Erie Otters 2018-19 Season Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

NOA

Apr 17, 2015
Disagree. The arena isn't that bad for a town of 18000 people. Great fans there that back there team. Money doesn't grow on trees in small communities.
Watching Erie play in Kitchener I was impressed with their team. Not that easy to play against. It won't take them long to get back into contention.
Haven’t won games and this weekend they dealt with the blowout but for the most part I have to credit their ability to stay in games.

They don’t have the high talent and they young so it’s far too difficult to get key saves or key goals when needed. But the effort has been there.
I don’t think it will take too long either. This entire team is back next year with the exception of Fellows/Headrick who I don’t think they will really miss.
Golod/Fowler have clear top line talent. Poddubyni/Gritz have have 2-3rd line ability. Sproule needs to get stronger so the jury is out on him. And we know now that they are getting anywhere from 1-4th overall pick. Add in a top 12 Import pick and you have 7 forwards that can ALL be on the roster for the next 2 years if you don’t trade them away. And they all have or at least should have top 9 talent. The question is who becomes the star talent? That’s where Golod/Fowler/and 2018 OHL and Import draft will be huge. And the big question of Kyle Schroeder who hasn’t committed to any college yet and would immediately slot into the top 9 with top 6 potential. A big offseason of drafting/developing/signing. HUGE. If the guys develop and we sign the guys in our system.. this team will be up towards the top again in 2/3 years

buzzworthy

Jan 14, 2014
It was great to see Whiskers with the hat trick last night for the Hawks. He continues to impress at every level.

NOA

Apr 17, 2015
I've been impressed with Fowler so far. Looks like he could be a star at this level. It's nice that he's a late September birthday, too, so his draft year won't be until 2020.
speed speed speed! No question he has great skating. But his hockey senses look very natural. He is starting to get comfortable. High chance he becomes a good player in this league but he can also become a star. Can’t wait for next year to see the development of guys.

buzzworthy

Jan 14, 2014
As I have said before, it is too bad that NY hasn't any cities that don't have AHL franchises already.

Captain Crash

Apr 9, 2015
As I have said before, it is too bad that NY hasn't any cities that don't have AHL franchises already.

I wonder what the landscape will look like in a few seasons. Syracuse and Rochester have been squabbling over new arenas or renovations for quite some time, an given the volatile nature of NHL teams looking for teams to pick off, they could be targeted (obviously Buffalo owns Rochester already).

Reactions: three dog night

hardclimate

Jan 7, 2015
Well, it may be considered a rebuilding year for the Otters but you wouldn't know it from their game in the Bay last night. They skated and passed very well for the full sixty minutes and enjoyed the majority of puck possession time. Oberoi was solid in net and they didn't look anything like a last place team. If this is a rebuild, then the future should be pretty interesting.

Reactions: Poster man

NOA

Apr 17, 2015
Well, it may be considered a rebuilding year for the Otters but you wouldn't know it from their game in the Bay last night. They skated and passed very well for the full sixty minutes and enjoyed the majority of puck possession time. Oberoi was solid in net and they didn't look anything like a last place team. If this is a rebuild, then the future should be pretty interesting.
Hartsburg has had the team battling all year. For the most part they give effort.
The issue early in the year was youth (particularly on defense) and poor as hell goaltending. I expected more wins because I expected Timpano to embrace his role and show up-that didn’t come close to happening.
Now they are even younger but have started to get a little bit better goalie play. They just don’t have the veteran players or the stars. So wins will be tough. But would be nice to see them get to 18-20 wins.
Golod has star potential. If he wore a certain OHL jersey, he would be talked about as a potential 3-4th round nhl pick. Love his game. Loving Fowler the more I watch him.

hardclimate

Jan 7, 2015
Four points so far on the road trip - not too shabby by any measure. Hounds will be a big test for the Otters although both teams have speed going for them so goaltending and finishing may be the difference. Even if they don't climb over that mountain, it's been a decent weekend.

EON

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 31, 2013
Raleigh, NC
Very good weekend I'd say, road wins over North Bay and Sudbury, hung in tough against the best team in the league today. Especially considering they were 2-17-3-3 on the road coming into the weekend. Hopefully this builds up some confidence.

Reactions: ottersguy

NOA

Apr 17, 2015
Very good weekend I'd say, road wins over North Bay and Sudbury, hung in tough against the best team in the league today. Especially considering they were 2-17-3-3 on the road coming into the weekend. Hopefully this builds up some confidence.
Can’t tell you how impressed I am by this team hanging in most of their games. They have either won or lost a game by 2 or less goals in 76% or their games. Bottom line is we are far too young - especially on defense and in net - and lack firepower up front to win these close games vs SSM or most of the league. But to even hang in there and work hard? It’s so encouraging for the future. Teams like Oshawa and London have dealt with bigger lopsided losses this year... they just have more wins. And Erie themselves could have 2/3 more wins just from extra time alone where they have 9 losses.

I consider it impressive. Yeah sure we aren’t winning but this isn’t Guelph of 2015-16 or Erie of 2011-2013 bad. This is just “we are too young” to win bad. But the raw talent and effort is there. Just needs to develop.

Our GD is -39

Ottawa -31 but they have 21 wins. -47 for PBO but they have 18 wins.

