Eric Crawford unappreciation thread

Price is Wright

Feb 5, 2010
essex
Do you have the full list with Byron, Danault, Petry, Weise, Deslauriers, Reilly, etc..

It's not going to be pretty but I'd like to see just how bad the full list is.

Deslauriers is probably the top of his accomplishments as he started in August of 2016.

Danault is said to be all Bergevin as he helped scout and draft him in Chicago.

Thinking Drouin can be a 1C immediately is bad pro scouting.

Reilly is way too early kind of like how you're not mentioning Benn when people were excited about him last year at this time.

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
Bergevin was acquired at the trade deadline from Pittsburgh and played a whopping 9 games with the Canucks. Eric Crawford was an assistant coach with the Canucks' AHL affiliate during Bergevin's brief stint with the Canucks. It's unlikely that their paths crossed at that time.

Bergevin was a journeyman who played for 20 years on 8 different NHL teams, plus a handful of AHL and IHL teams. He probably played with hundreds of different players during this time and was coached and managed by over a hundred. Anyone with a career that long with so many different teams will have formed many contacts.

Was Eric Crawford a contact of Bergevin's before he was hired? Possibly. But it's unlikely that he was a friend. And it's also likely that most candidates for the role, both good and bad, would also have been contacts of Bergevin.

The "nepotism" card has been way overplayed with regard to Bergevin.
Total BS on the nepotism. The evidence could not be clearer.

Reactions: dralaf

the valiant effort

settle down, bud
Apr 17, 2017
I don't know if this has much to do with Crawford. Bargainbin has been pretty consistent since 2012. Crawford could have just as likely told Bergy that his guys think Dwight King, for example, is done to which Bergevin decides King will be desperate to impress for UFA that summer. It's not really fair to infer that Crawford is calling up Bergy in the middle of the night telling him we seriously need to offer Streit a contract.

Price is Wright

Feb 5, 2010
essex
He might fall more into "well liked guy who failed elsewhere" as he started as a scout after Vancouver fired him. Sean Burke is a pro scout here after being fired by Arizona where he was an assistant GM. New York fired Lacroix and we scooped him up.

What's funny to me is that the last trade before he was fired in Vancouver was the Kassian/Prust deal.

Shabs

Nov 16, 2017
Call it nepotism, call it a country club atmosphere. Heads should be rolling at the habs org but they are not so something stinks.

Crawford hire is right out of business 101: never hire anyone more competent than you who will make you look bad to your superiors. Considering how incompetent bozovin is, imagine who he hires.

I started a thread a while ago listing people in the org who should stay and who should go. Pretty much the only people who got votes to stay were Waite, Timmins and Muller iirc.

Price is Wright

Feb 5, 2010
essex
Call it nepotism, call it a country club atmosphere. Heads should be rolling at the habs org but they are not so something stinks.

Crawford hire is right out of business 101: never hire anyone more competent than you who will make you look bad to your superiors. Considering how incompetent bozovin is, imagine who he hires.

I started a thread a while ago listing people in the org who should stay and who should go. Pretty much the only people who got votes to stay were Waite, Timmins and Muller iirc.

I would keep Christer Rockstrom and Stephen Waite. That's about it. The guy who convinced Timmins to pick Primeau did it as a last scouting report before retirement. Timmins said he was pushing for him to be taken earlier but he felt the organization had too many goalies. When he fell to 7th he finally decided he should. I'm sure he will be another pick Timmins gets credit for when he almost lost out on him.

Reactions: Shabs

Natey

GOATS
Aug 2, 2005
You're right about Crawford role this was an error form my part and it's true that this was a minor stint for Bergy, but that's still a connection. You can bond with someone not long after only few times, anyway this is speculation.

What I meant is that he played with Martin Lapointe, Rob Ramage, Scott Mellanby and worked with Rick Dudley in Chicago and now this connection with Crawford. This is almost all senior management roles with the Habs. The only exculsions are Larry Carriere and Sedgwick.

At this point it's alot and I don't think it's just because he had a long carreer with multiple teams.
Yeah on their off days they would drive from different towns to a neutral location to chill.

justafan22

Jun 22, 2014
Shaw, Weber, Drouin and Alzner are the big 4 of crawford's tenure.

Loss, Tie at best, Loss, and disaster of a signing so far.

Habs Icing

Formerly Onice
Jan 17, 2004
Montreal
Shaw, Weber, Drouin and Alzner are the big 4 of crawford's tenure.

Loss, Tie at best, Loss, and disaster of a signing so far.
Are you sure about that? Someone else posted that Crawford was hired as pro scout director in August 2016 replacing Vaughn Karpan . So let's see the transactions that he may have been involved in acquiring:
Benn - a fail
Davidson - a win MB lost him
Martinsen - a fail
Dwight - a fail
Ott - a wash
Drouin - dumb usage
Alzner - a fail
Hemsky - a fail
Streit - a fail
Niemi - a win
Rychel - to be revisited
Valiev - to be revisited
Reilly - to be revisited
Jerabek - a win

After a little research I noticed that Vaughn Karpan was here prior to the Crawford hiring so he was in on the Shaw and Weber trades. Since leaving the Habs he was director of player development for the Vegas Golden Knights. Make what you want of that.

Last edited:
Reactions: Vachon23

Price is Wright

Feb 5, 2010
essex
But do you have names that could make a great job there ?

That's not our job. People are paid exceptional amounts of money to delegate responsibilities and get the best people for the organization. Instead we have Bergevin, Mellanby, Lapointe, Lefebvre, Lacroix, Dudley, Crawford, and more who wouldn't even be called average in the league at their jobs.

Reactions: dralaf

Vachon23

Oct 14, 2015
Victoriaville
That's not our job. People are paid exceptional amounts of money to delegate responsibilities and get the best people for the organization. Instead we have Bergevin, Mellanby, Lapointe, Lefebvre, Lacroix, Dudley, Crawford, and more who wouldn't even be called average in the league at their jobs.

we can speculate

Price is Wright

Feb 5, 2010
essex
we can speculate

I would remember this is the third richest hockey club in the world (second is the Leafs, first is the Russian government funded CKSA) and raid a team that has a great pro scout. I don't who does it in Minnesota but I've liked their pro scouting moves.

Captain Mountain

Formerly Captain Wolverine
Jun 6, 2010
I don't know if this has much to do with Crawford. Bargainbin has been pretty consistent since 2012. Crawford could have just as likely told Bergy that his guys think Dwight King, for example, is done to which Bergevin decides King will be desperate to impress for UFA that summer. It's not really fair to infer that Crawford is calling up Bergy in the middle of the night telling him we seriously need to offer Streit a contract.

In fairness to Bergevin, he at least made some good moves prior to Crawford joining the org.

Also in fairness, we don't know if Crawford supported the recent moves made by Bergevin. Bergevin also hired him and, presumably because he hired him, listened to him.

Vachon23

Oct 14, 2015
Victoriaville
I would remember this is the third richest hockey club in the world (second is the Leafs, first is the Russian government funded CKSA) and raid a team that has a great pro scout. I don't who does it in Minnesota but I've liked their pro scouting moves.

Blair Mackasey ? yess he would be a good option if he want to come, he has work with Team Canada U20 and U-18 between 2002 and 2006 He was even the GM in 2005-2006

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad