Eric Fehr....49, 50, 51.....and counting...

Status
Not open for further replies.

BigAl

Oct 3, 2002
Visit site
Today Eric Fehr scored his 51st goal to complete a natural hatrick against the Regina Pats. He is hardly ever spoken of here, and seems to have very little hype surrounding him. I don't see any reason why he won't produce 40-50 goals in the NHL one day, especially if he ends up playing with Ovechkin. Where's the hype? Does anyone see any flaws in his game, that might constitute a lack of interest in him? I see Mike Bossy in this kid!!

bruins4777*

He didn't make team canada and apparently thats all that matters.

EroCaps

Aug 24, 2003
Virginia
BigAl said:
Today Eric Fehr scored his 51st goal to complete a natural hatrick against the Regina Pats. He is hardly ever spoken of here, and seems to have very little hype surrounding him. I don't see any reason why he won't produce 40-50 goals in the NHL one day, especially if he ends up playing with Ovechkin. Where's the hype? Does anyone see any flaws in his game, that might constitute a lack of interest in him? I see Mike Bossy in this kid!!

Well, there have been more than a handful of prospects to score 90-100 pts in the WHL and fall off the face of the earth.

His shot is world class, we'll just have to see.

55-60 Gs, and 100+ pts would be nice.

sbtatter

Feb 27, 2005
His attitude prevented him making Team Canada. Ironically enough, that might have been the best thing for him, showed him he can't get by on his talent alone. Ryan Stone should have made that team though :madfire:

andora

Apr 23, 2002
Victoria
the only way fehr was making that team is if stone made it, and vice versa imo.. too dependent on eachother to make a team in a tourney like that...

big goalscorer yeah, but like several other huge scorers (corey perry, nigel dawes, patrick o'sullivan) he'll have to word damn hard to translate his game to the pro level... (nhl i mean)

CRUNK JUICE

Nov 19, 2002
Austin, TX
webspace.utexas.edu
Chimaera said:
That he didn't make it is a crock.

How do you argue with the selection process of a team that not only beat the stew out of everyone they faced, but very decisively won gold (and that goes for several of you posting in this thread)?

As much as I would've loved to see Fehr and particularly Stone there, it seems pretty cut and dry to me. Getzlaf is better than both of them and Sutter wanted Ladd for his checking lines, where he was a much better fit than Stone and Fehr.

It's like Herb Brooks' dad told him after Coach Reilly sent him home in '60 and they were watching the U.S. win gold on their living room couch: "I guess Reilly cut the right guy."

Block

Feb 14, 2005
How do you figure he's dependant on Stone? When he's moved off the guy's line he still scores at the same pace.

Sabes

Feb 27, 2002
Saskatchewan
Visit site
Block said:
How do you figure he's dependant on Stone? When he's moved off the guy's line he still scores at the same pace.
If I was going to say something like that it's more the other way around. When Stone plays with Fehr Stone puts up points, but when he's not playing with him he puts up way less. Stone's a good player but having Eric Fehr with him is sure helping this kid.

usiel

Where wolf’s ears are, wolf’s teeth are near.
Sponsor
Jul 29, 2002
Klendathu
www.myspace.com
From the Caps rookie camp last summer all the reports on him were they he did have good top end speed..don't know about his acceleration though...was more a conditioning thing with him as he got winded pretty quick.

As a caps fan I'm fine with Fehr being under the radar...less pressure on the kid. Lets hope that Tim Army doesn't try to morph him into a 3rd line grinder, lol.

Aaron Vickers

FCHockey
Mar 4, 2002
Calgary, AB
www.nhlentrydraft.com
Vicious Vic said:
As much as I would've loved to see Fehr and particularly Stone there, it seems pretty cut and dry to me. Getzlaf is better than both of them and Sutter wanted Ladd for his checking lines, where he was a much better fit than Stone and Fehr.

QUOTE]

I'd hardly call the line of Getzlaf-Carter-Ladd a checking line. Ladd was put on this line, a scoring line, and did very well on it.

Block

Feb 14, 2005
If I was going to say something like that it's more the other way around. When Stone plays with Fehr Stone puts up points, but when he's not playing with him he puts up way less. Stone's a good player but having Eric Fehr with him is sure helping this kid.

Thats what I meant, sorry I wasn't clear. Fehr makes his linemates better because of the attention paid to him.

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
eh i'd be hesitant about anointing him a 50+ goal scorer in the NHL at this point just cuz he scored 50+ in juniors...you'd have to argue long and hard and very convincingly to get me to agree he's more skilled than kovulchuk, and kovulchuk lead the NHL with only 41 goals last year...

maybe some rule changes will open things back up again and we'll see more 50 goal scorers...dunno, i just have a hard time projecting someone to be an elite goal scorer at the NHL level based off of their production at a junior level or something.

but he's obviously doing very well this season and is a good prospect, we'll see

Flames Draft Watcher

Feb 27, 2002
Calgary
Visit site
BigAl said:

Pavel Brendl scored over 70 goals in the same league at a younger age.

How come he isn't scoring 70+ in the NHL?

Projecting Fehr as a 40-50 goal scorer in the NHL is illogical and ambitious.

Block

Feb 14, 2005
I didn't see anyone saying he was better than Kovalchuk or saying he'd score 50 in the NHL, just that he was better than he's getting credit for. You also have to look at the fact that he's scoring at a much higher pace than Brule, who's a highly touted prospect and did so last year as well since you're going to claim age difference.

Edit: I missed the part in the first post where he said 40-50 in the NHL. I'm not sure I agree with that but I could see 30-40.

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
yeah i was replying to the statement that there's no reason he won't score 40-50

ehh honestly it's tough, sure he has talent but can he do it at the pro level? if he can do it in the NHL like he can in the WHL, then yeah 30-50 is on. but that's a big leap of faith...i like to see how guys play in the AHL first at least to get an idea, most guys take a pretty big hit scoring wise making the jump to the AHL, much less the NHL

assuming he makes it, having ovechkin with him 5 years down the road will help his stats no doubt if they're playing together

John

May 25, 2004
Pavel Brendl played with guys like Kris Beech and Brad Moran. He also hung out at the blue line and played zero defense. Fehr is actually pretty good defensively for a guy that scores a ton.

Fehr's production has gone up since he's played with Sindel. If he'd been healthy to start the year(he played with a wrist injury) and had played a full season with his current linemates, it's scary to think where he'd be.

Nothing against Ryan Stone, but he's not the offensive player that some of these other guys have had on their line. Think what Fehr could do if he played with someone like Getzlaf, Brule, or Yellow Horn.

Fehr didn't play at this past rookie camp, so the reports referred to are from 2003. He's grown an inch and gained 20 lbs. He worked hard this past summer and is still growing. I don't think his skating will be an issue. He's faster than he gets credit for. Alot of taller players fool people because they're taking longer strides.

Big Deaner

Mar 6, 2003
Calgary
Visit site
Sabes said:

Stone and Fehr are not dependant on or carrying one other at all. Evidence of this is their play as of late. Stone has 6 goals and 7 assists in his last 6 games and Fehr has 5 goals and 3 assists in his last three games. During this time (and basically since Christmas) Stone and Fehr have not played on the same line as one another. Stone plays on a line with Lance Monych and Derek Leblanc and Fehr plays with Jakub Sindel and Tim Konsorada. The only time Stone and Fehr would be caught on the ice together as of late is on a powerplay. Also, Fehr just won player of the week for the WHL today. Ryan Stone won WHL player of the week last week. Fehr and Stone were not playing together during this time disproving the dependancy theory.

Big Deaner

Mar 6, 2003
Calgary
Visit site
Vicious Vic said:
Getzlaf is better than both of them and Sutter wanted Ladd for his checking lines

Ladd is not a better defensive player than Stone. Stone is one of the most effective forecheckers in the dub, is one of the top penalty killers in the dub, has 4 short handed goals this season and is a team leading +23. He is one of the most complete and defensively responsible players in the WHL.

Sabes

Feb 27, 2002
Saskatchewan
Visit site
Big Deaner said:
Stone and Fehr are not dependant on or carrying one other at all. Evidence of this is their play as of late. Stone has 6 goals and 7 assists in his last 6 games and Fehr has 5 goals and 3 assists in his last three games. During this time (and basically since Christmas) Stone and Fehr have not played on the same line as one another. Stone plays on a line with Lance Monych and Derek Leblanc and Fehr plays with Jakub Sindel and Tim Konsorada. The only time Stone and Fehr would be caught on the ice together as of late is on a powerplay. Also, Fehr just won player of the week for the WHL today. Ryan Stone won WHL player of the week last week. Fehr and Stone were not playing together during this time disproving the dependancy theory.

They were re-untied while Sindel was out for awhile there and they still do get put together sometimes during the games. But like you said they play the PP together and that is where pretty much 1/2 their points come from

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->