Prospect Info: Eric Cornel (2014, 44th) – '18-19: Rochester #20 (AHL)

ottawah

Jan 7, 2011
I still think he looks OK as a prospect.

The biggest knock on him the last 1.5 years from my viewings is the lack of intensity/urgency in his game. That he had in the last 1/3 season going into his draft year, so I feel it is there, he just has to be properly pushed, and that has to come from him.

His skill is there. I actually find his game is not dissimilar to Baileys, although his lack of great size (still > NHL average) is the big difference. Their numbers for junior are not too different, they both have great releases, are pretty good skaters, and both have lacked the high tempo game that has limited their output relative to their skill.

Cornel has some decent tangible skills as well.

The next two years are extraordinarily important for his development.

Zman5778

Oct 4, 2005
Cressona/Reading, PA
His skill is there. I actually find his game is not dissimilar to Baileys, although his lack of great size (still > NHL average) is the big difference. Their numbers for junior are not too different, they both have great releases, are pretty good skaters, and both have lacked the high tempo game that has limited their output relative to their skill.

Cornel has some decent tangible skills as well.

The next two years are extraordinarily important for his development.

My question is -- does he go back for his overage year, or does he sign an ELC and hope to make the Amerks next year?

Tough call.

Moskau

Jun 30, 2004
WNY
My question is -- does he go back for his overage year, or does he sign an ELC and hope to make the Amerks next year?

Tough call.
AHL. He's going to need the full 3 years down there IMO. Could see his situation being similar to Shane Prince.

He reminds me of Tim Connolly with 1/4 the stick handling. The version of Tim Connolly that was actually decent defensively but not the version of Tim Connolly who was becoming a great player before skating into Peter Schaefer's shoulder.

Maybe a lite version of Marcus Johansson is a better comparable.

Ace

Oct 29, 2015
That they gave him a look in the AHL already kind of already tells the story to me. He will be there next year and take the normal development path of second round picks.

truthbluth

Feb 2, 2011
I'm glad that he'll at least get an ELC. It didn't look good after last season, but now I think he's a pretty safe bet for a contract.

Last edited:

Husko

Jun 30, 2006
Greenwich, CT
I don't see any reason he wouldn't be in the AHL next year. He's not nearly as terrible as some people think he is :laugh:

I'd say his development is pretty much on track for what you'd expect out of a 2nd round pick. He's never been my favorite prospect, but he's pretty much doing what you'd expect of him.

Ace

Oct 29, 2015
He's not my favorite prospect either but I don't look at that 2014 draft after the first round as any great shakes either. I'm not surprised the 2015 draft has already seen a couple guys take a big step forward in their development either. In part just because Murray was actually here for the whole year and was able to settle into his new job a little while learning about his scouts

ottawah

Jan 7, 2011

Tough call.

Top players are pretty much never going back for an OA year. If you are back for an OA year, that generally means your hockey career is pretty much over, and I do not think that is where Cornel is yet. A few manage it, but very very few.

LaxSabre

Apr 19, 2006
North Tonawanda, NY
@SabresProspects -
Eric Cornel scored his 22nd goal in Peterborough's 3-2 loss at Ottawa. Points in eight of his last nine, 55 pts/48 GP, 113 SOG (8th in OHL)

LaxSabre

Apr 19, 2006
North Tonawanda, NY
@SabresProspects -
Eric Cornel with a pair of assists as his Petes trail Hamilton 3-2 - End 2nd. 24-37-61 - Game #53.
Eric Cornel adds a third helper as Petes tie it up 3-3 at HAM. Just missed 4th helper in final minute. OT now. 62 points ties previous best set in 2013-2014 season.

LaxSabre - Petes win the game 4-3 on a overtime goal by Danny Nikandrov.

LaxSabre

Apr 19, 2006
North Tonawanda, NY

Peterborough captain Eric Cornel (2014, second round) continued his season-long surge last week, collecting two goals and six points as the Petes won twice in three tries to inch closer to locking up a playoff spot in the Ontario Hockey League’s Eastern Conference.

Cornel notched his third consecutive three-point effort Thursday, snatching a goal and two helpers as the Petes claimed a 5-4 victory over Kingston. After netting an assist on the first goal of the game, Cornel gave the Petes a 2-0 lead with 1:11 remaining in the opening frame when secured a rebound and scored with a pretty wraparound.

Cornel kept it going Friday by connecting for a pair of assists in Peterborough’s 6-4 win at Sudbury. On the first one, he made a nice play along the boards after just missing a deflection to help set up the Petes’ first goal of the game. He’d later pressure a defender to pick up a helper on an empty-netter in final minute.

On Sunday, Cornel cruised through the slot and tipped home his career-best 26th goal of the year as his Petes were drilled 9-3 at North Bay. The marker gives Cornel points in six-straight contests, the second longest streak of his productive season to date.

Cornel has gotten on the score sheet in 11 of his last 12 games, thrusting him into the team’s point lead with 71 through 57 games.

Dingo44

We already won the trade
Sponsor
Jul 21, 2015
Greensboro, NC
It sure seems like he's thriving as the captain of the Petes. Three consecutive three-point games is impressive.

Yet I read a lot of people here say he blows and isn't progressing. Oh well.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
It sure seems like he's thriving as the captain of the Petes. Three consecutive three-point games is impressive.

Yet I read a lot of people here say he blows and isn't progressing. Oh well.

He's a fourth year forward -- he should be dominating on the stat sheet. This is the time when 20-year old players should be tearing the league a new one. He at least has started to answer some of his offensive potential, but now the question is, is it because he's able to exploit his physical maturity and experience or has the light finally clicked and he can take a step forward to be a contract-worthy pro? Next year, he's not going to be able to exploit younger, weaker, less experienced players -- he will be the younger, weaker, less experienced player.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
He's a fourth year forward -- he should be dominating on the stat sheet. This is the time when 20-year old players should be tearing the league a new one. He at least has started to answer some of his offensive potential, but now the question is, is it because he's able to exploit his physical maturity and experience or has the light finally clicked and he can take a step forward to be a contract-worthy pro? Next year, he's not going to be able to exploit younger, weaker, less experienced players -- he will be the younger, weaker, less experienced player.

I do find it kind of eerie that Cornel is 13th in the OHL in scoring this season and Ryan MacInnis has one more point given where the two of them went in the draft.

I think Cornel is worth a contract. Who knows where he tops out. But, I would roll the dice on Cornel over re-signing a handful of the RFAs that are in the minors today. Colin Jacobs is near the top of that list.

I'm also surprised at where MDC & JHS are in the OHL scoring race.

Husko

Jun 30, 2006
Greenwich, CT

I agree with pretty much all of this, but he's pretty much a no-brainer in terms of getting contract.

ottawah

Jan 7, 2011

He just looks like a good player out there. Not flashy, but solid in all areas of the ice. Would like to see some skating improvement, but still a solid prospect.

For those worried about his "stats", just remember he has generally been the equivelant or better than Bailey every year in the OHL (adjusted one year down for draft year), including this year (vs Bailey last year).

My question will be how he translates the other parts to his game to the next level (as I do not see him as a scorer in the NHL). I believe his likely upper end is a 3/4 center, good size, good defense, but just not physical nor fast enough to be a 1/2. He will need a few years in the AHL refining that part of the game.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
I agree with pretty much all of this, but he's pretty much a no-brainer in terms of getting contract.

He just looks like a good player out there. Not flashy, but solid in all areas of the ice. Would like to see some skating improvement, but still a solid prospect.

For those worried about his "stats", just remember he has generally been the equivelant or better than Bailey every year in the OHL (adjusted one year down for draft year), including this year (vs Bailey last year).

My question will be how he translates the other parts to his game to the next level (as I do not see him as a scorer in the NHL). I believe his likely upper end is a 3/4 center, good size, good defense, but just not physical nor fast enough to be a 1/2. He will need a few years in the AHL refining that part of the game.

I expect he gets a contract, it's what impact can he have that remains the question for me. I expect him to replace someone like Varone in Rochester next year.

Husko

Jun 30, 2006
Greenwich, CT
He actually strikes me as the perfect type of player to funnel through here, do well, and go on the flop elsewhere. Someone like Moulson that can be a total passenger, but put up big numbers with an elite center, then get his payday elsewhere because he's a disposable winger, and be a total bust. Of course even all of that is probably too high of expectations for his pro career :laugh:

WpgBuffan

Jun 9, 2008

He doesn't turn 20 until April. He is progression is pretty similar to Bailey from last year

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
He doesn't turn 20 until April. He is progression is pretty similar to Bailey from last year

I don't see the same toolset though to make a comparable with Bailey as a prospect. Does that mean Cornel never makes it? No. Just raw numbers do not illustrate the difference in how they are built.

ottawah

Jan 7, 2011
I don't see the same toolset though to make a comparable with Bailey as a prospect. Does that mean Cornel never makes it? No. Just raw numbers do not illustrate the difference in how they are built.

Its not so much people are directly comparing him to Bailey as a player, but pointing out that his stats are perfectly acceptable for a prospect at this point in his career. Some people seem to think they should be higher for him to be a valid prospect, but pointing out that he has been a better player than Bailey throughout his junior career is simply a way of pointing out that his production is not an issue moving forward.

Different players, both will have to make the league as a different type of player.

I know I can stat watch as well, but for me it is about a floor production. Near every defensive forward, stay at home D man, solid 4th liner was a scoring star in junior. Very few make the NHL who were not. Low scoring in the junior/USHL ranks very often implies a general lack of skill/toolset to suceed at the NHL level. But it is not linear, once you hit a certain point it comes down to other things.

Cornel has shown the offensive capabilities I want to see as a player who can make the NHL., not that he will be an offensive force, but because it shows other characteristics (shot, puck control, awareness, intelligence) that are required.

SabresBillsBuffalo

May 4, 2010
Buffalo
He has surprised me this year. Had eh expectations on the kid.

I like the plethora of young guys we can count on as call up or roster round outs. Just need to get the high end talent.

stokes84

Jun 30, 2008
Charleston, SC
He is scoring at a pretty similar clip to Dal Colle this year. The kid can skate well enough, he'll have a chance to make it. A lot of the time, you see these overagers putting up big numbers and people get excited, but they will never be able to skate well enough to find a niche in the NHL. I don't think that is the case here.

SabresBillsBuffalo

May 4, 2010
Buffalo
He is scoring at a pretty similar clip to Dal Colle this year. The kid can skate well enough, he'll have a chance to make it. A lot of the time, you see these overagers putting up big numbers and people get excited, but they will never be able to skate well enough to find a niche in the NHL. I don't think that is the case here.
Can he move well? Don't really get to watch him.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad