Erie Otters 2018-19 Season Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

J Simmons

Feb 11, 2018
Forgot to add this yesterday.....
Hoffmann is now around 6’2-6’3 190-200 and apparently has gained tons of skating
Sellan is also labelled as a proficient scorer in his league. Murphy is showing great potential, enough so that I think a breakout season for him is due in the next 1-2 years. Oberoi has solid value as a consistent backup... Sproule also seems to be due for a good season, seeing as Golod is having his. Regardless, for a team that has gone through as much as Erie they are holding up very well.

EON

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 31, 2013
Raleigh, NC
Murphy has been a pleasant surprise, he honestly wasn't even on my radar and now he looks like he could be the Otters go-to guy for the next 2 years.

wolfpack99

Oct 9, 2014
Hey otters fans going down this weekend for 2 games what his good place to eat and Watch olympics thanks

buzzworthy

Jan 14, 2014
My favorite place (and there are many) is The Public House on 26th Street. It is an 8 or 9 mile drive from downtown, but worth the trip. Connor McDavid ate there often, I was told. We live 115 miles from Erie, and eat there all the time. Friendly, great beer selection, and the best pizza I have ever had. However, try to get to the Federal Hill Smokehouse on lower Peach on Saturday. If you like BBQ, you won't be disappointed. Get there early because they sell out fast, and then they close. There are many great places near EIA to eat too.

Reactions: wolfpack99

NOA

Apr 17, 2015
So many options downtown (near arena). I would imagine most will be showing Olympics if they have plenty of televisions. There are several more options that are on Peach Street or the west side of town. I guess it just depends on your taste in food, budget, and location. I love Odis 12 for wings. Have gone to Primanti Brothers for football games - would imagine they show olympics there - and they have great sandwiches but it’s on upper peach street. I like Pick 6 Tap House as well.

Reactions: wolfpack99

buzzworthy

Jan 14, 2014
Two great games by the Otters this weekend. Big pushback on Sunday. I cannot remember an Otter's team working this hard before. I can only imagine how good they will be in 2 years. They already have some swagger. That is unusual for a group of youngsters.

7D442

Apr 27, 2015
ERIE PA
agreed!!! they really played well and are a fun team to watch -but if you up on the Knights by 2 goals you need to find a find a way to maintain that one !! ....thats been the only real downfall of this first year of the future build..we could potentially have had about 10 more wins if it was not for the "3rd period blues.."but on the other hand a top 3 pick will work out well too.We can play with anyone for 2 periods( except SSM), but man once the 3rd period starts...:huh:

4-3 ERIE tonight-GWG Lodnia

NOA

Apr 17, 2015
The fact that we have been competitive this year is all that should matter. The record is probably around what many expected but I thought they would have a lot of blow outs.

Since the start of 2018, the youngsters have stepped up big time
Sproule 20gp 3g 5a 8pts
Fowler 18pg 5g 5a 10pts
Patry 17gp 2g 5a 7pts
Yetman 20gp 5g 4a 9pts
Golod 17pg 3g 4a 7pts
Gritz 20gp 2g 5a 7pts

Murphy in his last 14 appearances has a .902 save percentage

Fowler and Murphy have been the biggest surprises. What a shocker to see Fowler produce when actually getting some ice time (sarcasm). Sproule has also locked much better in second half of season

buzzworthy

Jan 14, 2014
Well, that was another big win for the boys. Obi played very well. I was beginning to wonder a bit about him, but he has played very well. I believe we have 2 very solid goaltenders for next season. As a matter of fact, as well as they are playing right now, I think we may turn some heads next season. They are playing with a lot of confidence. In 2 years we will be an amazing team.

NOA

Apr 17, 2015
I just noticed that Erie played a 3 in 3 for 3 straight weekends. Wow. Has anyone else in the league had to do that? That’s ridiculous. Especially when the 3rd game is ending on a Sunday/Monday at 2pm.. essentially making it 3 games in 45 hours. That’s a lot. But to do it 3 weeks in a row with all involving at least 1 road trip... I don’t think it’s approriate.

buzzworthy

Jan 14, 2014
I don't know, but what I do know is that this group is one to watch the next several years. I can't wait! To beat Sarnia 2-1 in their barn isn't easy. They gave Windsor a battle-the score did not indicate how they dominated the 3rd period. Beating Guelph twice last weekend wasn't easy. This is going to be a very, very good team in a short amount of time.

Reactions: ottersguy

NOA

Apr 17, 2015
I don't know, but what I do know is that this group is one to watch the next several years. I can't wait! To beat Sarnia 2-1 in their barn isn't easy. They gave Windsor a battle-the score did not indicate how they dominated the 3rd period. Beating Guelph twice last weekend wasn't easy. This is going to be a very, very good team in a short amount of time.
I would probably agree Buzz. I mean there is a ton of development that has to occur. But so much for Fowler “only (having) 4 points in 33 games” .. erie needs him to be a star and “looks like he might not be”
All I know is Fowler has looked great. 11 points in 21 games with Erie. A few of his goals were elite. Some of his assists show his vision and creativity. He already has the speed. That kid will only get stronger and more confident.

Sproule and Gritz have had their moments. Sproule has looked like a 1st rounder recently. Definitely more confident. And I personally have loved Golod all year long. Murphy has some real potential. I can go on and on. Yetman/Mack both have shown decent stuff. On the backend I feel good about Duff and Martin. Timmermans and Henry have some more work to do and Kischnick will be here next year.
So yes, we can be more excited than we were say in June of 2017 about our future. There is some development and some drafting that still has to happen but the pieces are there. And having a top OHL and top Import pick is really going to be massive. Still have Lodnia/Maksimovich that can be moved for assets as well.

buzzworthy

Jan 14, 2014
I couldn't make the game. What happened with Lodnia? A fight? Really? 9-3? Holy smokes! The Petes must be really, really bad.

NOA

Apr 17, 2015
Something I have noticed with Hartsburg and I don’t like - he keeps his goalies in too long. Today Murphy gave up 4 goals in about 4 minutes. They leave him in for 7 goals. Similar situation happened the other day vs Windsor yet Murphy stayed in net. If nothing else you switch the goalie just to wake up the team. Seems like a few times this year he has opted to wait too long to do it or doesn’t do it at all when he should. I get it, we are rebuilding - there will be some lopsided scores but don’t ever like the idea of letting a goalie get peppered.. especially with Murphy who appears to be the future yet is only 17 years old

NOA

Apr 17, 2015
Have to be happy with erie continuing to grind it out with a short bench

Martin (probably most consistent defender) has been out for weeks and is done for the year.
Girhiny (reliable 3rd line vet) has been out for weeks/done for the year
Lodnia (most talented player) out for a few games
Beamish has been out for a few games.

Erie has been playing with 16 skaters for a couple of games now. So have to give them credit for battling but you can tell they are exhausted.

Golod continues to impress. Great vision. Still needs to grow but don’t be shocked to see him explode for 70-80 points next year.. but of course that will depend on the talent around him.
Will also say the same about Fowler who now has managed 15pts in 25 games with Erie. If the kid becomes a star then Erie hit the jackpot on that trade.

Also it’s prettt clear that Oberoi is not a starter in this league. He lets in too many softies and is way too inconsistent. If he did have a chance, it would need to coincide with putting on some weight. Murphy much more relaxed and consistent. Which is good news for Erie because Daniel is a year younger and has more potential

NOA

Apr 17, 2015
Luckily the road games are over with.. Erie went 6-22-3-3 this year on the road. I don’t think we are that bad but young team/new coach/tough division and conference and well things got ugly with the road record. But we continue to win at the EIA. The EIA really should be considered one of the toughest places to play after Erie went .500 or better this year at home.. with a bottom 3/4 team.

Also of note: 3 games remaining for Erie and 5 for PBO. Petes currently 2pts back but hold the wins tiebreaker. Petes have tougher opponents remaining but Erie plays all 3 at home. I for one hope erie gets the 3rd overall pick..

buzzworthy

Jan 14, 2014
Ottersguy, agree with your post(s). Might I add that Duff continues to impress. We finally have a big guy who plays big, like McDermind. Another thing I have noticed with this group is the gnarly play that they display. They have some swagger, and they don't seem to put up with anything. I have noticed that Patry has begun to play more physical. To be honest, I didn't think much of him the first half of the season. Fowler is a real competitor. He really has thrown some big hits. For a 16 year old rookie, that is simply unheard of. Can you imagine when he gets bigger and stronger? I think we have a real ringer there, and he is the best thing to happen for Sproule, who has a genuine template to compete with.

buzzworthy

Jan 14, 2014
A question for anyone familiar with the draft. Could Byfield bypass the Petes/Flint/Sudbury and get drafted by Erie? I hate to trash those 3 teams, but there ain't much happening with any of them. How would that happen?

nelli27

May 21, 2011
London, Ontario
A question for anyone familiar with the draft. Could Byfield bypass the Petes/Flint/Sudbury and get drafted by Erie? I hate to trash those 3 teams, but there ain't much happening with any of them. How would that happen?
I think it's very unlikely that Byfield would drop that far down, but you never know.
As for last night's game, I really like Timmermans--I think he's going to be a good one. But, I haven't heard much about him, not even from Otters' fans.

Reactions: ottersguy

NOA

Apr 17, 2015
I think it's very unlikely that Byfield would drop that far down, but you never know.
As for last night's game, I really like Timmermans--I think he's going to be a good one. But, I haven't heard much about him, not even from Otters' fans.

I think Timmermans was buried earlier in the year. With Sambrook/Headrick/Byrne eating up a lot of ice. And Martin/Wainman, being older/with more experience, getting more ice. He was playing the 6/7 role. Scratched every other game or every 3/4 games. Hence only 35 games on the year for him. After the trades and now the Beamish injury, he has gotten more ice. I have only seen him live 4 times since the trade deadline. And in many of those games my focus has been drawn to Fowler/Sproule/Murphy because those are 3 guys I think erie NEEDS to have pan out. But what I have noticed with Timmer - he moves very, very well and seems to be smart/mature. A little on the short end but in today’s game that doesn’t matter too much..

Reactions: nelli27

NOA

Apr 17, 2015
Highly doubt it Buzzworthy. If Erie picks 3 overall then maybe there is a slim 1% chance. But I think the rumors are bogus. Imo he will go wherever he’s drafted. It would require him to tell both flint/Sudbury that no way in hell he goes there. And then for not one, but BOTH, teams to decide passing on him is worth it. Imo you take him anyways, hope he reports, but if he doesn’t you trade. I would rather get a boatload of second/third rounders and 2 first rounders for 2019 than just let byfield go to another team for free.
I don’t see it happening. Erie let it happen with Taylor Hall to Windsor in 2007(?). Yeah we got Oreilly but we could have forced another teams hand to trade for Hall and give us a billion picks. When it’s consensus #1 like this.. take the player. Now if Erie was picking 2 then possibly I could see byfield wanting to avoid Sudbury and them being stupid enough to not pick him. But with Erie picking 3/4.. no way it happens

But it’s as if Erie didn’t want byfield. If they wanted to, they could have moved Mak/Lodnia/Headrick or at least 2 of them. Instead we tried to remain somewhat competitive. We certainly didn’t tank.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad