Erie Otters 2018-19 Season Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

EON

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 31, 2013
Raleigh, NC
Solid exhibition season for Erie, going 3-2. Gave the young guys a lot of playing time. Patrick Fellows looked great, putting up 5 points in 5 games. I think he's earned that OA spot and the final one will come down to Headrick or Fergus (Fergus is still out recovering from an injury at the moment). Timpano played well, putting up a 0.926 SV% in three starts. Oberoi not as sharp with a 0.893 SV% but he fared much better than last preseason.

Erie is still carrying 16 forwards and 10 dmen right now, so they need to make probably 4 more cuts before the season opens Thursday night in Peterborough.

OHL4Life

Sep 6, 2017
Please tell me you understand the difference lol.... When we're in the market for a really good, young player in a rebuild Lodnia fits the bill perfectly. Now we're looking for someone to get to carry our team and we don't think Lodnia is that guy. Pretty simple concept I think

And who are you trying to convince that Lodnia is elite? Lol you're talking on the Erie thread, yeah everyone is going to be drinking the kool-aid

id take him on our team

NOA

Apr 17, 2015
id take him on our team

i think most would when you consider 1.5-2 years of service you could get from him. we will see the jump he makes from year 2 to 3. if he produces in a way that puts him on pace for 35 and up amount of goals..then how could you not want him. he has the skills to produce in that way, not a long shot

curious how patry and sproule have looked?

still under the belief that erie should consider moving lodnia if the right offer is there. i know it will hurt the team this year but i think its more pressing that we immediately restock picks and surround a nucleus of young talent. im personally fine seeing this team miss the playoffs and get a top 3-4 ohl pick. they need a new "face of franchise" guy to build around for the start of working towards the future. and the closer to the top of ohl draft you get..the better. dont think erie has as many difficulties as they did in previous years (even with mcdavid) in trying to convince the best or second best prospect to report to erie. so getting the 3rd overall pick for ex is really getting the 3rd best player

but the right offer has to be there. and if lodnia gets off to a raddysh like start to the year, i am selling him. cash in. move on. because i think if erie is willing and aggressive enough they can be very competitive again by 2020. if we just try to stay afloat, making 1-2 moves a year not doing complete sell offs, not getting top 3/4 picks in ohl draft, im afraid we will end up being 6-8 seeds every year, solid team, but not capable of making any playoff noise until eventually we collapse. never good to stay stagnant in ohl. either BUY BUY BUY or SELL SELL SELL. work towards something though

EON

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 31, 2013
Raleigh, NC
I don't get the rush to move Lodnia, he'll be back next season. Let him develop and turn into an offensive juggernaut, could easily be flipped at next year's deadline for an '02 and a few picks. This team still wants to remain competitive and moving Lodnia now will hurt their ability to do so. I will be up in arms if they don't move Raddysh/Sambrook at the deadline though.

In team news, Lodnia/Sambrook returned by Minnesota/Detroit. Only Raddysh (TBL) remains at an NHL camp.

EON

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 31, 2013
Raleigh, NC
Part of the roster issue solved. Waiver pickup Fuoco has been reassigned, Mendonca cut. 14 forwards on the roster, I'm guessing they'll stick with this 14.

I assume Kischnick will be reassigned, leaving 9 dmen. After trading one of Fergus/Headrick it leaves them with 8. I'd prefer they get down to 7 so they have a little more playing time to go around but we'll see what they do.

NOA

Apr 17, 2015
Regular season roster finalized, Kischnick reassigned: http://ottershockey.com/roster/8/60

14F, 9D, 2G. I think they'll stick with 14F, will drop down to 8D once one of Fergus/Headrick is traded.

regardless of my views on what they should do or could do.. this is what i think the team will do in approaching the season-

once Fergus is 100% ready to play, erie will trade either him or Headrick. As soon as possible. I think Headrick gets moved because Fergus offers more in being a veteran, teaching the younger guys the way of the city and what the organization is all about. A guy who could wear the 'C' this year. However, I think erie would be wise to trade whichever guy they get more for. Every pick or any higher pick they can get is so valuable.

They wait until around December when they start to shop and move Sambrook. And then wait to shop Raddysh when the 2001 born trade window is open

If Lodnia can take that 3rd year leap, they get more consistency from OA Timpano, and between Poddubyni/Gritz/Patry/Fellows 2 or 3 of those guys provide decent secondary scoring, erie should win a good amount in the 1st half of year and then naturally slip back after trades, but they could still have enough from strong first half of yr to get near 30 wins. Very realistic if they go like 22-16 in the first half of the year. And if Lodnia steps up this year, that record seems very plausible

EON

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 31, 2013
Raleigh, NC
regardless of my views on what they should do or could do.. this is what i think the team will do in approaching the season-

once Fergus is 100% ready to play, erie will trade either him or Headrick. As soon as possible. I think Headrick gets moved because Fergus offers more in being a veteran, teaching the younger guys the way of the city and what the organization is all about. A guy who could wear the 'C' this year. However, I think erie would be wise to trade whichever guy they get more for. Every pick or any higher pick they can get is so valuable.

They wait until around December when they start to shop and move Sambrook. And then wait to shop Raddysh when the 2001 born trade window is open

If Lodnia can take that 3rd year leap, they get more consistency from OA Timpano, and between Poddubyni/Gritz/Patry/Fellows 2 or 3 of those guys provide decent secondary scoring, erie should win a good amount in the 1st half of year and then naturally slip back after trades, but they could still have enough from strong first half of yr to get near 30 wins. Very realistic if they go like 22-16 in the first half of the year. And if Lodnia steps up this year, that record seems very plausible

I agree. That's all I'm expecting this season. A decent, competitive team that hopefully makes the playoffs while smartly selling off a few assets (Fergus/Headrick, Sambrook, Raddysh) to begin gaining picks back and maybe add a good 2000/2001 born player.

Next season is likely more of the same but it's necessary after going for it 4 straight seasons.

buzzworthy

Jan 14, 2014
That would be the way to go for the Otters. I am thinking that DB will most certainly go that way. On another note, will the new broadcast company that Erie is working with be the same broadcast on their website? If so, great news! The year before last and a little less last year, the internet broadcast with AC was so bad that I would often listen to the home team when I could. Even the audio of the videos of the big playoff wins here in Erie were pretty bad.

EON

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 31, 2013
Raleigh, NC
That would be the way to go for the Otters. I am thinking that DB will most certainly go that way. On another note, will the new broadcast company that Erie is working with be the same broadcast on their website? If so, great news! The year before last and a little less last year, the internet broadcast with AC was so bad that I would often listen to the home team when I could. Even the audio of the videos of the big playoff wins here in Erie were pretty bad.

Good question buzzworthy, I sure hope so. I'm glad they're making the switch to FM, the AM broadcast was pretty poor.

Uniform redesign, new broadcast, and a new team bus (finally a team specific design).

Good to see the franchise making some positive changes.

buzzworthy

Jan 14, 2014
Good deal, thanks EON. It is about time with the bus. Having gone on more than a few road trips, especially an annual trip to Owen Sound, the Otter's bus was nondescript at best. Watching other teams arrive at the EIA with their logos emblazoned on the bus, some of them being perennial bottom dwellers, I was hoping for an upgrade. Erie's bus was embarrassing, but no more. Way to go Otters!

NOA

Apr 17, 2015
Good deal, thanks EON. It is about time with the bus. Having gone on more than a few road trips, especially an annual trip to Owen Sound, the Otter's bus was nondescript at best. Watching other teams arrive at the EIA with their logos emblazoned on the bus, some of them being perennial bottom dwellers, I was hoping for an upgrade. Erie's bus was embarrassing, but no more. Way to go Otters!

There are a few other teams in the league that just have a plain old bus they must rent for their trips. was more about saving money. I know for a fact they had one in the mid to later 2000s (cant remember the exact time frame). But when they had that awful 10 year stretch, they couldnt afford things like a bus. Had to make necessary cuts to run a team

Re-branding your team colors and jerseys, getting new FM/AM radio deal, getting a bus design ---all things that arent cheap. These new owners said they were invested, and clearly they are. They have slowly over 2 years now integrated their changes that they sorta vaguely promised. The more modern, cleaner jerseys, the new bus, the growing alumni = this all attracts players to your franchise. Along with the championship season and still newer arena, erie has to start making more pitches for college kids/FAs. Especially in a world of social media. Maybe in 2000 we were so unknown. New to the league, no social media. and in 2010 we were poorly run. and in 2014 we were just "mcdavids team." but its clear now that the franchise is in position to stay.

And i may be coming around with you on this EON..winning 30 games (again i think a realistic goal if they have a strong opening half), holding onto lodnia this year, would be important to prove we arent basement dwellers anymore. Thinking ahead here but how satisfying would it be if Erie won around 27-30 games this year, added a boatload of picks and 1/2 young stars for Radd/Sammy, added a top draft pick, and had a young promising talented team next year that won ~25 games. Do that and hit on somebody like Kyle Schroeder or Brendan Hoffman, and all the sudden Erie will be competing again in 3-4 years. Without 10 win seasons. Would really prove our worth in this league and make the naysayers close their mouths.

NOA

Apr 17, 2015
Curious about Sproule and Patry

Sproule netted no points in the preseason. Not a great sign in 5 games but preseason numbers are always odd.

Patry had solid numbers playing as underage in Swiss pro league but so hard to predict transition. Was cool to see article on him this past weekend about him learning english. Luckily, Oberoi is fluent in french! thats comforting for him hopefully.

Also wondering the growth we will see from Gritz and Poddubyni. Dont know much about Gritz but Podd I thought gained so much confidence in the playoffs last year. You look at his frame and some of his puck abilities and you see some rawness but also a good base to grow. For a guy that played HS hockey the years before, i thought he was pretty good for a rookie. A tougher transition he had to make than guys coming from Canadian junior leagues. Really would love to see him break out

Will also keep an eye on Jack Duff, Kurtis Henry, Joe Mack, Maxim Golod, and Chad Yetman.
Of these 2000 born rookies, which one, if any, can develop into a known name in 2-3 years? Darren Raddysh, Jordan Sambrook, TJ Fergus, Connor Brown, Nick Betz are some recent names who were late bloomers that erie snagged.

EON

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 31, 2013
Raleigh, NC
Yeah, that's the point I was trying to make ottersguy.

I understand where you're coming from with regards to filling up the draft cupboard and getting a high end pick, I just don't think bottoming out again is good for the franchise's image. And I have a i bit of a fear of the return to the days of the early 2000s. I'd much rather see the team stay competitive and promote development and a winning culture.

Besides, in the OHL draft, past the few can't-miss guys, the draft seems pretty volatile. Erie's scouting staff has been great the last few years nailing their picks at the end of the first round, getting better players than many teams got in the first round. Players at that age are just so young and it's difficult to project their future.

Be competitive this season, deal Fergus/Headrick, Sambrook, Raddysh for futures. Competitive again next season, deal Maksimovich/Lodnia for futures. Then hopefully with continued good drafting (and maybe an improvement in landing college commits) the team should turn the corner and become a title contender in 3-4 years.

To your second post, I am excited to watch Poddubnyi this season. He showed some really good flashes of skill last season but was just inconsistent, adjusting to this level, and didn't get a lot of ice time. It's definitely a big opportunity for him.

EON

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 31, 2013
Raleigh, NC
Anyone know what the conditions are? Obviously incentive based since Fergus is already an OA. Could be 1 pick since the other 2 are conditional

Great question, I'd like to know as well.

Still, at least getting a 3rd for TJ is nice. I'm not surprised he's the one Erie ended up moving. He was a great dman and an integral part of the last three years, hope he does well with Hamilton.

Tonight's lines:

Maksimovich-Lodnia-Raddysh
Patry-Poddubnyi-Robinson
Fellows-Gritz-Girhiny
Edwardson-Sproule-Golod

Wainman-Headrick
Byrne-Sambrook
Martin-Duff

Timpano in net.

EON

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 31, 2013
Raleigh, NC
Great start with a 5-2 win. Sounds like the 3rd line was terrific. Girhiny and Fellows have excellent chemistry.

Back at it again tomorrow night in Kingston.

Nothing Else Maattas

Oct 25, 2012
Erie, PA
Honestly didn't think they would win tonight, but I like being wrong.
From what I actually got to hear on the radio feed Girhiny sounded great.

Unrelated to the team qualm it only took Cooney to the 3rd period to realize that Cedric Paquette is in the NHL.

buzzworthy

Jan 14, 2014
I didn't think they would win either. The Petes are to be one of the better teams this year. My wife had to remind me what I said the past 2 years before the start of the season, where I told her not to get too ramped up about these guys. They would be good, but not a top tier team. I said it again before last night's game. To answer my own question about the broadcast, the sound quality was outstanding!

Reactions: Tardy Turtle

EON

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 31, 2013
Raleigh, NC
Bit of a disappointing weekend after a good start against the Petes. Offense struggled a bit Friday against Kingston, while the defense struggled today, especially the PK. But still early and it's good to get that Eastern road trip out of the way now.

buzzworthy

Jan 14, 2014
The Otters had a meet the team event last night at the EIA for season ticket holders. My wife and I drove to Erie to get our season tickets and meet some of the new players and some of last year's Otters. In addition, I had an opportunity to speak with Chris Hartsburg for a few minutes. I was impressed with Chris, and the entire Otter's organization. The event was well attended, which I think surprised some of the new guys. Overall, a great group of players!

Nothing Else Maattas

Oct 25, 2012
Erie, PA
Well expectations were low this year but 1-3 start coming home, but I'm just happy that they're back at the EIA tonight.
An early season game with Kitchener already matters let's go Otters!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad