Great Britain: EPIHL and NIHL discussion thread

Duff35

May 1, 2013
Wisbech, UK
Not sure if it includes this weekends games (I know he didn't play on Saturday), but Vasiljevic hasn't exactly lit it up since that first weekend

To be frank, I think Slough signed the KHL equivalent of the local kid who is the 3rd goalie in training and sits on the bench when the back up or starter cannot play

See it all the time in the British leagues, normally the u18 goalie.

theknightwhosaidni

May 4, 2012
Im planning to study in the uk for a semester and im thinking about trying to play some hockey while im there. How´s the level of play in NIHL and EPIHL? I´ve watched a couple of videos on youtube and the NIHL looks pretty bad while EPIHL looks decent.
Not looking to make money, just play on a decent level.

Here is my eliteprospects profile: http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=3958

Siamese Dream

Feb 5, 2011
United Britain of Great Kingdom
Im planning to study in the uk for a semester and im thinking about trying to play some hockey while im there. How´s the level of play in NIHL and EPIHL? I´ve watched a couple of videos on youtube and the NIHL looks pretty bad while EPIHL looks decent.
Not looking to make money, just play on a decent level.

Here is my eliteprospects profile: http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=3958

In which city will you be studying? Looking at your stats you would likely have to play in the NIHL, most teams have open tryouts but depending on your location you may be near one of the more professional clubs and you would have to contact them. Some teams at this level will pay a wage, some expenses, some nothing at all, and some pay to play

Siamese Dream

Feb 5, 2011
EPIHL playoff quarter finals this weekend

Bracknell Bees (8) v Manchester Phoenix (1)
Sheffield Steeldogs (7) v Basingstoke Bison (2)
Swindon Wildcats (6) v Milton Keynes Lightning (3)
Telford Tigers (5) v Guildford Flames (4)

3 Minute Minor

Sep 29, 2009
Manchester were the season Champs and making a good run in the playoffs and yet they have one of the worst junior systems?

Manchester U12 (North 1) 1-12-0
Manchester U14 (North 1) 0-15-0
Manchester U16 (North 2) 8-3-0
Manchester U18 (North 1) 1-15-0

how the hell

Siamese Dream

Feb 5, 2011
Manchester were the season Champs and making a good run in the playoffs and yet they have one of the worst junior systems?

Manchester U12 (North 1) 1-12-0
Manchester U14 (North 1) 0-15-0
Manchester U16 (North 2) 8-3-0
Manchester U18 (North 1) 1-15-0

how the hell

48087167.jpg

And a fairly big budget.

None of their players actually come from Manchester

3 Minute Minor

Sep 29, 2009
Any idea if Selby was playing D or F with them?

I saw he only had 3 points in 15 games. He seems like the kid that will go completely backwards in GB senior hockey from teenage EIHLer to an average NIHL player in a few years. Actually that's not backwards at all in GB senior hockey :sarcasm:

kungfumonk

Mar 9, 2013
Summer signings started at Billingham

Michael Bowman and Ritchie Thornton return and we have signed Stuart Thomas-Dant and Chris Sykes from Sutton and Tom Keeley has returned to the UK and signed with us.

Sounds like Stephen Wallace is hanging his stakes up though.

ferociousfred

Sep 4, 2012
Hello, just wondering if any of you could help me out with an NIHL question:

Im a Canadian with an EU-passport, I've played in the semi-pro Australian league and two years of Junior B hockey in Western Canada. After my junior eligibility is up I plan to move to the UK, and am interested in playing in the NIHL. Just wondering what teams at this level offer players (i.e. billeting, help finding a job, wage). Any/all info would be helpful, cheers!

Siamese Dream

Feb 5, 2011
Hello, just wondering if any of you could help me out with an NIHL question:

Im a Canadian with an EU-passport, I've played in the semi-pro Australian league and two years of Junior B hockey in Western Canada. After my junior eligibility is up I plan to move to the UK, and am interested in playing in the NIHL. Just wondering what teams at this level offer players (i.e. billeting, help finding a job, wage). Any/all info would be helpful, cheers!

Depends which part of the country you are moving to. What teams offer players varies greatly depending on the resources of the club. Some teams where they are the top level team in their rink will offer good players up to and including £200 a week along with billeting, others will merely offer travel expenses, some will give you nothing, and at the lowest level of the NIHL (usually division 2) you will have to pay a monthly fee to play.

It depends how good you are really. There are a few EU passport Canadians who have played in the southern conference, and they've nearly all been Ontario Junior A and then NCAA III or CIS players. Since the teams are only allowed 2 imports you have to be a standout player at this level to warrant an import spot on one of the better teams. You might be looking at having to play for a division 2 club.

kungfumonk

Mar 9, 2013
Well Billinghams team has taken shape and looks in a very healthy state this year.

Wallace has hung up his skates being the big loss but we should still have a team to push Solway and Blackburn.

Just a shame about the mess the league is in 7/10 split in the north!

Siamese Dream

Feb 5, 2011
Well Billinghams team has taken shape and looks in a very healthy state this year.

Wallace has hung up his skates being the big loss but we should still have a team to push Solway and Blackburn.

Just a shame about the mess the league is in 7/10 split in the north!

The NIHL has been turned into a complete farce this year, north and south.

The south division 2 has been split into an eastern group with 6 teams and a western group with 5 and you only play the teams in your group, 4 times each. This was done under the guise of "cutting travel expenses" despite the fact that the western teams will now have an extra trip across the most expensive stretch of water per mile in the world, the Solent, and an extra trip to Cardiff paying the Severn Bridge Toll, which is quite a lot if your team takes a bus.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad