Great Britain: English Premier Ice Hockey League future not looking great

Rigafan

Jul 28, 2016
Europe
Still can't fix why hockey never worked in U.K., seeing how big hockey is in Massachusetts and all the old Britain colons state in united states. Went to several Magnus league games in France, without being huge, french have quite a following, with exporting guys like Roussel, Bellemare, Huet...

One issue is nobody thinks future, only right now. The Elite league isn't interested in developing players - fair enough its an entertainment league. But the league below which has now gone, the EPL was a development league but only in name and was basically the 2nd tier trying to be entertainment businesses or they'd all have gone bankrupt.

Then you have IHUK - Run the Elite league and Team GB and English Ice Hockey Association who run the development of side and coaching but do basically nothing for anybody.

It needs to collapse and start over! its almost at that point now

Siamese Dream

Feb 5, 2011
United Britain of Great Kingdom
There has always been too much focus on fans and not participation. People see it as only a spectator sport.

People point at Nottingham Panthers having the 38th or something highest average attendance in Europe and say look how great this is, look how much the game is growing

But the Nottingham Panthers average more spectators per game than the total number of junior hockey players in the country.

Again to use Nottingham as an example the university varsity game fills the arena every year, but the number of people participating in university hockey is pitiful

Rigafan

Jul 28, 2016
Europe
There has always been too much focus on fans and not participation. People see it as only a spectator sport.

People point at Nottingham Panthers having the 38th or something highest average attendance in Europe and say look how great this is, look how much the game is growing

But the Nottingham Panthers average more spectators per game than the total number of junior hockey players in the country.

Again to use Nottingham as an example the university varsity game fills the arena every year, but the number of people participating in university hockey is pitiful

That's a very interesting way to look at it!

The other thing that saddens me is when a new rink is announced, currently Leeds. All fans start complaining when the capacity isn't going to be enough for EIHL hockey.. We need rinks regardless of seating numbers! More people playing always equals better for the game overall.

Reactions: Vandalay Industries

Siamese Dream

Feb 5, 2011
That's a very interesting way to look at it!

The other thing that saddens me is when a new rink is announced, currently Leeds. All fans start complaining when the capacity isn't going to be enough for EIHL hockey.. We need rinks regardless of seating numbers! More people playing always equals better for the game overall.

Oh absolutely. "How many seats will it have?" Is always the first comment when there's a new rink plan announced.

Rigafan

Jul 28, 2016
Europe
The mess that is the EPIHL collasping is getting worse.

After all the EPIHL teams were accepted in to National Leagues - Oxford have no said they are applying to drop from NIHL 1 to NIHL 2 as fears over competing with the ex EPIHL teams on a finaical level. Supposedly Invicta have said the same thing (no realise from them yet)

So it looks like the NIHL is slowly turning into the new EPL minus 2 imports. What a total mess and the governing body stays quiet!

Siamese Dream

Feb 5, 2011
Solent (not surprising) and Chelmsford (extremely shocking since they've dominated the NIHL south for years) are the teams that applied to drop out of the league, Oxford followed suit.

Official statement from governing body now out

Rigafan

Jul 28, 2016
Europe
Solent (not surprising) and Chelmsford (extremely shocking since they've dominated the NIHL south for years) are the teams that applied to drop out of the league, Oxford followed suit.

Official statement from governing body now out

I'm seeing a lot of hate towards Chemlsford. I don't follow the NIHL too much but I see they pretty much dominate their league, 5 years 5 champs! Now they are worried they won't win? Is what I'm reading

Kiev the Great

Aug 21, 2014
I'm seeing a lot of hate towards Chemlsford. I don't follow the NIHL too much but I see they pretty much dominate their league, 5 years 5 champs! Now they are worried they won't win? Is what I'm reading

Partly justified criticism IMHO, but worth remembering that the reason they dropped to the NIHL from the EPL was because of increasing costs when big teams joined. There is a significant case of history repeating.

AnAceOfKidneys

May 2, 2014
here are a couple bbc radio interviews with mgt from Oxford and Telford:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p0528xzl (from 21 min.)

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p051t669 (from 2h33min)

can't wait to see Chelmo beat up on NIHL2 teams :shakehead

south_park_stanleys_cup.png

what a mess.

Siamese Dream

Feb 5, 2011
This is what they should really come up with if they are sensible and put owners' egos and self-interest aside and no excuses about "travel". There's 25 teams so 2 divisions of 8 and a division of 9 with enforced promotion and relegation.

Division 1

Basingstoke Bison
Bracknell Bees
Peterborough Phantoms
Swindon Wildcats
Chelmsford Chieftains
Invicta Dynamos
Streatham Redhawks
London Raiders

Play everybody 6 times = 42 games, just about the limit for the old NIHL1 teams. EPL teams may want more so they can have a cup.

Division 2

Oxford City Stars
Milton Keynes Thunder
Solent Devils
Bracknell Hornets
Cardiff Fire
Peterborough Phantoms 2
Chelmsford Warriors
Bristol Pitbulls

Play everybody 4 times = 28 games (enter a cup if you want more)

Division 3

Basingstoke Buffalo
Cardiff Fire 2
Guildford Phoenix
Haringey Hounds
Invicta Mustangs
Lee Valley Lions
Oxford City Stars 2
Slough Jets
Swindon Wildcats 2

Play everybody twice = 16 games (most teams at this level are happy with this) and enter a cup if you want more.

Last edited:

AnAceOfKidneys

May 2, 2014
This is what they should really come up with if they are sensible and put owners' egos and self-interest aside and no excuses about "travel". There's 25 teams so 2 divisions of 8 and a division of 9 with enforced promotion and relegation.

Division 1

Basingstoke Bison
Bracknell Bees
Peterborough Phantoms
Swindon Wildcats
Chelmsford Chieftains
Invicta Dynamos
Streatham Redhawks
London Raiders

Play everybody 6 times = 42 games, just about the limit for the old NIHL1 teams. EPL teams may want more so they can have a cup.

Division 2

Oxford City Stars
Milton Keynes Thunder
Solent Devils
Bracknell Hornets
Cardiff Fire
Peterborough Phantoms 2
Chelmsford Warriors
Bristol Pitbulls

Play everybody 4 times = 28 games (enter a cup if you want more)

Division 3

Basingstoke Buffalo
Cardiff Fire 2
Guildford Phoenix
Haringey Hounds
Invicta Mustangs
Lee Valley Lions
Oxford City Stars 2
Slough Jets
Swindon Wildcats 2

Play everybody twice = 16 games (most teams at this level are happy with this) and enter a cup if you want more.

I think your post makes sense. I wish that the EIHA had enforceable, audit able means to enforce financial rules for this league structure/system, otherwise.....blammo in 2-3 years once again when chequebook hockey resurfaces everything goes to hell....plus (I admit I don't think too kindly of Chelmsford hockey), they would never want to enter a league where they didn't feel they had a chance of dominating, and they are probably not the only team (Invicta and Mama's boy Kevin Parrish)....ban all imports, except for the eilte league where they can can do what they want because they are an entertainment league.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad