Player Discussion: Episode 2 - Dan Geoffrion

Scheifele55

Jun 22, 2012
Winnipeg, Manitoba
I am so intrigued by the Winnipeg Jets in their early years. It fascinates me to read about some of the players they had back then and how they had some former early 1st round selections that were castoffs from other teams.

One player that peeks my curiosity is Dan Geoffrion. His lineage is nothing short of incredible. The son of Bernie "Boom Boom" Geoffrion and grand-son of Howie Morenz. It was only fitting that he was taken 8th overall by the Montreal Canadiens playing in 32 games before being dealt twice in one day for cash first to the Quebec Nordiques and then to the Winnipeg Jets.

In 78 games with the disgusting 1980-81 Winnipeg Jets he had 20 goals and 28 assists on what I gather was the 2nd line. He was only 22 at the end of the year and appeared to show promise for the future. The following year a 29 year old Willy Lindstrom passed him on the depth chart as Dan Geoffrion played his final NHL game with the team and spent the rest of his career in the minors before retiring after the 1982-83 season at the age of 25.

Can any old time fans, PLEASE tell me. What happened? Why was Dan Geoffrion, a former 1st round selection, with a pedigree second to none in the organization a castoff after scoring 20 goals on the worst Winnipeg Jets team ever? Any information you have is greatly appreciated?

Andy6

Court Jetster
Jun 3, 2011
Toronto, Ontario
I am so intrigued by the Winnipeg Jets in their early years. It fascinates me to read about some of the players they had back then and how they had some former early 1st round selections that were castoffs from other teams.

One player that peeks my curiosity is Dan Geoffrion. His lineage is nothing short of incredible. The son of Bernie "Boom Boom" Geoffrion and grand-son of Howie Morenz. It was only fitting that he was taken 8th overall by the Montreal Canadiens playing in 32 games before being dealt twice in one day for cash first to the Quebec Nordiques and then to the Winnipeg Jets.

In 78 games with the disgusting 1980-81 Winnipeg Jets he had 20 goals and 28 assists on what I gather was the 2nd line. He was only 22 at the end of the year and appeared to show promise for the future. The following year a 29 year old Willy Lindstrom passed him on the depth chart as Dan Geoffrion played his final NHL game with the team and spent the rest of his career in the minors before retiring after the 1982-83 season at the age of 25.

Can any old time fans, PLEASE tell me. What happened? Why was Dan Geoffrion, a former 1st round selection, with a pedigree second to none in the organization a castoff after scoring 20 goals on the worst Winnipeg Jets team ever? Any information you have is greatly appreciated?

20 goals was kind of like 12 goals now and first-round selections weren't nearly as revered as today (selections were more at the whim of a GM rather than scientific processes led by teams of guys in white lab coats, which is how it seems now). I don't remember any specifics, but he never seemed as though he was going to be around long. There were a quite a few pretty good forwards on "the worst Winnipeg Jets team ever". They really got unlucky that year, lost their confidence as the losing streak went on, and never felt as bad as their record looked (which isn't to say they were especially good, but there was no comparison with a team like the 1974-75 Capitals, who were truly hopeless).

Channelcat

Unhinged user
Feb 8, 2013
Canada
I'm not sure what the deal was. I remember him being pretty good! Maybe just didn't want to play hockey. Seemed like he faded away quite quickly.

blues10

Dec 10, 2010
Canada
I remember seeing him play live and on TV. Vaguely recall seeing Boom Boom at a few Jets games too.

If my memory serves me correctly he was a very poor skater.

If I find some time next weekend I will dig through my Jets archives and see if I have him in game video and give it a watch.

Reactions: bennylundholm

Scheifele55

Jun 22, 2012
Winnipeg, Manitoba
I remember seeing him play live and on TV. Vaguely recall seeing Boom Boom at a few Jets games too.

If my memory serves me correctly he was a very poor skater.

If I find some time next weekend I will dig through my Jets archives and see if I have him in game video and give it a watch.

If you have any games from back then, please post it to Youtube and message me the link. I love watching old games.

blues10

Dec 10, 2010
Canada
If you have any games from back then, please post it to Youtube and message me the link. I love watching old games.

I will see what I can dig up. It’s pre Ducky so I may not have anything.

The Feb 12/ 1981 game on YouTube vs the Rangers is fun. Jets getting punted around at times. Anders Steen in for the Jets, Rick Dudley and Rick Bowness playing on the same line and Dudley wearing #99 for the Jets. Christian gets a hatty with 2 goals coming in 26 seconds. Babych rookie season. Mattson, Lindstrom, Sullivan, Long, Lukowich in from former WHA Jets and Hedberg and Nilsson in for the Rangers. Future Jet Doug Soetart in net for the Rangers. Fun game if you can handle 50+ shots against.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Latvia vs Kazakhstan
    Latvia vs Kazakhstan
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $265.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Norway vs Denmark
    Norway vs Denmark
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $80.00