Erie Otters 2018-19 Season Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

EON

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 31, 2013
Raleigh, NC
5-2 win for Erie over London, always nice to beat them, especially to end a 5 game losing streak. Offense came alive, Timpano played reasonably well after a rough outing last night.

It's surprising how bad London's defense is. They'll get Formenton back up front but I think losing Juolevi, Crawley, and potentially Mete is going to be too much for their D-corps to take.

Two tough road games next week, Wednesday @ Owen Sound and Thursday @ Barrie.

NOA

Apr 17, 2015
finally hartsburg balanced out the lines. took him too long to realize it imo. you cant afford to leave a guy like Poddubyni alone. He has skills but cant carry a line. He thus is a perfect fit for Raddysh. Lodnia can work with Maksmovich. those should stay. what you do with robinson, edwardson, patry, golod can be decided as the games continue but can we just keep it like for now:
9-27 - X
X - 39- 17
21- 96- 7

that seems to be our best chance at balance.

EON

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 31, 2013
Raleigh, NC
Robinson with Maksimovich/Lodnia and Edwardson with Poddubnyi/Raddysh looked good tonight so I'd keep it like that for now but obviously switch it up if need be.

Balance is definitely key. If they stack the top line they don't have enough firepower elsewhere to make up for teams keying in on that top line.

NOA

Apr 17, 2015
Some takes from game
Poddubyni is so under valued across the league. Kid couldnt even get drafted in like 5-7th round of NHL draft? stupid. size, skates, shot. all pretty good and he stands out.

Martin is quietly +6 on the year. Liked him better than Wainman last yr. Seems like a steady top 4 guy for next year and the year after

Raddysh at +5 is another reason he should be the biggest name on trade block. +65 last year. Incredible. Underrated part of his game

Nice to see Lodnia come alive. Maksimovich as well but he has been steady for like 2+ years now.

When will name a captain? Hopefully soon. I am hoping for Mak

Btw, love the white jerseys. they look nice on highlights and pictures..but live..wow they are so refreshing and slick

Seems worthy to mention thaat erie has outshot their opponents 6 of 7 games. They have given up 26 or less shots in 5 of 7 games. only 1 game over 30 shots against. On the other hand erie has generated 30 or more shots in 4 of 7 games. we will see how that continues just find it interesting. Really Timpano's struggles are on him when the d is only giving up like 25 shots a night. Windsor as an example has given up 30 or more shots in 5 of their 7 games. OS, everyones favorite, has given up 30 or more in 3 of their 5 games. A bit more offense and a bit better play from troy and erie is probably 4-3ish. Unlike london, i think we are a bit better than our current record

NOA

Apr 17, 2015
wow just realized erie plays 8 of 9 and 9 of 11 at home, starting next saturday.
niagara, sudbury, guelph, oshawa, windsor, saginaw - very winnable games.

if they can just split OS/Barrie on the road- the home stretch should help

Generalsupdates

@GeneralsUpdates on Twitter
Sep 4, 2017
Some takes from game
Poddubyni is so under valued across the league. Kid couldnt even get drafted in like 5-7th round of NHL draft? stupid. size, skates, shot. all pretty good and he stands out.

Martin is quietly +6 on the year. Liked him better than Wainman last yr. Seems like a steady top 4 guy for next year and the year after

Raddysh at +5 is another reason he should be the biggest name on trade block. +65 last year. Incredible. Underrated part of his game

Nice to see Lodnia come alive. Maksimovich as well but he has been steady for like 2+ years now.

When will name a captain? Hopefully soon. I am hoping for Mak

Btw, love the white jerseys. they look nice on highlights and pictures..but live..wow they are so refreshing and slick

Seems worthy to mention thaat erie has outshot their opponents 6 of 7 games. They have given up 26 or less shots in 5 of 7 games. only 1 game over 30 shots against. On the other hand erie has generated 30 or more shots in 4 of 7 games. we will see how that continues just find it interesting. Really Timpano's struggles are on him when the d is only giving up like 25 shots a night. Windsor as an example has given up 30 or more shots in 5 of their 7 games. OS, everyones favorite, has given up 30 or more in 3 of their 5 games. A bit more offense and a bit better play from troy and erie is probably 4-3ish. Unlike london, i think we are a bit better than our current record

You don't think London's better than their 1-6-0 record? That's a hot take

NOA

Apr 17, 2015
You don't think London's better than their 1-6-0 record? That's a hot take
i dont think im the only one. they have stated it on their boards. so their fans seem to agree. terrible defense right now. their big 3 hasnt done much/arent really snipers to begin with, and they have basically a rookie goalie.
when erie has lost its been mostly close games. close battles, just cant finish. london at times has just not even been there. is london going to turn it around? probably. actually very likely. but as of now, erie is really been in most of their games. a goal here or there and they are .500 or better.
london probably finishes above erie (trades depending). but right now? erie has battled harder than london. have been in closer games. thus their record is more deceiving.

quick look - london -18 GD, Erie -3

buzzworthy

Jan 14, 2014
The Otters looked very good for as young as they are. Both Lodnia and G-Pod played well, as did the whole team. What impressed me was the dedication to sticks on the puck, and the skating. They may not be a top tier team, but they sure are fun to watch. With a few top draft picks, this team will be ready to go in 2 or 3 years.

Generalsupdates

@GeneralsUpdates on Twitter
Sep 4, 2017
i dont think im the only one. they have stated it on their boards. so their fans seem to agree. terrible defense right now. their big 3 hasnt done much/arent really snipers to begin with, and they have basically a rookie goalie.
when erie has lost its been mostly close games. close battles, just cant finish. london at times has just not even been there. is london going to turn it around? probably. actually very likely. but as of now, erie is really been in most of their games. a goal here or there and they are .500 or better.
london probably finishes above erie (trades depending). but right now? erie has battled harder than london. have been in closer games. thus their record is more deceiving.

quick look - london -18 GD, Erie -3

The "is london going to turn it around? probably. actually very likely." means you don't actually think they're as bad as their 1-6-0 record.... Lol for sure they're not playing well. But they have way to much superstar talent to be this bad (Similar to Mississauga last year, although Mississauga was better then than London is now)

NOA

Apr 17, 2015
The "is london going to turn it around? probably. actually very likely." means you don't actually think they're as bad as their 1-6-0 record.... Lol for sure they're not playing well. But they have way to much superstar talent to be this bad (Similar to Mississauga last year, although Mississauga was better then than London is now)
oh boy :skeptic: this is what happens when i dont overly explain

actually no that quote means that i think they get Formenton back. Probably could see Mete back. It also means I think that london will not accept a 8-10th seed season. they have the assets still and can make 1/2 small tweaks when Formenton likely returns to make them more competitive. Erie, with no picks until like 2025, doesnt have that luxury.

as for superstars - Jones is not an elite offensive player in this league. dont care about his nhl prospects. Pu, as london fans will say, seeemed to have disappeared over the last 10 months. Thomas is their best guy imo but no sniper. Bouchard is their only star on D. Last yr missy had more of those high end stars on offense. and again if they played in the west none of it would have been possible

i also stated that erie as OF RIGHT NOW is better than their record.
4 regulation losses, 1 OT loss - only 1 game did they lose by 3 goals. every other loss: 1 or 2 goal loss.

London as OF RIGHT NOW is not better than their 1-6 record. they have played like a 1-6 team. they r easily capable of turning it around but 1-6 is not deceiving, because as of now its who they r
6 regulation losses - 5 of those losses have been by 3 or more goals. the lone "close" loss was on the road vs an Eastern conference team

my point is erie has been more competitive. see the GD numbers. they are idk 2 more GF and 2 fewer GA from probably being 4-3 or 4-2-1. London cant say the same really.
guelph in 2015-16 was -12 GD in first 7 games. So -18 is not good. It wont continue. Because london wont allow it, they will get 1/2 nhl guys back, and have enough ammo to make band-aid trades or more to fix it. But AS OF NOW, erie is better than their record indicated. london? they have played like a 1-6 team. Simple as that

NOA

Apr 17, 2015
Boy timpano has been butt awful which has derailed things
lodnia has turned things around, raddysh is raddysh, maksimovich a solid consistent guy, robinson appears to be gaining confidence. better goaltending, not even great just decent goalie play, and they definitely have another win or 2.

cant complain. good effort from this team. down 4-0 on the road and they make it 4-3. kept fighting. erie at least is moving in the right direction with what looks like another gem of a young coach in hartsburg

just need better goalie play..
erie doesnt look like a last place missy or london team at all. have outshot teams in 8 of 10 games. other than timpano and some lack of finish from young forwards, they dont that bad. middle pack-ish. 6/7th seed ish? decent. Its that goaltending though

may be alot of sellers this year, driving price down. Than again, if i were a GM i would much rather have Raddysh over Jones or Pu if trying to win title. Raddysh should be hottest target of all available trade chips. The only other one erie NEEDS to move is Sammy. Luckily, london doesnt have much D help to give. and windsor only really has Day - an OA. Sammy might be 1st or 2nd best available D-man likely to be on market. So at least when erie sells off , their guys should be sought after highly

buzzworthy

Jan 14, 2014
What happened to Timpano? He wasn't on the bench in the 3rd period. Yes, with some better goaltending, we win several of those games. I am very pleased overall with this team. The compete level is very high. They have more snarl than past teams. They will be very good again in 2 years.

ohloutsider

Jan 13, 2016
Rock & Hardplace
Boy timpano has been butt awful which has derailed things
lodnia has turned things around, raddysh is raddysh, maksimovich a solid consistent guy, robinson appears to be gaining confidence. better goaltending, not even great just decent goalie play, and they definitely have another win or 2.

cant complain. good effort from this team. down 4-0 on the road and they make it 4-3. kept fighting. erie at least is moving in the right direction with what looks like another gem of a young coach in hartsburg

just need better goalie play..
erie doesnt look like a last place missy or london team at all. have outshot teams in 8 of 10 games. other than timpano and some lack of finish from young forwards, they dont that bad. middle pack-ish. 6/7th seed ish? decent. Its that goaltending though

may be alot of sellers this year, driving price down. Than again, if i were a GM i would much rather have Raddysh over Jones or Pu if trying to win title. Raddysh should be hottest target of all available trade chips. The only other one erie NEEDS to move is Sammy. Luckily, london doesnt have much D help to give. and windsor only really has Day - an OA. Sammy might be 1st or 2nd best available D-man likely to be on market. So at least when erie sells off , their guys should be sought after highly
Day is not an OA - he is 19. Also Nother from Windsor is 19 and a quality stay at home D that may draw some interest.

NOA

Apr 17, 2015
Day is not an OA - he is 19. Also Nother from Windsor is 19 and a quality stay at home D that may draw some interest.
apologize, missed that. always forget he was granted exceptional status

sure there will be teams looking for the cheaper Nother like add. but sambrook is much better option if you need top 4 player who can move puck and get 15-20 goals.

Last edited:

NOA

Apr 17, 2015
What happened to Timpano? He wasn't on the bench in the 3rd period. Yes, with some better goaltending, we win several of those games. I am very pleased overall with this team. The compete level is very high. They have more snarl than past teams. They will be very good again in 2 years.
got injured according to multiple people. doesnt help because oberio is a rookie and has been statistically worse. not suprised tho, dont think timpano has ever really been overly durable. lots of injuries/illnesses over the years. so i actually expected something like this to happen 1-2 times this year.

hopefully it isnt long term. if shorter term it wont make a difference - timpano has picked up exactly where he left off from last year

EON

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 31, 2013
Raleigh, NC
I like the way the forwards and defense have performed this season. Some things to improve on but that's to be expected from a young team.

The goaltending has let them down and is a big reason why they are 3-6-1 imo.

Beast Mowed

Apr 18, 2015
Erie, Pa
I've kind of been out of the loop for awhile. Pretty safe to assume Murdacca is gone. What is his status with the team? Did we/can we get something in return?

NOA

Apr 17, 2015
I've kind of been out of the loop for awhile. Pretty safe to assume Murdacca is gone. What is his status with the team? Did we/can we get something in return?
he wont suit up for the otters again. pretty safe to assume. im not a fan of it. he could have given you what timpano is giving you now if not much better. And he would have saved you an OA spot if you wanted to use it + give you more stability in net next year (BIG question mark for 2018-19)

the only reasonable excuse is he did something or multiple inexcusable things that erie wouldnt have accepted from anyone. However, i have heard stories in the past about players (big name stars) doing things i would consider inexcusable and staying on the team. i dont want to speculate but sounds like it was because they didnt consider him irreplaceable (aka if Debrincat did something they would let it slide) so its a double standard. Or it was something they just cant accept and if it was a star guy they would trade him immediately. Murdaca appears to be a FA. he is probably better than at least a few backups in the league. doesnt take up OA spot. Not sure why he didnt get scooped off waivers. Unless other teams know the off ice or whatever happened issues. Or they just dont value him. Regardless he is done here. We picked Troy, the option that in terms of production on ice and stability in net next year makes little to no sense. Just hope the reason behind it is totally off ice based and thus a good decision. Otherwise we dropped the ball here

Animal House

Jan 8, 2015
Erie, Pa.
he wont suit up for the otters again. pretty safe to assume. im not a fan of it. he could have given you what timpano is giving you now if not much better. And he would have saved you an OA spot if you wanted to use it + give you more stability in net next year (BIG question mark for 2018-19)

the only reasonable excuse is he did something or multiple inexcusable things that erie wouldnt have accepted from anyone. However, i have heard stories in the past about players (big name stars) doing things i would consider inexcusable and staying on the team. i dont want to speculate but sounds like it was because they didnt consider him irreplaceable (aka if Debrincat did something they would let it slide) so its a double standard. Or it was something they just cant accept and if it was a star guy they would trade him immediately. Murdaca appears to be a FA. he is probably better than at least a few backups in the league. doesnt take up OA spot. Not sure why he didnt get scooped off waivers. Unless other teams know the off ice or whatever happened issues. Or they just dont value him. Regardless he is done here. We picked Troy, the option that in terms of production on ice and stability in net next year makes little to no sense. Just hope the reason behind it is totally off ice based and thus a good decision. Otherwise we dropped the ball here

Animal House

Jan 8, 2015
Erie, Pa.
I feel I have to reply to the Murdaca situation. First, Murdaca is not with the team because of multiple off ice infractions. This I heard from a very reliable source (not going to disclose on here) close to the team and player. Let's look at his past, started in Saginaw(?), went to Missasagua(?) and then to the Otters. Makes you think, doesn't it? Next addressing the "double standards". Previous ownership/management. Did Bassin run a tight ship? Probably not considering how poor this team was for 10 years. The new management team is being run like a business, no BS. These kids aren't saints and have been put on pedestals from an early age due to their skills on the ice. But where do you draw the line on what to condone and what to discipline? I have faith that Brown will do what's right for this team.
Here's hoping that Erie can trade Murdaca and get something for him. Agree wholeheartedly with otterguy regarding the use of an OA spot on Timpano, it is being wasted. When and if the time comes, trade both of them, this team is not going anywhere soon and neither of them will be here when Erie contends again. As much as it hurts, play the kid Obe. Let's find out if he has what it takes and not make decisions on a few games. Thanks for letting me vent. GO OTTERS!

buzzworthy

Jan 14, 2014
Yea, Animal House, I heard that also. Kudos to Knoblauch and Brown for not caving in last year, when in reality it may have cost us a Memorial Cup. Bassin did not run a tight ship. Far from it. If you recall, there was an issue some 5 years ago that was made public about one of the Otters who had broken the rules. Knoblauch wanted him to sit out some games, but Bassin overruled him after talking to the player, who promised not to do it again. The kid played. That is BS. I want to have stand up guys on the team, no matter how they do. After meeting these kids several weeks ago, I think that Brown has done a good job of drafting well rounded kids.

Reactions: Beast Mowed

NOA

Apr 17, 2015
I feel I have to reply to the Murdaca situation. First, Murdaca is not with the team because of multiple off ice infractions. This I heard from a very reliable source (not going to disclose on here) close to the team and player. Let's look at his past, started in Saginaw(?), went to Missasagua(?) and then to the Otters. Makes you think, doesn't it? Next addressing the "double standards". Previous ownership/management. Did Bassin run a tight ship? Probably not considering how poor this team was for 10 years. The new management team is being run like a business, no BS. These kids aren't saints and have been put on pedestals from an early age due to their skills on the ice. But where do you draw the line on what to condone and what to discipline? I have faith that Brown will do what's right for this team.
Here's hoping that Erie can trade Murdaca and get something for him. Agree wholeheartedly with otterguy regarding the use of an OA spot on Timpano, it is being wasted. When and if the time comes, trade both of them, this team is not going anywhere soon and neither of them will be here when Erie contends again. As much as it hurts, play the kid Obe. Let's find out if he has what it takes and not make decisions on a few games. Thanks for letting me vent. GO OTTERS!
i have heard some things too. All im saying - is if the decision was made ENTIRELY on off ice issue - no problem
if not - they messed up

all rumors point towards off ice, but its just sad and sucks. And the question is still..does erie keep murdaca if that didnt happen or do they stay attached to troy? and did it impact knoblauchs decision to not start Murdaca much in playoffs/mem cup when he seemed like better option. questions we will never know

double standard thing is fair because its happened here before. keeping players based off personal family connections over players that are better. Getting rid of one guy for one thing, keeping another guy for the same thing. Most or all stories i have heard did deal with Bassin's team though. Without a doubt erie is running things much better. i hope going forward we can continue making positive decisions

if troy is gooing to give you .860, yep play Oberio. at least he can learn something. Problem becomes when do you stop giving troy chances? you keep thinking "maybe this will be the game he turns it around... nope?.....okay maybe this will be the game he...nope wait.....okay well next week will surely be the game he fixes things, starts stealing games for us like Dev in 2015-16...."

Its hard because he is more experienced, more potential for steady game. and if you (erie) want to win as many games as possible before trades- you have to feel like troy is your best bet. you need 2-3 GA performances vs top teams. whos more likely to do that right now? and vs bottom teams, you want to/need to be able to win those games. Its a difficult conundrum. all i know is - troy has to be much much better

keep venting away! thats what we are all here for lol.

Last edited:

Beast Mowed

Apr 18, 2015
Erie, Pa
A goalie is only as good as the defense in front of him allows him to be. You don't want to "overuse" Oberoi & kill his confidence. It's a fine line coach & management walk. Whatever happened with Murdaca I have confidence management made the right decision.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad