Enough lockout talk: Marketability of Sidney Crosby in USA

Status
Not open for further replies.

Onion Boy

Jan 29, 2004
Brooklyn, NY
Jason MacIsaac said:
The NHL has no way to stop him. Like I said, they can't change have a draft without the CBA. The NHL can't just make a draft without it.

NHL teams can't sign players without a CBA either.

s7ark

RIP
Jul 3, 2003
octopi said:
Amen to that. Gretzky was protected like noone else in the game, with the added fortune of the prime of his carreer being during the era of the scorefest. Gretzky was a great player, but IMHO, he is not the best of all time.

Wow, just wow. You must not have seen him play. He was absolutely the best ever. He has a 1000 point lead on the next highest scoring player!!!

Gretz was "protected" by having guys like Semenko, McSorley, and Brown, coupled with no instigator rule. There was no rule that gretz couldn't be hit, it was just that if you hit him you would get the snot beat out of you and everyone knew that. But every team used to have their goon to protect their stars, that was how the game was played back then.

And you fail to take into account the the reason he played in the high scoring era is because he and the Oilers CREATED that era. The league was very defensive in the 70s and early 80s and it wasn't until the Oilers beat the Islanders in 84 that that changed. It wasn't like every team got together and said, "k, now we are just going to try to score" The Oilers played a style that focused on offense first and you'd have to outscore them to win. And because they were so successful, other teams started playing the same way.

come on. 5 goals in 39 games, 51 game point streak, fastest player ever to 500 goals, 92 goals, 215 points, 2700+ points in his career. These are numbers that can't be explained away with "He had protection". He still had to go out and do those things.

nomorekids

The original, baby
Feb 28, 2003
Nashville, TN
www.twitter.com
s7ark said:
Wow, just wow. You must not have seen him play. He was absolutely the best ever. He has a 1000 point lead on the next highest scoring player!!!

Gretz was "protected" by having guys like Semenko, McSorley, and Brown, coupled with no instigator rule. There was no rule that gretz couldn't be hit, it was just that if you hit him you would get the snot beat out of you and everyone knew that. But every team used to have their goon to protect their stars, that was how the game was played back then.

And you fail to take into account the the reason he played in the high scoring era is because he and the Oilers CREATED that era. The league was very defensive in the 70s and early 80s and it wasn't until the Oilers beat the Islanders in 84 that that changed. It wasn't like every team got together and said, "k, now we are just going to try to score" The Oilers played a style that focused on offense first and you'd have to outscore them to win. And because they were so successful, other teams started playing the same way.

come on. 5 goals in 39 games, 51 game point streak, fastest player ever to 500 goals, 92 goals, 215 points, 2700+ points in his career. These are numbers that can't be explained away with "He had protection". He still had to go out and do those things.

I agree that Gretzky is the best FORWARD of all time...but if I'm picking the best all around player...the most skilled...for me it's Bobby Orr, but that's been beat to death in debate around here, and this isn't the thread for it.

Jason MacIsaac

Jan 13, 2004
Halifax, NS
nomorekids said:
hey, let him go on. i'm just proud\surprised he hasn't predicted that crosby would sign with the Devils ;)
I'm also surprised you didn't attack me for saying he would choose Toronto or Montreal rather then a American team.

nomorekids

The original, baby
Feb 28, 2003
Nashville, TN
www.twitter.com
Jason MacIsaac said:
I'm also surprised you didn't attack me for saying he would choose Toronto or Montreal rather then a American team.

Nah, doesn't bother me a lick!

I think this kid's got "biggest bust since Daigle" written all over him, and I'd rather have Brule anyhow ;)

nomorekids

The original, baby
Feb 28, 2003
Nashville, TN
www.twitter.com
Jason MacIsaac said:
AHL teams can.

Which equates to "doesn't mean a damn thing" to the NHL parent club. He could get all settled in playing with Hamilton or St John's and the second the NHL was able to bargain with him, all that wouldn't mean anything. The Rangers could offer him 8 million a year(though hopefully there would be a system in place ensuring they couldn't) and all that would go out the window.

Jason MacIsaac

Jan 13, 2004
Halifax, NS
nomorekids said:
Which equates to "doesn't mean a damn thing" to the NHL parent club. He could get all settled in playing with Hamilton or St John's and the second the NHL was able to bargain with him, all that wouldn't mean anything. The Rangers could offer him 8 million a year(though hopefully there would be a system in place ensuring they couldn't) and all that would go out the window.
It means something.....Albany signs McAmmond, when the NHL comes back he will be New Jersey's property....they may have to renegotiate the contract but in essence he will be a Devil.

nomorekids

The original, baby
Feb 28, 2003
Nashville, TN
www.twitter.com
Jason MacIsaac said:
It means something.....Albany signs McAmmond, when the NHL comes back he will be New Jersey's property....they may have to renegotiate the contract but in essence he will be a Devil.

That's not true, actually. The River Rats and Devils have an agreement\association, but if a player signs with the River Rats exclusively...to an AHL contract...then that player is the property of that AHL team. It's true that the Devils have a decided edge in negotiating a contract with McAmmond...but he could in theory sign with anyone else, if he didn't sign with the Devils. The Predators underwent something similar with Denny Lambert 3 years ago. Jon Sim and PJ Stock play for AHL teams completely unrelated to who owns their NHL rights. The AHL and NHL become funny, with lines blurring, when it comes to AHL contracts.

Jason MacIsaac

Jan 13, 2004
Halifax, NS
nomorekids said:
That's not true, actually. The River Rats and Devils have an agreement\association, but if a player signs with the River Rats exclusively...to an AHL contract...then that player is the property of that AHL team. It's true that the Devils have a decided edge in negotiating a contract with McAmmond...but he could in theory sign with anyone else, if he didn't sign with the Devils. The Predators underwent something similar with Denny Lambert 3 years ago. Jon Sim and PJ Stock play for AHL teams completely unrelated to who owns their NHL rights. The AHL and NHL become funny, with lines blurring, when it comes to AHL contracts.
I know that....the point was that there wouldn't be a draft and the 2005 prospects would become UFA's....with that status they could sign with the AHL team. They wouldn't be allowed to play but that would make them property of the AHL team where they could play when they are 20.

Silver

Mar 23, 2002
California
Visit site
nomorekids said:
Nah, doesn't bother me a lick!

I think this kid's got "biggest bust since Daigle" written all over him, and I'd rather have Brule anyhow ;)

I don't think he's a Daigle, but I sometimes wonder why all the fuss about the second coming of Jason Spezza.

NYIsles1*

Accord said:
The NHL will fix the draft so Crosby goes to the Rangers just like the NBA did in 1985 to ensure that Patrick Ewing went to the New York Knicks :teach:.
Why is the NHL going to fix a lottery to put Crosby into the Yankees market where he will play in almost total obscurity? This is a market where Jagr, Yashin, Brodeur and loads of star players have played and been almost completely ignored in the media because of the enormous draw and marketing other sports teams have with the public.

pei fan

Jan 3, 2004
Wherever Crosby goes I hope it's somewhere the coach will give him a lead role
right away and put him back at center.I think he'd be great with Nash in Columbus,
I could see there styles really meshing.Columbus too,has the potential to be a
successful U.S. market and I think having Crosby would help.

futurcorerock

Nov 15, 2003
Columbus, OH
Jason MacIsaac said:
The NHL has no way to stop him. Like I said, they can't change have a draft without the CBA. The NHL can't just make a draft without it. Whats wrong with Crosby going to Montreal? I would rather it a Canadian team then an american. He will get his proper marketablility.
The NHL can stop whatever it wants to regarding its own league. Bettman wouldnt let the kid go as a FA. The hype already has him running the gammut through the draft and on to his team.

The point of the montreal statement is that the NHL is very cozy with the United States. Make no mistake -- they'd much rather have Crosby playing hockey in the US in a major media hub. Its just obvious that he's going to get more exposure here than in Canada.

Jason MacIsaac

Jan 13, 2004
Halifax, NS
futurcorerock said:
The NHL can stop whatever it wants to regarding its own league. Bettman wouldnt let the kid go as a FA. The hype already has him running the gammut through the draft and on to his team.

The point of the montreal statement is that the NHL is very cozy with the United States. Make no mistake -- they'd much rather have Crosby playing hockey in the US in a major media hub. Its just obvious that he's going to get more exposure here than in Canada.
Whats he going to say.....that AHL team (whom I don't commish) can't sign that kid. lol

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->