Equivalents

orcatown

Feb 13, 2003
Visit site
Some comparisons in both style and potential. Maybe people can add others or change the comparisons

Kane - Barnes
van Riemsdyk - Pyatt
Turris - Brendan Morrison
Cherepanov - Sykora
Voracek -- Dvorak
Alzner -- Jackman
Gagner - his Dad
Mayorov - lower case Frolov
Ellerby - Allen
Backlund - Steen
Esposito - Riberio
Gillies - Scatchard
Couture - Vermette
Petrecki - Warrener/Gill
Perron - Guite
Hamill - Taffe
Hickey - Mojsis
Moller - Hudler
Shattenkirk - Yandle
Sutter - other Sutters (especialy the twins)
Hoeffel - Jason Jaffray
Blum - Krajicek

Others???

Rico Im Ur Fata

Jun 23, 2003
Hong Kong
Some comparisons in both style and potential. Maybe people can add others or change the comparisons

Kane - Barnes
van Riemsdyk - Pyatt
Cherepanov - Sykora
Voracek -- Dvorak
Alzner -- Jackman
Gagner - his Dad
Ellerby - Allen
Backlund - Steen
Esposito - Riberio
Gillies - Scatchard
Couture - Vermette
Petrecki - Warrener/Gill
Perron - Guite
Hamill - Taffe
Hickey - Mojsis
Moller - Hudler
Shattenkirk - Yandle
Hoeffel - Jason Jaffray
Blum - Krajicek

Others???

This year's draft can't be this weak, can it?

orcatown

Feb 13, 2003
Visit site
Draft is weak but in many cases the guys compared went on to have decent HNL careers. If you can get a player that will contribute to the team you're often doing well. Just think of the many outright busts in the first round. I think this year will see more than the usual quota of busts.

And yah it's Stu Batnes. When Barnes was drafted he was considered a top flight prospect much like Kane and went on to a good if not spectatular NHL career.

slade

Jan 4, 2007
18 Winspear Ltd.

Kane - Barnes
van Riemsdyk - Pyatt
Cherepanov - Sykora
Voracek -- Dvorak
Alzner -- Jackman
Gagner - his Dad
Ellerby - Allen
Backlund - Steen
Esposito - Riberio
Gillies - Scatchard
Couture - Vermette
Petrecki - Warrener/Gill
Perron - Guite
Hamill - Taffe
Hickey - Mojsis
Moller - Hudler
Shattenkirk - Yandle
Hoeffel - Jason Jaffray
Blum - Krajicek

Others???

i dont get it.

orcatown

Feb 13, 2003
Visit site
What's to get??? The comparison is b/w the prospect and how they will turn out in the NHL.

Kane will turn out like Barnes. etc.

harmonica

Apr 21, 2007
This thread keeps getting worse.

There is little to no chance Kane will turn out like Stu Barnes.

Arcane

Oct 25, 2006
kane - barnes and pyatt JVR are so off the mark it's not funny.

I can see some other ones though

IranCondraAffair

Mar 10, 2006
Honestly, as bad as some of those comparative careers are, at least they're NHLers which is more than can be expect of some of these guys.

Some people get so enamoured with thinking "kane = briere" or whatever flavour of the week is going on, that they forget how many 1st rounders never even make it much less become superstars.

I'd rather a guy who's going to have a solid but unspectacular NHL career than a Brendl who gets a great comparison when he's this young.

Redwingsfan

Global Moderator
Jul 15, 2006
so kane is like barnes because they had similar numbers in their draft year?? :dunno:

i dont get it. i dont see the similarity between barnes and kane. not at all.

GirardSpinorama

Aug 20, 2004
People often get way too worked up over a player's future career when the Draft gets close. This draft is pretty weak so some of these are fair. You can't expect the top of the draft to always turn out to be NHL stars, its just not realistic. Just check out past 1st rounds, not every 1st rounder is gonna turn into a top flight player.

Judas Tavares

S2S (Sundin2Sandin)
Sponsor
Feb 9, 2007
If they were this weak, I do not believe the GM's would bother showing up to the draft... pitiful...

fullmetalninja

Jan 11, 2003
Chicago
THis is where playing with Statistics is so much fun.

Stu Barnes did put up 141 pts in his draft year, of course he also played in 70 games.

But what is skewed in the comparison-- is not the games played, its the relative ease of putting up points.

Here is the 1988-89 WHL stats, http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/leagues/seasons/whl19791989.html

Here are the numbers of GF/GA:

Swift Cur: 447/319
Sask: 336/335
Med. Hat: 359/326
Prince Albert: 302/286
Lethbridge: 356 380
Moose Jaw 318 372
Brandon 286 331
Regina 306 358

Portland 408 395
Victoria 341 351
Kamloops 326 309
Tri-City 300 299
Seattle 315 276
Spokane 326 419

Here is the scoring in the OHL This year:

http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/leagues/seasons/ohl19892007.html

Only two teams in the OHL scored 300+ goals: London and Mississuaga. Only 4 teams game up more than 300 goals: Windsor, Erie, Oshawa, and Toronto.

Compare that with the 88/89 WHL where only 3 teams gave up less than 300, and Tricity was at 299!.. Only 1 team did not score at least 300 goals (Brandon). Again Tri-City was just at 300...

So let's do the math:

Barnes scored 4 less points in 12 more games in an era where scoring was substantially higher (hell the WHL with 14 teams had a combined 4756 goals in 88/89; the OHL this year had 5073 goals with 20 teams, just over 300 goals more!)

How will the statistics translate to NHL production? Who knows!

But we do know that your comaprison is just ridiculously stretched. I would also consider the # of goals scored (Kane averaged over 1 goal per game, Barnes had 52 goals in 70 games) as being a better metric of what type of player they are. Perhaps you can find other +1 goal/game guys that crashed and burned in the NHL as a scorer? Shremp as an Overager put up 1 goal/game of course, but not during his draft year.

-fullmetalninja

Last edited:

Redwingsfan

Global Moderator
Jul 15, 2006
People often get way too worked up over a player's future career when the Draft gets close. This draft is pretty weak so some of these are fair. You can't expect the top of the draft to always turn out to be NHL stars, its just not realistic. Just check out past 1st rounds, not every 1st rounder is gonna turn into a top flight player.

of course, but at least when i compare players i compare them to style of play. i dont write players of as busts before they are drafted.

orcatown

Feb 13, 2003
Visit site
Who is saying they are busts. Many of these players have had, or are having, very productive NHL careers. Is Barnes a bust? No. He is a good NHL player. Is he the star that people predicted at the time of his draft. Not so much. But he is a good player. Hopefuly Kane will be as good. Just as likely, however, he will not.

And you compare film of van Reimsdyk and Pyatt and they look totally alike. And Pyatt is emerging as a decent NHL winger. That's probably the best hope for van Reimsdyk.

What is happening here is that people will not acknowledge this is a very average draft. That's why teams were so willing to trade 1st round picks. I don't want to ***** anyone bubble but we go through this every year. Everyone looks like a star going into the draft. A few years later most are not. Indeed, many are outright busts. There have been so many high 1st round busts that you can guarantee that some of these guys will be busts. And there are many iffy prospects in the top 10 this year.

Right now every potential draft is like some shiny piece of gold. But history (and any forthright analysis of this draft) suggests that there are few stars. If you get a solid NHL out this draft you should be happy.

However, if you disagree with these comparisons let's hear your comparisons.

Redwingsfan

Global Moderator
Jul 15, 2006
what about guite, jaffray, taffe and mojzis. those guys are all busts and career ahl'ers.

i think van riemsdyk will be one of the best players out of this draft. he has A LOT more potential then pyatt IMO.

orcatown

Feb 13, 2003
Visit site
Jaffray will get an NHL contract next year. Taffe and Mojsis still have chance of being marginal NHL players. Taffe got some time with Phoenix last year and i think Mojsis got some time with St. Louis.

Pyatt got 24 goals last year. That's a solid year. Van Riemsdyk really skates like Pyatt. Remember Pyatt was drafted 7th overall.

Do you think there won't be any busts out of this draft???? History tells us there will be. Especially considering this is a weak draft year. You look back at other weak years and you see all kinds of busts

This comparison list is not unfair.

Redwingsfan

Global Moderator
Jul 15, 2006
Jaffray will get an NHL contract next year. Taffe and Mojsis still have chance of being marginal NHL players. Taffe got some time with Phoenix last year and i think Mojsis got some time with St. Louis.

Pyatt got 24 goals last year. That's a solid year. Van Riemsdyk really skates like Pyatt. Remember Pyatt was drafted 7th overall.

Do you think there won't be any busts out of this draft???? History tells us there will be. Especially considering this is a weak draft year. You look back at other weak years and you see all kinds of busts

This comparison list is not unfair.

of course there will be busts. but writing them off as busts allready is a bit unfair. i resspect your opinion, but i wouldnt use the same players to compare with myself.:)

Sam of Montreal

May 5, 2007
I kind of find it weird to put up comparisons between prospects and many young players who's upside we have not even seen yet.

When you compare Shattenkirk with Yandle, what is that suposed to mean to us? Yandle has played sut a handful of NHL games and has not shown what he can do at the NHL level so far.

Vermette has not shown all yet. Hudler either...

mlm

Mar 31, 2010
Petrecki does not resemble Gill but he did/does have a good career.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->