Eric Fehr....49, 50, 51.....and counting...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aaron Vickers

FCHockey
Mar 4, 2002
Calgary, AB
www.nhlentrydraft.com
Big Deaner said:
Ladd is not a better defensive player than Stone. Stone is one of the most effective forecheckers in the dub, is one of the top penalty killers in the dub, has 4 short handed goals this season and is a team leading +23. He is one of the most complete and defensively responsible players in the WHL.

I'd say Ladd is one of the most effective forecheckers in the league, and often forces turnovers/bad passes on opposing defenders simply because he's in so quick looking for the hit.

I'd also say he's a very effective penalty killer. Would Brent Sutter put him on the Canadian Junior penalty kill if he wasn't?

Big Deaner

Mar 6, 2003
Calgary
Visit site
Aaron Vickers said:
I'd say Ladd is one of the most effective forecheckers in the league, and often forces turnovers/bad passes on opposing defenders simply because he's in so quick looking for the hit.

I'd also say he's a very effective penalty killer. Would Brent Sutter put him on the Canadian Junior penalty kill if he wasn't?

I;m not saying Ladd is not an effective Penalty Killer or forechecker, I thought he did a decent job at the World Juniors, I was trying to say that I believe Stone does a better job in these areas.

sbtatter

Feb 27, 2005
Stone has a big heart on the ice as well, leads by example, he's a one man wrecking crew especially against physical teams such as the Blades. I was surprised he didn't make the junior team, especially with him being so accomplished at both ends of the ice. Goes to show what depth Sutter had to choose from, good for Brandon b/c both Stone and Fehr have been on a mission to prove Sutter wrong.

Block

Feb 14, 2005
Flames Draft Watcher said:
Huh? Last year he was still a year older than Brule is now.

He was all of 6 months older if that. Fehr is one or two weeks before the cutoff.

Chimaera

same ol' Caps
Feb 4, 2004
La Plata, Maryland
Vicious Vic said:
How do you argue with the selection process of a team that not only beat the stew out of everyone they faced, but very decisively won gold (and that goes for several of you posting in this thread)?

As much as I would've loved to see Fehr and particularly Stone there, it seems pretty cut and dry to me. Getzlaf is better than both of them and Sutter wanted Ladd for his checking lines, where he was a much better fit than Stone and Fehr.

It's like Herb Brooks' dad told him after Coach Reilly sent him home in '60 and they were watching the U.S. win gold on their living room couch: "I guess Reilly cut the right guy."

I'm not questioning the reason he was cut, because it might have been attitude. Who knows on that part. What I do know, is seeing him at Prospect Camp (which he did attend though didn't participate, and listening to a few video clips of him) he doesn't seem to be a real 'attitude problem'. I know he did want to make it this year badly, and did want to make it badly the year before.

What I did also read was there were reports of Fehr being shifted from his natural position through much of the camp. He also did not play up to his standards of most of his WHL career, but... I don't think he did that poorly from what I've read.

I don't know enough to say who he should have replaced, or who he's clearly better than. Though, I'm sure I could think of a few that could be arguably debated about.

I think what's happening here is Fehr is getting the short end of the stick on his other considerable talents, when all they see is his shot. Yes, he has a nice shot. But he's also shown to be relatively responsible in his own end, and is continuing to work on his own physical strength and other parts of his game that need work (skating, forecheck... etc)

And I don't think Fehr not being on the team, or whehter he was on the team, would have actually changed the outcome that much either way. He'd probably have added a few goals here or there, and maybe taking a guy like Ladd off would've let in one or two more, but I doubt Canada would lack a gold if Fehr was on the team.

In all actuality, Fehr not being on the team has worked for both parties. Canada still won, and Fehr's had a lot of motivation and fuel towards playing harder.

sbtatter

Feb 27, 2005
Fehr scored the winner tonight in Saskatoon...big win for the Wheaties, big goal for Fehr. It was a well taken goal, effort and skill combined...

borro

Oct 8, 2002
Texas
Visit site
andora said:
the only way fehr was making that team is if stone made it, and vice versa imo.. too dependent on eachother to make a team in a tourney like that...

big goalscorer yeah, but like several other huge scorers (corey perry, nigel dawes, patrick o'sullivan) he'll have to word damn hard to translate his game to the pro level... (nhl i mean)

Fehr was seperated from Stone and continued to score. Stone suffered more than Fehr did. They have since been reunited and Fehr has taken off. I like Stone alot. Pens stole him in the 2nd.

Captain Conservative

Apr 1, 2004
My Blue Heaven
borro said:
Fehr was seperated from Stone and continued to score. Stone suffered more than Fehr did. They have since been reunited and Fehr has taken off. I like Stone alot. Pens stole him in the 2nd.

Pfft. I think he was taken at about the right position @ 31st.

Big Deaner

Mar 6, 2003
Calgary
Visit site
borro said:

They have not been reunited. The only time they play with each other is on the PP or in overtime. Stone plays with Monych and usually Leblanc. Fehr plays with Jakub Sindel and Tim Konsorada.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad