Eric Staal or Cam Ward

NotOpie

"Puck don't lie"
Jun 12, 2006
North Carolina
Depends on what you mean by "most important".

Ron Francis signing here was a very important event in the Canes short history and has been here in some capacity ever since.
Rod Brind'Amour led this team to it's greatest achievement and was a great player during that time, and is also still here.
Cam Ward won the Conn Smythe for the team's greatest achievement.
Eric was the face of the franchise for many years as the team established itself.

Depends on when the clock on the Scott Darling era began...too soon?

As much as Cam contributed, I think it has to be a near toss up between Eric and Roddy.

Yes Roddy came and was a big contributor prior to the Cup season....but the Cup run, both players had incredible post-seasons - Staal w/9 goals and 28 points was the leading points guy and Brindy's 12 goals gave him the goal-scoring lead for the team. Both scored timely goals. However, in the last post-season this franchise has seen, Staal invented beast mode, at least in the context of this team. He literally carried this team on his back many nights and his playoff performance was epic. Additionally, in his 1st 10 seasons with the Canes Eric missed a grand total of 17 games, including five 82 game seasons and two 81 game seasons. Beginning w/the 2005-06 season he tallied 7 consecutive seasons of 20+ goals and at least 70 points (followed by a strike shortened season where he put up 53 points in 48 games). While Francis, Brind'Amour, and Ward were all critical to the team's identity here in Carolina, Staal was the face of the franchise and it's greatest performer for the longest period of time.

The Stranger

May 4, 2014
But this year has got me thinking, who is the most important Carolina Hurricane? Whalers not included, just the body of work during their time as a Hurricane..

Eric Staal
- Franchise first round draft pick
- All time leader in games played (909) - Brindy (694)
- All time leader in goals (322) - Brindy (174)
- All time leader in assists (453) - Brindy (299)
- Points leader in 2006 playoffs (28) - Brindy (18)
- Four time all star (for Carolina)
- Team Captain (2010-2016) - Brindy (2005-10)

Cam Ward
- All time leader in goalie games played (655) - Irbe (309)
- All time leader in wins (312) (27th in league history) - Irbe (130)
- Conn Smythe Trophy Winner
- Received votes for Vezina Trophy twice

The impressions of Staal and Ward are tainted by the team's overall poor performance since 2009 (I understand many will put a large share of the blame on them). I also understand the votes for Brind'Amour...great team captain...two time Selke winner.

I'd vote Staal 1, Ward 2, Brindy 3.

Reactions: Surrounded By Ahos

MinJaBen

Canes Sharks Boy
Sponsor
Dec 14, 2015
Durm
Eric Staal
- All time leader in games played (909) - Brindy (694)
- All time leader in goals (322) - Brindy (174)
- All time leader in assists (453) - Brindy (299)
- Points leader in 2006 playoffs (28) - Brindy (18)
- Four time all star (for Carolina)
- Team Captain (2010-2016) - Brindy (2005-10)

Cam Ward
- All time leader in goalie games played (655) - Irbe (309)
- All time leader in wins (312) (27th in league history) - Irbe (130)
- Conn Smythe Trophy Winner
- Received votes for Vezina Trophy twice

The impressions of Staal and Ward are tainted by the team's overall poor performance since 2009 (I understand many will put a large share of the blame on them). I also understand the votes for Brind'Amour...great team captain...two time Selke winner.

I'd vote Staal 1, Ward 2, Brindy 3.

All good points, but I think you are conflating best player with most important player. I'd say Staal is easily the best player we've ever had, but if the question was which was the most important player, then I think Brindy due to his contributions, not only in playing, but in legitimizing and leading the team to respectability.

The Stranger

May 4, 2014
All good points, but I think you are conflating best player with most important player. I'd say Staal is easily the best player we've ever had, but if the question was which was the most important player, then I think Brindy due to his contributions, not only in playing, but in legitimizing and leading the team to respectability.

I understand why some may "vote" for Brindy...I also understand that it's possible that the best player for the franchise may not necessarily be the most important.

However, I still say Staal...highest draft pick ever for the franchise...arguably best player for the franchise...prime mover in cup year as well as run to ECF...all-time leader in many key statistical categories...that's my pick.

NotOpie

"Puck don't lie"
Jun 12, 2006
North Carolina

If Eric Staal isn't on that Cup team, we don't get to the finals. If Eric Staal isn't on the 2008-09 team, we not only don't get into the playoffs, we lose in round 1.

Blueline Bomber

AI Generated Minnesota Wild
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007
If Eric Staal isn't on that Cup team, we don't get to the finals. If Eric Staal isn't on the 2008-09 team, we not only don't get into the playoffs, we lose in round 1.

If Brindamour didn't captain the team for as long as he did, Staal would have been the captain earlier, he would have revealed himself to be a poor leader earlier, and we would have moved on from him earlier.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad