Player Discussion Eric Staal (The Frickin' All-Star)

Status
Not open for further replies.

ThatGuy22

Oct 11, 2011
I hope someone would let him know how dumb that would be as well.
Playing in the CHL led to Staal's being select #2 overall twice, 12th overall and 49th overall. Certainly wouldn't shock me if they have a different perception of the CHL than us.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
I would be shocked if Staal sends his kids to Jr. rather than have him play HS, assuming his kids are good enough to make the team. If not, then they might got to a Breck, Hill Murray, or the like. If they are really good, then Shattuck.

CHL is a hard road. If your parents have the money to send you to a Shattuck or Hill, then you go that way, for sure.

ThatGuy22

Oct 11, 2011
I would be shocked if Staal sends his kids to Jr. rather than have him play HS, assuming his kids are good enough to make the team. If not, then they might got to a Breck, Hill Murray, or the like. If they are really good, then Shattuck.

CHL is a hard road. If your parents have the money to send you to a Shattuck or Hill, then you go that way, for sure.

I'm really not sure why you think a child of a Canadian hockey player, who played in the CHL would be adverse to sending their own kids there. It's not like he's been around MN for a decade to get into the romanticized nature of HS hockey around here.

Hell Tkachuk is an American who played HS hockey, and he sent his kids to the CHL.

Uberdachen

Posts Last 5 Minutes
Sep 5, 2012
Pants.

So his kids can go if he starts making Tyler "My direct deposit phone notification is the sound of laughter, choking, and then a thump" Ennis money?

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
I'm really not sure why you think a child of a Canadian hockey player, who played in the CHL would be adverse to sending their own kids there. It's not like he's been around MN for a decade to get into the romanticized nature of HS hockey around here.

Hell Tkachuk is an American who played HS hockey, and he sent his kids to the CHL.

Well, he's been in the States for close to 15 years. His kids were born here, and are American. Maybe he is and his wife are, also? I'm guessing they are. It does depend on his kids, and whether they are academically inclined, even a little bit. If so, you want to be doing the HS(i.e. Shattuck, STA, or town team, i.e. Edina, EP, Tonka, Lakeville, etc..), then college. Most parents, especially ones with $$, realize how important education is, and how tough it is to make it and stay in the NHL. It's really hard riding on buses hundreds of miles at a time in the WHL, and trying to get your classwork done at a high level of proficiency. Also, CHL hockey is a business, not so much a training ground for players. USA hockey is more based on the European model that develops skills, and favors practice time over games. Most former pros that i know are all about having their kids develop skills, not getting their kids faceplanted into the boards in Lethbridge.

You can always find examples of ex NHL'ers that send their kids to the CHL. In most cases, it's because their kids simply don't have the academic chops to go far in school....and by that, I mean it's tough for them to finish even HS.

Again, it's a hard road. The opposite case is where someone like Mittelstadt and Brinkman(Edina Junior 2019) turn down chances for CHL and USNDP because they simply don't want to leave home yet, and when they do finish HS go 15 miles down the road to the U. There's something to be said for that. It's not like the training is inferior, and they can always play high level competitive games in the summer/USHL outside of HS should they feel the need for some more competition.

Saga of the Elk

Honoured Person
May 31, 2008

Just Matt, Brady is in college.

I guess Staal's decision would depend on how the kids feel about it down the road, how likely it is they have pro talent. If it were me and you have the choice between CHL hockey in Sudbury or Prince George or a scholarship to an Ivy League school or a quality public program even, it's easy.

Reactions: 57special

ref88

Feb 14, 2018
Are his kids growing up here right now?

I think outside of the Jets there is no NHL franchise closer to Thunder Bay. Maybe the Leafs?

St. Paul is closer to Thunder Bay than Winnipeg and there are about 10 teams closer to Thunder Bay than Toronto :)

Reactions: Northerner

ref88

Feb 14, 2018

It's a bit different being in St. Louis than Minnesota. Those kids playing Tier1 travel several times a month anyway so they may as well head to the CHL or USHL.

Nharris31

Aug 9, 2013
Well this thread took an interesting turn.

He well be on after hours in Canada tonight.

Northerner

Feb 23, 2017
Their development program is incredible

Well...I guess. They just have 12 teams at every level to pick basically an all-star ALL STAR team when we're getting toward A bantam and of course Varsity.

There is no reason more Wild players shouldn't be living in/toward Woodbury/Afton (I heard Brett Hull and Phil Housley both have houses in Afton/Lakeland area - though I get they're retired so apples/oranges comparison there) or even Stillwater area. Heck, even White Bear/Mahtomedi (Dellwood has ten million dollar homes - Jesse Ventura and the President of Westgroup live there in probably 20 million dollar homes - North Oaks is home to Kevin Garnett's old home, and Kevin McHale, among others)

I don't know why a lot of these guys tend toward a more congested, Minneapolis suburb versus a St. Paul suburb that is fresher and less congested.

Obviously there is a reason for it. Not sure why though. (And Woodbury and Stillwater and WBL have solid track records for hockey production)

Wild11MN

First round losers
May 28, 2013
MN
Remember when Bruce said he would be our 1C going into training camp last year, and everyone was really skeptical about that and didn't really believe him? Good times.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad