Erie Otters 2018-19 Season Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

7D442

Apr 27, 2015
ERIE PA
saw the end of that game at the Arena after the Bayhawks game..Not too shaby when they made it 4-3 until like 2 and 1/2 minutes to go...Facts are with 9-10 true rookies , your best offensive player out in Lodnia,and some weak ones let in i will take it..Not so sure about pulling OBI at the end there in games where you need 2 to just tie..With last years lineup maybe we could try that..I get the extra attacker, I get work on puck possession , i would rather see a 5-3 L vs 6-3 to those guys but thats just me..

Realistically we are about where some of us expected..3 games to go and already kind of looking forward to next year and where a year of progression will possibly take us...Maybe a 7 or 8 seed and get to the first round of PO's???Time will tell

NOA

Apr 17, 2015
saw the end of that game at the Arena after the Bayhawks game..Not too shaby when they made it 4-3 until like 2 and 1/2 minutes to go...Facts are with 9-10 true rookies , your best offensive player out in Lodnia,and some weak ones let in i will take it..Not so sure about pulling OBI at the end there in games where you need 2 to just tie..With last years lineup maybe we could try that..I get the extra attacker, I get work on puck possession , i would rather see a 5-3 L vs 6-3 to those guys but thats just me..

Realistically we are about where some of us expected..3 games to go and already kind of looking forward to next year and where a year of progression will possibly take us...Maybe a 7 or 8 seed and get to the first round of PO's???Time will tell
Yep already looking at next year. Certainly possible if guys develop. I think we should realistically expect 25-30 wins next year. They will still be young and will likely trade off more players but guys like Golod, Fowler, Murphy, Duff, etc should be better. That’s the progression I want to see. Especially because I don’t think erie will trade both of Lodnia/Mak before January. Either both or 1 will be around for 30-35 games. Anything less with wins it will likely mean guys didn’t develop. Anything more and it will be awesome. Don’t forget we will land a top 12 Import pick this year and could sign someone like Schroeder. If those 2 guys are signed and can be impact players, then Erie should be much more competitive

NOA

Apr 17, 2015
Wow Fowler! Kid is already looking like a future star. Again, to all the Erie people or others who posted on this thread in January saying that his numbers were awful in SOO and Erie can’t afford to fumble the Raddysh trade.. I think you can start turning around your opinion. 9 goals and 17 points in 26 games with Erie. The kid is 16 years old and playing on a bottom level team. But he is producing. Producing more than the other 16 year old forwards traded. So far so good. Might have found a star. Hit on the first rounder in April and we could have a 1/2 forward firepower punch for the next 2-3 years.

buzzworthy

Jan 14, 2014
Yep, Fowler is the real deal. He has a real competitive side with a bit if nasty thrown in. That was one hell of a game. On another note, Jim Waters and the whole management team were talking to a kid with a Toronto Marlboros jacket. Mom, Dad, and the kid were given the VIP tour. I tried google him, but couldn't figure out who he was. It reminded me of the scene some 6 years ago when Connor McDavid and his parents stood at the same spot at the end of the rink while Bassin sold #97 on Erie.

NOA

Apr 17, 2015
Yep, Fowler is the real deal. He has a real competitive side with a bit if nasty thrown in. That was one hell of a game. On another note, Jim Waters and the whole management team were talking to a kid with a Toronto Marlboros jacket. Mom, Dad, and the kid were given the VIP tour. I tried google him, but couldn't figure out who he was. It reminded me of the scene some 6 years ago when Connor McDavid and his parents stood at the same spot at the end of the rink while Bassin sold #97 on Erie.
Would make sense if it was Drysdale given where Erie is drafting. But also possible that it’s a player that isn’t going to be drafted until the mid/later rounds. Who knows.

I prefer Erie takes a forward with their 1st round pick.
Currently we have Timmermans, Duff, Beamish, Henry, Kischnick all signed as 2000-2001s. Duff and Timmermans have good upside. We shall see with Henry, Beamish and Kischnick.

7D442

Apr 27, 2015
ERIE PA
Had heard that Drysdale and family would be coming to the states and checking out various organizations and schools...I would think we would one of the top destinations in the league and especially as far as US based teams goes ..Great local options anywhere from FAIRVIEW to ERIE -public to private there are great options here ..I believe McDavid went to McDowell- another good option ..

I believe some good Frontline options from the Marlboros in the draft as well -depends what management sees as the best option for our first pick

Reactions: nelli27

ZinErie

Nov 12, 2013
Fun game last night. Rumor that Byfield and family were in attendance last night. Must have been started by someone who saw Drysdale. Looking forward to the draft. We have NO shot at Byfield, but will get a very talented player at 3 (or more likely 4). We need a forward more than a defenseman, but if a D is the most talented player on the board you take him.

7D442

Apr 27, 2015
ERIE PA
Byfield doesnt play for Toronto Marlboros so he wouldnt have been wearing their jeresy or jacket..Drysdale does..could have been him or other prospects

NOA

Apr 17, 2015
Had heard that Drysdale and family would be coming to the states and checking out various organizations and schools...I would think we would one of the top destinations in the league and especially as far as US based teams goes ..Great local options anywhere from FAIRVIEW to ERIE -public to private there are great options here ..I believe McDavid went to McDowell- another good option ..

I believe some good Frontline options from the Marlboros in the draft as well -depends what management sees as the best option for our first pick
I believe the Otters organization has a strong relationship with McDowell. A good public school in nice area of Millcreek. That’s where the players go. From what I understand, if the players want another option that Erie has a relationship with Cathedral Prep as very nice private school option. The only other school in the area that would be better academically would be Collegiate Academy. But Prep and McDowell are great institutions.

Who knows what erie does with the draft. I agree you take “best available” but it’s likelt that where Erie picks at 3/4 overall that there will be 3/4 guys that you can you justify as “best available”
It’s all subjective based on team needs, etc. I have confidence that Brown and company will draft the best option when considering all factors

NOA

Apr 17, 2015
#OHL Most points by rookies (by team):
1) @SpiritHockey - 151
2) @OHLBarrieColts - 136
3) @Ottawa67sHockey - 128
4) @ErieOtters - 127
5) @OHLHoundPower - 124
6) @Sudbury_Wolves - 114
7) @SpitsHockey - 95
8) @Storm_City - 92

Not bad for Erie. Honestly not bad. Sproule got off to a really slow start. And Fowler was given little chance in SSM and also started slow. But happy to see we did pretty good in this catergory with 2000-2001 rookies

EON

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 31, 2013
Raleigh, NC
And the 2017-18 season comes to an end. Erie finishes 23-35-7-3 for 56 points. 220 GF, 270 GA. -50 GD isn't too bad compared to the 2011-12 and 2012-13 seasons that kick started the 4 year run.

Overall pleased with this season. They're going to pick 4th overall and 12th in the CHL Import Draft, both valuable picks, they unloaded Raddysh/Sambrook to add a great young player in Fowler and a plethora of picks, and they stayed competitive.

Looking to next season, the team is shaping up well. The biggest hole imo is going to fill Headrick's spot on D who was a mainstay, especially after trading Sambrook.

Up front, it looks like Patry is here to stay and play C. I think they'll move Poddubnyi for a pick or two and take a 2001 born forward with the 12th overall pick. From the 2017 draft, it would be great if they can add Brendan Hoffman and Kyle Schroeder. Michael Miele is a potential wildcard. Hopefully Maksimovich is back for his OA season and captains the team. I think Girhiny will also return as an OA, he's a viable 2nd/3rd line winger. My rough estimate at the forwards:

Maksimovich(OA)-Fowler-Lodnia
Golod-Gritz-Girhiny(OA)
Sproule-Patry-Yetman
Schroeder-Import-Hoffman
Mack, Miele?

On defense, the rumor is that Jamie Drysdale (RD, ranked as high as #2 overall in the 2018 draft) is coming to Erie. He's young but that helps fill the RD void. Outside of him, Erie has RD Brendan Kischnick signed, he will probably be capable of playing some minutes next season. I think I may move Wainman to make room on the left side if they are drafting Drysdale.

