Injury Report: Eric Fehr (hand)

GordieHoweHatTrick

Sep 20, 2009
Toronto
The Leafs were leading for most of the night. I would like to see the score adjusted numbers.

Oh, and Columbus is a superior team........

What about shot quality or number of scoring chances? The Leafs had a better 1st period, Blue Jackets a better 2nd, and by the 3rd period the Blue Jackets were putting everything on net behind one goal.

http://www.hockey-reference.com/boxscores/201703220CBJ.html#all_advanced

Chart above shows a lot of shots from the point for the Blue Jackets, while the Leafs were taking lots of shots from the circles and the slot.

Does CF% incorporate shot quality? In my opinion, shots alone mean nothing. Sure, it's indicative of who is maintaining possession, and possession does seem like the magic elixir of success, but, like you said, who is leading? Because if a team is pressing from one goal behind, and getting 10 shots on net without a goal, but it results in a couple 2-on-1s against that lead to one goal against, then CF% may look good but the score look bad.

I guess the point I'm starting to make is that any stat in isolation isn't going to paint a clear picture.

Last edited:

Slot

Mar 6, 2012
What about shot quality or number of scoring chances? The Leafs had a better 1st period, Blue Jackets a better 2nd, and by the 3rd period the Blue Jackets were putting everything on net behind one goal.

http://www.hockey-reference.com/boxscores/201703220CBJ.html#all_advanced

Chart above shows a lot of shots from the point for the Blue Jackets, while the Leafs were taking lots of shots from the circles and the slot.

Does CF% incorporate shot quality? In my opinion, shots alone mean nothing. Sure, it's indicative of who is maintaining possession, and possession does seem like the magic elixir of success, but, like you said, who is leading? Because if a team is pressing from one goal behind, and getting 10 shots on net without a goal, but it results in a couple 2-on-1s against that lead to one goal against, then CF% may look bad but the score look good.

I guess the point I'm starting to make is that any stat in isolation isn't going to paint a clear picture.

Corsi does not take into account shot quality, every shot is the same.

FreeBird

Dec 18, 2005
Well at least his Leafs career will be 1 game longer than Jared Cowen's.

Major loss for the Leafs he fit right in with the sluggo's Boyle and Martin, their physical presence was very apparent as they dominated every shift. Skill players don't fit with this group. Fehr was a real presence and had an outstanding playoff with the Penguins last spring.

therealkoho

Him/Leaf/fan
Jul 10, 2009
the Prior
That is not score adjusted, remember we were leading the whole game.

4th line also had 0% zone starts last game, they were always starting on their own end. They had a fine game.

well to be truthful I have no idea what any of those stats/charts are supposed to mean, nor do I care to know ............. if I've seen the game, I don't need a score sheet or a stat sheet to tell me if a guy has had a poor game, an average game, a good game or an excellent game! Two or three poor ones in a row, with six brainfarts leading to scoring chances, no production and no physical contribution usually gets the guy a seat in the pressbox.

hockey is a relatively simple game, I still don't get the need to try to baseballize with minutiae it in an attempt to make it seem more relevant and with the times is kinda.... oh i dunno:laugh:

most players could care less about that stuff, unless it effected their contract negotiations

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad