. As 7D442 stated, it has made Erie a desired destination for American kids or any players who value a great organization with passionate fans.

ohloutsider

Jan 13, 2016
Rock & Hardplace
Erie league champs, conference champs, division champs - you guys have had some great years with real special teams. Met some great Erie fans at your games and they were loud. Not easy today I'm sure but over the long haul your team has been the best in the league for a few years. Be very proud of what your team has accomplished and I wish you continued success in Erie.

ME16510

Jan 8, 2017
Traded/Released: Haydn Hopkins, Cameron Lizotte, Troy Timpano.

Another big question mark is the coaching staff. I expect Knoblauch gets an AHL head coaching job somewhere and Erie promotes BJ Adams to head coach, Wes Wolfe to associate, and hires a new assistant coach.

Definitely agree with Hopkins and Timpano being gone next season, but I somewhat question Lizotte being traded. Assuming we're going to be a bottom dweller, it might make sense financially to hold onto him in order to keep attendance up since he's become a fan favorite.

I think Headrick would be more likely to get traded considering it appeared that he really only came here because we looked to be memorial cup contenders. We're also pretty deep at defense and it seems they'd rather have Lizotte play up front than their other D-men.

In his post game interview, Knoblauch seemed like he wasn't in a rush to go anywhere, but fresh after losing the memorial cup the feeling of "unfinished business" is pretty strong. That and obviously he wasn't going to say he was ready to get out of Erie. I wouldn't be surprised to see him back for another season. We'll see.

EpicOtters

Nov 26, 2013
The Spits played a hell of a week. Deserved the Memorial Cup, regardless of situation. They won when they needed to. Credit to their players and coaching staff.

Will be fun to lift 4 out of the possible 5 banners in the arena come October. Until then, we can start speculating on this upcoming year's roster.

Last edited by a moderator:

EpicOtters

Nov 26, 2013
Players gone (overagers, moving up to AHL/NHL):
  • Darren Raddysh (OA, unclaimed)
  • Kyle Pettit (OA, Utica Comets)
  • Warren Foegele (OA, Charlotte Checkers, might crack Hurricanes)
  • Dylan Strome (Arizona Coyotes)
  • Anthony Cirelli (Syracuse Crunch, might crack Lightning)
  • Erik Cernak (Syracuse Crunch)
  • Alex DeBrincat (Rockford IceHogs)

Potential overagers
  • Troy Timpano
  • T.J. Fergus
  • Owen Headrick
  • Cam Lizotte
  • Patrick Fellows
  • Haydn Hopkins

Full returning roster (not including releases due to overager restrictions)
  • Mitchell Byrne (D)
  • Ryan Martin (D)
  • Jordan Sambrook (D)
  • Josh Wainman (D)
  • T.J. Fergus (D)
  • Owen Headrick (D)
  • Cam Lizotte (D)
  • Christian Girhiny (LW)
  • Carson Edwardson (C)
  • Kyle Maksimovich (LW)
  • Taylor Raddysh (RW)
  • Patrick Fellows (LW)
  • Ivan Lodnia (C)
  • Gera Poddubnyi (C)
  • Haydn Hopkins (C)
  • Cade Robinson (C)
  • Troy Timpano (G)
  • Joe Murdaca (G)

In my opinion, in terms of overagers, I think we'll keep Fergus, Headrick and Fellows. Likely to trade Timpano and maybe Lizotte (though suitors might be limited). Hopkins will likely be released.

Depending on the situation, we have some nice trade bait in Raddysh, Mak, and Lodnia if we are looking at a seller year, which I can't see us not doing to build the cabinet back up.

EpicOtters

Nov 26, 2013
In terms of starting roster for 2017 opening night, I see the following (without any sort of camp numbers or preseason outings)

Fellows-Poddubnyi-Sproule
Girhiny-Edwardson-Hoffmann
Sellan-Robinson-Shimizu

Fergus-Headrick
Sambrook-Byrne
Martin-Wainman
Duff-Timmermans

Murdaca
Oberoi

aresknights

Dec 27, 2009
london
In terms of starting roster for 2017 opening night, I see the following (without any sort of camp numbers or preseason outings)

Sellan-Robinson-Shimizu

Fergus-Headrick
Sambrook-Byrne
Martin-Wainman
Duff-Timmermans

Murdaca
Oberoi

Hoffman is a good kid. Hope he makes it in Erie next year or year after.

OHLTG

Nov 18, 2008
behind lens, Ontario
First, I come in peace :laugh:

Just wanted to say congrats to Erie for an incredible season. The fact that you put together a roster that was able to not only grow together, but become one of the elite in the CHL, is outstanding. Erie quickly became one of my personal favourites to watch when I wanted to see high-octane offence. If Windsor hadn't won the Cup, I was hoping Erie would take it.

Hold your heads high and be proud of what your team accomplished this season. I look forward to coming back to Erie next season... I hope!

EON

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 31, 2013
Raleigh, NC
Definitely agree with Hopkins and Timpano being gone next season, but I somewhat question Lizotte being traded. Assuming we're going to be a bottom dweller, it might make sense financially to hold onto him in order to keep attendance up since he's become a fan favorite.

I think Headrick would be more likely to get traded considering it appeared that he really only came here because we looked to be memorial cup contenders. We're also pretty deep at defense and it seems they'd rather have Lizotte play up front than their other D-men.

In his post game interview, Knoblauch seemed like he wasn't in a rush to go anywhere, but fresh after losing the memorial cup the feeling of "unfinished business" is pretty strong. That and obviously he wasn't going to say he was ready to get out of Erie. I wouldn't be surprised to see him back for another season. We'll see.

I don't think they should bring Lizotte back just because he's a fan favorite. Dave Brown should make his moves based upon what he thinks is best for the team. I like Lizotte but he's not worth an OA spot in my view.

I think there is incentive for Headrick to return next season. He will get a lot more playing time with Cernak and Raddysh gone. He can use that to improve and possibly get looks from pro teams. Erie could move him at the deadline to a contender.

Right after the game I'm sure Knoblauch was disappointed in coming up short but ultimately they won an OHL Championship and there is no way they can put together a Memorial Cup contending team next season. The time is right for him to move on.

Sellan-Robinson-Shimizu

Fergus-Headrick
Sambrook-Byrne
Martin-Wainman
Duff-Timmermans

Murdaca
Oberoi

I like the chemistry Girhiny/Fellows showed together and I'm not sure Sproule will be ready right away for a top 6 role. You also have to factor in the import pick which will likely be a forward as Erie has 8 signed dmen returning.

Wow, that was a quick "cleanup". Thanks EON for bringing sanity to this thread.

OHL fans seem to get riled up a little more than other fanbases. I love hockey, don't get me wrong, but sometimes fans can take things a little too seriously. This is just ultimately a sport being played by teenagers/young men. There's no need for either side to demean the other. Windsor fans can be proud of their team putting together a great effort to win the Memorial Cup. Erie fans should be proud of what they accomplished over the course of this season (and the past three).

IcemanTBI

Apr 19, 2004
Land of Ice

Maybe trade him to the Hounds next year. He is a local kid after all. And we should be in good shape. Plus we need to fill an OA spot.

Also, congrats on a great season. Was pulling for Erie in the memorial cup. Really dissapointed a team that didnt get out of the first round of the playoffs won it. Windsor was rested, while you were going through three more rounds in the playoffs. It showed last night. Windsor was fresher and had everyone back from injury. But that's the way it is.

Beast Mowed

Apr 18, 2015
Erie, Pa
EON, Agreed, I almost got roped in (as you probably saw....).

Just from what was posted so far, I'm not as worried about a repeat of the 2002-2003 season. We will have to see what shakes out. I think someone mentioned 49 days or so until the "start" of next season?

count35

Nov 26, 2014
Soo
EON, Agreed, I almost got roped in (as you probably saw....).

Just from what was posted so far, I'm not as worried about a repeat of the 2002-2003 season. We will have to see what shakes out. I think someone mentioned 49 days or so until the "start" of next season?

Yikes!!!! That's getting crazy isn't it? Don't get me wrong i LOVE hockey but come on!! I've always thought they should cut out enough of the regular/pre-season to cut it down by at least a month!

Congrats by the way on an amazing season! I know it hurts, especially losing that way but it sure was a fun ride while it lasted!

EpicOtters

Nov 26, 2013
I like the chemistry Girhiny/Fellows showed together and I'm not sure Sproule will be ready right away for a top 6 role. You also have to factor in the import pick which will likely be a forward as Erie has 8 signed dmen returning.

That's very true. Both Fellows and Girhiny both showed another gear in the Memorial Cup that I didn't know that they had in them.

I definitely wouldn't mind a Girhiny-Poddubnyi-Fellows if one of them swings to RW (which, to me with both having a left-hand shot I wouldn't mind).

With that, I wouldn't mind seeing:

Girhiny-Poddubnyi-Fellows
Import-Edwardson-Sproule
Sellan-Robinson-Hoffman

That's still rotating Sproule from his natural C position to a winger, but offensively we are "loaded" with returning centers.

I'm curious to see how camps and preseason play out. Sproule is smaller in size right now (I believe we have had someone who was small who played out of his mind before? :laugh:) but the reviews I've read on Hoffman have been good and he is already at 6'1 and from what I hear is very physical.

While the prospect of the 2017-18 season isn't one of a championship, it will be fun to see what happens. I'm curious to see how a true rebuild happens (and how long we'll be out of top contention) with Dave Brown running the show now, not Sherry.

I don't see us being bottom dwellers the way we have in the past. I could see us still making a 7th or 8th seed run at the playoffs depending on how the offense shakes out.

Crazy to think that our offense would also be pretty secured down if we didn't send out McShane, but then again we wouldn't have a championship (most likely) if we didn't.

Beast Mowed

Apr 18, 2015
Erie, Pa
No disrespect to Windsor, it worked out well for them & they have a good team. My analogy of the Memorial Cup. The marathon runner ran into a sprinter in the last 50 yards that came out of the crowd & still almost got the win. Brilliant on them, they earned the win.

Would it be wise to send Timpano &/or Murdaca to goalie school this summer, like they did with Mcwilliams? 2 hot goalies would get you very deep in the playoffs, 1 would actually do it, but 2? WOW If not, 1 of them would be great trade bait near the deadline.

Buttsy

Jul 28, 2015
London
Would it be wise to send Timpano &/or Murdaca to goalie school this summer, like they did with Mcwilliams? 2 hot goalies would get you very deep in the playoffs, 1 would actually do it, but 2? WOW If not, 1 of them would be great trade bait near the deadline.

There may be a market for Murdaca but I can't see a contender trading for Timpano as a solution to their goalie woes? Maybe as a backup but what would that net you? Timpano was not "bad" he just didn't do enough to show he was a starter on a team wanting to win it all IMO anyway.

EON

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 31, 2013
Raleigh, NC
There may be a market for Murdaca but I can't see a contender trading for Timpano as a solution to their goalie woes? Maybe as a backup but what would that net you? Timpano was not "bad" he just didn't do enough to show he was a starter on a team wanting to win it all IMO anyway.

I think a contender might take a chance. He'd probably only cost a mid round pick. He was terrific in the first half of the season, his play went downhill after his battle with pneumonia. I think with an offseason of training he could recapture his form and be a helpful asset.

It just makes more sense for Erie to move Timpano anyways. They are better off using their OA spots on skaters with how many guys are moving on.

Buttsy

Jul 28, 2015
London
I think a contender might take a chance. He'd probably only cost a mid round pick.

Realistic return and perhaps he may have value as a backup to a contender at that rate. However as pointed out he will be an overager and not so sure I would spend one of mine on a backup question mark? When you look at his overall body of work in the playoffs, considering in the territorial play and shots against we're always so heavily slanted in favorite of Erie over their opponents he really was "not the best". 20-25 shots against giving up 3-4 goals seemed to be his "stik" so to speak.

Obviously a good kid the coach loved him (?) but not my cup of tea......

EpicOtters

Nov 26, 2013
Reconsidering my stances (and projections) after now I'm hearing swirls that Murdaca is going to be gone before next season.

From various sources I have heard that Murdaca basically signed his own trade papers. Earlier on in the season he had some things happen which lost him favor with the coaches. Apparently similar things happened up in Windsor during the Memorial Cup. Not sure the specifics of what exactly he did (heard various), but in my opinion, he's the one out.

Dave Brown confirmed to Fernandez (Tweet) that either Timpano or Murdaca were going to be moved to make a spot for Anand Oberoi.

I liked Murdaca, but if discipline is the problem, I can see why he would be moved.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad