Prospect Info: Eric Cornel (2014, 44th) – '18-19: Rochester #20 (AHL)

ottawah

Jan 7, 2011
He is scoring at a pretty similar clip to Dal Colle this year. The kid can skate well enough, he'll have a chance to make it. A lot of the time, you see these overagers putting up big numbers and people get excited, but they will never be able to skate well enough to find a niche in the NHL. I don't think that is the case here.

Cornel is not an overager. Still could be back for one more year. And he skates well enough for the OHL, and the AHL. For the NHL he needs to find another gear for the type of player he will likely need to become to suceed.

Dal Colle is probably a bad comparison. The trade did wonders for him, because he was horrific beforehand.

WpgBuffan

Jun 9, 2008
I don't see the same toolset though to make a comparable with Bailey as a prospect. Does that mean Cornel never makes it? No. Just raw numbers do not illustrate the difference in how they are built.

I have never disagreed with anything you have ever said on here before. I like Bailey"s sill set more as well but I think Cornel is going to surprise.

Paxon

202* Stanley Cup Champions
Jul 13, 2003
Rochester, NY
Can he move well? Don't really get to watch him.

Yes. He definitely moves well. It's the least of the concerns with him at the next the pro level. He's worthy of a deal.

To the rest of the convo, we have a lot of guys coming up as RFAs who will or should be let go. Makarov, Jacobs, Nevins, and Leduc seem like no-brainers to not tender. Lieuwen is more a question of what Murray sees at the position with the moving parts there. I'd say he's likely gone. Catenacci and Varone are RFA's. It wouldn't be surprising to see one or both walk, especially Varone as he's already 25 with the look of a career AHL tweener. Catenacci looked good in his call-up but at 22 there's a big question as to whether he will develop into an NHL roleplayer. Then of course there are the UFA's. The point is there are spots enough to spend on a recent 2nd rounder with a good skill level, even if one doesn't have a high degree of faith in him as a prospect. If Murray has lost faith the best thing to do would be to give him a contract then throw him in a deal. He surely has some value.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
I have never disagreed with anything you have ever said on here before. I like Bailey"s sill set more as well but I think Cornel is going to surprise.

What Cornel does is more crafty and perimeter than Bailey -- Bailey's appeal is stride and release in a big frame. That's what I mean by toolset differences.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Yes. He definitely moves well. It's the least of the concerns with him at the next the pro level. He's worthy of a deal.

To the rest of the convo, we have a lot of guys coming up as RFAs who will or should be let go. Makarov, Jacobs, Nevins, and Leduc seem like no-brainers to not tender. Lieuwen is more a question of what Murray sees at the position with the moving parts there. I'd say he's likely gone. Catenacci and Varone are RFA's. It wouldn't be surprising to see one or both walk, especially Varone as he's already 25 with the look of a career AHL tweener. Catenacci looked good in his call-up but at 22 there's a big question as to whether he will develop into an NHL roleplayer. Then of course there are the UFA's. The point is there are spots enough to spend on a recent 2nd rounder with a good skill level, even if one doesn't have a high degree of faith in him as a prospect. If Murray has lost faith the best thing to do would be to give him a contract then throw him in a deal. He surely has some value.

At this point, all of them should probably go. Cat might, might be one to keep, but Jacobs and Nevins need not return. I would expect Varone to become one of those vet AHLers who are in demand every summer from teams trying to ice competitive teams, able to shop his services around.

They do need skill down there and it is probably Cornel who can offer that -- moreso than say Vaclav Karabacek who I was hoping might put it together with Moncton but has not.

LaxSabre

Apr 19, 2006
North Tonawanda, NY
@SabresProspects -

Eric Cornel snaps his eight-game goal drought with an empty-netter as Peterborough defeats Barrie 4-2. 1 G + 1 A tonight. 66 GP - 27 G - 53 A - 80 PTS.

Woodhouse

Dec 20, 2007
New York, NY
Cornel's top-20 in ES scoring for the CHL. A tad more goals and he'd be higher up the list below, but I've never really seen him as a goal scorer at the pro levels either. Speed and skill is there.

LaxSabre

Apr 19, 2006
North Tonawanda, NY
@SabresProspects -

Cornel 5 SOG and a roughing minor as Peterborough falls in OT to North Bay 2-1. Petes trail the first-round series 3-2.
Game 6 is back in Peterborough on Sunday, April 3 - 7:00 pm ET.
If Petes win there - Game 7 - to be played in North Bay - on Tuesday, April 5 - 7:00 pm ET.

LaxSabre

Apr 19, 2006
North Tonawanda, NY
@SabresProspects -

Eric Cornel (5GP/0G/4A/4PTS/-3) and Peterborough trail North Bay 3-2 in their first round series. Petes at home tonight for Game Six.

Cornel firing shots from every angle early in search of his first goal of the series as the Petes look to stave off elimination vs North Bay.

Mike Amadio (LAK) seems destined to end Peterboroughs year. Scored OT winner Friday, has pair tonight to put North Bay up 2-0. And yes, loved him in 2014 draft.

Yupper. Hat trick for Amadio. Peterborough now trail North Bay 3-0.

We have a game after all. Petes get a pair late in the second period to make it a 3-2 deficit. Cornel not in on any of the goals.

The teams keep scoring -just traded goals and now it's 5-4 Petes with 6:11 to go in the third period. No body slams, just a good ole fashioned game of shinny.

Eric Cornel crosses center and puts his first of the series into the empty net with 1:26 left in the third period. Peterborough 6 North Bay 4.

Another empty-netter as former Sabres development camper Brandon Prophet gets his second of the night. Petes win 7-5. Game #7 Tuesday in North Bay.

Cornel has been really good in the series despite not getting into goal column until tonight. Petes need their captain to come up big Tuesday.

LaxSabre

Apr 19, 2006
North Tonawanda, NY
Eric Cornel Rochester bound this week? Peterborough loses Game #7 tonight to North Bay 4-1.

@SabresProspects - Final playoff stats for Cornel - 7 Games Played - 1 Goal - 4 Assists - 5 Points - 3 Plus/Minus - 2 Penalties/4 Minutes Total.

Last edited:

LaxSabre

Apr 19, 2006
North Tonawanda, NY

@PetesOHLhockey - Two Petes forwards have been named finalists for 2015/2016 @OHLHockey awards.

Eric Cornel is a finalist for the William Hanley Trophy (Most Sportsmanlike Player of the Year).

Cornel, who served as captain in his fourth OHL campaign, had a career year.
The Buffalo Sabres prospect played in all 68 games this year, netting 27 goals, 56 assists, and 83 points along with a +19.
The Kemptville, Ontario native has signed an entry-level contract with the Sabres, and is currently playing for their AHL affiliate in Rochester.

http://gopetesgo.com/article/cornel-and-garlent-finalists-for-2015-16-ohl-awards

Zip15

Jun 3, 2009
Bodymore
By "doing well," you must mean "playing." I think "unremarkable" is a better adjective. Never liked this pick.

CatsforReinhart

Jul 27, 2014
Frankfurt
Because there were so many viable options in the 2014 2nd round... :shakehead

Really? Everyone is a bust? lol.

Roland McKeown, Brandon Montour and Jack Dougherty come to mind. The fact that we have needed defence even makes that pick worse and yes I mentioned them in 2014.

Along with the Karabacek pick not sure what Murray was doing

stokes84

Jun 30, 2008
Charleston, SC

Roland McKeown, Brandon Montour and Jack Dougherty come to mind. The fact that we have needed defence even makes that pick worse and yes I mentioned them in 2014.

Some real difference makers right there. :sarcasm:

They were going for a top 6 forward, that's how the draft crumbles in the 2nd round.

I do find it interesting that the same people that want to crush Murray for his 2nd round picks in 2014, which was a virtual crapshoot, are the same ones who ardently defend the a Reinhart selection.

Last edited:

Dingo44

We already won the trade
Sponsor
Jul 21, 2015
Greensboro, NC
I could say the same about your insightful post. :naughty:

Well, you make no arguments why other than it confirms your anger at the pick. Cornel had a great year last year in juniors and he's playing his first year of AHL hockey. I haven't seen him play down there - but if you have and can give a scouting report on specific reasons why he is showing limited potential for growth down there I'd love to hear it.

jc17

Jun 14, 2013

I didn't mind the cornel pick, but I never really understood karabacek.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad