Equipment in the sun/heat

Phoenix

Mar 26, 2006
Does anyone know whether if you leave your bag/equipment in the car, which is parked in the sun all day (ie. hot), whether it does any damage to it?
My dad reckons it would wreck the glue etc...
He could be right but i know lots of guys who do do this without a second thought.

CheeseSandwich*

i've never had a problem except that the bacteria and **** gets cooked.

It smells real, real bad and I don't recommend it.

ModSquad

Jan 26, 2005
www.modsquadhockey.com
Does anyone know whether if you leave your bag/equipment in the car, which is parked in the sun all day (ie. hot), whether it does any damage to it?
He could be right but i know lots of guys who do do this without a second thought.

Yes, it does.

It is as if you are baking your gear...it gets soft and things that were meant to be hard will deform (helmets, skates)

I used to run a shop in a hot-climate area (Florida) and whenever I'd have to sharpen a skate that had been left in a car, it was very easy to squeeze the boot.

I don't recommend it at all.

MikeD

Jul 3, 2006
Buffalo NY
www.hawksice.com
For goalie gear, the fabrics and stitching are affected by UV. Some plastic insert pieces found in some catch gloves cacn deform. The tend to curl. The plastics in the helmet shells can also be weakened by UV. Netting on most recreational outdoor goals are not UV resistant. The heat will also soften the synthetics, allowing tighter stitching to pull into the fabric. In the car or in the house, direct sunlight should be avoided.

If there is anything worse for the gear, its sitting wet in its bag, In the winter time with freezing, the horror it can have on gear.

BuddehJuS

Nov 25, 2006
The stench alone should make you not want to do such a thing! ACK!
I air out my gear after every game and drench it in febreeze.

CaptBrannigan

Apr 5, 2006
Tampa
I've never encountered a problem, and I live in Florida. However, I don't make a practice of leaving it in the car and I believe the longest it's even sat in there is for a week one time. Everything in the bag will superheat and smell worse than normal, but the smell goes away. I have friends who have left their bags in the beds of their trucks (with bed covers) and this is even worse in terms of trapping heat. I would not recommend leaving it in there for even a day, if you can help it.

sc37

Jan 14, 2006
OH-IO
www.thescoreboards.com
I think someone here or on Modsquad was telling a story a while ago, about how a guys skate essentially collapsed on him when he hopped on the ice for a skate. Apparently the guy had his skates in his truck for like the whole day.

Phoenix

Mar 26, 2006
yikes ok, thanks ppl, at first I was aiming to leave it in the car for when i have to rush to hockey after work...but maybe I'll try and drag my bag into work with me :) Hey...the fun i could have in a lunch break!

BuddehJuS

Nov 25, 2006
I think someone here or on Modsquad was telling a story a while ago, about how a guys skate essentially collapsed on him when he hopped on the ice for a skate. Apparently the guy had his skates in his truck for like the whole day.

That seems odd, I kept my skates, just my skates, in the car for 3 weeks straight in the hot florida sun and they we're fine.

EmptyNetter

Jun 22, 2006
North Shore, MA

The stinky ones, right? ;)
Heat + wet hockey gear = bacterial orgy. The risk of staph infections makes it not worth trying. Bacteria plays a big part in breaking down the leather in skates and hockey gloves, too.

frito

Jan 27, 2007
Cincinnati

This is the same concept as having your skates baked. The guys at the proshop are insistant that you not skate on your skates witin 24 hours of having them baked as it can result in significant damage to them. Leaving them in a sun drenched car in the summer is essentially the same as baking them. I can see how they could break jumping onto the ice.

Gino 14

Aug 23, 2006
Why not save yourself all the doubt and air out your equipment when you get done using it?

Keetz

Sep 14, 2004
Little Falls
This is the same concept as having your skates baked. The guys at the proshop are insistant that you not skate on your skates witin 24 hours of having them baked as it can result in significant damage to them. Leaving them in a sun drenched car in the summer is essentially the same as baking them. I can see how they could break jumping onto the ice.

Your right! I actually saw a skate fall apart during a game the guy whent for a hard stop and his inside boot just ripped right off the blade mounts. but didn't know what it was. Considering I'm in Southern California, I'd bet thats just what happened.

bmxer

Apr 14, 2004
Finland
Air your stuff out properly after each use. It's the only way to go, and your equipment won't smell like rotten things.

Phoenix

Mar 26, 2006
Oh i always do...but this was more about having keeping aired clean gear in the boot for say about 5 hours in the boot in the sun...just so I don't have to duck home after work to pick up gear on the way to hockey. If I do, I'd be late.

Gino 14

Aug 23, 2006

Depending on who you talk to, you bake skates at 250 or higher. I highly doubt too many cars with the windows rolled up in direct sunlight get that hot. If that were the case, the inside of your car would start to melt.

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
I leave my gear out in the sun to kill bacteria.

On days when I have to leave it in a hot vehicle all day, I try to park in the shade, crack windows and keep the gear covered.

sc37

Jan 14, 2006
OH-IO
www.thescoreboards.com
Depending on who you talk to, you bake skates at 250 or higher. I highly doubt too many cars with the windows rolled up in direct sunlight get that hot. If that were the case, the inside of your car would start to melt.

I think 200-225 is about MAX for some skates for like 5 minutes or so. I'd say most skates are around 150-175. Your car can probably get to 125 and your skates arn't gonna be in there for 5 minutes, more like hours.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad