Enough with the "Mcbackup" title

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vaive50

Dec 24, 2015
Curtis McElhinney has really saved the Leafs bacon many times this season. I'm sure it started out as a joke last season when more than half the fans started calling him"McBackup". But enough is enough with that, just think about it, if he is reading these forums or if someone from his family is reading these forums, what a disrespect they must feel that more than half the fans here still won't use his proper last name "McElhinney" pronounced "Mac-el-hiney". It's not funny anymore.

He has a record of 9-4-0, a save percentage of .931 (2nd best in the league), a GAA of 2.25 (also second best in the league) so please, lets all start using his proper name already. It feels good to know that if Andersen does get hurt, we still have a top notch goalie who can play just as good as Andersen.

Joey Hoser

Jan 8, 2008
Guelph
Odd thing to take exception to. I don't even see how it's disrespectful. It's just a lame pun.

I really don't think it's offending his family. Maybe I'm just insensitive.

TheCLAM

Oct 11, 2012
Niagara Falls
Curtis McElhinney has really saved the Leafs bacon many times this season. I'm sure it started out as a joke last season when more than half the fans started calling him"McBackup". But enough is enough with that, just think about it, if he is reading these forums or if someone from his family is reading these forums, what a disrespect they must feel that more than half the fans here still won't use his proper last name "McElhinney" pronounced "Mac-el-hiney". It's not funny anymore.

He has a record of 9-4-0, a save percentage of .931 (2nd best in the league), a GAA of 2.25 (also second best in the league) so please, lets all start using his proper name already. It feels good to know that if Andersen does get hurt, we still have a top notch goalie who can play just as good as Andersen.

LMAO okay there snowflake

Liminality

Oct 22, 2008
To be honest I was doing it cause it was shorter than his actual name.
McBackup McElhinney

Tall Morty

Visualize the action to actualize the vision
Apr 18, 2017
I like him too and I don't call him McBackup. That said, he is a backup. So I really don't think it's offensive.

Savvy

Sep 30, 2006
Mississauga
I’ve really hit the age where I’m left wondering on a pretty constant basis whether I’ve just become the old man complaining about the youth or the youth has really become so entitled, whiny and stupid that they’ll complain about anything

It’s a nickname, not a insult. I’m sure no one in his family is crying over it

Joey Hoser

Jan 8, 2008
Guelph
I’ve really hit the age where I’m left wondering on a pretty constant basis whether I’ve just become the old man complaining about the youth or the youth has really become so entitled, whiny and stupid that they’ll complain about anything

It’s a nickname, not a insult. I’m sure no one in his family is crying over it

The person's name is Vaive50. I doubt they're a youth.

Do people not remember the 90's when adults used to lose their minds and clutch their pearls over Bart Simpson telling people to get bent and eat his shorts?

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
It's actually a sign of respect. He's the ultimate backup. He's McBackup.

If we all called him McAHLGoalieAndNoMore, then I could see it being offensive.

Schenn

In Rod We Trust
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2009
Huron County
The person's name is Vaive50. I doubt they're a youth.

Do people not remember the 90's when adults used to lose their minds and clutch their pearls over Bart Simpson telling people to get bent and eat his shorts?

354062.jpg

cannucky

Aug 18, 2011
Pretty sure that nickname has been with him since before he was a Leaf , he's been a backup his whole career and has earned the right to carry that handle with pride . in fact at this point the way he's played for us the last 2 years if there is anything to be offended by it's that fact that he is just our backup , Andy can take an extended rest we'll upgrade his name to McStarter for a while , at least until he falters and deserves the mythical rap that he can't handle a full time job that he has never had .

ITM

As Long As It Takes
Jan 26, 2012
It’s perfectly good natured and fine to refer to McElhinney (which is NOT pronounced Mac-el-HINEY) as “McBackup” because it’s plainly understood as a term of endearment.

And if a person doesn’t want to refer to a player by a harmless, immaterial nickname of their club’s backup goalie, then that’s fine too.

I can’t see those who like using the nick creating a thread for those who don’t, citing the ethical and moral necessity to do so...

...mostly because of the empty, narcissistic exercise that it obviously is and also, because it’s dumb.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->