Entry Draft Lottery results a big secret

Status
Not open for further replies.

slumpy43

Mar 30, 2005
USA
How about televising the whole thing but do it a different way. Teams that have 3 balls could have 1 ball and teams that have 1 ball have 3 balls. Then, the first ball that comes out has the last pick. It would build a lot of suspense when there's only five teams left and finally see who gets the first pick.

Sanderson

Sep 10, 2002
Hamburg, Germany
The NBA does it in the same way and I never heard anybody complain about them wasting any chances...

The guys who "ran this league into the ground" have nothing whatsoever to do with this. The guys who are responsible for this, were also responsible for tripling the revenue, not for spending too much money on players.

ChrisKreider20

But y u mad?
Jul 21, 2004
Toronto
I'm the hoping the results go as follows.

1. NYR
29. PHI
30. TOR

Then The Rangers get 1st overall, 31st overall, 32 overall, end of 2nd round. :)

turnbuckle*

I agree 100 %.

Is there not still time to do something about it? Why not start an online petition, and forward it to Bettman and Daly ASAP? Either that or everybody e-mail Daly and let them know how they feel. Who's got Daly's e-mail address?

I agree that they're missing a big opportunity here, even if it will only be closely followed in Canada. TSN is going to be covering all of the proceeding live that day anyway, why not give the viewers some high drama? Does the NBA not hold the draft lottery live during the NBA playoffs? Why not then, on the day the NHL is getting back to business, could they not televise this most important lottery, especially with EVERY team having a shot at the most anticipated prospect to hit the league since Lindros or perhaps even Lemieux?

GSC2k2*

MikeJones said:
Michael Jordan, obviously.
I would have thought so. I thought you were referrig to one anecdote instead of two. I thought you were suggesting that the "frozen envelope" was in connection with the team that had been taken over by Michael Jordan. Obviously I see now you were referring to (1) the Patrick Ewing story, and (2) the Kwame Brown pick by Washington after being taken over by Jordan.

Both complete and utter horse****, of course...

turnbuckle*

Rancid said:
I'm the hoping the results go as follows.

1. NYR
29. PHI
30. TOR

Then The Rangers get 1st overall, 31st overall, 32 overall, end of 2nd round. :)

Huh? Oh...they got their 2nd rounders - I hope it works out well for you given my dislike for those teams and Sather's drafting record - you'll likely end up with stiffs anyway.

Jag68Sid87

Sullivan gots to go!
Oct 1, 2003
Montreal, QC
helicecopter said:
No. You would have 72 balls ( long process) and you would indeed alter the odds. If they are going to keep 48 balls and want to start with pick #30 they have to complete the order (from 1 through 30) drawing out the 48 balls and than reverse it.

helice,
thank you for setting me straight. I knew I was missing something, but I couldn't figure it out. I'm not an accountant but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night.

:D

salty justice

May 25, 2004
Los Angeles
They are televising the announcement of the draft order and the draft. It just makes more sense to do the drawing before hand to assure no **** ups like Toronto getting Crosby :sarcasm:

FLYLine27*

BUCH
Nov 9, 2004
NY
Off The Wire said:
I was talking more along the lines of the actual draft lottery.

Deciding it behind closed doors and then coming out, saying team A has the #1 pick is booooooooring.

They have a chance to make this into a big production and I fear they are going to drop the ball on this one...again.

Get over it, thats how it has been done forever.

Hedberg

MLD Glue Guy
Jan 9, 2005
BC, Canada
bcrt2000 said:
i'm assuming they are doing the lottery ahead of time (at the BOG meeting just before the press conference) just because they want to make it glitch free in the short amount of time they have, and they probably want to do a reverse reveal of the draft order, because once its revealed who is picking #1, no one will care about who is picking #2 or #30.. i'm guessing they'll have crosby in the jersey of the team that gets #1 ready to come out as well

Reveal it from 1 to 30. Think of all the fans that will be upset as soon as team is not called. 30-1 is stupid because then only two teams have a chance at #1, while everyteam would have a chance at #1 if it is reavelead 1-30

Resolute

Mar 4, 2005
AB
helicecopter said:
Draws are regularly televised in front of millions of people's eye in Europe for UEFA and FIFA competitions. That's a very weak argument to say the least.

And North America could care less about soccer. What Europeans like is also a very weak argument.

jacketracket*

Hedberg16 said:
Reveal it from 1 to 30. Think of all the fans that will be upset as soon as team is not called. 30-1 is stupid because then only two teams have a chance at #1, while everyteam would have a chance at #1 if it is reavelead 1-30
... but the drama would be over after the first pick, going 1-30.

helicecopter

Mar 8, 2003
give me higher shots
Visit site
Resolute said:
And North America could care less about soccer. What Europeans like is also a very weak argument.
:shakehead How the fact North Americans could care less about soccer is related with the argument??

European care about soccer and lotteries of soccer competitions are shown on European televisions.
Canadians care about hockey and this lottery should be shown on a Canadian television.

Got it?

helicecopter

Mar 8, 2003
give me higher shots
Visit site
Jag68Vlady27 said:
helice,
thank you for setting me straight. I knew I was missing something, but I couldn't figure it out. I'm not an accountant but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night.

:D
Actually i could have done it better.. as pointed out above, demonic's proposal looks like the real deal!

Last edited:

Transplanted Caper

2x ATD Co-Champion
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2003
Hedberg16 said:

And as soon as #1 is revealed half the networks break away to announce and talk about Crosby going to Team X. Do it form 30-1 and I think you have better television.

helicecopter

Mar 8, 2003
give me higher shots
Visit site
slumpy43 said:
How about televising the whole thing but do it a different way. Teams that have 3 balls could have 1 ball and teams that have 1 ball have 3 balls. Then, the first ball that comes out has the last pick. It would build a lot of suspense when there's only five teams left and finally see who gets the first pick.
Agree about televising the whole thing. But you have to do it differently, cause this way you would have 72 balls (long process) and moreover you would alter the odds.

This matter is already discussed in another thread:
http://www.hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=151373&page=3

This seems to be the best way to do it:
demonic said:
..just draw all 48 balls and only count the last ball drawn for a particular team. So if the Ranger's balls are drawn at positions 41, 27 and 12, then they get the 12th pick.

FLYLine27*

BUCH
Nov 9, 2004
NY
helicecopter said:
:shakehead
NO touch icing? Get over it, that's how it has been done forever..

What the hell does a rule change have to do with ANYTHING??????? We are talking about the DRAFT LOTTERY.

JohnnyReb

Apr 26, 2003
Visit site
cw7 said:
The chances the drawing gets aired live is pretty low; with all the fiddling around they will have to do between picking each ball, it would make for bad TV. Many minutes of boredom, and maybe a few seconds of actual suspense.

Ever watch a real draft? One second to make the pick, 20 minutes of interviews, analysis, commercials, and TV footage of the next GM to pick talking on the phone, with speculation as to "what it all means."

Actual drafts are pretty boring too, when you think about it. But since there appears to be a good deal of interest in this one, why in the world would they not televise it? What are they worried about? Poor TV ratings? Sullying their good name? Come on.

Make it an hour long show. After 30 minutes, and the first 5-10 picks are made, whatever networks that want to bail, can bail. The die-hards, like TSN, can follow it through until the bitter end. 30 minutes of air time certainly won't kill a network, now would it?

Crazy_Ike

Cookin' with fire.
Mar 29, 2005
Network? What network?

Get it through your heads, guys - outside the die hard hockey audience, no one cares about this draft. Sidney Crosby is a nobody to the casual fan still.

TSN and sportsnet would probably like it. No one else will. That's it. There's nothing else to discuss.

turnbuckle*

FLYLine4LIFE said:
Get over it, thats how it has been done forever.

Hmm I wonder what the odds are that you're a kid, either that or an ignoramus. Life before 1993 doesn't exist in your books I guess. Just because the league has been doing it one way for the past 12 years (forever in your books) doesn't necessarily mean it's right. P.S. - that's why the fella made that no touch icing comment - was that too hard to comprehend?

It shall be repeated - this is a big PR moment for the league, and instead of taking advantage of it, Bettman has theorized that announcing the picks himself is the most exciting way of doing it. He is once again wrong.

As for taking an average of a team's three balls; it doesn't make sense. Let's say a team with three balls averages 20th pick, but another team has also averaged the the 20th selection. Then what do you do? NY gets the 11th, 19th and 30th pick for an average of 20th, but Buff gets 5, 27th and 28th, for an average of 20th also. Then Columbus picks the 9th, 25th and 26th picks - averages out to....20th.
It would be a nightmare.

The way to do it is to make 30 picks, with the first one being the 1st selection, the 2nd the second selection and so on. Every time a team with more than one ball is picked, their remaining balls are removed. You can't do it in reverse order either, as I first surmised in an earlier thread, because the teams with more balls would actually be penalized.

FLYLine27*

BUCH
Nov 9, 2004
NY
turnbuckle said:
Hmm I wonder what the odds are that you're a kid, either that or an ignoramus. Life before 1993 doesn't exist in your books I guess. Just because the leaguerhas been doing it one way doesn't necessarily mean it's right.

It shall be repeated - this is a big PR moment for ther league, and instead of taking advantage of it, Bettman has theorized that announcing the picks himself is the most exciting way of doing it. He is once again wrong.

As for taking an average of a team's three balls; it doesn't make sense. Let's say a team with three balls averages 20th pick, but another team has also averaged the the 20th selection. Then what do you do? NY gets the 11th, 19th and 30th pick for an average of 20th, but Buff gets 5, 27th and 28th, for an average of 20th also. Then Columbus picks the 9th, 25th and 26th picks - averages out to....20th.
It would be a nightmare.

The way to do it is to make 30 picks, with the first one being the 1st selection, the 2nd the second selection and so on. Every time a team with more than one ball is picked, their remaining balls are removed. You can't do it in reverse order either, as I first surmised in an earlier thread, because the teams with more balls would actually be penalized.

This is a BIG PR chance? For what? Only die-hards would tune in on a saturday afternoon. And half of them dont care if its on TV or not..majority of the ones that want it live are the ones crying it will be fixed. Which it wont because the lottery isnt just taking place with Bettman in a room by himself but in a room with a rep from every team like it is done every year.

Last edited:

Transplanted Caper

2x ATD Co-Champion
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2003
FLYLine4LIFE said:
This is a BIG PR chance? For what? Only die-hards would tune in on a saturday afternoon. And half of them dont care if its on TV or not..the only ones that want it live are the babies crying it will be fixed. Which it wont because the lottery isnt just taking place with Bettman in a room by himself but in a room with a rep from every team like it is done every year.

Its a big PR chance becuase those die hards will tune in. The networks can have pre and post lottery analysis and it can be packaged to a target audience. I dont want it on tv so that its not rigged, i want it on tv (nba style ) because i think it would be excititng

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->