Martin-Timmermans
Beamish-Kischnick
Duff-Drysdale
Henry

In net it's fairly straight forward as barring any surprises, the duo of Oberoi-Murphy should return. Both have been good in spurts, I think Murphy has the higher potential and hopefully he takes a step forward next season. The only potential wildcard is 2017 15th round pick Jackson Bernard, who is undersized but has put up good numbers.

Should be a fun offseason with the team picking high in the draft for the first time in 5 years.

buzzworthy

Jan 14, 2014
EON, after talking to many long time Otter's fans, I heard nothing but compliments on their play this year. I have seen some things from this team that have been lacking since I began to watch in 2001. That would be tenacious stick work, hustle, and a certain swagger/nasty side to a few of the kids. I think that this will make us a very difficult team to play against next season. I do believe that Drysdale will be an Otter, G-Pod will be gone, and I think that Lodnia will be gone very soon. I am not so sure about Girhiny returning either. As far as goaltending, I am high in hopes that both of the boys work very hard this summer to improve. Both had some nice games, followed by some real stinkers. I attribute that to inexperience. Finally, I think we may be better next year than many believe. That Fowler kid is something else. I look for a big, big year from him. Golod will improve, and both Duff and Martin are very, very good defensemen. Timmermans has improved a lot. He plays a big game for a smaller kid. It will be fun next year.

Reactions: nelli27

NOA

Apr 17, 2015
Your assessments are always great EON. Not sure how the development will go but a lot of guys with some nice potential

My take on the outlook
At least to start-

Locks on offense
Lodnia
Maksimovich
Fowler
Golod
Gritz
Sproule
Patry/Podd
Import
2018 1st rounder
Mack
Yetman

I think Girhiny will have to earn a spot, especially if guys really develop and 2017 players are signed.

Potential players from 2017
Schroeder
Hoffman
Miele
Sellan
Shimizu

At least 1 of these guys will make it. And probably 2 if they are all willing and wanting to sign. Schroeder has the most potential imo. If we signed Schroeder and he has the potential I think he has, I’m okay with holding onto Maksimovich all season to lead the team which should have playoff expectations and potential. Lodnia must be moved at some point and as a signed NHL player, he could fetch a 2001.

Have to imagine Erie picks a forward in round 1. And likely a center. The defense is much more crowded and adding a star forward to this team is important.

Locks on defense
Martin
Wainman
Beamish
Duff
Timmermans
Henry
Kischnick

2017 players have some potential on the backend too. Erie has thrived at developing these later picks on the backend. So expect 1 of these 3 to be roster worthy and maybe with some real noticeable potential

Dobson (6’2 195lbs)
Cooper (5’9 176lbs)
Gillard (6’2 183lbs)

This is part of why I don’t see Erie taking a defender in round 1. Already 7 guys signed and 3 guys developing in the system. We will however take a defender with at least one of our 2 second rounders. From what I read and (I can’t remember but I’m pretty darn certain it was cooper) has OHL written all over him. I believe it was Cooper based on the size. He will need to get stronger. What I had read was he is smooth as heck with the puck and has tremendous balance and agility. Being 5’9 helped him slip in draft. But if that’s the case, someone like that who adds an inch and gains some muscle, probably makes the team. Puck movers are so valuable.

Murphy/Oberoi will battle for net. Pulling for Murphy to win it as he’s the younger one. Oberoi needs to get thicker. Bernard will be given a shot but being undersized he’s really going to have to stand out to make team

Last edited:

Savard18

Feb 10, 2015
Flint, MI
Byfield was in Flint just awhile back and it's been mentioned locally and in Ontario that he would like to be in Flint. His best friend's older brother is on the team and he knows HC Ouhlahen. Apparently they're all from the same neighborhood in Ontario. IF Sudbury were to pass on him, Flint will draft him and he'll report. As far as Drysdale goes, much of what I've seen has had him ranked as the the #2 prospect. Flint has little need for a D, he's apparently leaning towards the NCAA and I've heard nothing to suggest he'd change that to be in Flint. I would love to see him dragged away from the NCAA by Erie. If he was there checking the place out, that's a good sign for you guys. You do have a recent history of attracting top talent.

NOA

Apr 17, 2015
I did not hear the Drysdale rumors personally. But if true- yes I see them unloading Wainman. 1999. An age thing. Got to give younger guys the ice.

I really push for this team to do 4 key things

1) sign a legit import pick. They need to target a 2001. If we are getting Drysdale then I’m certain erie will go forward in import. Bring in a 2000 that we can have for 2-3 years

2) go hard after Schroeder/Hoffman. I’ve seen Schroeder play and I’m telling you the kid has big potential in a league like this. Signing him would also make the Drysdale move make a ton of sense

3) move lodnia early rather than later. They will be crowded up front if 2017 picks start popping up. And the earlier we move him the more likely it is imo that we get a 2001 forward for him which I would love to target. But we could even swap him for picks and a decent 1998 OA to compliment Mak

4) make the right decision with Patry/Podd. Only can keep one. I’m behind the idea of keeping the younger Patry but what’s his development/potential going to be? And will he be around for 2/3 more years?

No doubt this team bonded down the stretch. They look to be becoming really close away from the ice which is crucial to long term success. And their exit interviews sounded great. Fowler and Sproule noted that this group is going to be special if they work hard and “avoid the partying”
Fellows the veteran noted how close they became and the rookies development. Also told us fans to stay with this group - they will be special one day.
I agree Buzz, I think we can much better. Crucial for guys like Murphy, Duff, Golod to develop

NOA

Apr 17, 2015
Byfield was in Flint just awhile back and it's been mentioned locally and in Ontario that he would like to be in Flint. His best friend's older brother is on the team and he knows HC Ouhlahen. Apparently they're all from the same neighborhood in Ontario. IF Sudbury were to pass on him, Flint will draft him and he'll report. As far as Drysdale goes, much of what I've seen has had him ranked as the the #2 prospect. Flint has little need for a D, he's apparently leaning towards the NCAA and I've heard nothing to suggest he'd change that to be in Flint. I would love to see him dragged away from the NCAA by Erie. If he was there checking the place out, that's a good sign for you guys. You do have a recent history of attracting top talent.
Sudbury is not passing on him. I think these rumors are foolish tbh. Imo byfield knows how special he is. He knows he can be part of the solution and I think that intrigues him. He’s a special player. And Sudbury, though I think is a mess as an organization for the last few decades (worse than even Erie got) has a lot of youth. They can be good. And byfield will attract more talent. And maybe a top tier coach - like Knoblauch.

I’m sure he wasn’t pulling for flint to get 1 though. They are a much more stable franchise imo. And they have more potential probably. Flint will still get a top player at 2

He’s going there. It then becomes where does Drysdale go. The gap between 1 and 2 is wide. That’s why byfield will go 1. Sudbury can’t pass on that. The gap between 2 and like 6/7 is not that wide at all. Slivers separate them. All personal choice for teams really and that means players have more say. So EON is accurate in saying that if Drysdale wants Erie, he will easily slip to 4 because no point in other teams taking him when they can look elsewhere and find similar talen that will report and wants to be with their franchise.

Imo if Drysdale slips to 4 it’s because Erie and him had personal agreement

Reactions: the dog

Savard18

Feb 10, 2015
Flint, MI
Sudbury is not passing on him. I think these rumors are foolish tbh. Imo byfield knows how special he is. He knows he can be part of the solution and I think that intrigues him. He’s a special player. And Sudbury, though I think is a mess as an organization for the last few decades (worse than even Erie got) has a lot of youth. They can be good. And byfield will attract more talent. And maybe a top tier coach - like Knoblauch.

I’m sure he wasn’t pulling for flint to get 1 though. They are a much more stable franchise imo. And they have more potential probably. Flint will still get a top player at 2

He’s going there. It then becomes where does Drysdale go. The gap between 1 and 2 is wide. That’s why byfield will go 1. Sudbury can’t pass on that. The gap between 2 and like 6/7 is not that wide at all. Slivers separate them. All personal choice for teams really and that means players have more say. So EON is accurate in saying that if Drysdale wants Erie, he will easily slip to 4 because no point in other teams taking him when they can look elsewhere and find similar talen that will report and wants to be with their franchise.

Imo if Drysdale slips to 4 it’s because Erie and him had personal agreement
That's why I capped out....IF....Sudbury were to pass on him. Just pointing out 2 is as far as he would fall and it probably won't be that far. The Drysdale to NCAA talk has been around for months and months now. If I'm a 15yo kid looking at organizations, Erie is in there, and it's clearly the top of the 4 non playoff teams. I could easily see him slipping to the Otters at 4 and reporting. I think there's potential to get on the right track as far as wins and losses and organization/attendance/development wise for Sudbury, Peterborough and obviously Flint but Erie is already there. They're rebuilding right now and still a bit thin on picks but they're there as far as organizations go. I'd be thrilled to see him drop his NCAA thoughts and put on an Otters sweater.

buzzworthy

Jan 14, 2014
K-Mak has a tryout with the AHL Rockford Icehogs. He is a great kid, and he plays every game like it is his last. Also, K. Henry is becoming quite the fighter. He is a pretty tough nut. I hadn't seen a fight like that in awhile against a big kid from Guelph. I would have given a slight edge to Henry. For a younger player, he is doing pretty well.

jmkrangers

Aug 28, 2012
I've always thought it would be fun though to fill out some sort of CHL playoff bracket but since I've never really found a good way to do it online, I decided to try creating my own for this year. Although it's a bit complicated and not the most user-friendly, there's step-by-step instructions on the website that should help. So, even though the Otters aren't in it this year, if want to give it a try go to: memorialcupbracket.weebly.com

EON

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 31, 2013
Raleigh, NC
I'm by no means saying it's a certainty Drysdale comes to Erie, but I'm 99% sure he was visiting Erie last week and there have been rumors that Brown said he was their guy, so we'll see what happens.

I think it's a good strategy to get a talented young RD to help fill the gaps left by Headrick and Sambrook. If they added Drysdale, Schroeder, Hoffman, and a 2000 or 2001 import forward it would be a very successful offseason.

buzzworthy

Jan 14, 2014
EON, you are 1% off. He was in Erie. I saw him with Jim Waters and Dave Brown. As a matter of fact, Dave brought the whole family down from Canada. We park near the office, and I saw this with my own eyes. Judging from his reactions, along with his mom and dad, he is as close to in the bag as you can get.

brown

nelli27

May 21, 2011
London, Ontario
EON, you are 1% off. He was in Erie. I saw him with Jim Waters and Dave Brown. As a matter of fact, Dave brought the whole family down from Canada. We park near the office, and I saw this with my own eyes. Judging from his reactions, along with his mom and dad, he is as close to in the bag as you can get.

That's good news, and not surprising as Erie has become an attractive destination.
Don't forget what I mentioned before! Watch out for Timmermans--although an undersized d-man, I think you will be pleasantly surprised at how he progresses. Looks like the d-core will be set for the next few years.

brown

Reactions: zman77

NOA

Apr 17, 2015
I'm by no means saying it's a certainty Drysdale comes to Erie, but I'm 99% sure he was visiting Erie last week and there have been rumors that Brown said he was their guy, so we'll see what happens.

I think it's a good strategy to get a talented young RD to help fill the gaps left by Headrick and Sambrook. If they added Drysdale, Schroeder, Hoffman, and a 2000 or 2001 import forward it would be a very successful offseason.
I don’t particularly love the idea. Imo star forwards get you further than star defensemen. London vs Erie last year a prime example. It’s the forwards that drive the league. We all know you are more likely to find and develop a great DMan in later rounds than a forward

Doesn’t mean I’m against Drysdale as a player. He sounds phenomenal. But I would rather get a forward personally. Adding a star foward with Fowler is crucial. I suppose the import draft is an option but that is a crapshoot when it comes to guys reporting. Certainly if Brown and the staff feel good about signing Schroeder and Hoffman, then the Drysdale pick makes more sense. But I won’t really love the pick unless we find a way to bring in that impact younger forward - only options would than be import draft and maybe Schroeder.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->