Even if we lost the remaining 17 games by 2.5 goals on average, we would finish with -82 GD.. not too shabby. And it very well and probably will be better. In 2012 we finished -169 and in 2013 it was -106. Guelph was -141 in 2016.
Teams with around a -60 to a -80 GD usually win 20-25 wins. So erie is not atrocious here.

Reactions: aresknights

buzzworthy

Jan 14, 2014
Well stated. I am really, really excited for next season. In 2 years we will be back in the saddle again. To be as competitive as we are is simply amazing.

louis

Apr 3, 2014
Sault fan coming in peace. Your goalie Murphy will take you a long way in the future. And your youngsters are looking quite good. And the Hounds are playing like a piece of you know what. Keep improving!

U Otter B There

Aug 25, 2016
Sault fan coming in peace. Your goalie Murphy will take you a long way in the future. And your youngsters are looking quite good. And the Hounds are playing like a piece of you know what. Keep improving!
Probably a case of mid-season blahs. Every good team goes through them. They'll be fine.

NOA

Apr 17, 2015
My opinion is that the team likes Murphy better at this stage. He seems much more stable in net and consistent. Now you add the fact that he is a year younger and is showing more potential - all reasons he has gotten more playing time recently and that should continue

Would expect he gets 2 of 3 this weekend. Question is which 2? He played very well vs SSM last weekend so why not play him again vs them? Imo Murphy is the better goalie so he should get the tougher matchups. I would play him tonight and tomorrow and then go with Oberoi on Sunday

7D442

Apr 27, 2015
ERIE PA
A win would be sweet - but even to be within a goal or two would be ok...We usually are competitive with almost everyone so far, but with a close to worst vs 1st place scenario tonight cards are against us..Interesting stat from last game w SSM was 80% of the scoring was from a former or current ERIE player, T- Rad being the difference maker w 2 goals...

J Simmons

Feb 11, 2018
Hey guys, just joined HFboards and found this article. I’ve been a fan of Erie for the past 5-6 years at this point ever since McDavid made his way through here. I was wondering if anyone had any opinions on prospects for the future (signed or unsigned) that would spark some interest. Seeing as you guys have the season covered up to today in discussion. I heard good things about our 7th (Hoffman) and 5th (Sellan) from last year, as well as certain upcoming picks in the 2018 draft such as Dryesdale (02), Power (02), O’Rourke (02) Etc.

NOA

Apr 17, 2015
Hey guys, just joined HFboards and found this article. I’ve been a fan of Erie for the past 5-6 years at this point ever since McDavid made his way through here. I was wondering if anyone had any opinions on prospects for the future (signed or unsigned) that would spark some interest. Seeing as you guys have the season covered up to today in discussion. I heard good things about our 7th (Hoffman) and 5th (Sellan) from last year, as well as certain upcoming picks in the 2018 draft such as Dryesdale (02), Power (02), O’Rourke (02) Etc.
Welcome! We could use some new posters in here. It’s been quiet

Heard some positives about Hoffman and Sellan as well. I believe both were at camp in the summer. Sellan for sure was, meaning he probably will sign here if he is good enough to crack the roster next year. Also keep an eye on Connor Dobson and Mark Cooper on the backend. Erie has had tremendous success with defenders picked in late rounds. I had heard last spring that Dobson is a future OHL player.. just is raw.

Brendan Kischnick (2001) is already signed, so he will be on the team next year.

The key question mark is Kyle Schroeder. Has the skills to make immediate impact but also is USHL drafted. Would be huge to sign him.

Could be a really competitive camp if Schroeder signed and Hoffman/Sellan looked like OHL players. Though it is crowded on the roster with youth, and an expected top OHL and Import pick upcoming, don’t forget that trades can be made. Erie will likely move Lodnia and probably Mak by next year. As for the 2018 draft, expect Erie to take a forward with their pick. They have 7 defenders signed that can all be in the OHL for the next 2-4 years. I think they need an impact forward though

buzzworthy

Jan 14, 2014
On another note, what a good tilt for the boys on Sunday. They beat a team that is loaded with talent (and badly underachieving) with hustle and determination. Both goalies made some terrific saves. Murphy is going to be a very good goalie if things progress for him. And to think he was the very last man drafted in his draft year, which backs up you statement about late round picks. To stop the 3 players that he did in the shootout is pretty amazing.

Reactions: ottersguy

NOA

Apr 17, 2015
On another note, what a good tilt for the boys on Sunday. They beat a team that is loaded with talent (and badly underachieving) with hustle and determination. Both goalies made some terrific saves. Murphy is going to be a very good goalie if things progress for him. And to think he was the very last man drafted in his draft year, which backs up you statement about late round picks. To stop the 3 players that he did in the shootout is pretty amazing.
Wow yes he has been awesome! Didn’t expect it. I felt like Erie would be ok in many areas going forward. Young, yes, but there is talent there. I was very worried about the goaltending situation. Oberoi hasn’t looked like much more than a solid future backup to me. And he’s already a 1999, meaning only 2 years left of eligibility after this season. Murphy is a 2000 and looks like he has legit potential. He has been awesome lately on a young, bottom league team

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad