Equipment: EQUIPMENT/BEGINNERS - Buyer's Guide and Advice

AIREAYE

Jun 7, 2009
I mean, you really need to try some of this stuff on to see how far off you are. Some pants come with a +1 option, particularly certain mid/higher end models in the CCM Tacks line that have a zipper in the waist. Sounds like you'd fit better in a SR M shoulder pad versus a small though. I'm 5'9" 145 and I'm between sizes depending on the model/fit style of a particular shoulder pad.

Soedy

All Hail Cale
Nov 27, 2012
Hamburg, Germany
Not really a beginner but a "don't know what to buy" question.

I'm a long time goalie (20+ years) and about to switch to forward in a beer league.

I played a lot of seasons roller hockey as a forward so I have all the equipment. I also rock an old Jofa Chest protector from my stepdad but it does not have any protection worth noting. It is beer league and I don't plan to block a ton of shots but everybody knows, that there is always this one guy who has a bomb and can't aim at all. So I want to be somewhat protected.
Is it worth to invest some money? I thought about getting an older model for about 100€. Currently, I could get something like the CCM Tacks 4092, CCM Tacks 5092, CCM SP Quicklite 270 Warrior Alpha QX 3 for this price.

The Bauer Vapor X900 i.e. would be 120€.

Or can I save some money here and go with a mid-level / entry-level product? I know, as a goalie I would always go with a pro chesty but not sure about playing as a skater.

edit: nevermind. Just got the Easton Synergy EQ Pro for 77€. Can't go wrong with that, I think.

Last edited:

BogsDiamond

Anybody get 2 U yet?
Mar 16, 2008
Anyone have a pair of STX Surgeon hockey pants?
Found a cheap pair for $40 online. I play in a basic mens league so I don't need uber protection, just something lightweight.
I also need a +1 pant and it sounds like these have a zipper system to get an extra inch.

I've never heard of this brand till today so I'm wondering if they're any good.

althoma1

Nov 21, 2013
I have no experience with the STX pants, but own STX Surgeon 500 gloves and love them. STX has been big in lacrosse for years and has only been in hockey for a few years.

I prefer girdles and shells over traditional pants; they're lighter than most pants, I find them more mobile and prefer the tighter fit. They also provide enough protection for mens league (hell, some pros use girdles, but they usually have beefed up padding). I use the Warrior Projekt girdle, but there are many options. If you want more traditional pants then the STX pants are probably a solid option.

Reactions: BogsDiamond

BogsDiamond

Anybody get 2 U yet?
Mar 16, 2008
I have no experience with the STX pants, but own STX Surgeon 500 gloves and love them. STX has been big in lacrosse for years and has only been in hockey for a few years.

I prefer girdles and shells over traditional pants; they're lighter than most pants, I find them more mobile and prefer the tighter fit. They also provide enough protection for mens league (hell, some pros use girdles, but they usually have beefed up padding). I use the Warrior Projekt girdle, but there are many options. If you want more traditional pants then the STX pants are probably a solid option.

Thanks!
I love the girdle system. I ordered one online a few years ago and loved it. But they got wrecked and I'm thinking about trying regular pants again.

Thanks for the info brotha.

Grodon

Apr 9, 2017
I have trouble with regular pants, I have long legs so it either covers my thighs properly but the waist is super loose, or it fits my waist properly but my thigh is exposed. I've even tried the CCM's +1 zipper feature to no avail. So I went with a CCM Girdle/Shell combo, and it feels amazing, I love how it moves with my body because of the tighter fit. I had a hard time getting some shops to show them to me though, at least two tried to dissuade me from switching to them, which I found odd. Pro Hockey Life was the only one that carried a decent selection of them.

puckpilot

Oct 23, 2016
new skates - experiencing speed wobble; is this something that goes away with time / practice?

Not exactly sure what you mean by "speed wobble." Are your ankles wobbling when you're at speed?

Generally speaking, I find with new skates, it can be sometimes difficult to get the skate to tighten properly around the ankles because of the stiffness of new skates. So I don't get the same support as a skate that's been worn for a bit. I find it usually helps to put on the skates at home every day for the first little bit. I find it helps me get use to the feel of the new skate, and it helps me figure out how I should be tying my laces up in terms of tightness, etc.

kook10

Jun 27, 2011
I am looking for a reco on some new shin guards. I have played for a very long time, and am a silver level beer leaguer and play on a couple teams both forward and D. I am a huge guy - 6'4 275. I have been using some middle ccm quicklite qlts (don't remember exactly what model). A few times lately I have been tripped and bashed the hell out of my knee and cracked the pad's cap from the shin. I am looking to get something with more kneecap protection. I otherwise like the ccms - they are really lite and they have even been just fine blocking a lot of shots. Maybe they could use a little more calf coverage. I tried vapor 1x's and they just didnt sit right / were too anatomical (and shorter? for the same size). I was looking at the jetspeed ft390s, but I am also wondering if a two-piece construction is better / worth it? I go over the tongue.

LeifUK

Jan 2, 2018
One option is to wear knee pads made from a foam such as d3o or POC underneath the hockey shins. I wear Bauer 1s pants, but I need more coccyx protection so I also wear Xion d3o shorts underneath. They make a huge difference. Our goalie wears g-form knee pads beneath her goalie pads. Some CCM shins also have d3o in them, but I’m not sure if it is thick enough. Non Newtonian foams such as d3o and POC absorb shock far better than conventional foams. Just a suggestion.

Reactions: kook10

AIREAYE

Jun 7, 2009
I am looking for a reco on some new shin guards. I have played for a very long time, and am a silver level beer leaguer and play on a couple teams both forward and D. I am a huge guy - 6'4 275. I have been using some middle ccm quicklite qlts (don't remember exactly what model). A few times lately I have been tripped and bashed the hell out of my knee and cracked the pad's cap from the shin. I am looking to get something with more kneecap protection. I otherwise like the ccms - they are really lite and they have even been just fine blocking a lot of shots. Maybe they could use a little more calf coverage. I tried vapor 1x's and they just didnt sit right / were too anatomical (and shorter? for the same size). I was looking at the jetspeed ft390s, but I am also wondering if a two-piece construction is better / worth it? I go over the tongue.

Between Bauer and CCM, there are 5 families of protective. It seems to me that the slimmer, more anatomical families as you described, like Vapor or Jetspeed, aren't cutting it for you fully. Have you tried the slightly wider fits in Bauer Nexus and CCM Tacks?

Also, what do you mean by two-piece construction? All shin guards are two piece (kneecap+shin)...

Have you considered pro stock/pro return shin guards like some of the ones here? Hockey Shin Guards | Buy and Sell on SidelineSwap

The knee pad may be a good idea, just be sure you still fit properly in any shin guard once you put the pads on.

kook10

Jun 27, 2011
Between Bauer and CCM, there are 5 families of protective. It seems to me that the slimmer, more anatomical families as you described, like Vapor or Jetspeed, aren't cutting it for you fully. Have you tried the slightly wider fits in Bauer Nexus and CCM Tacks?

Also, what do you mean by two-piece construction? All shin guards are two piece (kneecap+shin)...

Have you considered pro stock/pro return shin guards like some of the ones here? Hockey Shin Guards | Buy and Sell on SidelineSwap

The knee pad may be a good idea, just be sure you still fit properly in any shin guard once you put the pads on.

...pretty sure the qlts were a single mold as the joint between the cap and shin is where it cracked/broke. The jetspeeds look the same? But the tacks and bauers look like true 2 pieces. I like the overall fit of the qlts, but a couple impacts this season made me worried i would break my kneecap.

I did take a look at a couple of pro stock sites and mostly have seen warriors. I dont think i would trust an insert, but the d30 or xrd foam sounds like a good idea. I am slightly concerned with the bulk/weight of the lesser tacks or nexus. I wasnt initially looking to spend 150+ on pair, but maybe santa will bring me some bauers 1s.

AIREAYE

Jun 7, 2009
...pretty sure the qlts were a single mold as the joint between the cap and shin is where it cracked/broke. The jetspeeds look the same? But the tacks and bauers look like true 2 pieces. I like the overall fit of the qlts, but a couple impacts this season made me worried i would break my kneecap.

I did take a look at a couple of pro stock sites and mostly have seen warriors. I dont think i would trust an insert, but the d30 or xrd foam sounds like a good idea. I am slightly concerned with the bulk/weight of the lesser tacks or nexus. I wasnt initially looking to spend 150+ on pair, but maybe santa will bring me some bauers 1s.
Ahh I see what you're saying about the QLTs. It's actually two piece, but connected with a hinge:

Do you think that the QLTs fit well on the kneecap? As in, upon impact, are they centered on your knee, or do they sit off, thus not fully absorbing impacts to the knee?

kook10

Jun 27, 2011
Ahh I see what you're saying about the QLTs. It's actually two piece, but connected with a hinge:

Do you think that the QLTs fit well on the kneecap? As in, upon impact, are they centered on your knee, or do they sit off, thus not fully absorbing impacts to the knee?

They feel fine just wearing them, but i think there is just not enough there - not enough to cradle the knee or to absorb a fall right on it. I tape up pretty good, so i don't think they are sliding out of position.

Tyler Durden

Sep 18, 2009
Hey what are your guys thoughts on the CCM FitLite helmets? Also what do you think of Oakley visors? Any recommendations for stores or websites that sell a good helmet and visor for good price? Thanks.

JaeTM

Dec 3, 2009
Long Island
When do manufacturers generally put their stuff on sale? Is it soon since it's going to be end of year or as the NHL season swings back around and they announce new stuff? (If this is even when they do it)

I've really had my stuff for a long time now and it's all starting to break down. I've looked on most of the major online retailers for discounted/clearanced "top" line stuff and it generally is never in sizes Large. I know it's the most common size but I've heard of people getting deals. Even the middle tier stuff they don't seem to have available.

One of things I'm looking for is a new helmet. Was looking at some of the higher end models as I don't mind spending a bit to protect my head but the Bauer 4500 has crazy good reviews and is only $70 on HM. Is this the best bang for your buck helmet? Mine is currently a Reebok so it shows its been a while since I've purchased one...

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
When do manufacturers generally put their stuff on sale? Is it soon since it's going to be end of year or as the NHL season swings back around and they announce new stuff? (If this is even when they do it)

I've really had my stuff for a long time now and it's all starting to break down. I've looked on most of the major online retailers for discounted/clearanced "top" line stuff and it generally is never in sizes Large. I know it's the most common size but I've heard of people getting deals. Even the middle tier stuff they don't seem to have available.

One of things I'm looking for is a new helmet. Was looking at some of the higher end models as I don't mind spending a bit to protect my head but the Bauer 4500 has crazy good reviews and is only $70 on HM. Is this the best bang for your buck helmet? Mine is currently a Reebok so it shows its been a while since I've purchased one...

I wear a Bauer 4500 and anyone who wears one isn't doing so because they want the most protective helmet on the market as the model has essentially been around now almost 25 years. It's bare bones protection.

althoma1

Nov 21, 2013

The new gear is usually released between May and July and equipment is cleared out between February and August. In my area, I know one LHS has a big weekend sale in late May and there's a store in my home town that has one in August. There are also in store clearance deals that aren't part of special sales events. When the best deals are put out varies by store, but I have had good luck in both February and August at some local Sport Chek locations.

For a helmet, you definitely want to try it on before purchasing. Ideally, you want to try on everything before buying it as fit is key, but helmets and skates are the two that absolutely must be tried on to know if they fit well. Don't have one particular model in mind with a helmet. Try on everything you can in various sizes and find a couple that fit well. After that you can then take price and aesthetics into account, but fit should be the number one priority with a helmet.

LeifUK

Jan 2, 2018

I had a 4500 and now wear a Reakt 200. The former is very basic with firm foam. The difference is huge, I took a slapshot to the forehead in the Reakt, didn’t feel it. That said, some knowledgeable people say no helmet will protect you from a heavy hit, as it won’t prevent rotation and deceleration.

Here in the UK Bauer seriously reduce stuff as new models come in, and they are staggered not simultaneous.

Reactions: JaeTM

JaeTM

Dec 3, 2009
Long Island
Thanks for the heads up. I was figuring the same but it had such good reviews I was a bit surprised. I think I'll try on some of the better models and go with that.

rh71

Nov 12, 2005
Long Island, NY
For shoulder pads' sternum and spine protection, is it better to have the injected hard plastic, or simply high-density foam? I feel there must be some reason that some higher-end models like the Supreme 190 skips the hard plastic and uses high density foam. My boys' current Easton RS shoulders have the hard plastic which I feel is indestructible but time has come to upgrade sizes. Maybe a comfort thing but I can't see how that could affect comfort.

LeifUK

Jan 2, 2018
The modern foams are very effective shock absorbers. CCM use some d3o which is incredible, I have it in body armour for public skating. I can whack a stick across my knee and feel nothing. You will need much more of the old fashioned foams for the same level of protection. Bauer also include some Curv composite in their top end pads, it’s a hard composite shell, and there is sometimes soft foam underneath. Bauer Supreme 1s armour is very good in my experience. I’m sure other top end stuff is comparable. I took a heavy fall on my upper back last week when a **** fouled me and pushed my feet forwards, my back felt almost nothing. I did bang my head though, but that is nothing to do with the shoulder pads.

Reactions: AIREAYE

TomFord

Oct 22, 2009
Stockholm
I have a question regarding goalie gloves, which of these are the better choice The Vapor X900 or the CCM Extreme Flex 3.9?

Melina

Dec 19, 2019
Hi there. My son is 10 years old and relatively out of shape. We are getting him involved in hockey because he really wants to play and we feel it will be a great opportunity for more physical activity (he's also been in martial arts for almost 2 years). However, we are having a hard time finding hockey gear that fits him with being short + overweight. He is 4' 6" tall. His waist, according to my tape measure, is 36". According to all gear sizing charts I'm finding online, this would put him in Senior XL gear. His chest measurement is pretty close to that as well. I am 100% sure that senior XL pants will be entirely too long and senior shoulder pads just wouldn't fit properly around the shoulders. The point of this long story... are there any brands that make "husky" hockey gear that are bigger on the waist but shorter in length for pants. And for shoulder pads...fit small shoulder but wide enough around the chest to strap in. Also, his shin pads...we have junior 12" which fits the length but the velcro straps are just too short. Any brands that have long shin pad straps? would senior 13" have longer straps than junior?
Thanks in advance for any constructive advise you may have. We are complete beginners in the hockey world.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad