Injury Report: Eric Belanger on IR, Paajarvi Recalled

nexttothemoon

and again...
Jan 30, 2010
Northern AB
The Oilers should just line up in front of their goalie 5 players wide for every faceoff... soccer style... instead of wasting a player on the dot.

misfit

5-14-6-1
Feb 2, 2004
just north of...everything
Lankow is interesting. Don't know much he's got left in the tank, but he's a player I always wished was an Oiler. He certainly used to kill us whenever he played us.

But as for the Belanger injury, that certainly hurts, but I don't have any problem using Lander in the 4C role as long as Horcoff is the #3. Either way, we need to do something with the excess defensemen holding down NHL spots. Either trade one or send someone to OKC, but when your only extra forward is an enforcer, that doesn't leave you with many options if a forward gets hurt like we saw with Horcoff. That's especially true when a centerman goes down.

Cam98

Jun 24, 2009
So its a broken foot? Out same amount of time as ray whitney?

BowDangles

May 2, 2010
Edmonton
Doesn't make sense to me if it is a broken bone because he was back on the ice at the end of the game was he not?

I am thinking it is big time swelling after he took his foot out of his skate for a prolonged period of time..

Besides face-off percentage, and I am not even sure what Lander's is, I don't think there is a HUGE drop between him and Belanger so with Horcoff in the line-up it shouldn't be a gapping hole if he Belanger is out..

Lander can kill penalties and play 4th line minutes similar to what Belanger does.

missinthejets

Dec 24, 2005
Doesn't make sense to me if it is a broken bone because he was back on the ice at the end of the game was he not?

guys finish games with broken bones in their feet all the time. Just a matter of dealing with the pain. The reason they don't play once they find out it's a broken bone is so the thing heals properly.

McJadeddog

Sep 25, 2003
Regina, Saskatchewan
So there still isn't word on exactly what is wrong with Belanger yet? You'd think if it was a broken bone, it would have been announced by now, as xrays don't require swelling to go down.

T-Funk

Oct 15, 2006
If it was a broken foot, wouldn't they just say he has a broken foot or broken bone in his foot?

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
If it was a broken foot, wouldn't they just say he has a broken foot or broken bone in his foot?

I'm going to go ahead and make the logical assumption that once Kreuger is made public after practice we will know what the injury is.

T-Funk

Oct 15, 2006
I honestly see very little difference in Belanger's play this year except a higher compete level.
His FO% is down and his offense still sucks, but still fine defensively just like last year.

Hockey Nightmare

Oct 25, 2007
Belanger's faceoff ability is crucial. Nonetheless, he doesn't provide high end offense, and his skill set can be replicated. If this team is truly any good, this shouldn't be a huge loss.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Belanger has an open cut on his foot so he will be out at least a week. He was put on IR so he is out at least 7 days.

From Gregor's latest blog.

subnet

5-14-6-1
Sponsor
Nov 6, 2005
PacNW
Open wound! Open wound! :scared:

I thought that with the Oilers, it goes like this...

Hangnail turns into scrape turns into open sore turns into staff infection turns into gangrene turns into amputation of toe turns into amputation of foot turns into amputation of entire lower body - out indefinitely?

Hockey Nightmare

Oct 25, 2007
Matheson says two broken toes...

Eric Belanger has two broken toes on his right foot (not the big one) after Colorado Avalanche defenceman Erik Johnson hammered a point shot off the Oilers’ centre’s leg last Saturday. He is on IR (you have to stay on injured reserve for at least a week). It’s retroctive to the end of last Saturday’s game but because the Oilers play an afternoon game in Detroit Feb. 9, he likely can’t return until Sunday Feb. 10 in Columbus. There’s a better chance he comes back Feb. 12 at home against Dallas. Until he can get his foot in a skate boot comfortably, he can’t even skate.

Belanger was also cut on his right arm for at least six stitches–a pressure cut–when he blocked a shot later in the first. He also took an errant stick inthe face, but didn’t get a penalty call.

http://blogs.edmontonjournal.com/2013/02/04/ryan-whitney-will-watch-canucks-game/

missinthejets

Dec 24, 2005
I honestly see very little difference in Belanger's play this year except a higher compete level.
His FO% is down and his offense still sucks, but still fine defensively just like last year.

and that doesn't make a huge difference?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->